Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

My understanding of central banks: monitor the velocity and supply of money at various scales of the economy and increase/decrease the amount and access to money to incentivize stable economic growth. Sometimes get things right, sometimes wrong, but work with the data they've got.

Goldbug doomers' idea of central banks: privately owned entities who earn a fat percentage on all the money they manipulate through inflation (which is by design), essentially robbing the Treasury in slow motion by gradually eroding the value of the US dollar through money printing until the country takes on too much debt and collapses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Space Fish posted:

My understanding of central banks: monitor the velocity and supply of money at various scales of the economy and increase/decrease the amount and access to money to incentivize stable economic growth. Sometimes get things right, sometimes wrong, but work with the data they've got.

Goldbug doomers' idea of central banks: privately owned entities who earn a fat percentage on all the money they manipulate through inflation (which is by design), essentially robbing the Treasury in slow motion by gradually eroding the value of the US dollar through money printing until the country takes on too much debt and collapses.

Goldbugs also seem to view central banks as a barrier to the return of the gold standard or something too

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

goldbuggery and opposing contraception ultimately both stem from the same root belief that some things should best be left up to the cruel and insane whims of fate than controlled by someone who isn't me personally

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Is this latest inflation cycle being pumped by fake tethers to get rubes to pour in real dollars before the halving? At which point anyone who put in real dollars gets to watch them all vanish into the hands of organized fincrims?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Space Fish posted:

Gotta add ESG considerations into the doomer idiot side to properly fit the Crypto propaganda model

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Gotta add ESG considerations into the doomer idiot side to properly fit the Crypto propaganda model

What's ESG?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

https://www.british-business-bank.c...able%20it%20is.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Basically it's something Bitcoin people hate, because it talks about being concerned about the environment among other things. That is if you wanted to TLDR it.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Lammasu posted:

Back when Twitter was a septic tank, as opposed to the broken septic tank it is now, I got into an argument with a guy that said the central banks were the cause of the war in Ukraine. He didn't really seem to understand what a central bank was or what they do.

To a lot of chuddy types "central bank" is a polite term for "the Jews I imagine run the world"

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
"those central bankers" is for sure a dog whistle

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
especially banksters

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

HelleSpud posted:

I love this.

Can't get a picture of it on a person, it's only seen once even the person who believed in bitcoin enough to buy a gloating shirt gave up on it. Abandoned, hanging a thrift shop, covered in cat hair.

I TBLD YOU SO

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Ariong posted:

Yeah I do my best but sometimes the stupid stuff Seraph posts to hype up crypto is the exact same poo poo that other people post to demonstrate how stupid it is. :shrug:

I mean, in all fairness, it's all so stupid that one could be forgiven for detecting irony when there isn't. I think you can say that about a lot of things in tyool 2024

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Basically it's something Bitcoin people hate, because it talks about being concerned about the environment among other things. That is if you wanted to TLDR it.
I mean it's basically three prongs: Running an ethical, responsible organization, not trashing the world around you, and not trashing the society around you.

You can see why crypto people gargling Ayn Rand's piss might not like it.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

notwithoutmyanus posted:

i get their irrational hatred for the e and the s, but the fact that they still also ban investing state funds based on consideration of good corporate governance because it's all reactionary bullshit gets a huge lol from me

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Boxturret posted:

I think the world would be better off without florida, personally.
Don't worry, at our current pace of not-solving climate change most of Florida will be under water in a few decades.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI2ZT3Jwswk

lol

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

Lammasu posted:

Fortunately like most people that aligned with Trump, Desantis has achieved Dark Lord of Ravenloft levels of ironic torment.

The Demiplane of Don

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LOL, it never went away tbh.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

LOL, it never went away tbh.

it did die down alot. its like a trend so if you had done one like a few months ago it would probably be embarrassing to post or something

but also i forgot which thread his first tiktok was in and thought it was this one. this is his first tiktok

https://twitter.com/allnick/status/1765839612612874710

drk posted:

surprise, surprise, all dudes

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Strong Sauce posted:

it did die down alot. its like a trend so if you had done one like a few months ago it would probably be embarrassing to post or something

but also i forgot which thread his first tiktok was in and thought it was this one. this is his first tiktok

It's like they went to a crypto influencer seminar that told them all the things they need to rent and create social proof of and lie about owning, but these dummies were so uncharismatic that no one looks like they belong there...almost as if they're about to have to return the boat and the house and it's costing them a fortune in the mean time (that they have never had).

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

the fact that I barely understood a quarter of what he was saying there is good I think

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That’s the fakest influencer I’ve ever seen. The middle of his mouth is so pointy and his voice so unnatural.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
sure is weird these trillionaires just rent a boat for a trip buy boats and dont do their gov/national building projects.

like god just go buy a local property and and election and do your buttcoin city already.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

That’s the fakest influencer I’ve ever seen. The middle of his mouth is so pointy and his voice so unnatural.

Very turtley features.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Strong Sauce posted:

I want to break this guy's stupid round glasses while looking him straight in the eyes.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

PhazonLink posted:

sure is weird these trillionaires just rent a boat for a trip buy boats and dont do their gov/national building projects.

like god just go buy a local property and and election and do your buttcoin city already.

Given that a lot of this is a spill off from the seasteading community, its not surprising that they end up as unsubstantiated talk.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Is that Glenn Greenwald?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Sickening posted:

Florida is banning wind power. Nothing makes sense.

Nuke Florida, zero downsides

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
not buttcoin related, but FL is now trying to cancel spring break.

sure cancel your seasonal economy tourism boom.

Ron : small gov, big freedom!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

PhazonLink posted:

not buttcoin related, but FL is now trying to cancel spring break.

sure cancel your seasonal economy tourism boom.

Ron : small gov, big freedom!

Lol I gotta look that up, it's gotta be some pure strain brainworms

E: all I'm seeing is Miami Beach doing it and in response to escalating violence. I'm sure there's more to it because ~FL~ but that's the line they're using.

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 10, 2024

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

They're not banning it so much as they're going to enforce a lot of zero tolerance on violence/drugs. bigger parking fees, DUI checks, bag checks, curfews, etc...

There were 2 shootings in 2023. Which is not a good thing (just IMO). But why do the sensible doing of doing some gun training/safety legislation and instead just tank your local economy and pay cops more to beat up on kids.

But yeah I'm down with saying Ron Desantis is canceling spring break. gently caress that turd.

Edit: Ron Desantis is deploying more state troopers with like more than a 1/3 of them specifically to miami beach

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This sounds like the start of a problematic 80s teen comedy.

It's going to end with the partygoers winning the right to party by beating Desantis's team of rich douchebags in a beach volleyball game.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Yeah gently caress Ron forever, I'm sure the increased presence will TOTALLY not cause more escalating issues. Oh, wait, they're fine with state sanctioned violence. WELP

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Genuinely checking in to ask this question in a serious way: How hard is it to turn cash in to bitcoin, and bitcoin back in to cash (or a ach/wire etc, you actually get the drat money), without it being super sketchy and being concerned your identity or money or other bullshit will have something bad happen?

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Tnuctip posted:

Genuinely checking in to ask this question in a serious way: How hard is it to turn cash in to bitcoin, and bitcoin back in to cash (or a ach/wire etc, you actually get the drat money), without it being super sketchy and being concerned your identity or money or other bullshit will have something bad happen?

If you don't mind providing your identity and having your sale reported to the IRS and your coins aren't tied to known criminal activity or sanctioned entities not terribly difficult

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Now that I think about, I don't even know if PayPal owns the joke Bitcoin investment that I made with the PayPal app... does anyone know if Paypal is actually holding Bitcoin for me?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Identity theft paranoia is probably the bigger barrier these days because you need to comply with KYC requirements with absolute clown organizations who will get hacked just as a matter of course.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Spuckuk posted:

Nuke Florida, zero downsides

What happens to NASA? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What happens to NASA? :ohdear:

they can stay, they'll need to take a ferry though.