Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

this will make his Hof plaque look wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

mcmagic posted:

How is Lance Lynn still around lol

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
John Mozeliak is your answer

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Cubs roster moves:

Optioned to Triple-A Iowa:
RHP Ben Brown (No. 11 on MLB Pipeline's Top 30 list for the Cubs)
INF Luis Vazquez (No. 20)
OF Crow-Armstrong (No. 1)
OF Brennen Davis

Optioned to Double-A Tennessee:
RHP Michael Arias (No. 14)
RHP Porter Hodge (No. 29)
OF Alcántara (No. 6)

Reassigned to Minor League camp:
RHP Ethan Roberts
RHP Riley Thompson
C Pablo Aliendo (No. 23)
INF Matt Shaw (No. 5)
OF Caissie (No. 3)

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
https://x.com/sahadevsharma/status/1766506341340692782?s=46&t=qe_Y8YJnNikGLo_JUDPyAQ

BALLS OF STEELE

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/smartbackwards/status/1766466162706002074

This looks like the yips or an arm injury

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Assuming those clips are chronological, it kinda looks like he was sailing a bunch of throws for whatever reason and then started to compensate by throwing lower, which results in a lot of slow bounces to 1B that either don't get or just barely get the runner.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Knoblauchesque

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Knoblauchesque

God, remember that? What a time. The man went from Rookie of the Year, to winning four rings and making four All-Star games, to a guy who literally could not throw the ball to first base.

How does this happen? How could a man reconcile his own skills being brought so low with the love of a decent God?

Probably kept him out of the Hall of Fame, too. 44 WAR in eleven seasons, cut short because he lost the ability to throw a ball.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mdemone posted:

How does this happen? How could a man reconcile his own skills being brought so low with the love of a decent God?

Probably the same way he reconciled the love of a decent god with the multiple violent domestic assaults he committed.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Sydin posted:

Probably the same way he reconciled the love of a decent god with the multiple violent domestic assaults he committed.

:staredog:

I'm just now learning this. Okay then.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oswald Peraza is out 6-8 weeks

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Smiling serenely to myself as John Mozeliak says this, as if the remaining SP FAs will be available in mid-April

quote:

“I definitely feel (adding pitching depth) is not something that is required at this point,” Mozeliak said the morning after Gray’s injury. “If something changes, we’d have to look at it differently, but we’re not thinking we’ll have to do that at this point.”

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Gavin Sux

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

mdemone posted:

God, remember that? What a time. The man went from Rookie of the Year, to winning four rings and making four All-Star games, to a guy who literally could not throw the ball to first base.

Probably kept him out of the Hall of Fame, too. 44 WAR in eleven seasons, cut short because he lost the ability to throw a ball.

Rick Ankiel goes in-depth in his book about his struggles with The Yips. It's a fascinating psychological phenomenon.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Rick Ankiel goes in-depth in his book about his struggles with The Yips. It's a fascinating psychological phenomenon.

Kinda terrifying. I've played basketball my whole life and if I suddenly stopped being able to shoot in anything like a normal motion, I would be convinced I had a brain tumor.

edit: I guess I can understand if you're a pitcher, because every part of your delivery has to be precisely crafted. but throwing the ball to first base is not hard

mdemone fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 9, 2024

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Busting out my favorite stat ever once more:

Barry Bonds vs Rick Ankiel: 0/3, 3k

That loving curve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixXgZYb01xc

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Criminal Minded posted:

Busting out my favorite stat ever once more:

Barry Bonds vs Rick Ankiel: 0/3, 3k

That loving curve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixXgZYb01xc

I remember when Sports Illustrated was all excited about Ankiel as a young prospect, and then his mind didn't make the turn and went into the wall

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

poor Gavin Lux looked so bad at short so far in the spring that Mookie is now the "permanent, for now" shortstop with Lux at 2B

https://twitter.com/juanctoribio/status/1766220101685334186

They should have just made Lux the 2B from the get-go. Dude has Glayber syndrome.

But also the Dodgers have kinda let their infield become a total mess without a clear way out of it over the last couple seasons.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It’s definitely the yips with Lux, he also looks shaken at 2B now.

Last year he was gearing up to go into the season as the starting shortstop which was always considered a stretch of his defensive ability, then he suffered that ACL tear in spring training and had to sit a whole season. The pressure now is immense im sure.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

They probably should have retained one of the two all star shortstops they employed in recent years but here we are

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

It’s definitely the yips with Lux, he also looks shaken at 2B now.

Last year he was gearing up to go into the season as the starting shortstop which was always considered a stretch of his defensive ability, then he suffered that ACL tear in spring training and had to sit a whole season. The pressure now is immense im sure.

bawfuls posted:

They probably should have retained one of the two all star shortstops they employed in recent years but here we are

Yeah, there were so many "Oh, the Dodgers let Turner walk and then Lux got hurt? They're not worried!" headlines from MLB writers but...they should have been very worried?!

They have Freeman, who is obviously elite, but everybody else is defensively challenged and probably playing out of position now.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Muncy is good enough at 3B but they do kinda need Rojas’ glove to anchor that infield in the middle

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

DeepDickPizza posted:

Aside from Stroman, I feel like the Cubs were pretty lucky on the injury front last year. I have a bad feeling that will not be the case this season.

To wit: Jameson Taillon was supposed to make his first spring start and injured his back during warmups.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

DeepDickPizza posted:

To wit: Jameson Taillon was supposed to make his first spring start and injured his back during warmups.

So we remain lucky, got it.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Poque posted:

alonzomourningshrug.gif

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

lmao

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Poque posted:

lmao

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Stanek is a solid pickup Mariner fans. As long as he's your third or second best reliever you'll love him. If he's your closer he will drive you up the wall.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/isLucario/status/1766373947975561552?t=IU33hkjtkgeznfCAP1EMOA&s=19

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Bowman today:

quote:

Closer Raisel Iglesias, A.J. Minter, Joe Jiménez, Pierce Johnson and Aaron Bummer are virtual locks to fill five of the eight bullpen spots. Each of these relievers will be on the Opening Day roster barring injury.
[...]
The top candidates for the final three bullpen spots are Tyler Matzek, Dylan Lee, Jackson Stephens and possibly Reynoldo López. Matzek and Lee really just have to prove they are healthy and ready to be consistently effective once the season starts.
It seems like they're serious about trying Lopez as a starter? Not a bad bullpen at all is that's how it shakes out.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

What the gently caress I feel like I'm disassociating right now how is this real

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Bowman today:

It seems like they're serious about trying Lopez as a starter? Not a bad bullpen at all is that's how it shakes out.

Culberson deep in the back pocket I hope

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
News: Went to the Savanna Banana's game at MinuteMaid last night
Views: It was loving awesome and well worth the ticket price.

Rodger Clemens and Roy Oswalt came in to pitch in separate innings as surprise players and I'm pretty sure Josh Riddick batted at some point. Clemens and Oswalt had me nostalgic for 2005. Also Oswalt came out like this lmfao;

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Did you get hexed by the Infield Warlock

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

This morning we were looking at tickets for the Bananas when they come through town later this summer, but they start at $210. After parking, food, and merch it’d be like $1,000 for my family to go. That’s insane.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

$210??? Jesus

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Thats insane. Ive only seen some of that stuff in passing but I would in no way pay more to go to that than, like, a real game

What does like Harlem Globetrotters cost? I kinda file all that stuff together in show-sports and value it way less than the genuine article.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Globetrotters are coming by later in the month and just getting in the door is $30, but for courtside or VIP experience they are $200+ considering it is Ticketmaster (so those $30s are probably closer to $50).

They also do two games a day, so they are playing an insane number of games compared to the Bananas. For as packed as their schedule is, somebody must be raking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1766871976092512577?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA