Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Olympic Mathlete posted:

There was another billionaire down the other day, Mitch McConnell's sister in law somehow reversed her tesla into a lake on her own middle of nowhere property and slowly drowned. It was a party so I'm assuming wasted.

wrong thread

e; i'll double down for 12 hours and add the billionaire who died from a dick enbiggening is wrong thread too

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Large Testicles posted:

wrong thread

e; i'll double down for 12 hours and add the billionaire who died from a dick enbiggening is wrong thread too

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

dick enlargement is definitely car stuff. both wrong thread

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I wonder how Musk will react to one of his peers suffering this kind of fate. Could a Tesla detect being submerger soon enough to automatically open the windows. Or will Teslas drive in the rain with open windows from now on.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Maybe Musk could provide a custom mini sub?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Saukkis posted:

I wonder how Musk will react to one of his peers suffering this kind of fate. Could a Tesla detect being submerger soon enough to automatically open the windows. Or will Teslas drive in the rain with open windows from now on.

we're talking about a car whose fail state when it catches on fire is to lock all the doors and disable the windows

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
The dick surgery fit the context of discussion and this is a related follow-up involving the safest cars in the world. Definitely going a bit off the rails though

How could you sense that the car was underwater and not in heavy rain or in a car wash? You don't want to be wrong and destroy someone's vehicle

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Automakers Are Sharing Consumers’ Driving Behavior With Insurance Companies

LexisNexis, which generates consumer risk profiles for the insurers, knew about every trip G.M. drivers had taken in their cars, including when they sped, braked too hard or accelerated rapidly.

quote:

Kenn Dahl says he has always been a careful driver. The owner of a software company near Seattle, he drives a leased Chevrolet Bolt. He’s never been responsible for an accident.

So Mr. Dahl, 65, was surprised in 2022 when the cost of his car insurance jumped by 21 percent. Quotes from other insurance companies were also high. One insurance agent told him his LexisNexis report was a factor.

LexisNexis is a New York-based global data broker with a “Risk Solutions” division that caters to the auto insurance industry and has traditionally kept tabs on car accidents and tickets. Upon Mr. Dahl’s request, LexisNexis sent him a 258-page “consumer disclosure report,” which it must provide per the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

What it contained stunned him: more than 130 pages detailing each time he or his wife had driven the Bolt over the previous six months. It included the dates of 640 trips, their start and end times, the distance driven and an accounting of any speeding, hard braking or sharp accelerations. The only thing it didn’t have is where they had driven the car.

On a Thursday morning in June for example, the car had been driven 7.33 miles in 18 minutes; there had been two rapid accelerations and two incidents of hard braking.

According to the report, the trip details had been provided by General Motors — the manufacturer of the Chevy Bolt. LexisNexis analyzed that driving data to create a risk score “for insurers to use as one factor of many to create more personalized insurance coverage,” according to a LexisNexis spokesman, Dean Carney. Eight insurance companies had requested information about Mr. Dahl from LexisNexis over the previous month.

“It felt like a betrayal,” Mr. Dahl said. “They’re taking information that I didn’t realize was going to be shared and screwing with our insurance.”

quote:

Modern cars are internet-enabled, allowing access to services like navigation, roadside assistance and car apps that drivers can connect to their vehicles to locate them or unlock them remotely. In recent years, automakers, including G.M., Honda, Kia and Hyundai, have started offering optional features in their connected-car apps that rate people’s driving. Some drivers may not realize that, if they turn on these features, the car companies then give information about how they drive to data brokers like LexisNexis.

Automakers and data brokers that have partnered to collect detailed driving data from millions of Americans say they have drivers’ permission to do so. But the existence of these partnerships is nearly invisible to drivers, whose consent is obtained in fine print and murky privacy policies that few read.

Especially troubling is that some drivers with vehicles made by G.M. say they were tracked even when they did not turn on the feature — called OnStar Smart Driver — and that their insurance rates went up as a result.

quote:

Customers turn on Smart Driver, said Ms. Lucich, the G.M. spokeswoman, “at the time of purchase or through their vehicle mobile app.” It is possible that G.M. drivers who insisted they didn’t opt in were unknowingly signed up at the dealership, where salespeople can receive bonuses for successful enrollment of customers in OnStar services, including Smart Driver, according to a company manual.

The Cadillac owner in Florida said he had not heard of Smart Driver and never noticed it in the MyCadillac app. He reviewed the paperwork he signed at the dealership when he bought his Cadillac in the fall of 2021 and found no mention of signing up for it.

“When a customer accepts the user terms and privacy statement (which are separately reviewed in the enrollment flow), they consent to sharing their data with third parties,” Ms. Lucich wrote in an email, pointing to OnStar’s privacy statement.

But that statement’s section on “third-party business relationships” does not mention Smart Driver. It names SiriusXM as a company G.M. might share data with, not LexisNexis Risk Solutions, which G.M. has partnered with since 2019.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/11/...Share&sgrp=c-cb

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
gently caress this poo poo. My next car is a model t.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

It's only a matter of time before your car starts calling the cops on you.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Insurance companies are pushing installing apps on your phone to do this. Yeah, I don't need the discount nearly that much.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Was listening to a podcast where the person said they once wrote a story about self driving cars taking you to jail. Haven't read the story itself, but definitely made me think about who's in control.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

That would involve the police doing a modicum of work, and they're not really interested in that. There will just be a roll of paper in your dash that dispenses tickets in the name of the jurisdiction that you sped in

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

That would involve the police doing a modicum of work, and they're not really interested in that. There will just be a roll of paper in your dash that dispenses tickets in the name of the jurisdiction that you sped in
Coming full-circle from the early "GPS" attempts with a scrolling map

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The Door Frame posted:

Demolition Man style.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Zero One posted:

LexisNexis, which generates consumer risk profiles for the insurers, knew about every trip G.M. drivers had taken in their cars, including when they sped, braked too hard or accelerated rapidly.

Kenn Dahl? I’m supposed to believe this is a person that actually exists?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Uthor posted:

Insurance companies are pushing installing apps on your phone to do this. Yeah, I don't need the discount nearly that much.

Was listening to a podcast where the person said they once wrote a story about self driving cars taking you to jail. Haven't read the story itself, but definitely made me think about who's in control.

This story mentions that GM is sending this data either without your consent (some are claiming) or without disclosure that they are sharing it at all (privacy policy doesn't list Lexis).

And no one is getting any cost savings from it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yes, sorry if I was mixing that up. Just wanted to say that it's not just the car itself one has to think about.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Zero One posted:

This story mentions that GM is sending this data either without your consent (some are claiming) or without disclosure that they are sharing it at all (privacy policy doesn't list Lexis).

And no one is getting any cost savings from it.

Progressive insurance has a monitoring app. Those things are complete scams too, it was supposed to save money, but the Missus was paying nearly $300 a month to cover a decade old Scion xA with that service. Even when we weren't married and had different addresses, covering both our cars under my traditional allstate insurance was less than $300 a month

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

The Door Frame posted:

The dick surgery fit the context of discussion and this is a related follow-up involving the safest cars in the world. Definitely going a bit off the rails though

yeah, i only mean that billionaires dying is not terrible in any way and is in fact, awesome

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

There was another billionaire down the other day, Mitch McConnell's sister in law somehow reversed her tesla into a lake on her own middle of nowhere property and slowly drowned. It was a party so I'm assuming wasted.

What model Tesla? At least some of the have a decently accessible manual release on the front doors.
And as far as I know, outside of the Cybertruck, Tesla glass is just normal glass. Why did they have so much trouble breaking it.
I'm also honestly curious if emergency responders would have spent 43 minutes trying to resuscitate a poor person.

Zero One posted:

wesleywillis posted:

gently caress this poo poo. My next car is a model t.

gently caress. That. For a start, stop sharing my data, then, someone needs to reign in the goddamned insurance companies.
For one thing, is it "risky driving" if it does not result in an accident? Define, exactly, "braked too hard" and "accelerated rapidly."

The Door Frame posted:

Progressive insurance has a monitoring app. Those things are complete scams

Fixed that for you.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Darchangel posted:

For one thing, is it "risky driving" if it does not result in an accident? Define, exactly, "braked too hard" and "accelerated rapidly."

Fun thing about this: Tesla's insurance uses driving data and there are lots of posts on Reddit from Tesla bros trying to figure out when they should run a red light or cut off a pedestrian in a crosswalk to avoid braking too hard and hurting their safe driving score.

So there is pretty solid evidence this type of monitoring encourages bad driving rather than discouraging it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The Door Frame posted:

Progressive insurance has a monitoring app. Those things are complete scams too, it was supposed to save money, but the Missus was paying nearly $300 a month to cover a decade old Scion xA with that service. Even when we weren't married and had different addresses, covering both our cars under my traditional allstate insurance was less than $300 a month

I tried Progressive's OBDII dongle once and found it tremendously annoying. When I lived in NYC and didn't drive my car for a couple weeks at a time, they started emailing me reminding me to plug the dongle in, etc. It was plugged in, the car was just off and underground.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Darchangel posted:

And as far as I know, outside of the Cybertruck, Tesla glass is just normal glass. Why did they have so much trouble breaking it.

Maybe they knew she was a billionaire? :shrug:

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
I would say this is yet another reason to resuscitate an older car but they're probably already tracking us through our phones anyway whether or not we've given express consent to monitoring :shrug:

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Breaking car windows is very hard on most cars, I got one of those kits that has a window breaker and seat belt cutter because that poo poo is scary

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

coupedeville posted:

I would say this is yet another reason to resuscitate an older car but they're probably already tracking us through our phones anyway whether or not we've given express consent to monitoring :shrug:

How the gently caress does google know traffic conditions?
Are they using the GPS in everyone's phone to figure out that yeah, all these phones are travelling at X mph on roadway therefore traffic = good or bad?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

wesleywillis posted:

Are they using the GPS in everyone's phone to figure out that yeah, all these phones are travelling at X mph on roadway therefore traffic = good or bad?

Yes, when you have the gmaps app open it's sending that info.

https://blog.google/products/maps/google-maps-101-how-ai-helps-predict-traffic-and-determine-routes/ posted:

When people navigate with Google Maps, aggregate location data can be used to understand traffic conditions on roads all over the world.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

wrong thread

Cactus Ghost posted:

dick enlargement is definitely car stuff. both wrong thread

:hmmyes:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Large Testicles posted:

wrong thread

:emptyquote:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

wesleywillis posted:

Yes, this is why all the great secret shortcuts that existed 10 years ago are now just as busy as the freeways.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

wesleywillis posted:

Yep, and it's a method of how some Russian armor units were tracked during the early weeks of the Ukraine war. You could easily tell where convoys were.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Some people even make fake traffic jams to avoid having people routed through their area

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Uthor posted:

The phone-based tracker doesn't have to be installed on your phone, but A phone that you can choose to bring with you, or leave home as you wish. :ssh:

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

NoWake posted:

The phone-based tracker doesn't have to be installed on your phone, but A phone that you can choose to bring with you, or leave home as you wish. :ssh:

i'm imagining somehow signing up your enemy to that tracker and attaching a phone to a greyhound set loose on the plains

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Large Testicles posted:

i'm imagining somehow signing up your enemy to that tracker and attaching a phone to a greyhound set loose on the plains

They would figure the car crashed after doing 40 mph donuts for 5 minutes and then not moving for 5+ hours

(greyhound owner)

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

david_a posted:

They would figure the car crashed after doing 40 mph donuts for 5 minutes and then not moving for 5+ hours

(greyhound owner)

sounds like my plan would work

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Introducing Saab's newest car: Youre Mom

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Wow, how'd you know? We haven't told anyone yet

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

coupedeville posted:

Lot easier to turn off a phone.

wesleywillis posted:

Yep. Especially if you're using the nav app (Google Maps or Waze.)

Nitrox posted:

Wow, how'd you know? We haven't told anyone yet

Congratulations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Could you install the app on an old phone that you just keep at your house?