Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
yeah it’s messed up that pocket card jockey overshadowed balatro’s release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Snooze Cruise posted:

smh at the fools who don't respect solitaire

you'd think solitare would be a goon's favorite game

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Was going for the unlock for a 12 round win, but miscounted and finished with 13 :negative:

The panel for current run info doesn't show # rounds played so far, but just realized it shows the blinds and tags for the current ante lol. Probably should use that more.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Phone posted:

yeah it’s messed up that pocket card jockey overshadowed balatro’s release

Oh poo poo, is it good? The 3ds version was incredibly addicting.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Debuffed cards make the Flowerpot not work.

Flowerpot is already by far the worst of the mult jokers, even worse than the stupid idol, somehow. I'm sorry, but if the many ways bosses can debuff individual cards blocks that entire card, it needs to have a x5 mult to make that worth it. x3 is nowhere near strong enough.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

Debuffed cards make the Flowerpot not work.

Flowerpot is already by far the worst of the mult jokers, even worse than the stupid idol, somehow. I'm sorry, but if the many ways bosses can debuff individual cards blocks that entire card, it needs to have a x5 mult to make that worth it. x3 is nowhere near strong enough.

a single wild card is enough to turn the flowerpot on, which i would argue puts it on about the same level as the other x3 mult jokers. the bigger issue is that wild cards are the weakest enhancement and the wild card arcana is one of the worst arcana options, so if i were making balance changes i would try to buff that instead. maybe by letting the wild card arcana target two cards like the bonus/mult enhancement arcanas

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Interesting

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Decided to take a break from slamming my head against Purple stakes to go for the $400 unlock. Figured I'd use the Anaglyph deck and unload the Double tags when I got something that gave me extra money.

I didn't get a single tag that gave money the whole attempt.

Still got the unlock anyway:

I had both vouchers that increased the interest earned, so I was getting $20+ per round played at the end.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Regency Solitaire and its spinoff Shadowhand are decent games that my partner enjoyed enough to beat and replay, but they arent designed super tightly and they have a narrative focus that means they arent really in the same space as 'poker roguelike' at all so... yeah. Sorry dev guy but you made a game aimed at a much more narrowly scoped audience?

I guess this is a decent enough attempt to build buzz

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 11, 2024

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

Flowerpot is already by far the worst of the mult jokers, even worse than the stupid idol, somehow.

At least the idol can become a x32 mult if you have a tiny deck with only 1 or 2 distinct cards that you use to do Five of a kind (with each card giving you x2). Potentially it'd be x1024 if you retrigger the cards. It's extremely niche, but it's the kind of thing you abuse to go infinite. There's a reason you unlock it after getting a 1 million chips hand.

Flowerpot is just bad yeah. It seems like it's meant for wildcards but wildcards just suck.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fuligin posted:

Regency Solitaire and its spinoff Shadowhand are decent games that my partner enjoyed enough to beat and replay, but they arent designed super tightly and they have a narrative focus that means they arent really in the same space as 'poker roguelike' at all so... yeah. Sorry dev guy but you made a game aimed at a much more narrowly scoped audience?

I guess this is a decent enough attempt to build buzz

Yeah, I've heard Regency Solitaire is a fun enough game, but it's nothing like Balatro, the audience overlap can't be anything other than "small", and the amount of people that were like "I have exactly [equivalent of 15 euro in local currency], guess I better buy Balatro over Regency Solitaire 2 " must be miniscule.

Like yeah whatever, sucks to make less money than the other guy, but this is apples to oranges, and it just makes me not care for RS if the dev is gonna whine like that tbh.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Let’s stop talking about that other fail game because that’s what the fail dev wants.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I feel like putting out a solid demo goes a long way towards putting your game nobody's heard of on the map.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
OK, so seriously, is there an actual unlock for getting the card that generates legendary jokers to appear?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Veryslightlymad posted:

OK, so seriously, is there an actual unlock for getting the card that generates legendary jokers to appear?
None of the spectral cards are locked behind anything. The Soul card is just kinda rare.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I got three legendary jokers in like 40 hours, but I've heard some people have gone 100 hours without seeing a single one.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

I feel like putting out a solid demo goes a long way towards putting your game nobody's heard of on the map.

It got me to buy Balatro, can confirm. Conversely, the demo not being available anymore is a bummer

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Venuz Patrol posted:

a single wild card is enough to turn the flowerpot on, which i would argue puts it on about the same level as the other x3 mult jokers. the bigger issue is that wild cards are the weakest enhancement and the wild card arcana is one of the worst arcana options, so if i were making balance changes i would try to buff that instead. maybe by letting the wild card arcana target two cards like the bonus/mult enhancement arcanas
A single wild card does not turn flowerpot on. For flowerpot's purposes a wild card will count as a single suit that you don't have in that hand yet, so it will trigger off of four wild cards, or three different suits and a wild card, but won't trigger off of a hand that's one or two different suits and a wild card.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
If a single wild card was enough to trigger it, flowerpot might actually be takeable. As is, I have never bought it even once. v0v

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I just saw there's an "Unlock All" button in the Profile menu, is that gonna unlock everything in the Collection? Is there any downside to clicking it at all? I wanted to unlock everything first before doing Gold attempts but I'd rather not fish for four 7 of Clubs and stuff if I don't have to

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

blizzardvizard posted:

I just saw there's an "Unlock All" button in the Profile menu, is that gonna unlock everything in the Collection? Is there any downside to clicking it at all? I wanted to unlock everything first before doing Gold attempts but I'd rather not fish for four 7 of Clubs and stuff if I don't have to

It disables achievements. Whether this matters or not is up to you.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

quiggy posted:

It disables achievements. Whether this matters or not is up to you.

Bleh, I wish I don't have the brainworm that makes me care about that, but I do. I'll do it the hard way then.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I hate wildcards with a passion but flower pot's not unusable. It's only moderately worse than, say, Card Sharp, which by definition doesn't activate every play and also has multiple bosses that block it. x3 is a lot and is worth putting up with some hassle for.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

blizzardvizard posted:

you lock your profile out of cheevos and you miss out on the sweat and tears to unlock stuff. dont blame ppl who do rly

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Can a single wild card benefit from multiple suit interactions? EG: You have hearts and spades give +4 multi, will a wild trigger both?

Even if so, wild feels honestly a little weak of a modifier when you compare it to the chip and multi tarots giving you two cards. If you're going for suit synergy, suit switcher tarots give you 3 cards, though you need to get the right one, and obviously that's less flexible then wild, but I assume there's not a lot of strats that benefit from wild over just having the specific suit you want? Unless you're trying to dodge suit debuffers, in which case Wild is of zero help.

Would it be too powerful if wild was treated as just a suit and not an enhancement? Or would it be too much for the tarot to convert 2 wilds instead of 1?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Oxyclean posted:

Can a single wild card benefit from multiple suit interactions? EG: You have hearts and spades give +4 multi, will a wild trigger both?

Even if so, wild feels honestly a little weak of a modifier when you compare it to the chip and multi tarots giving you two cards. If you're going for suit synergy, suit switcher tarots give you 3 cards, though you need to get the right one, and obviously that's less flexible then wild, but I assume there's not a lot of strats that benefit from wild over just having the specific suit you want? Unless you're trying to dodge suit debuffers, in which case Wild is of zero help.

Would it be too powerful if wild was treated as just a suit and not an enhancement? Or would it be too much for the tarot to convert 2 wilds instead of 1?

Yes, a wild card will trigger both. Downside, as you mentioned, is that wild card is affected by all suit debuff bosses.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

2 wilds for one tarot seems reasonable to me. Wild card is not a good enough buff especially when competing with other enhancements that you should only ever get one at a time.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I would prefer 0 wilds for one tarot tbh

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

to fix wilds I'd like to see 1) more bosses to dilute the boss pool (or make the 4 suit bosses show up 1/4 as often) 2) more jokers like ancient joker 3) flower pot buff

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Venuz Patrol posted:

for flowerpot specifically, a wild card counts as any one suit. You still need 3 other suits to activate flowerpot. I don't know why when basically every other joker counts it as any suit. It's a really bad joker.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
see i didn't give enough of a poo poo to even test wild cards on that joker so i guess that does say something about its viability

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

it's actually fine if some jokers are weaker than others

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Nihilarian posted:

for flowerpot specifically, a wild card counts as any one suit. You still need 3 other suits to activate flowerpot. I don't know why when basically every other joker counts it as any suit. It's a really bad joker.

The alternative, where any wild card would auto-trigger flower pot, seems overpowered.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'd like to see Flowerpot be something more like "X1 for each different suit in played cards in hand"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

The alternative, where any wild card would auto-trigger flower pot, seems overpowered.

I would disagree considering the downside is that wildcards are hard countered by a quarter of the boss blinds. If they're going to always count as every suit for boss abilities then they should always count as every suit for flower pot, and if they're only going to count for one suit for flower pot then they shouldn't get hit by boss blinds.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i think every joker is beatiful in its own unique way

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

DaveWoo posted:

I'd like to see Flowerpot be something more like "X1 for each different suit in played cards in hand"

I think having it count all cards played, not just scored would be the best fix

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Just make it X5

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Had a fun run with Abandoned Deck: Walkie Talkie, Dusk and of course, Ride the Bus. Negative Rocket was real nice too. Just throw out junk hands and discards so my final hand is a bunch of 10's and 4s. Even managed to get a few five of a kinds.

I'm not sure how overpowered that would be since you need to draw the wild and amassing them take some focus/luck. As previously mentioned, turning cards wild means you can't do multi/bonus either, and you'd probably also need a second aspect to your strategy, but I guess if you are doing wilds, you can go for a flush deck.

and then get hard countered by one of the suit or flush boss counters. (Although Ox is kind of funny because it's like "jokes on you, i'm already poor." )

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

There are much easier ways to get X3 already and the joker is such dogshit that it would only elevate it to playable. It would in no way make it op.