Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
They have lasagna in dune?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The scene in that one episode of Star Trek The Next Generation where a bunch of crewmembers go into the holodeck to try to recreate their erased memories of alien abduction freaked me out so bad when I was a kid

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

I had forgotten what psychosis is like

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I like that the holodeck’s first idea of a metal table is a terrifying bondage/torture/vivisection table, instead of like an aluminum folding table or something.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Barclay programmed it, so

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

The scene in that one episode of Star Trek The Next Generation where a bunch of crewmembers go into the holodeck to try to recreate their erased memories of alien abduction freaked me out so bad when I was a kid

I first watched the series three years ago and it freaked me out then lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I like that the holodeck’s first idea of a metal table is a terrifying bondage/torture/vivisection table, instead of like an aluminum folding table or something.

It wasn't just metal table, the request was for an inclined man-sized metal table. The holodeck knew where they were going with that

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

kalel posted:

I first watched the series three years ago and it freaked me out then lol

That episode + Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County gave me an abiding phobia of alien abduction until I was well into my teens

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Fire In The Sky is the ultimate "jesus christ, alien abduction is horrifying" movie.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Communion was a really good movie night movie because it's an alien abduction movie that makes no sense and is horribly structured because it's based on a true story, and the true story, really, is that basically nothing happened and then later they "remembered" that there were actually aliens there, and instead of just telling the final version of the story, where the aliens were there the whole time, the movie is about the process of definitely-not-just-making-up the story by continually "remembering" more stuff that happened

so near the start of the movie you see the event as it probably really happened, which is, there are some unexplained lights, and the intruder alarm goes off.
then the whole rest of the movie is christopher walken going "wait, actually there were aliens there... actually, yeah, they came in the house! :eek: actually, I remember this now, because of hypnosis, they actually took me on board their starship. actually I just remembered, I've been in contact with them my whole life. we're friends in fact." and then he just goes and hangs out with the aliens on their ship and he high-fives them and does a little dance

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I liked the recent “No One Will Save You” for an abduction movie. Kaitlyn Dever is really great.

I just really enjoyed the aliens stumbling upon humanity’s greatest natural born killer

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

mysterious frankie posted:

Villeneuve’s movies, to me, are like fancy car commercials. Specifically, the kind where they try to impart with hushed reverence the sense that this car embodies sophistication as it drives elegantly through nature, then stops on a dime next to its brethren cars and the voice over goes “The all new Pinnacle Immanence Series 7. Within. Beyond”. I don’t think I’ve ever liked a whole Villenueve movie, but I’ve always enjoyed individual scenes. Dune I liked maybe the most of all of his movies, but that’s because it’s Dune, and also because it was Covid times and I got it day of release on HBO Max. It did seem like he was trying to undersell the weirdness of a setting where they genetically engineer dog chairs, but it definitely looked impressive.

I have to eat my words on this one. Rewatched Dune tonight and it was tremendous. Gonna go see the 70mm print of Dune 2 at The Music Box next weekend. Probably rewatch some of his other films too, and see if I wasn’t just in a bad mood for the last… 11… years.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

ive seen dune part 1 like 3 times, sicario, and arrival and i actually agree with your first assessment on villeneuve. blade runner 2 was the only movie of his i have really loved.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Dune 2 was great and I'm glad it's doing well. People actually do still want to go see stuff in theaters, it just has to actually be good, who'da thunk it. DV seems like the only current director who can actually make things look amazing and huge in a way that actually registers. I liked both movies but I suspect some people who didn't love the first one may appreciate that a lot of stuff finally really goes down in this one. I wouldn't call the first one "boring" but it obviously didn't pay off a lot of things.

It is long though. Don't be like my wife who had 2 beers and ended up having to go to the bathroom during the scene where Paul finds out that they're Harkonnens. Conserve your moisture!

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Cubone posted:

Communion was a really good movie night movie because it's an alien abduction movie that makes no sense and is horribly structured because it's based on a true story, and the true story, really, is that basically nothing happened and then later they "remembered" that there were actually aliens there, and instead of just telling the final version of the story, where the aliens were there the whole time, the movie is about the process of definitely-not-just-making-up the story by continually "remembering" more stuff that happened

so near the start of the movie you see the event as it probably really happened, which is, there are some unexplained lights, and the intruder alarm goes off.
then the whole rest of the movie is christopher walken going "wait, actually there were aliens there... actually, yeah, they came in the house! :eek: actually, I remember this now, because of hypnosis, they actually took me on board their starship. actually I just remembered, I've been in contact with them my whole life. we're friends in fact." and then he just goes and hangs out with the aliens on their ship and he high-fives them and does a little dance

The communion book is extremely intense and terrifying (I mean it's obviously fiction and the author is a massive liar) which gave me the old alien abduction phobia. The movie instantly cured this, because, well, we need a new word now that the r word is a slur because nothing else fits. Maybe we could say "Amy Pascal is extremely Communioned" when she announces an Uncle Ben prequel starring Jared Leto next quarter.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dune 1 and 2 are very very good but nothing has hit quite as well for me as Blade Runner 2049. That is a movie that succeeds at everything it wants to do and it does so with the albatross of Jared Leto hanging off its neck, succeeding in spite of him.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Arc Hammer posted:

Dune 1 and 2 are very very good but nothing has hit quite as well for me as Blade Runner 2049. That is a movie that succeeds at everything it wants to do and it does so with the albatross of Jared Leto hanging off its neck, succeeding in spite of him.

To be fair he is playing a shithead rear end in a top hat who can’t get everything he wants so it seems like a good fit

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I thought Jared Leto wasn't too necessary to Blade Runner 2049. I know his character was in it to order Luv around but he coulda been chopped out in an edit no problem

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sir Lemming posted:

Paul finds out that they're Harkonnens. Conserve your moisture!

Honestly, just saying it is about all the movie does, so it's not like she missed much. That was an extremely underbaked plotline and also I was in the theater going "Oh gently caress George Lucas stole that from Dune too!"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Arc Hammer posted:

Agreed, BR2049's a 5 star movie for me.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
2049 is about as great as a big budget sci fi blockbuster can be

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

as much as I've loved dunc 1 and 2, 2049's dv's masterpiece. I think jared leto is perfectly cast as the weirdo capitalist with delusions of grandeur

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Cubone posted:

Yeah, it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TobVZQkzrmQ

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Hackers film 1995 posted:

ive seen dune part 1 like 3 times, sicario, and arrival and i actually agree with your first assessment on villeneuve. blade runner 2 was the only movie of his i have really loved.

quote:

also, everyone else who mentioned 2049

I think that’s the one I’m circling back to first, after I watch Dune: Part 2. It’ll look even better this time around, since I recently discovered TCL moved all the calibration settings that used to be housed in a (discontinued) mobile app to the settings menus on the tv itself, so I was able to fix some gamma correction issues, disabled noise reduction, and properly calibrated the color and white balance values. It’s noticeably better and I’m enjoying putting on visually arresting movies to test it out.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Hackers film 1995 posted:

Same here, but I don't quite love BR2 either, although it would rate it the highest among his work. All of his movies feel sterile to me. They have some great visuals and are certainly well done on a technical level, but they generally leave me feeling cold. I watched Dune part 1 again last night to see if I would feel differently and I barely made it through the entire thing.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Illmade posted:

The Harkonnens also fire a laser at Duncan's clearly-shielded ornithopter. Based on what we see, there does not appear to be any adverse relation at all between shields and lasers in the movies.

pretty sure the book mentions the explosions as a chance thing, so they dont go off every time but when they do its massive so everyone kinda agreed to not use lasguns on shields

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

PostNouveau posted:

Honestly, just saying it is about all the movie does, so it's not like she missed much. That was an extremely underbaked plotline and also I was in the theater going "Oh gently caress George Lucas stole that from Dune too!"

Yeah it wasn't much to see visually, it was a lot to unpack in a quiet "did I miss anything?" though.

Also the Alamo did a great pre-show as usual, including some pretty inspired film mash-ups (including Beetlejuice sandworms), a compilation of all the filmed versions of Dune spliced together, and the Fatboy Slim "Weapon of Choice" music video (which already included both Christopher Walken and a Dune reference).

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I don't even think the Harkonnen reveal is that consequential to the overall stakes of the story. I totally forgot it even happened in the book, I thought maybe it was invented for the movie.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Rageaholic posted:

Just watched Wonka because it showed up on Max. It looked absolutely dreadful from the trailers, so I didn't bother seeing it in theaters, but then I heard a bunch of people praising it for being charming which really confused me. I figured I'd try to go in with an open mind, though.

Turns out my reaction to the trailers was right. It sucked, and wasn't even charming like I'd heard. I'm sure there were worse movies that came out last year, but this one was painfully dull. The only memorable scene was at the end when Wonka and his friend nearly get drowned with chocolate and it looks like they're drowning in poo poo.

It's a stealth musical, and there's a segment of people out there who will seemingly go wild for anything musical

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

shoeberto posted:

I don't even think the Harkonnen reveal is that consequential to the overall stakes of the story. I totally forgot it even happened in the book, I thought maybe it was invented for the movie.

Oh does that not come up again? It certainly seemed like they were setting up that Paul is now the heir to the Harkonnen line but the Bene Gesserits have another heir that he doesn't know about.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

From what I remember of the books it never comes up again, no.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
OK, well that's two minutes they could have clipped out of it then

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

shoeberto posted:

It's the entire reason that Children goes to poo poo, Alia is taken over by the Baron inside her. Amazingly enough coming to full consciousness inside the womb comes with some real loving drawbacks, especially if you are psychically awakened to everyone who has ever been part of your bloodline.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

in the context of the film I think the heritage reveal is in service of the mood/themes rather than the plot. I interpreted it to be a dramatic irony that the sworn enemies of the atreides are in fact their relatives (similar to real life feudal power struggles and infighting). it's also a literal manifestation of the idea that they are the same; with respect to the fremen, the atreides are no better than the harkonnens because ultimately they are both colonizers. you could also read it as some bio-essentialist thing, like "hark blood literally physically makes you evil" which apparently is what it sounded like that old libertarian kook herbert was going for

kalel fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 10, 2024

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Ok that’s enough dune. Can we please talk about Ricky Stanicky now!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
people say george stole everything from dune but anakin clearly said he hates sand which completely disproves that theory

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Does secret baby Harkonnen not overthrow evil dictator Paul? Because it would be funny if Rise of Skywalker was also ripped off Dune

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Telluric Whistler posted:

It's a stealth musical, and there's a segment of people out there who will seemingly go wild for anything musical
The music wasn't even any good though!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rageaholic posted:

The music wasn't even any good though!

What you mean you don't want to listen to Twinkothee strain to sing Pure Imagination while the Hugh Grant Oompa Loompa does spoken verse commentary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Does secret baby Harkonnen not overthrow evil dictator Paul? Because it would be funny if Rise of Skywalker was also ripped off Dune

Paul's actions did eventually lead to Dune becoming green and nearly sandless. I think he eventually comes back around to sand though.