Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

The music wasn't even any good though!

I was surprised that movie got a positive reception, on par with the abusive creep version. I've already forgotten most of the songs, but at the time were bland to awful. I think one was just about being an indentured servant washing clothes. Dude didn't have great vocal range and the songs came across very samey and generic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

That DICK! posted:

Ok that’s enough dune. Can we please talk about Ricky Stanicky now!

I was in a foul mood the other day, and I watched this because I needed a dumb comedy to kill some time. It's definitely dumb, and bad, but hell, parts made me laugh. I guess I can't hate it. Cena gives it his all.

The weirdest thing is that even though it could be set anywhere, and they filmed it in Australia, the Farrelys still set it in Rhode Island. They even flew in a few of their usual RI grotesques to be in it.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the last half kind of stinks but there's a double dose to cena's comedy bits, because they're mostly pretty funny, and then you imagine them handing him a script and doing these things without question

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

if your movie isn't about barbarians or grotesque superheroes you shouldn't cast john cena. normal human beings just don't get that big. you might as well just cast an actual gorilla as A) it would have the exact same effect on my suspension of disbelief and B) it would be funnier

cena isn't the worst actor but if he wants to play humans he has to come back down to human size

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

if your movie isn't about barbarians or grotesque superheroes you shouldn't cast john cena. normal human beings just don't get that big. you might as well just cast an actual gorilla as A) it would have the exact same effect on my suspension of disbelief and B) it would be funnier

cena isn't the worst actor but if he wants to play humans he has to come back down to human size

This is Arnold Schwarzenegger erasure and I won't stand for it

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

PostNouveau posted:

Yup, Kindergarten Cop is a classic.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
We're in a weird spot in that Cena, simply by default, is becoming one of the top comedic actors out there. Largely because Hollywood as a whole has mostly forgotten how to make comedies, and the people who know comedy aren't writing or being cast in comedies.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I knew he was a star the minute I saw Teainwreck and he was by far much funnier than the supposed comedic lead

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Most big stars protect their image too much and won’t look foolish but Cena doesn’t seem to give a gently caress and I like that about him.

Peacemaker was a legit funny show.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The virgin Dwane the Rock Johnson vs the chad John Cena

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I think Southland Tales hosed the Rock up. If he hadn’t done it or if it had been better or a success (somehow?!) maybe he’d be less risk adverse. He seemed to be going that way with that Get Shorty sequel.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Hasn't the Rock gone back to wrestling part time, after Black Adam cratered hard?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

priznat posted:

I think Southland Tales hosed the Rock up. If he hadn’t done it or if it had been better or a success (somehow?!) maybe he’d be less risk adverse. He seemed to be going that way with that Get Shorty sequel.

Southland Tales was the first time he went by Dwayne Johnson, Boxer Santaros was a very un-The Rock character, he was trying to break out into serious acting. And he was great at it!

But the ignorant audiences and critics were too stupid to understand that Southland Tales is a masterpiece, and that was the end of that

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
https://youtu.be/0rI9lYjE1eY

John Cena is the best part of any already pretty funny Tour Du Pharmacy

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Gripweed posted:

Southland Tales was the first time he went by Dwayne Johnson, Boxer Santaros was a very un-The Rock character, he was trying to break out into serious acting. And he was great at it!

But the ignorant audiences and critics were too stupid to understand that Southland Tales is a masterpiece, and that was the end of that

Since seeing it I’ve been saying Southland Tales is the best pastiche of PK Dick ever created. Not of a Philip K Dick adaptation, where the production tries to make the source material a lot more slick, and less like the sweaty paranoid ramblings of a schizophrenic. I’m talking an actual mid career Philip K Dick novel, written quickly on speed to make a mortgage payment. I get why it wasn’t well received, because that is an insane thing to do, but man am I glad it exists.

Speaking of insane things that I’m glad exist, I watched Vampire’s Kiss for the first time since I was a teenager and boy howdy is that movie good. It’s such a bizarre, occasionally legit disturbing, horror comedy, and Nic Cage’s deranged performance is loving great. Like with Southland Tales, I get why it was panned, but I think it was way ahead of its time and would be an A24 darling if it came out today.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So has John Cena been fully exonerated for that time he publicly groveled and begged the forgiveness of the Chinese government for accidentally referring to Taiwan by name? What is and is not cancel worthy can be difficult to keep track of sometimes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

counterfeitsaint posted:

So has John Cena been fully exonerated for that time he publicly groveled and begged the forgiveness of the Chinese government for accidentally referring to Taiwan by name? What is and is not cancel worthy can be difficult to keep track of sometimes.

Why would anyone cancel him for that? He made a mistake but, as you say, he apologized.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

Kingo Ligma posted:

The communion book is extremely intense and terrifying (I mean it's obviously fiction and the author is a massive liar) which gave me the old alien abduction phobia. The movie instantly cured this, because, well, we need a new word now that the r word is a slur because nothing else fits. Maybe we could say "Amy Pascal is extremely Communioned" when she announces an Uncle Ben prequel starring Jared Leto next quarter.

topical and relevant: i use the word 'pakled'

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

Didn’t you hear? Bones with big bobs are uncancelled. It’s a cancelled debt jubilee

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

poisonpill posted:

Didn’t you hear? Bones with big bobs are uncancelled. It’s a cancelled debt jubilee

Blondes with big bone

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

I’m not fixing it again. Stet

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

PostNouveau posted:

arnie looked like the peak of what was humanly possible. cena looks like a guy who used hgh to go well past that and into he man action figure territory. same goes for the rock and Dave bootiesta

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

PostNouveau posted:

Oh does that not come up again? It certainly seemed like they were setting up that Paul is now the heir to the Harkonnen line but the Bene Gesserits have another heir that he doesn't know about.

the heir is Feyd, it’s not that big of a deal

kalel posted:

in the context of the film I think the heritage reveal is in service of the mood/themes rather than the plot. I interpreted it to be a dramatic irony that the sworn enemies of the atreides are in fact their relatives (similar to real life feudal power struggles and infighting). it's also a literal manifestation of the idea that they are the same; with respect to the fremen, the atreides are no better than the harkonnens because ultimately they are both colonizers. you could also read it as some bio-essentialist thing, like "hark blood literally physically makes you evil" which apparently is what it sounded like that old libertarian kook herbert was going for

it also fleshes out the process of the Bene Gesserit producing a kwizatz-haderach and whether or not Paul might be one. Jessica’s assignment was to produce a girl whom the Bene Gesserit would then pair with Feyd and the product of that union would possibly be a contender based on their predictions, if not a further step in the line.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Hasn't the Rock gone back to wrestling part time, after Black Adam cratered hard?

The Rock has never really stopped wrestling part time. There was a good stretch between the late 2000s and pre-Covid where he was stopping by for some easy money and crowd love at least every two or three years, “feuding”/possibly really feuding with Cena for a bit in the early-to-mid 2010s, etc.

Nowadays he’s on the WWE board so it makes sense that he’s actually wrestling and making promo appearances more often. He’s not really hard-up for cash even with a couple recent big flops.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i dunno if this schedule really counts as part time

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=960&page=4

he's got nothing from 2004-2011, then 5 PPV matches spread out over 2 years and then the 2016 squash of erik rowen that went six seconds and rock injured himself somehow

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022
Cue "Shut Up Bitch" clip...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i dunno if this schedule really counts as part time

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=960&page=4

he's got nothing from 2004-2011, then 5 PPV matches spread out over 2 years and then the 2016 squash of erik rowen that went six seconds and rock injured himself somehow

fair, there’s a difference between “actually wrestling” and “making an appearance for WWE”

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Speaking of John Cena...

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Sucking up to actively genocidal maniacs has never been cancel worthy, HTH.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

arnie looked like the peak of what was humanly possible. cena looks like a guy who used hgh to go well past that and into he man action figure territory. same goes for the rock and Dave bootiesta

Yeah, Cena's doing a bit on the Oscars where he's basically nude on stage, and he's pretty freakishly built

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

lol the only people even trying to cancel him over that are the sorts of chuds who always make a point to say “Chinese Communist Party”

literally everybody else in the west was just impressed at his mandarin

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 11, 2024

Illmade
Jan 17, 2024

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
PSYCORPS

Nothing is worth dying for, except Palestinians for Israel

counterfeitsaint posted:

Not by me. I remain baffled by everyone's casual acceptance of Hollywood slurping of CCP schlong.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Made this nominated song from KotFM my new ringtone

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Made this nominated song from KotFM my new ringtone

Gonna be hard to find a song worth replacing the steel drum cover of "P.I.M.P." from Anatomy of a Fall that I use to inflict pain on everyone around me.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Illmade posted:

Not by me. I remain baffled by everyone's casual acceptance of Hollywood slurping of CCP schlong.

well if it were Likud schlong you’d have no problem understanding that so—

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Godzilla Minus One won for Visual Effects, thank gently caress

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
I know the forums skew old but how loving close to death are you guys with audible ringtones?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The songs always suck

Boring-rear end ballads every time with like one fun song thrown in there just so everyone isn't too bummed out

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Kingo Ligma posted:

I know the forums skew old but how loving close to death are you guys with audible ringtones?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWPNZ_agAZs

I’m still rocking Peter3 my friend

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Rageaholic posted:

Godzilla Minus One won for Visual Effects, thank gently caress

should win everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kingo Ligma posted:

yeah I put an ebook as my ringtone too