Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I need someone to explain to me the mechanics of how a one-pedal car is supposed to function in the most fundamental way, because it sounds absolutely pants-on-head stupid to me from how it is described right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

All input is error

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

bird with big dick posted:

Uh, what do you mean by “pushing the pedal up to brake” like do you think with one pedal you have to put your foot underneath the pedal and push it up with the top of your foot?

I’ve been really confused by this discussion yeah. Do you like hook your toe under the pedal in the Tesla system? I haven’t heard about this before. Or is it like other electric cars and the car just slows automatically (recovering power) when you take your foot off the gas?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't even care about the other poo poo but software-bolding a loving Gothic typeface, thus making the thin strokes thicker really smothers my brothers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Samovar posted:

I need someone to explain to me the mechanics of how a one-pedal car is supposed to function in the most fundamental way, because it sounds absolutely pants-on-head stupid to me from how it is described right now.

There’s just a lot of drag when you lift off the accelerator.

When you’re travelling over country roads or in light traffic, you can slow by lifting your foot a little.

And yeah if you’ve ever driven a manual transmission or even just forced an automatic into 1/2, it’s like that.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Maybe it's something hyperstupid like a bicycle style toe clip or the car equivalent to a progressive trigger on a gun - press it to different levels to select what you want the car to do

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rocker pedal. Press with the heel to brake and - ultimately - go backwards, press with the toes to accelerate and go forwards. I used to drive a vehicle like that at work a lot and then almost ran my brother over with a 1986 Opel Ascona 1.8 GLS Exclusive Automatic because I tried to back it out of the parking spot by just slamming my heel on the accelerator.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

It's impossible to operate, just point it at the nearest body of water and pray for a soft landing.

when you lift off the gas pedal fully, the car uses the electric motor(s) to charge the battery, modern EVs have pretty powerful motors, so this provides enough braking force for 99% of your driving needs, just by feathering the "gas" pedal, hence "one pedal driving". It's also good for range and economy because it converts your momentum back into energy instead of dissipating it as heat. The brake pedal exists and remains fully functional and available for use, most EVs require you to press it to remain stationary at, say, a red light.

Every car can turn off one-pedal, at least down to the level a regular, automatic car would slow down with the foot off the gas, in my car it's just a button near the shift buttons, on a Tesla you have to dig through menus, but Tesla also has a few more options for how aggressive the braking is when you let off the pedal, compared to other EVs.

Some people love it, some don't. I use one-pedal mode all the time, I just find it intuitive and nice to use. My fiance didn't like it and only turned it on in traffic on the freeway, because it's really nice for smoothly adjusting your speed constantly. That's why you can turn it on and off.

I think some people try to like intellectually break the whole process down and get super confused, but really you just get in the car and drive it like normal. Whatever the Saddest Rhino was talking about with lifting the pedal was either poorly phrased or poorly understood, you don't lift up on the pedal, it's just like a normal gas pedal.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Yes, but what if I want to shift using touchscreen while playing DOOM in my Tesla?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It will always been the Model Twitter to me.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

gay picnic defence posted:

Maybe it's something hyperstupid like a bicycle style toe clip or the car equivalent to a progressive trigger on a gun - press it to different levels to select what you want the car to do

It's a double action. Press the gas pedal to go and then press it really hard to brake.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bogus Adventure posted:

Yes, but what if I want to shift using touchscreen while playing DOOM in my Tesla?

You won't care
en into light traffic, killing dozens.

e: I have received information that you will, actually.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The car rolls onto its side if you don’t unclip at the stoplight.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Samovar posted:

You won't care

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Elviscat posted:

when you lift off the gas pedal fully, the car uses the electric motor(s) to charge the battery, modern EVs have pretty powerful motors, so this provides enough braking force for 99% of your driving needs, just by feathering the "gas" pedal, hence "one pedal driving". It's also good for range and economy because it converts your momentum back into energy instead of dissipating it as heat. The brake pedal exists and remains fully functional and available for use, most EVs require you to press it to remain stationary at, say, a red light.

Thank you. That last bit specifically wasn't clear to me, but now I have a better understanding of it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
in order to brake the tesla you accelerate faster so that the sudden stop comes sooner

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Alan Smithee posted:

in order to brake the tesla you accelerate faster so that the sudden stop comes sooner

genius engineering mr. musk

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

It should be a good week for Elon, SpaceX is gearing up to launch another 8,800,000 lb firework/data gathering attempt Thursday.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Elviscat posted:

It should be a good week for Elon, SpaceX is gearing up to launch another 8,800,000 lb firework/data gathering attempt Thursday.

I really want one to just explode on the pad, early space race-style

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
I'd love it if he tries to tow one with a cybrrrtrcukkk to show off and they both break.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Rad Russian posted:

The dumb Tesla exclusive stuff is in the Cybertruck which is the first production car with no mechanical backup for its steer-by-wire/brake-by-wire systems. The recent story of the Elon-stan that almost killed his wife and toddler when steering and brakes failed in his Cybertruck is the primary example of why everyone else has a mechanical backup. Elon though thinks that's an unnecessary extra cost and when Tesla OS randomly decides to reboot on the highway it's fine if that kills your steering and brakes.

Isn't there only one CAN network as well?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

redshirt posted:

Where we're going we won't need break (pads)s

a tesla does cannot break

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

I really want one to just explode on the pad, early space race-style
I want one to fall over just before it launches but they can't stop the launch, and it takes 2 minutes to tell it to self-destruct.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

steinrokkan posted:

You won't care

But you will

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Samovar posted:

When you lift up the throttle, the car starts slowing down as if you were lightly braking. It's not actually using the brakes, but charging the car and I guess through the friction used to charge, it slows down the car kind of like engine braking.

It can be strong enough to bring you to a full stop, but that level of braking is configurable in software. So technically, you don't need to press the brake pedal to stop if you time it right, thus one pedal driving. It doesn't mean there actually is only one pedal. Brakes are of course still available on their own pedal if you need more forceful braking.

It sounds weird, but I've used it and it actually works well and you get used to it pretty quickly. Most EVs have a similar feature as it improves efficiency. Once you get the hang of it, it makes for an actually super smooth driving experience.

Edit: I guess an other way to put it: instead of the throttle being additive of power like in a gas car, think of it like a dimmer switch. The amount of pressure on it dictates how fast you are going, and letting off pressure from 50% to 25% will slow you down slightly. And if you don't touch the throttle at all, there is no power and the car stops. I hope this makes sense lol

Gros Tarla fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 11, 2024

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Wasn't the whole thing that the tesla was also supposed to automagically know if you want to be in reverse or drive? I could swear i remember the touchscreen gear selection being the more stable backup option to whatever was supposed to be primary

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

loving hell. I really wish there were some regulations or at least ISO suggestions that various controls on a car be done with something that has tactile feedback. Having to control things with a touchscreen that doesn't provide any feedback is awful design.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Yeah that is not at all what I imagined when people said «one pedal driving» - that sounded like the gas and all braking functions were on a single pedal with no other pedal functioning

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

DeeplyConcerned posted:

It's a double action. Press the gas pedal to go and then press it really hard to brake.

Musk thinks double actions are woke because some of them have decockers.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I just jump through my windscreen and use my corpulent body as a speedbump to stop it

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
elon probably has suggested removing the brake pedal (the car should know when to brake by itself)

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

ymgve posted:

Yeah that is not at all what I imagined when people said «one pedal driving» - that sounded like the gas and all braking functions were on a single pedal with no other pedal functioning

Right, it's an additional way to brake, not a replacement. That's the main difference with gas cars in that regard: gas cars will roll if they are into gear and you aren't touching any pedals. EVs default state in that situation is to stop.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Just imagine 1 pedal driving as a car with heavy engine braking. The brake pedal still works, you just need it less.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

thathonkey posted:

elon probably has suggested removing the brake pedal (the car should know when to brake by itself)

Indeed, why is the wheel even necessary, just let the AI decide where you should go and let it take you there.

(The Ai thinks you should go into the nearest pond.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dr_rat posted:

Indeed, why is the wheel even necessary

Well, there's no steering wheel.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Musk is doing a lot of race baiting right now. Fight videos, Haiti, immigrants. A lot of it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dirk the Average posted:

loving hell. I really wish there were some regulations or at least ISO suggestions that various controls on a car be done with something that has tactile feedback. Having to control things with a touchscreen that doesn't provide any feedback is awful design.

Good news!

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
how are they going to open source their chatgpt subscription?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

kazil posted:

Musk is doing a lot of race baiting right now.

lol, "right now"