Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

That's mère

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Is Morphine even tucked on this runway?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

...well that was unexpected

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Did they really run out of their budget that they had to license Meghan Trainor for the lip sync?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Sapphira made me audibly gasp when she walked out on that runway

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

gandlethorpe posted:

Sapphira made me audibly gasp when she walked out on that runway

I think back to all the various people "HOW DID YOU PACK THIS???" as if Drag Race has a luggage limit anymore.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
The gall to have a Meghan Trainor lipsync for an episode that was based on doing a funk number is astounding. The last few lipsync songs have been pretty terrible and I don’t know what production is thinking. I don’t know if this week or last week’s was worse.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I enjoy Imbibing With Friends when I watch Drag Race and I had laryngitis pretty much immediately after Valentines Day so I have only just seen the S16 Snatch game episode and I gotta coordinate watching UK with my friend who is both at Uni and 5+ hours ahead of my Walmart closing shift rear end.

This is to provide context for my next couple of posts catching up:

US 16 Snatch Game: I could feel the edit on this one, but ultimately I don't think anything terrible happened. Nymphia flopped hardcore but she's on the fast track to the top 4 so she was never going home, which means the "missed opportunity for an easy high safe" Gold Tooth Fairy (literally just do ratchet tooth fairy jokes and Ru will laugh so hard they have to pause recording) and the "confused but she's got the spirit" Bad Impersonation are gonna lipsync. Plane absolutely won, Plasma did really good but played it way too safe, Q continues to be underrated on set, and Dawn's one confessional where she throws shade at Luxx and then regrets it so immediately that there isn't even punctuation between the shade and the retraction was hilarious. The guest judge got 15 seconds of screentime where she said "im so excited to be here! drag is good!" and "this queen sucked but she was really pretty" so she was standard "my agent booked me for drag race" fare and therefore completely ignorable. A good episode in general, hooray!

Normy posted:

Snatch game would be better if they all got a coaching session instead of the usual workroom visit. Let them workshop the characters with somebody who knows what they're doing.
God, please? the completely hopeless at comedy queens could still bomb but it would at least make the ones who just need help do better. Snatch Game is the hardest episode to rewatch consistently and it's because the bombs bomb so loving hard.

Andrew_1985 posted:

I also assume because Dawn was doing a real-life person who is from a litigious group of jerks, they avoided showing much of her to avoid lawsuits.

I did clock that most footage of Dawn during the actual challenge was interstitial "we need filler footage" clips of her like, having a flag in her tits. Probably why she was Safe, too. No usable footage = no way to critique.

Pinwiz11 posted:

Jinkx playing Mama Morton on Broadway? That's cool.

gently caress the rest of your post Jinkx got renewed for that and I think my sister is gonna go see her doing that and she asked if I want to come along. I'm gonna go see a loving Broadway show for the first time after a decade and a half of local high school theater (I'm still upset that I didn't keep the program for the Addams Family production, because Morticia had what it takes to bust into the mainstream), and it's one of my role models to boot.

Context EDIT: That Morticia got the only mid-show standing ovation I've ever seen here for how hard she killed "Death is just around the corner."
My high school's first production under the current Theater teacher's tutelage was Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, and it's become a tradition to grant the eponymous coat from that show to someone on closing night. A cast member who went above and beyond, a backstage crew member who saved the show, someone like that. I remember a friend of mine getting it in 2012 and sobbing onstage because she was so happy.
Morticia got the Dreamcoat. She was that good.

curiousTerminal fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 9, 2024

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Hahaha, Plane Jane looked so pressed when everyone was leaving to the back and it was her, Sapphira, and Morphine. I loved watching her sweat!

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

excellent joke to have the queen of mayonnaise funk as the lipsync track for this particular episode. every season drag race gets increasingly sanitized for heteronormative liberal consumption which is entirely on-brand considering the platforming of queer artists and the telling of queer stories but also the fracking, the dropshipping, “one vote is more powerful than any social media post”, et al. a meghan trainor lipsync is an excellent encapsulation of that ethos

always nice to see jamal though :unsmith:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

panko posted:

excellent joke to have the queen of mayonnaise funk as the lipsync track for this particular episode. every season drag race gets increasingly sanitized for heteronormative liberal consumption which is entirely on-brand considering the platforming of queer artists and the telling of queer stories but also the fracking, the dropshipping, “one vote is more powerful than any social media post”, et al. a meghan trainor lipsync is an excellent encapsulation of that ethos

always nice to see jamal though :unsmith:

That reminds me of the AVclub's interview with Eliot Glazer about why he hates Meghan Trainor

https://www.avclub.com/eliot-glazer-on-why-lowbrow-dum-dum-meghan-trainor-s-1798261390

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lmao at the troll of making Plane use her immunity on a no one goes home episode

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It was a weird choice of lipsync song to follow a funk-focused challenge but I kinda really liked it? I haven’t listened to Trainor since Bass was a hit but it had a kind of Lily Allen/Mika vibe, almost like a song from Six or something. Not the most obvious choice but I like it when the songs are tightly written and give the queens more to do than just shablam all over the place.

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting
I got myself a cameo from Mirage for my birthday and she is just the cutest!

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Bookish posted:

I got myself a cameo from Mirage for my birthday and she is just the cutest!

I love getting cameos from queens as a little treat for myself or my wife it's just such a lovely little way to pay someone you like for a service from a long way away

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
God the yseult lip sync in drag race france season 1 is probably the worst one in drag race. Why would you pick that as a lip sync song?

It was like they were up there pulling out their fingernails on stage.

Poor Lolita.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 11, 2024

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting
Solid Pink Disco in Detroit was a blast last night! Trixie looked amazing and it was so much fun!

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Nihonniboku posted:

That reminds me of the AVclub's interview with Eliot Glazer about why he hates Meghan Trainor

https://www.avclub.com/eliot-glazer-on-why-lowbrow-dum-dum-meghan-trainor-s-1798261390

Holy poo poo that article just doesn't end. Draaaag her.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

https://ew.com/rupaul-leaving-drag-race-down-under-michelle-visage-8606508

RuPaul's right-hand woman is taking center stage on RuPaul's Drag Race Down Under.

EW can exclusively reveal that Michelle Visage — Mama Ru's longtime best friend and RuPaul's Drag Race panelist — will take over for RuPaul as the host of the upcoming Drag Race Down Under season 4.

Regular judge Rhys Nicholson will remain on the panel, with additional seats being occupied by a rotating roster of Down Under queens throughout the season in addition to regular celebrity guest judges.

“It has been my great honor to bring Drag Race to Australasia. I can’t wait to see the franchise continue to flourish under the leadership of the incredible Michelle Visage," RuPaul — who will remain on board as a Down Under executive producer — tells EW in a statement, while Visage adds: "Thank you, RuPaul, for entrusting me with one of your beloved shows. The color, humor, and outrageousness of Down Under drag holds a special place in my heart. I'm ready to do everything in my power to encourage these beautiful queens to believe in themselves and let their inner light shine through."

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
RuPaul releasing Michelle in Australia like Bart’s frog.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Sapphira is definitely the winner unless they do something really weird in the last few episodes. Nymphia does not have a winner's edit despite doing incredibly well for a foreign queen. I have no idea what Mhia's deal is where she's like constantly dragging on the ocean floor but has an insane ego because she's still on the show?

jimmydalad posted:

The gall to have a Meghan Trainor lipsync for an episode that was based on doing a funk number is astounding. The last few lipsync songs have been pretty terrible and I don’t know what production is thinking. I don’t know if this week or last week’s was worse.

I'm just assuming all production weirdness is due to being filmed around/during(?) the writer's strike? It explains why the Rusical is good because they didn't have writers and instead a real director just pitched in the script and songs for it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Eej posted:

I'm just assuming all production weirdness is due to being filmed around/during(?) the writer's strike? It explains why the Rusical is good because they didn't have writers and instead a real director just pitched in the script and songs for it.

I highly doubt they have writers in the Writer's Guild writing sketches for the show

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Oh they did Lolita Banana dirty on Drag Race France. But she knew and went out like a champion. There was no way they were letting her get close to the crown.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Eej posted:

I have no idea what Mhia's deal is where she's like constantly dragging on the ocean floor but has an insane ego because she's still on the show?

I immediately recognised what she's doing where you realise you're in way over your pay grade but you can't back out graciously without looking like an idiot so you just start acting like an rear end in a top hat so they have a reason to fire you that isn't "was not qualified for this job"

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I think the song from last week's episode was actually kind of good? I've had it stuck in my head all week. Maybe the best Ru song since season 12's "I'm that bitch"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2sGNUBUVv4

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV85iwV6rO4

It's amazing how much the production quality has stepped up even in just 4 seasons, maybe due to all the Emmys its winning now, or the move to MTV?

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 12, 2024

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I immediately recognised what she's doing where you realise you're in way over your pay grade but you can't back out graciously without looking like an idiot so you just start acting like an rear end in a top hat so they have a reason to fire you that isn't "was not qualified for this job"

That's... a thing?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Eej posted:

That's... a thing?

Better to go down swinging (even if it's false bravado) like M'hiya, than to just kind of shrug around like gothy kendoll :shrug:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Comparison doesn't make any sense. The judges are the ones who can "fire" her, and she's not popping off at them.

But honestly, I'm not complaining that she's still around. It's kind of refreshing that the other contestants can't feel comfortable that their track record will save them.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I know france and Espana are good. Thailand is also great. How are drag race Belgium and Phillipines?

Drag den is incredibly manic and I'm here for it. Those girls had fun.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

gandlethorpe posted:

Comparison doesn't make any sense. The judges are the ones who can "fire" her, and she's not popping off at them.

But honestly, I'm not complaining that she's still around. It's kind of refreshing that the other contestants can't feel comfortable that their track record will save them.

Don't worry, I'm complaining enough for both of us.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

G-Mawwwwwww posted:

I know france and Espana are good. Thailand is also great. How are drag race Belgium and Phillipines?

Drag den is incredibly manic and I'm here for it. Those girls had fun.

Philippines rivals Thailand and France for having extremely talented queens. Like, on another level. Watch for sure.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Pan Dulce posted:

Philippines rivals Thailand and France for having extremely talented queens. Like, on another level. Watch for sure.

Then it's up next. I'm excited to see what jiggly can do with a team. One of my favorite things about the international drag seasons is watching what the queens wear as judges.

Nicky Doll was a blip on drag race but she does really interesting structural dresses and wild wigs. Manila is playful and conceptual. Valentina is thought provoking in terms of silhouettes. And lolita...bless her heart.

The other fun thing is realizing I don't know poo poo about some of these cultures. Mexico I knew a lot of but France and drag den was a look into something I had no clue about.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Friday's preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIyk1eGlmE0

I love games like that later in the season :munch:

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
Plane losing her composure.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Holy poo poo drag race Phillipines is VICIOUS. Watching season 1 and Mamwa Pao is absolutely brutal. Episode 3 they have the girls rank each other as queens in general as a mini challenge.

Ooooooof.

Oh my god. One of the lip syncs is just to glamazon.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 15, 2024

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Yeah, the Phillippines don't play, they go hardcore. It's like that every season. It's brilliant.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

:tviv: Nymphia

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Wow, the edit made it seem like Jane and Q were the only two in the top, and with Q's story about her HIV status made me think she had the win. Turns out, just safe!

Edit:

What an awkward and shady lip sync. loving finally. Mhiya way overstayed her welcome. She would have been 2nd out in an early season, she got lucky by landing in the bottom against queens who couldn't dance, and her only move was flipping.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 16, 2024

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

About the queen who was eliminated I was talking with my wife about that, and she said the same thing- she should have been out extremely early. She's bombed almost every challenge and just isn't cut out to be this far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Kagon posted:

About the queen who was eliminated I was talking with my wife about that, and she said the same thing- she should have been out extremely early. She's bombed almost every challenge and just isn't cut out to be this far.

The good news is that maybe she'll get some money through bookings for simply being in the top half of the cast of the season. But I don't see anything like Nymphia Wind who was at Shakers in DC a few weeks ago, and the place had a line over 2 blocks long just to see her in a city where lines for bars are normally not a thing.