Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Gummy Joe posted:

EDIT: Further investigation (via the lparchive, went to the oldest ones, clicked on ones that looked familiar, and searched for my name) suggests it was actually probably Scorchy's KOTOR II that pried open my wallet.

Oh man, that's a good one to have been drawn in by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Remember Richard Gamingo?

I always do :smith:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i used to laugh fondly at gamingo's antics but after talking with Putty about what a surreal experience it was to record with the guy, the subforum is better off with his absence.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Who is Richard Gamingo? They don't seem to have an entry on SAclopedia.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I came into this thread and just assumed Richard Gamingo was just some guy from way back when, never really cared about it too much to bother in the light of TDI turning out to be totally loving daffy, but then I randomly google that name, and I get this gem of a thread. Holy loving poo poo. It gets even better if you look at the various offenses on his rap sheet.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Commander Keene posted:

what really? SALP, we are collectively lacking. someone please do the needful

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

Guy who showed up here out of nowhere in I wanna say like 2014 or 15, and posted a bunch, and I mean a BUNCH of lovely low effort VLPs of shootemup games with incredibly oddball, borderline mentally ill commentary, to the point where it was just flooding the zone with poo poo. Geop, the mod of LP at the time, got sick of his poo poo and threw down a challenge saying "post a VLP of yourself playing chess with normal, subdued commentary or you'll be banned, if you post anything else but chess, you will be banned, you have one month to do this or you will be banned."

So Gamingo just disappears after that and the whole month flies by with everyone in the sub losing their poo poo over whether or not he will post chess or if Geop just scored the coup of the decade on this random weirdo. All this time there's some weird random hype man posting these weird "What happened to Richard Gamingo?"/"I believe in Richard Gamingo" videos amping people up even further (this later turned out to be Gamingo using an alt because he apparently worked in marketing and/or finance IRL and knew how to play people). Then on the day of the deadline at nearly the last second... Gamingo returns and posts chess, earning his clemency and the right to keep posting poo poo and humiliating Geop and a fun time was had by all.

Then Gamingo just kind of, I dunno, peters out, his big moment of fame come and gone and the shine of his star, such as it is, fastly faded. As Sally said, Putty tried to reach out to him to do a guest comm spot on a video of his and he scrapped the whole thing because Gamingo was a legit gibbering nutbar. I distinctly recall him saying to me something of the effect to "As someone who does a bit in their commentary, I know when people are doing a bit, and this guy is 100% not faking his crazy."

From there, he drifts away from LP and starts haunting BFC where he starts posting absolutely unhinged investing advice that usually ended on the punchline of "drink your own piss" or something to that effect and quickly got repeatedly banned from there until he just stopped buying his account back and left SA forever.

He is now a legend and always will be.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

He wrote this tremendously bad story for Thunderdome:

RG
Gamingo vs Leekster 800-1000 words 2 syllables max

quote:

"Batten down the hatches on the poop! There be a slurry storm up ahead!" Captain Sherlock shouted to the crew on deck. Mary already knew the storm had been set to meet her on this voyage and remained below deck. She was not a crew member anyhow. And whether the ship float or sink did not bother her sense of justice in the least.

The sailing crew closed the hatch Mary was looking up through as the winds picked up. A solid wind pushing the Captain's petticoat into a fan at the back of him, he looked to the not-so-distant storm with its wide, tall clouds and heavy rains. After another moment he raises the lens of an eye glass to his sight.

Lightning fills the too-dark evening with blinks of intense white light. Captain Sherlock keeps his eyes fixed to the storm, one looking through the eye glass. The shocking flashes exactly what he needs to spy deeper into the chaos ahead. Dancing white light given off by the hearty strikes bounces among the cloud's wet drops before his view. The captain's steady gaze watching the roil of the stormfront, his mind making careful note of the scene before him.
Without a hatch to look through, Mary sat and picked her needle and thread from a nearby table. Before she knew it she was back to knitting, "All of these waves and my tummy remains settled." Mary muses over the work as the needle slips up, through, around, up through, around, up, through, around... "This black thread is just perfect for deathmasks."
A flash of light. Dancing. The light taking too long to fade. Captain Sherlock knows. Its hail that's up ahead.

The captain tucked the seeing eye glass under his left arm and stared into the stormfront for another moment. He minds himself, "A rain of hail might damage the sails. Hail wrapped up in violent winds, doubly so. God knows that with enough force it will punch right through the deck. The storm looks as if it will be upon us in a matter of five minutes."
"Higher waves are on the way." Sherlock turns to deliver the storm's bad news to the crew.

Ten gusts rocked the boat, each in their turn. The first rocked into the starboard hull and the ship turned to an angle of seventy degrees. The second gust arrived with out any more power, though the din of the kitchen's pots cascade from cabinet to floor was enough to shake the novice shiphand from his nerves, though no novice be aboard the ship. The winds picked up their beat and began a regular howling about the mast, the ladders, and finally roared upon their own terrible accord.

A third gust carried a wave of twenty-five foot, the fourth, fifth, and sixth wracked the ship in rapid tempo such that they seemed to strike as one. The poopdeck hit a fifty degree angle and Barney went overboard with the metal sheet the sailors were placing over a weak spot above the cargo chamber. Sherlock, shouting, gave the signal to get below deck. His voice caught in the howling wind but the seamen spotted his gesture through the flailing of rope and rain.
The crew made it to the fore of the quarter deck where the hatch down was. The captain, into his chambers. Gust seven struck and took first mate Gallant, who was braving the tumult to keep the hatch raised for his fellows, into the drink. The eight wind came with a wave and the soaked deck was flooded. Crew mate John -- last in line -- was nearly taken by the waters. John's white-knuckled grip on the edge of the first stair down his grace. He pulled himself through the portal and the gushing waters followed his descent.

The heavy hatch door remained open, flush with the deck. The ninth gust came with a thunder. The fury shot the sail with hot light.

The tenth gust blew them all down.

----------------------------

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Gamingo returns and posts chess, earning his clemency and the right to keep posting poo poo and humiliating Geop

RichardGaminGod

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Guy who showed up here out of nowhere in I wanna say like 2014 or 15, and posted a bunch, and I mean a BUNCH of lovely low effort VLPs of shootemup games with incredibly oddball, borderline mentally ill commentary, to the point where it was just flooding the zone with poo poo. Geop, the mod of LP at the time, got sick of his poo poo and threw down a challenge saying "post a VLP of yourself playing chess with normal, subdued commentary or you'll be banned, if you post anything else but chess, you will be banned, you have one month to do this or you will be banned."

So Gamingo just disappears after that and the whole month flies by with everyone in the sub losing their poo poo over whether or not he will post chess or if Geop just scored the coup of the decade on this random weirdo. All this time there's some weird random hype man posting these weird "What happened to Richard Gamingo?"/"I believe in Richard Gamingo" videos amping people up even further (this later turned out to be Gamingo using an alt because he apparently worked in marketing and/or finance IRL and knew how to play people). Then on the day of the deadline at nearly the last second... Gamingo returns and posts chess, earning his clemency and the right to keep posting poo poo and humiliating Geop and a fun time was had by all.

Then Gamingo just kind of, I dunno, peters out, his big moment of fame come and gone and the shine of his star, such as it is, fastly faded. As Sally said, Putty tried to reach out to him to do a guest comm spot on a video of his and he scrapped the whole thing because Gamingo was a legit gibbering nutbar. I distinctly recall him saying to me something of the effect to "As someone who does a bit in their commentary, I know when people are doing a bit, and this guy is 100% not faking his crazy."

From there, he drifts away from LP and starts haunting BFC where he starts posting absolutely unhinged investing advice that usually ended on the punchline of "drink your own piss" or something to that effect and quickly got repeatedly banned from there until he just stopped buying his account back and left SA forever.

He is now a legend and always will be.

What a guy, goddamn

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I believe in Dick Gaming.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

Guy who showed up here out of nowhere in I wanna say like 2014 or 15

It was definitely 2014, I know this because my very first post was in a RichardGamingo thread. (Don't go looking for it, it was pretty cringe and in this part of the arc:

quote:

Then Gamingo just kind of, I dunno, peters out, his big moment of fame come and gone and the shine of his star, such as it is, fastly faded.

long after all of the actually funny posts had been made.)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Gamingo's chess challenge win was so triumphant there has never since been an LP mod challenge.

nor will there

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_AyR1PI4_4

Standing up facecam

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
At least he left when the getting was good and not make a 15 year long extended universe about his own life.

Leal fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 11, 2024

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Sally posted:

Gamingo's chess challenge win was so triumphant there has never since been an LP mod challenge.

nor will there

i thought the blooming onion thread came after gamingo though? i don't care enough to check sorry

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Leal posted:

At least he left when the getting was good and not make a 15 year long extended universe about his own life.

Into The Gamingo-Verse

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

biosterous posted:

i thought the blooming onion thread came after gamingo though? i don't care enough to check sorry

wasnt that just Geop making bets with his own LP thread? can a mod mod challenge themselves? i always saw that as just a bogstandard thread challenge

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i don't remember, anyway here's the blooming onion blender render

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-NgO53BdbI

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

biosterous posted:

i don't remember, anyway here's the blooming onion blender render

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-NgO53BdbI

lol

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
was briefly reminded of the Rock Paper Scissors dual threads and the cheating 'scandal' in them

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Gamingone but not forgotten

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Junpei posted:

was briefly reminded of the Rock Paper Scissors dual threads and the cheating 'scandal' in them
Both covski's and nine-gear crow's legacies summed up in a sentence :lol::lol:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

A narrative LP like the one I did for XCOM Enemy Within would be... a hell of a lot of effort to do again. Buuut I am strongly considering an Aliens Dark Descent video LP. Hmm...

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Heard good things about that game and I'd be down, though the obvious thing would be to follow-up your sequel hook by doing XCOM 2: War of the Chosen.

But then again, that might be too obvious.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I would love to do that, though it would be balls-hard to commit to until I got my head REALLY right. Still. I like to imagine that the "intel points" we trade at the black market are illegal cat photos because the Elders have forbidden all domestic animals.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Speedball posted:

A narrative LP like the one I did for XCOM Enemy Within would be... a hell of a lot of effort to do again. Buuut I am strongly considering an Aliens Dark Descent video LP. Hmm...

I am still waiting for that promised XCOM 2 LP you promised after all the DLC was out :V

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Sally posted:

wasnt that just Geop making bets with his own LP thread? can a mod mod challenge themselves? i always saw that as just a bogstandard thread challenge

It was definitely post Geop because I ran that challenge. So.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Anyway, there's actually a better but far less interesting and funny reason for there not being a mod challenge in LP since then; it's actually really difficult to make a mod challenge funny. Like. At minimum you need someone you want to ban or at least punish harshly over their bullshit. But also someone you want to potentially let off. Then you need a challenge that's appropriate to said bullshit that needs to be, you know, doable but just challenging enough to, you know, be a challenge worth overcoming for clemency, but also not something so specific that other posters can't also compete. Finally, the whole endeavour, including the competition itself, has to be funny. How that works exactly depends on the context but like. This is LP. We don't really have very many contexts.

It's really very rare for all of these elements to come together in LP. Hell it's rare enough we get the first and most fundamental element at all - the guy. LP is quiet and drama free for months at a time. And when something does come along, it is invariably either a minor dispute over spoilers or... the Pokémon Amputee Sex Slave ROM Hack LP Request Guy. Or wesflarger. Or... The Dark Id.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It's all the accumulated drama pressure that suddenly finds a release valve.

So what I'm saying is that the subforum is like a volcano.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Speedball posted:

Lord I remember the night where he basically live-tweeted his entire attack on his house to the discord. He made me chief mod with the brief DM of "you're in charge now. And you're a good friend." I was like "what's happening?" He just said "Mission: Survive." Later on I checked out the main channel where he had been giving periodic updates like "okay. Two more guys. I can take two more guys." And apparently the reason these guys sucked at infiltration is they were wearing all black in a snowy area.

This all seems obviously fake in hindsight, but you don't understand how he eases you into this crazed world of his. one offhand comment per month, added up over time.

I'm also seriously pissed off the past few days. My therapist encouraged me to swear heavily at a whiteboard list of his lies. Very theraputic.

i also followed this live, this event being the first thing i caught of his "life" beside that he was a pmc guy with a dead daughter, i know its silly in hindsight but when someone tells you something is happening live and they're in danger and poo poo, my sense of disbelief goes out of the window especially since i had never had any reason to doubt them before

I also don't have a strong sense of disbelief in the first place and take things very literally a lot of the time so yeh

shortly after i learned that id was full of poo poo from DMs

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 11, 2024

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
who was wesflarger

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Leraika posted:

who was wesflarger

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Good ol' wesflarger: https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=226013

He decided to join so he could post several youtube dumps, got probated and then made a meltdown video which has since been removed. Then he returned and posted another dump and when people called him out again he asked for help on how to make a good LP for the forum, people gave him sound advice which he completely ignored and carried on with lovely threads and more dumps, most of which ended up in the toxic waste dump. I believe he made a second meltdown video aimed at the LP forum which was also removed as he was still trying to make a name for himself here.

He proceeded to post elsewhere on the forums which quite often consisted of a lot of misogynistic and homophobic talk which promptly got him probated and banned numerous times. He made two alt accounts and continued this behaviour which also got probated and banned. He decided to make a few more meltdown videos which contained more toxic language. He then paid to unban his own account and made a post in GBS about a book that he wrote: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917402

The thread in which he ate a 100,000-hour probe is either deleted or removed from public view. The guy was a dickhead and deserved the backlash he received.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm discovering his two piss threads in LP (as 'Urine Philosopher' and 'Richard Gamingololo') got vanished by the archiving issue due to being posted in mid-2014, great loss. Pretty sure they'd been gassed anyway.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
no great loss. i vaguely remembering reading the urine philospher one and being unable to muster more than an "ok"

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
It's a shame that Gamingo nuked his own youtube channel. I think the only video left of his LPs is the one that Retsuprae covered in one of their own videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_AyR1PI4_4

There's also another video by someone who once played Prop Hunt with him that was posted 9 years ago. I haven't seen before so I have no idea of the content but it's available here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hJGs9XV3pc

I'm at work at the moment so I'll check it out later. I'm a bit wary as I was around during his heyday and he had some colourful language at times. I remember he used the naughty N word during one of his recordings.

I'll have to see if I can track down the merchandise that he was trying to sell, but that's one thing that may possibly lost to time.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I think the post/thread that netted wes his much deserved 100k'er was moved to an unviewable admin-only part of the forums because he just snapped and started posting stuff that could be construed as overt threats against me and my family. Over a 6 hour probation, let's not forget that part.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah I moved that one to the mod forum because it was, uh, bad. A lot of his meltdowns were kinda funny in retrospect but you don't bag yourself a 100k without a little bit of yikes

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Well drat. I thought Richard Gamingo was just an alt of Lowtax, and since I didn't care for his LP videos, I just ignored his threads. Looks like I missed out. Ah well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
no, gamingo was a genuinely unhinged person who also somehow collected his fair share of worshipers while he was posting.

like, the one detail that i feel like others haven't really highlighted is the fact that he had like 10-ish simps that would go to bat for him every single time he posted a new thread and people piled in to point out every way the thread sucked.

i do not think they were alts because many of the simp accounts were older than gamingo's and i simply cannot buy that a guy who was so thoroughly manic plotted that far ahead.