Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Einwand posted:

Retriggers stack additively.

Thanks. Had a very close run with the plasma deck where I wasn't sure which cards to make bonus where retriggers were a major factor of the last hand. Won, but good to know for next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Currently bashing my head against green deck orange stakes. I wonder how many of the difficulty level complaints this deck is singlehandedly responsible for, because I'm definitely feeling a lot of complaints a lot harder now. It's great at tearing up the lower stakes which makes it a popular choice, but it's deceptive because your economy gets worse the harder the game gets and it's absolutely miserable if you ever fall behind the curve.

The interest system normally acts as a sort of consolation prize for bad luck at shops: there's a tradeoff between spending money to get stronger versus saving money to get more money later, so good/bad shop rolls make for a series of interesting tradeoffs. Green deck entirely lacks this catch-up mechanism, if you don't find good stuff to spend your money on then you get less money in the future. It does let you double dip on extra hands/discard since they give you more money, but the flip side is that a lot of conventional economy jokers get hosed over; not only does everything related to interest become irrelevant, it also penalizes anything that requires you to spend plays/discards for benefit. So by the time you get to orange stake your ability to make money is crippled and many alternate avenues of making money/strengthening your deck long term are either unavailable or else penalize your economy further.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
Rocket+campfire is such a strong combo. You can use the income from rocket to churn rerolls in the shop and buy/sell useless planet and arcana cards to pump up the campfire bonus. Had a bit of luck leading to probably my best run so far - a negative trading card to prune my deck, a bloodstone/brainstorm combo to get 2x on cards scoring proccing, a rocket/campfire combo to build the campfire up to 8-10x most antes, and a deck full of aces(mult+red seal)/9s(mult+hologram+red seal) with a few steel hearts scattered in to give the bloodstone 20 prod chances per round.

My only regret is I didn't quite manage to get my hand down to 20 cards for the achievement. It'll be a while before I get a run going this well again.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Lmao I had the wheel actually hit to give me polychrome on a very valuable joker! And immediately paid for it when my Cavendish got eaten.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

lol I got the "win with 4 jokers or less" unlock on orange stake because I duped the joker stencil

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

the holy poopacy posted:

Currently bashing my head against green deck orange stakes. I wonder how many of the difficulty level complaints this deck is singlehandedly responsible for, because I'm definitely feeling a lot of complaints a lot harder now. It's great at tearing up the lower stakes which makes it a popular choice, but it's deceptive because your economy gets worse the harder the game gets and it's absolutely miserable if you ever fall behind the curve.

The interest system normally acts as a sort of consolation prize for bad luck at shops: there's a tradeoff between spending money to get stronger versus saving money to get more money later, so good/bad shop rolls make for a series of interesting tradeoffs. Green deck entirely lacks this catch-up mechanism, if you don't find good stuff to spend your money on then you get less money in the future. It does let you double dip on extra hands/discard since they give you more money, but the flip side is that a lot of conventional economy jokers get hosed over; not only does everything related to interest become irrelevant, it also penalizes anything that requires you to spend plays/discards for benefit. So by the time you get to orange stake your ability to make money is crippled and many alternate avenues of making money/strengthening your deck long term are either unavailable or else penalize your economy further.

How I beat gold stake with green deck: I got DNA + Blueprint + Shoot the Moon and x18 worth of mult jokers, my deck had 30 queens by the end of this. I had pretty high base chips from Square joker too so I was just playing high cards into a hand full of queens with as many steels/red stamps as possible. I replaced DNA with Mr Bones before the final boss just in case cause after so many attempts I wasn't taking any chances.

How I beat gold stake with plasma deck: got wee joker and stuntman and some random crap idk

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

This was a hell of a run. Orange stake, I get some decent jokers polychrome early. Loyalty Card and Vampire are nothing special on their own, but polychrome is nice, and Even Steven is making those 1.5X count for a lot. Then I pick up Brainstorm. THEN Burglar shows up in the shop. "I wonder if I can duplicate Burglar to give myself +3 hands times two and then shove it out of the way when I start playing actual hands." Oh yes, it works. Then I remembered Loyalty Card. Normally a little finnicky, because 6 hands to trigger isn't always going to be there when you need it.

Unless you have 9 hands per blind. :unsmigghh:

I was cackling so hard when I figured this out. Every single blind was an exercise in playing all the odd or face cards in my hand until I had amassed my full house, and then playing who gives a gently caress until Loyalty Card's X4 was active. Then I'd move it to the left and dump my bomb hand for millions of points, where all my previous hands were barely hitting 2k if that. It was absolutely foolproof, and I'd end every blind with 3 unused hands for some big and easy economy. "Nothing can stop me. Easy orange stake victory," I thought. and then the 8th boss blind was revealed as Amber Acorn. The Needle also could have potentially hosed that run but never showed up, thankfully. Amber Acorn thankfully shakes up your cards after they trigger, so I went in with 9 hands as usual. I wasn't sure if Loyalty Card would make its presence known but I was able to successfully figure out its location even without the shaking. The sweetest of victories. Then on ante 10 I hit the psychic and apparently playing anything other than 5 cards does not increase Loyalty Card's counter so lol, run died there. But that was still an exciting run. Actually I guess it would've worked nearly as well even without duping Burglar. But 3 hands of economy extra helped.

Darke GBF fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 10, 2024

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Finally beat Orange stakes with the Ghost Deck by getting Yorick as my first joker quickly followed by Blueprint :getin:

It was a struggle not to lose before fulfilling Yorick's condition but after that I making big business no matter what I played.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I'm definitely getting salty trying to beat Purple stakes; this is the 3rd time I've had a really good run hit the Ante 8 boss and have it be specifically tailored to shut me down.

This time was particularly painful; I had the boss who debuffs all your cards until you sell a joker. But 'lo, I can skip the Small Blind and get a free Negative Joker in the final store, which should solve the problem nicely.

And the game gives me a Negative Eternal Joker that doesn't do anything with my build, forcing me to sell one of my good jokers and causing me to fail by about 4k chips.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Finally got Blueprint, Brainstorm, and Sock and Buskin at the same time, enabling me to reach 100 billion score. Lost when I ran out of glass queens, sadly.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Finally broke into the 12th ante and wow, scaling gets steep.

Least I got my voucher.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Does the shake from the Amber acorn change the number on the card so that you lose your count? I couldn't really understand what it was doing since the card was upside down and I only saw it the one time

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Sign of success, someone's made a cheat mod for WeMod, and someone also made a nexusmods mod that mucks about with the card system and scoring (basically an easier mode game, negative jokers give additional slots other than the normal +1, etcetera)

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Harold Fjord posted:

Does the shake from the Amber acorn change the number on the card so that you lose your count? I couldn't really understand what it was doing since the card was upside down and I only saw it the one time

I'm unsure what number you're referring to but it flips all your jokers upside down and shuffles the position. It's meant to screw you if you relied very heavily on positional based jokers (blueprint, brainstorm, xMult, etc)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

Just bought a cavendish and had it go extinct in the next round. I feel like I should get an achievement for this.

EDIT: After the next round after that, a second cavendish appeared in the shop. The game has the opportunity to do the funniest thing of all time.

Cavendish feels weak for the multiplier it offers
It should either be a timed chance of disappearing (like 4 hands or something and then it sets) or have a higher multiplier like popcorn to make it serve as a temporary early game power boost to let you build out the rest of your deck

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Cavendish feels weak for the multiplier it offers
It should either be a timed chance of disappearing (like 4 hands or something and then it sets) or have a higher multiplier like popcorn to make it serve as a temporary early game power boost to let you build out the rest of your deck

I think you're thinking of Gros Michel, which is the +12 mult 1/4 chance of being eaten. Cavendish is X3 mult, 1/1000 chance of being eaten, only shows up if the former has gone extinct first.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ah oh poo poo yeah I had no idea. I just thought there was the one banana. That makes a lot more sense now and I guess addresses my complaint with the original.
drat Balatro, you continue to surprise me

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i desire a third, even more powerful type of banana

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DM me

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

There should be one that only spawns after you lose your Cavendish but that would make every completionist very mad. I've never seen it happen, not even when I ran 3 cavendish at the same time.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That sort of thing is difficult to make scale well.

Started playing yesterday and I’m looking forward to opening it up on the plane tonight and teleporting to California.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Plantain: retriggers all cards three times, 1 in 1000000 chance to uninstall the game and delete your profile.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

:hmmyes:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Relyssa posted:

I'm unsure what number you're referring to but it flips all your jokers upside down and shuffles the position. It's meant to screw you if you relied very heavily on positional based jokers (blueprint, brainstorm, xMult, etc)

It's worth noting that it only shuffles them one time. If you watch your jokers after your first hand you can figure out where they are based on what they do and move them back into position.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Finished the last two challenges. Golden needle was still the toughest imo. Jokerless was mostly about getting the right tarots to hit (justice, world, hermit) to build a reliable flush deck. You learn a lot about strategy doing the challenges, but more for surviving blinds than stacking huge numbers for ante 12+. I had neglected maximizing glass/mult cards, and they make a big difference. Glass cards offer a lot more utility than steel, given the choice.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Gros Michel is 1/4
Cavendish is X3
Plantain... Raises your mult to the power of 2

:getin:

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

the holy poopacy posted:

The Plantain: retriggers all cards three times, 1 in 1000000 chance to uninstall the game and delete your profile.

I like it

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

finally made it to ante 12 thanks to Midas Mask + Vampire, they even showed up at the same time in the store

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

That sort of thing is difficult to make scale well.

It's a banana, Michael. How hard could it scale, 10X?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Big Mad Drongo posted:

It's a banana, Michael. How hard could it scale, 10X?

God damnit.

:bravo:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/GreyAlien/status/1766773019278520699?t=ptgQlOISciw9LQFvtJyWKw&s=19

:rip:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:owned:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Balatro was hardly a surprise, it was building buzz all through EA

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Balatro also has the right amount of weird art and music to be compelling, I'd buy it every time over something that looks like a bad horse game.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

DreadUnknown posted:

Balatro also has the right amount of weird art and music to be compelling, I'd buy it every time over something that looks like a bad horse game.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

DreadUnknown posted:

That game does have strong horse/“elsa gets a root canal” energy

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Gold stake victory with the yellow deck. Early uncommon offering was Arrowhead, and spectral pack on the same store duplicated it. Got the spade +mult joker shortly after, and constellation and blackboard to round things out. Fishing for a spade flush with only black cards left in hand got me over the finish line, although despite redeeming 20+ planet cards my flush was still only level two by the end. Mother gently caress.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Devs seething is one of the worst parts about Twitter. Sorry your game didn't do well but stop making GBS threads on other people's work in response.

For what it's worth I have the first regency solitaire and it's a pretty fun little casual game, but it doesn't have anything particularly compelling or exciting that would make me buy a sequel.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

This looks like one of those games with the weird commercials where a woman's husband leaves her and she plays a match 3 game to make her hovel into a mansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
smh at the fools who don't respect solitaire