Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

FFT posted:

or just watch the Abridged version on youtube

Early Abridged has some jokes that absolutely do not hold up well and were even on the out when it was released

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ChthonicMasturbatr posted:

Somehow I managed to just completely miss the existence of Dragonball in my youth. But that comment is making me wonder whether I should give it a try. Does it hold up?
Kai is probably your best bet if you're hopping in blind. I watched most of the original DB and DBZ, and while I did enjoy them a lot when I was younger, they ABSOLUTELY are glacial at times. one of the studio animators remarked on how during the Freiza Saga they had caught up to the manga in the middle of it, and managed to stretch three PANELS into an entire episode. granted, they worked it out pretty well all things considered(turning a brief few panels of characters checking in on each other during an evacuation into a full blown episode of it iirc) but there is absolutely a ton of powering up and reaction shots to pad things out.

but it is still a solid story imo. Vegeta is one of my favorite characters ever, his character arc is fantastic. and like, it's totally fine with being absolutely ridiculous and fun. like the Ginyu Force is a bunch of flamboyant space clowns who have a choreographed pose for the team figured out, but they're also actual threats.

also, like, Dragon Ball itself is such an iconic, it's probably worth reading entirely for its cultural impact itself. Like, Dragon Ball as a series is insanely influential.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 00:56 on Mar 9, 2024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FFT posted:

or just watch the Abridged version on youtube

Dameius posted:

Early Abridged has some jokes that absolutely do not hold up well and were even on the out when it was released

Yeah Team Four Star have done rewatches of their stuff and admitted they don't stand by their previous output. That's fine, honestly - I've got posts on SA I'm not proud of, even if they got laughs at the time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I barely even stand by the post I'm writing now.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Their version of Mr. Popo is the canon one as far as I'm concerned.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah Team Four Star have done rewatches of their stuff and admitted they don't stand by their previous output. That's fine, honestly - I've got posts on SA I'm not proud of, even if they got laughs at the time.

Yeah, I had a bit of nostalgia during the pandemic and went to rewatch it and it was pretty rough going.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tesseraction posted:

Even some of early Hellsing Abridged is very rough, and you can treat it as a vertical core sample of how their work's evolved over time because it was an annual Halloween special.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TulliusCicero posted:

Her dad has millions of dollars from construction so her family basically owns her district

She's never been told no ever

She's like Ultra Instinct Karen

LaserPrinter69 posted:

KAAA MAYYY HAAA MAY I SPEAK TO YOUR MANAGERRRRRR

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Dragonball Z Kai is great and you don't need to worry about missing the authentic experience because there are still several episodes where nothing happens.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Though I hope they kept in the filler eps like the one where Goku gets a driver's license.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Though I hope they kept in the filler eps like the one where Goku gets a driver's license.

If I'm not mistaken that was one of the filler episodes that was taken directly from the manga and so it made it into Kai.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Goku AND Piccolo, 2 nearly god like beings that can loving FLY and everyone knows they can fly, get thier drivers licenses.

Toriyama was a legend and the world is poorer with him gone

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Similar flex as a regular person riding a horse.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:ohdear: You've been here for two years; you should know better than to troll SH/SC. :ohdear:

Waltar posted:

what kinda animes do you like

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Marcade posted:

Their version of Mr. Popo is the canon one as far as I'm concerned.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Begemot posted:

Humans do not like animal companions dying, period. You cannot prevent us from pack-bonding, it's impossible.

Even when they were using literal canaries in literal coal mines, the miners would use a special device to prevent the bird from dying after it fainted from carbon monoxide.

not very funny but I just want everyone to see this canary oxygen container

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Also educational, I did not know that! Thank you for sharing it.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The article in the URL posted:

My impression from hearing about canaries in coal mines was that they were expected to die to warn people, so when I came across this object it was a huge relief (though my research on the topic has found less thoughtful cages).

I also spent a long time thinking the miners just let their canaries die on the regular and I think it was just last year I learned otherwise, that they bring the bird topside and start trying to resuscitate it. However I now realize I learned this fact and immediately put it in mental storage in a way where I have sort of vaguely half-pictured this canary resuscitation not as a tiny oxygen cage (obviously correct) but as human-to-bird CPR, with a huge grimy coal miner (probably wearing a headlamp still) providing minute mouth-to-beak breaths and the tiniest most careful chest compressions, pausing to check for canary consciousness every two to four seconds, the whole 9 yards. This mental image does not hold up to even an instant of scrutiny and I am both baffled by my ability to form it and yet also not surprised at all that I did

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I also spent a long time thinking the miners just let their canaries die on the regular and I think it was just last year I learned otherwise, that they bring the bird topside and start trying to resuscitate it. However I now realize I learned this fact and immediately put it in mental storage in a way where I have sort of vaguely half-pictured this canary resuscitation not as a tiny oxygen cage (obviously correct) but as human-to-bird CPR, with a huge grimy coal miner (probably wearing a headlamp still) providing minute mouth-to-beak breaths and the tiniest most careful chest compressions, pausing to check for canary consciousness every two to four seconds, the whole 9 yards. This mental image does not hold up to even an instant of scrutiny and I am both baffled by my ability to form it and yet also not surprised at all that I did

Clearly they'd use a bike pump. :colbert:

(I also assumed they just let the canaries die on the regular until now. It's interesting and wonderful to see how much they cared for them and tried to save them though. :allears:.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ChthonicMasturbatr posted:

Somehow I managed to just completely miss the existence of Dragonball in my youth. But that comment is making me wonder whether I should give it a try. Does it hold up?

If you like people snarling in mid-air and bragging about their power levels for fifteen minutes straight before throwing a stupid punch then give it a go.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Now I want to go follow that quote link but I'm worried it will blow up my last read position on something

The one about the canaries I mean.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Canaries weren't that cheap back then. Maybe rich miners could afford single-use canaries, but regular folks had to master mouth to beak to stay in the black.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

They were down those mines to earn money for more canaries in the first place!

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I dunno, canaries generally go cheap cheap cheap cheap

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Boooooo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sapozhnik posted:

Now I want to go follow that quote link but I'm worried it will blow up my last read position on something

The one about the canaries I mean.
it is a quote from the dungeon meshi thread. So unless you're currently reading/watching it, you're good.

...dungeon meshi is exceptionally good and everyone should try it(D&D adventurer party goes dungeon diving and is too poor to afford supplies so they learn to cook the monsters they encounter instead)

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

:dadjoke:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I cannot imagine why your mind would jump to large, gruff, muscular men tenderly going mouth to beak with a literal bird.

Truly a mystery.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Splicer posted:

I cannot imagine why your mind would jump to large, gruff, muscular men tenderly going mouth to beak with a literal bird.

Truly a mystery.

:lmao: get out

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

you can stay

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Splicer posted:

Truly a mystery.

Thank you for making the joke so I didn't have to lmao

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Didn't have to go far to post content here today

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Splicer posted:

Truly a mystery.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hey in case anyone else wants to see it it's here as well

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Splicer posted:

Truly a mystery.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Biplane posted:

They were down those mines to earn money for more canaries in the first place!

And who sold them those canaries? That's right, the company store.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Captain Invictus posted:

it is a quote from the dungeon meshi thread. So unless you're currently reading/watching it, you're good.

...dungeon meshi is exceptionally good and everyone should try it(D&D adventurer party goes dungeon diving and is too poor to afford supplies so they learn to cook the monsters they encounter instead)

:dadjoke:

Worth mentioning that the English localized name is Delicious in Dungeon. As in, the published manga doesn't say Dungeon Meshi on the cover, that's just what weebs call it.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
you load sixteen tons and what do you get / a small yellow bird that you keep as a pet

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Empty Sandwich posted:

you load sixteen tons and what do you get / a small yellow bird that you keep as a pet

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Empty Sandwich posted:

The funny quotes are coming from inside the thread.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
My favorite Dragonball z memory is wandering through the toy dept at Walmart in the late 90s/early 00s and seeing a tiny figure of Goku and laughing at the fact it was called Dragonballz because there was little to no space on the title. This was way before I started watching the series or knew it existed.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Empty Sandwich posted:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Worth mentioning that the English localized name is Delicious in Dungeon. As in, the published manga doesn't say Dungeon Meshi on the cover, that's just what weebs call it.
Yeah but "Delicious in Dungeon" is a bad title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FFT posted:

Yeah but "Delicious in Dungeon" is a bad title.

You're a bad title.