Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You can speedrun Palworld in 40 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I mean, I don't know much about Palworld, but based on its popularity I'm thinking the 1.0 release will be the most anticipated and hottest purchase ever recorded on Steam, once it comes around.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The feel I got from playing Palworld is that the devs were kind of just cynically mashing together concepts to make a buck but accidentally made a game lots of people enjoyed in the process. What's there works well and looks good and Pokémon But It's Actually ARK is something people clearly wanted, but I'd be lying if it feels like they went with the intention to make the best game they could first in their mind.

They have a good opportunity to take development seriously and use their fabulous success to really refine it but I'm still cynical whether they actually will. I don't regret my time spent with it, if I can stomach a survival game long enough to do the loving Rock Iron Whateverium bullshit then it has to have something going for it (for the love of God play Grounded)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

did Palworld really tank that hard? Everyone was in an absolute frenzy over it for a bit, I remember wondering why my youtube recs were getting flooded with vids about it. I guess it's another mile wide inch deep game?

Literally every Palworld video in my recommendations was titled IT'S POKEMON WITH GUNS and there's only so much time you can spend with that concept before it gets old. It looks janky as gently caress and kind of mid

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Khanstant posted:

You can speedrun Palworld in 40 minutes.

you can do Fallout New Vegas faster

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't know where you get that cynical feeling, doesn't seem applicable to not indie devs going all-in on a weird concept combining things they have a lot of fondness for.

They hired someone out of a 7/11 who enjoyed gun reload animations as a hobby and ended up working for them on tons of the pal animations which are really good, they had to make their own roster of monsters and in general had to ditch the pre-created asset-driven approach of Craftopia to make their own assets, repeatedly expanding their art team during development.

They took what worked best about their previous game, the automation, and merged it with their concept of a survival-crafting with monster taming. It's a good and fun idea, it replaces the worst part of survival-crafting game with a more interesting game loop and set of activities and managing your creatures.

Grounded was fun but I had to use a trainer because chopping grass by clicking at grass blades is loving boring, but building a big grass fortress is rad and fun. If Grounded let you tame bugs to go farm grass and sticks and boring poo poo for you, we would not have to use outside resources to adjust their game design. Arguably Grounded was missing that element from the Honey I Shrunk The Kids influence. I think they use ants and bees as vehicles in the movie? Been a long time.

Subnautica is the other good finished survival crafting game. Once Palworld and Valheim are fully released there will be 4 good survival/craft games.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Khanstant posted:

I don't know where you get that cynical feeling, doesn't seem applicable to not indie devs going all-in on a weird concept combining things they have a lot of fondness for.

They hired someone out of a 7/11 who enjoyed gun reload animations as a hobby and ended up working for them on tons of the pal animations which are really good, they had to make their own roster of monsters and in general had to ditch the pre-created asset-driven approach of Craftopia to make their own assets, repeatedly expanding their art team during development.

They took what worked best about their previous game, the automation, and merged it with their concept of a survival-crafting with monster taming. It's a good and fun idea, it replaces the worst part of survival-crafting game with a more interesting game loop and set of activities and managing your creatures.

Grounded was fun but I had to use a trainer because chopping grass by clicking at grass blades is loving boring, but building a big grass fortress is rad and fun. If Grounded let you tame bugs to go farm grass and sticks and boring poo poo for you, we would not have to use outside resources to adjust their game design. Arguably Grounded was missing that element from the Honey I Shrunk The Kids influence. I think they use ants and bees as vehicles in the movie? Been a long time.

Subnautica is the other good finished survival crafting game. Once Palworld and Valheim are fully released there will be 4 good survival/craft games.

just play whatever makes you happy or relaxed

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I play Apex Legends and it does neither :colbert:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Songbearer posted:

I play Apex Legends and it does neither :colbert:

whatever works for you, my dude

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

What's this "fun" and what the gently caress does it have to do with video games? Will it increase our stock price if we implement fun into our games?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Duck and Cover posted:

What's this "fun" and what the gently caress does it have to do with video games? Will it increase our stock price if we implement fun into our games?

maybe. :shrug:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Too risky you're fired.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Songbearer posted:

The feel I got from playing Palworld is that the devs were kind of just cynically mashing together concepts to make a buck but accidentally made a game lots of people enjoyed in the process. What's there works well and looks good and Pokémon But It's Actually ARK is something people clearly wanted, but I'd be lying if it feels like they went with the intention to make the best game they could first in their mind.

They have a good opportunity to take development seriously and use their fabulous success to really refine it but I'm still cynical whether they actually will. I don't regret my time spent with it, if I can stomach a survival game long enough to do the loving Rock Iron Whateverium bullshit then it has to have something going for it (for the love of God play Grounded)

The cynical vibe you get is valid, when you consider their previous games are a Breath of the Wild ripoff, an Among Us ripoff, and now a Hollow Knight ripoff. Even the maybe somewhat interesting card game tower defense thing is dripping with Hearthstone influence, https://www.pocketpair.jp/overdungeon.

They all ostensibly seem to be adding something new but that doesn't change that they're still knocking off popular and successful poo poo in at least some way. Like this isn't some cutesy small man indie dev, the CEO previously worked for fuckin' JP Morgan and founded a bitcoin currency exchange.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Duck and Cover posted:

Too risky you're fired.

I had a good run

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The discourse early on about Palworld was kind of crazy, a lot of verifiably false bullshit and extremely weak evidence of wrongdoing. I saw developers from major studios piling on with the accusations, so it wasn't just grumpy Nintendo fans but people who should know better. Everyone was projecting their anxieties onto it, around AI, plagiarism, even if it wasn't really deserved. They AI generated their pokeymans!... wait, no the timelines don't hold up so they stole them from Nintendo... though, we don't have proof of that but look, the silhouettes of the models line up pretty close! OK none of the topology is a match but they could have retopologized! Sure I guess that's entirely speculative, there's no way to prove they did that and the vert counts are very different, but all the other red flags must mean they did something nefarious.

What red flags? Some out of context tweets from the CEO commenting on some early, rather crappy looking AI generated Pokemon. They also made another game that used generative AI, though not as a way to make jobs redundant but instead as part of the game mechanics, some people won't stand for any use of generative AI at all but their use of it in this case isn't particularly exploitative. Palworld's mechanics and visual style is derivative but really more a pastiche of a whole bunch of different stuff than a clone of a specific game, same goes for a lot of their earlier titles which look like clones on the surface but similarly have more substance underneath than you might expect. I don't really have a problem with this, knocking off Pokemon and throwing them into an ARK with thoughtful design decisions to integrate the two is innovative, it's a cool idea and they executed it pretty well. It's a bit cheap, but they did well with the resources they had available to them.

It's a decent game, I played it for about 20 hours with friends and I might get back into it once they push a major content update.

ishikabibble posted:

They all ostensibly seem to be adding something new but that doesn't change that they're still knocking off popular and successful poo poo in at least some way.
So did Dark Forces and Duke Nukem 3D, they're Doom with extra stuff. Christ, Duke3D even managed to piss off Bruce Campbell by lifting one-liners from characters he's played. I think people have lost perspective around this, being derivative isn't necessarily a bad thing.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 10, 2024

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I'm not sure I'd call Palworld cynical in its approach as much as it is... I don't know, utilitarian? They identified their target audience and more or less built a game that gives the people exactly what they want, regardless of how much sense it makes from a flavor/lore perspective. It's not someone's sacred artistic vision, it's not a labor of love, but that doesn't mean it's not an honest attempt (and a rather successful one) at making a game for a certain audience to enjoy.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Songbearer posted:

Elden Ring I chose the worst ending because I had no idea why people would actually want to live in a world as miserable as The Lands Between. Even with Waifu McPlotterson begging me not to because people still Live Laugh Love I couldn't help but want it all gone because you don't actually get to see anything other than just pure suffering wherever you go

If everyone is sad in Elden ring, explain this

https://youtu.be/gw3fqbsLFp4?si=3-tiyrnCvjY_fRsT

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Songbearer posted:

Hot sad take on Dark Souls 3: As someone who suffers from occasional suicidal ideation I vibe with Dark Souls 3 the best because it feels like it gets me. Not trying to be super sad uwu snowflake because it's a Thing I Deal With but it's very rare the vibe you get from a game world is one where it's actually genuinely just tired and wants it to be over with. Practically everyone is miserable and broken down and the ending where you try to push it forwards into the same old routine is the saddest one. There's a video essay somewhere that sums it up incredibly well but I picked up on it from the get go and it's left me fascinated with that particular entry over all the others.

Elden Ring I chose the worst ending because I had no idea why people would actually want to live in a world as miserable as The Lands Between. Even with Waifu McPlotterson begging me not to because people still Live Laugh Love I couldn't help but want it all gone because you don't actually get to see anything other than just pure suffering wherever you go

I was gonna just let the world die in the first Dark Souls because I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to keep it going, but right before the final boss I spoke to Fire Keeper and she begged to keep the flame alive so I did it just because it turns out at least one person thought it was a world worth living in. Of course as it was revealed in the later games it didn't matter either way.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

way back when demon's souls was still being a cult hit on ps3 i was fully on the perpetuate-the-cycle train until i was made to kill the maiden astraea. it messed with me so hard that i did a heel turn, doomed the world, and spent the whole rest of the night staring at the ceiling in my bedroom.

what a cool game

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Redezga posted:

I was gonna just let the world die in the first Dark Souls because I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to keep it going, but right before the final boss I spoke to Fire Keeper and she begged to keep the flame alive so I did it just because it turns out at least one person thought it was a world worth living in. Of course as it was revealed in the later games it didn't matter either way.

Supposedly once you reignite the fire the world gets nice again for some unspecified but seemingly long amount of time. In DS2 things are getting kind of lovely again but whole empires have risen and fallen and been forgotten about since the last game, and an unspecified number of people have continued or ignored keeping things going. I think it's only DS3 where the choice is just erase everything, continue to live in lovely dying world for awhile, or continue to live in lovely world for awhile but as a cool zombie person possibly with your zombie spouse and have a zombie party. Of course the games keep everything extremely vague so you can read whatever you want into most things.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I have no opinion of my own and so I just do whatever the waifu wants. In Elden Ring you gotta pick which waifu though.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I have no opinion of my own and so I just do whatever the waifu wants. In Elden Ring you gotta pick which waifu though.

Dung Eater just wants everyone to have cool horns. Seems like a no-brainer to me

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the wolf man wasn't a valid waifu so i never bothered to finish

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vampire Survivors should let you banish more items than it does because the difference between a good weapon and an ok weapon is a sheer vertical cliff and theres no real incentive to use the bad weapons except for if they have an associated quest.

Even in adventure mode you're just regrinding getting "weapons you can win with" rather genuinely trying the weapons you left behind.

Nice Van My Man posted:

Supposedly once you reignite the fire the world gets nice again for some unspecified but seemingly long amount of time. In DS2 things are getting kind of lovely again but whole empires have risen and fallen and been forgotten about since the last game, and an unspecified number of people have continued or ignored keeping things going. I think it's only DS3 where the choice is just erase everything, continue to live in lovely dying world for awhile, or continue to live in lovely world for awhile but as a cool zombie person possibly with your zombie spouse and have a zombie party. Of course the games keep everything extremely vague so you can read whatever you want into most things.

The endings are just Fromsoft doing a playerbase survey and then eventually deciding to rig the vote

Darks Souls 1 endings: I would like more Dark Souls games / Please work on a new project
Darks Souls 2 endings: I would be ok with more Dark Souls games / Please work on a new project
Darks Souls 1 endings: Finish the DLC then work on a new project / Please work on a new project/ Seriously, work on a new project

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 10, 2024

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

when people are saying they play palworld i breathe a sigh of relief because no matter how bad my taste in games gets theres always someone lower

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nice Van My Man posted:

Yeah, I think the idea is that the games take place during the end times when everything is going to poo poo, and that by linking the fire you restore civilization for some unspecified amount of time (decades? millennia? who knows). All the horrible poo poo you're witnessing IS the end of the world and you can reverse it if you want. Although it seems like they were trying to imply that by DS3 the ritual was becoming less effective. Of course none of that is actually shown in game, so you can imagine whatever you want.

The "why brush your teeth, they're just going to get dirty again" reasoning some people have around it is kind of amusing, though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

JollyBoyJohn posted:

when people are saying they play palworld i breathe a sigh of relief because no matter how bad my taste in games gets theres always someone lower

They put out two pokemon games a year that are exactly the same except for a couple critters are different. And adults buy both copies and play them for hours. It doesn't get any lower than this.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

you play mobas

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah so give him a break, he's not going to hear anything not parsed as some kind of direct threat delivered with the rage of someone trapped by the same horrible game.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

They put out two pokemon games a year that are exactly the same except for a couple critters are different. And adults buy both copies and play them for hours. It doesn't get any lower than this.

any sports game that releases an updated roster every year for 60 bucks

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

MrQwerty posted:

you play mobas

*played

Please make an effort to keep up with thread lore you absolute part timer

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

JollyBoyJohn posted:

*played

Light him up!

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

*played

what happens when you quit mobas? do you just watch your rank just slip endlessly while you chase the dragon in a sisyphean endeavor to make video games fun again?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Jimlit posted:

what happens when you quit mobas? do you just watch your rank just slip endlessly while you chase the dragon in a sisyphean endeavor to make video games fun again?

You start speedrunning nes games and making light hearted fun of palworld players

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm slow running Death Stranding. I bought my buddy DS when it was new on PC years ago and he only recently started playing it and got hooked. He just beat it last night and has been pressuring me to beat it too. I've tried a couple times, like I know where to go, but I get immediately sidetracked wanting to do more deliveries or repair my crap or expand zip network, just MULE poo poo. I think I've spent longer delivering packages to already 5 starred places than I did 5 starring and doing the rest of the game. And I already spent an unusually long time building the road network without being online.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I'm really curious how the shared development of the world works in Death Stranding. I didn't start until it was free on XBox Live, so people had a long time to build things up before me. The start of the game had a huge highway that let me bypass most of the bandit camps, so I though the whole thing was going to be pretty developed, however after reaching the halfway point almost all development had stopped. I thought maybe I had to start building highways and then the game would decide 'okay he's worked hard enough, time to import the highways other people have built.' But it never did, past the halfway point there were just no highways unless I had built them.

It's interesting because it's not so hard to build highways that I don't imagine there aren't crazy 100%ers who have their whole map covered, so how does it decide what things I'm getting and what things I'm not? It had no trouble trivializing the first half of the game for me. Maybe It just decides on random subsets of gamers and that's what I'm seeing, or maybe a certain x% of gamers have to have done something before it gets shared. Probably a combination of the two. I just want to know how it works under the hood.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I assume most of the highway building cooperation is fake, you just get outside completion at random intervals

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i think it's like, live players can contribute to your build requests and you can help build theirs, but if it's a dead game (which, speaking in relative terms for active player population, death stranding is basically entombed in a mausoleum), you aren't going to be getting poo poo for help

turns out passive, "take a penny leave a penny" style co-op was a really lovely game design invention

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nice Van My Man posted:

I'm really curious how the shared development of the world works in Death Stranding. I didn't start until it was free on XBox Live, so people had a long time to build things up before me. The start of the game had a huge highway that let me bypass most of the bandit camps, so I though the whole thing was going to be pretty developed, however after reaching the halfway point almost all development had stopped. I thought maybe I had to start building highways and then the game would decide 'okay he's worked hard enough, time to import the highways other people have built.' But it never did, past the halfway point there were just no highways unless I had built them.

It's interesting because it's not so hard to build highways that I don't imagine there aren't crazy 100%ers who have their whole map covered, so how does it decide what things I'm getting and what things I'm not? It had no trouble trivializing the first half of the game for me. Maybe It just decides on random subsets of gamers and that's what I'm seeing, or maybe a certain x% of gamers have to have done something before it gets shared. Probably a combination of the two. I just want to know how it works under the hood.

You need to connect to the chiral network in order to get contributions from online. My friend who beat the game last night has only been playing the last few weeks in the "mausoleum" phase and he basically started his roads and then did other stuff and let online contributions fill in the rest. I watched him play a few times and his world was just as littered full of online poo poo as mine was. You also spawn more stuff as you upgrade regions.

There are live elements, you can send supply requests and things players can choose to fulfill and you can collect once they do.

But most of the stuff is like, if you do nice things for other players you get nice things in return. It's more like it stores your contributions online and then doles them out to players as they play and do certain things.

Like recently I just went on a spree of repairing every construction ai came across, dumping a bunch of chiralium into anything. Shortly after I get notifications that such and such players have contributed to fixing my things. I don't think in that time period anybody literally repaired these random things, nor do I think that player was online while I played. instead I think these players have contributed to things in their world and it stores that and applies it to my things since I was a good boy and helped out other players.

Seems like you also get that from turning in lost deliveries from other players, or finishing ones from share lockers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fur20 posted:

turns out passive, "take a penny leave a penny" style co-op was a really lovely game design invention

Wrong. It took what was novel about soul signs and removed the telling and replaced it with exponentially more helpful tools you can send to other players and positive reinforcement.

Your imaginary version with an easily fixed problem isn't as good though.