Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
WE WERE DENIED THE HARAH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Usul has called a big one!
https://x.com/fasc1nate/status/1766434061382279214?s=20

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Looks weirdly like Hans Zimmer. Perhaps the weirding way.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

uber_stoat posted:

i'm just shaking my fist and jumping up and down like an angry leprechaun knowing that there's probably film of Buster Scruggs done up in some crazy imperial uniform as the Count and that drat frenchie won't let me see it.

see this is what I've been the gently caress saying

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

if you meet denis villeneuve on the road, kill him (for cutting stephen mckinley henderson's character)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
gotta wait until he does part 3 tho

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

gotta wait until he does part 3 tho

DUN3

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Dune 2: Thufast Thufirious

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Dune 3: Sand Drift

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Guys, I have to come clean, I cannot remember poo poo from the last two books besides space sex witches and dog chairs.

Unfortunateky, I don't have the mental capacity to absorb all the weird poo poo because I'm not the lil excited nerdling that gets his mind blown each time he reads a book

I'll re-read the first four, though, it's been a while

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the first four are the only ones worth anything. first two, really

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the first four are the only ones worth anything. first two, really

I have a soft spot for God Emperor, the third book can suck it tho

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
last i heard, god emperor was the 4th book

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Galewolf posted:

I have a soft spot for God Emperor, the third book can suck it tho

I don't get the children of dune hate

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I should re read them but I’m the weirdo who likes heretics and chapterhouse as well

Miles Teg super saiyan 4evah

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I wouldn't complain about people liking them but I feel no need to read them.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

They’re like what we would have gotten if an actual talented spinoff writer had been given the dune franchise, like if Timothy Zahn instead of failson and KJA was writing more sequels/prequels. Definitely B tier but still fun.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I know there is a legit reason for them, but every shot in the ads where it has the person staring intently at you with that nose piece in, I just laugh. It looks so loving dumb!

I remember reading that the kids of the Dune author wanted him to sue George Lucas. I mean, the movies both have some white dude on a desert planet, but are they really that similar? Just looking at the first trilogy of Star Wars.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

priznat posted:

I should re read them but I’m the weirdo who likes heretics and chapterhouse as well

Miles Teg super saiyan 4evah

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

God I love Philomena Cunk, and this fits so well

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I know there is a legit reason for them, but every shot in the ads where it has the person staring intently at you with that nose piece in, I just laugh. It looks so loving dumb!

I remember reading that the kids of the Dune author wanted him to sue George Lucas. I mean, the movies both have some white dude on a desert planet, but are they really that similar? Just looking at the first trilogy of Star Wars.

Dune is absolutely one of the things Lucas ripped off but yeah it's not Actual Plagarism

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

If luke and leia ended up marrying each other and he somehow merged with a bunch of huttlings, got a super exoskeleton force suit, wrecked a bunch of planets and ultimately became super jabba the hutt it still wouldnt be plagarism, just bad fan fiction

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

MLKQUOTEMACHINE posted:

I think it was due to my expectations after DUNK and Messiah were so high so it was a letdown

I hated the fourth book first time around and it took me multiple years and re-reads to break through but I still think it's one of my favourites

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Galewolf posted:

I think it was due to my expectations after DUNK and Messiah were so high so it was a letdown

I hated the fourth book first time around and it took me multiple years and re-reads to break through but I still think it's one of my favourites

First book is good by itself, first three are good together, first four are good together, the last two i also like though it feels like a new series rather than a continuation... that all stopped when Frank died.

There are no books after that. :colbert:

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Will the next movie be Dune Part 3, or Dune 2 Part 1?

Dune 2: Jihadgment Day

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

AGAIN IT IS THE LEGEND!

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Just Another Lurker posted:

There are no books after that. :colbert:

Are you implying that Duncan Idaho didn't fight a smarmy noble house heir when training at Ginaz and the guy was holding a katana and said "My Hanzo steel is too good for you" before switching to a kindjal?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Galewolf posted:

Are you implying that Duncan Idaho didn't fight a smarmy noble house heir when training at Ginaz and the guy was holding a katana and said "My Hanzo steel is too good for you" before switching to a kindjal?

Please no. No

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE posted:

I don't either.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

Please no. No

"Try looking into that place where you dare not look. You'll find me there, staring back at you"

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Galewolf posted:

"Try looking into that place where you dare not look. You'll find me there, staring back at you"

KJ Anderson does have that affect on people who read his books. :ohno:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Not to start a failson discussion but I actually read all three house books and the Butlerian Jihad ones with the naivete of a reader who just wanted a bit more of Dune.

I was hoping for something like what Christopher Tolkien did with his fathers notes and concepts. House Atreides was an okay start but like crumbled really fast and when that scene in the invasion of Ginaz happened I literally threw the book across laughing

I have no excuses for reading ALL Butlerian Jihad books, they start bad and keep being bad CONSISTENTLY

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Was House Atreides the one where we get the totally cool and necessary backstory to how Paul's grandfather got gored to death by a bull not because he was a showoff but because a Harkonnen agent drugged the bull beforehand to make it really aggressive?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Was House Atreides the one where we get the totally cool and necessary backstory to how Paul's grandfather got gored to death by a bull not because he was a showoff but because a Harkonnen agent drugged the bull beforehand to make it really aggressive?

Yup, also something about IX or Tlelaxu cloning facilities giving me nightmares because we absolutely needed to KNOW they were abducted women who got opened up surgically and birthed clones

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
>*vinyl scratch sound*
>YOU'RE NOW LISTENING TO
>*ornithopter flyby*
>101.19
>*thumper pounding*
>ARRAKIS FM
>*explosion*
>WHERE WE ONLY PLAY THE SPICIEST TUNES
>*sandworm sound*
>*sardaukar chanting*
>THIS AIN'T YOUR REVEREND MOTHER'S STATION
>*imagine dragons - radioactive starts playing*

https://soundcloud.com/takom-ironhoof-horseridingvet/arks-fm?si=7dfe41ca07f442bbb63af8d8367732b4

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Though nothing compares to pre-BG is called Sorcerers and they literally psi-Hadouken giant mecha spiders with human brain containers

Back to the DUNC, I haven't seen part two because IMAX was sold out on the week so imma rry this week

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
12 year old me learnt an important lesson, attempting to read the failson books.
"What's this?? More Dune, but with lasers, spaceships and death robots? Wow!"
"Why... why am I bored? This makes no sense"

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Anyone here try the Dune Imperium board game? It loving rocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

MLKQUOTEMACHINE posted:

Anyone here try the Dune Imperium board game? It loving rocks

i haven't played it but i saw an article saying this was coming out on mobile and steam soon.