Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

a sexual elk posted:

Ran out of Shogun so threw on Last Samurai, wife claims she’s never seen it but it’s one of my favorite movies so she’d had to have seen it at some point early on

Converging movie chat and creepy guys you shouldn't date chat: before we met, my wife was kind of into this guy she was working with until she expressed interest in Last Samurai and he responded with "I never got that whole "other cultures" thing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Quiet Feet posted:

Converging movie chat and creepy guys you shouldn't date chat: before we met, my wife was kind of into this guy she was working with until she expressed interest in Last Samurai and he responded with "I never got that whole "other cultures" thing."

Haha wow

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I think I have a cat stuck in my crawlspace and NO that’s not a euphemism.

Last night I kept hearing this slamming noise like a door slamming, thought maybe it was the crawlspace door so went and checked it out. It wasn’t latched so figured that’s what it was and latched it.

Only this morning I’ve heard it again. And this time it came with a cat yowling. I’ve heard that over the past few days and figured it was the neighbors cats (she has like seven) in heat so didn’t think much of it. Except this time I could swear I heard it coming through a vent in the floor.

I went down and checked around and didn’t see or hear anything, messed with the HVAC and still nothing.

My conclusion is that I have ghost cats

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I'm pretty sure the neighborhood cats run across my roof at night and early morning. I was worried it was roof rats, but there's no droppings in the attic from what I can see. And the footsteps are also heavier and less scratchy than a rat's would be.

Still kinda baffling though.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The Last Samurai rules. Great movie. Tom Cruise, samurai, US Civil War, fantastic archery....whats not to love?!

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I first heard of Tom Cruise as a 7-8 year old, watching Far and Away on cable TV with my mother. I remember being blown away by how brutal the bareknuckle fight scenes were, my mom was awesome for letting me watch it. I am now almost 40, and just watched Tom Cruise in MI: Dead Reckoning.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I know one of you terminally angry online politics dudes is gonna try to talk about Scientology, and I don't care...I don't care at all!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Pron on VHS posted:

I know one of you terminally angry online politics dudes is gonna try to talk about Scientology, and I don't care...I don't care at all!

Nah. Scientology sucks but Tom Cruise kinda rules.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I first knew about Tom Cruise when I was like a month old and he watched me for 45 minutes while my mom did some work with the producers of All The Right Moves which was shot in my hometown and my mom worked as some kind of liason. She was also bff's with Lea Thompson while she was there.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

She was also bff's with Lea Thompson while she was there.

I had the biggest crush on her when I was little because my parents apparently thought Howard the Duck was a kids movie.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

LeeMajors posted:

Nah. Scientology sucks but Tom Cruise kinda rules.

I would be brainwashed if Tom Cruise spoke to me for long enough.

Some of my favorite Cruise movies, in a very rough order:

A Few Good Men (I've loved this movie since a teen, even though it is prime Sorkin..... Cruise, Demi, Jack all at their peak powers, who can defeat this?)
The Last Samurai
Mission Impossible 1 (as a teen I owned a novelization of the movie, and read it all the time. Yes, someone wrote a novel that covered every scene in the movie, I didn't know there was an industry for this but I loved reading it)
Far and Away (Manifest Destiny is actually good)

Valkryie, Collateral, The Firm, and MI Fallout honorable mentions

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Never does an accent, only non-limey guy in Valkryie which was great

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
He crushed the poo poo out of his role in Tropic Thunder

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

A Few Good Men is so good, even with all the flag humping poo poo from Demi Moore’s character.

Cruise is an interesting guy—the movie star who is just Tom Cruise in everything but is also just a good actor. Chooses a lot of weird roles. I liked Vanilla Sky a lot when I was younger and more pretentious. I thought he was pretty great in War of the Worlds too.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
First Tom Cruise movie I saw was Top Gun. There was a F-14 mobile at my hometown library where they also had a novelization of the movie, and I eventually was given the mobile because I begged for it for an entire summer.

Also as a reminder:
https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1756135894220706076?s=46&t=crshEc6ZJO1zh40ZDAIfPQ

Meanwhile I'm watching Jodoworsky's Dune while having my morning coffee and thinking of how Cruise working with Stanley Kubrick was probably the last time he was really tested as an actor by an accomplished director.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Tom Cruise is an absolute wild man of an actor. Hard not to respect him for his insane committment

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

LeeMajors posted:

A Few Good Men is so good, even with all the flag humping poo poo from Demi Moore’s character.

Cruise is an interesting guy—the movie star who is just Tom Cruise in everything but is also just a good actor. Chooses a lot of weird roles. I liked Vanilla Sky a lot when I was younger and more pretentious. I thought he was pretty great in War of the Worlds too.

Demi Moore in A Few Good Men is one of my all time favorite characters. I love her dearly. Such a person wouldn't exist in real life alas

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Pron on VHS posted:

Demi Moore in A Few Good Men is one of my all time favorite characters. I love her dearly. Such a person wouldn't exist in real life alas

Oh she’s excellent I’m just sour on patriotism as a concept.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

one time i put The Firm on HBO Max to fall asleep to because i assumed it was a relatively sedate legal thriller and i did manage to fall asleep during it but i was half-woken up a few times by loud explosions

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Realizing I've never actually watched Rain Man just like dozens upon dozens of parodies and references to it.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Pron on VHS posted:

I first heard of Tom Cruise as a 7-8 year old, watching Far and Away on cable TV with my mother. I remember being blown away by how brutal the bareknuckle fight scenes were, my mom was awesome for letting me watch it. I am now almost 40, and just watched Tom Cruise in MI: Dead Reckoning.

I too have memories of watching Far and Away with my mom and 100% agree. That and I think I also first saw him in Top Gun because my dad was in the navy and likes to watch anything navy-related.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

Oh she’s excellent I’m just sour on patriotism as a concept.

Yeah, which is also why Jack Nicholson is so good in it too, especially with the infamous speech/scene that is 100% America accurate.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I have met Tom Cruise twice and he could not be nicer. He's nice to everyone except the prisoners in his compound. It's hard to mentally digest this feeling that I love him as an actor, a professional and how he's just super good to everyone from studio heads down to the productions assistants who are used to getting poo poo on by everybody.

And then knowing he has his own special Thetan level in the cult.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

I think I have a cat stuck in my crawlspace and NO that’s not a euphemism.

Our smallest cat loves to squeeze into the gap between our head board and mattress/box spring and hang out down there. The other night the 18 pound one thought he’d give it a try, and I rolled over and laughed at his upside-down struggle to free himself with his chunky butt sticking out and his back legs kicking around uselessly. I eventually had to grab him by both feet and yank him out :laugh:

Dango Bango posted:

I'm pretty sure the neighborhood cats run across my roof at night and early morning. I was worried it was roof rats, but there's no droppings in the attic from what I can see. And the footsteps are also heavier and less scratchy than a rat's would be.

Still kinda baffling though.

Our work campus has a lot of manmade ponds and poo poo and it’s in the middle of an urban area, so there’s always lots of geese hanging around. Out work campus also has a flat roof, so when the geese are up there and get the zoomies, you can hear their webbed feet slapping around like some kinda Untitled Goose Game shenanigans :3:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Put food and water in that crawlspace. Sure you may find out you're feeding a possum but that's okay too

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

kiimo posted:

I have met Tom Cruise twice and he could not be nicer. He's nice to everyone except the prisoners in his compound. It's hard to mentally digest this feeling that I love him as an actor, a professional and how he's just super good to everyone from studio heads down to the productions assistants who are used to getting poo poo on by everybody.

And then knowing he has his own special Thetan level in the cult.

Yeah buncha friends met him in Lauderdale when he was doing his diving/breath holding training for Mission Impossible whichever, and dude was apparently incredible to everyone. Got them lunch everyday, send a thank you card to the dive boat captain, etc.

its truly baffling how someone who can come off like this is ultimately in such an evil cult.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

T-Square posted:

Our smallest cat loves to squeeze into the gap between our head board and mattress/box spring and hang out down there. The other night the 18 pound one thought he’d give it a try, and I rolled over and laughed at his upside-down struggle to free himself with his chunky butt sticking out and his back legs kicking around uselessly. I eventually had to grab him by both feet and yank him out :laugh:

Smh and didn’t take pics of his struggles?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Tom Cruise feels like one of the last great all around actors, I'm not sure who out there can come close to replacing him. Maybe Ryan Gosling? Dude does a lot of different stuff, and is apparently one of the hardest working guys in show biz. I just ignore the scientology stuff, which frankly I forgot about. Is Scientology still on the rise? Seems like it had a moment like 10 years ago where it was really getting called out, and seemed like things got quiet since then.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Bird in a Blender posted:

Tom Cruise feels like one of the last great all around actors, I'm not sure who out there can come close to replacing him. Maybe Ryan Gosling? Dude does a lot of different stuff, and is apparently one of the hardest working guys in show biz. I just ignore the scientology stuff, which frankly I forgot about. Is Scientology still on the rise? Seems like it had a moment like 10 years ago where it was really getting called out, and seemed like things got quiet since then.

Tom Cruise is distancing from the church and the church is not a big presence outside its region of influence.

Jeremy Renner has made a career of trying to be Tom Cruise. There's plenty of all-around actors, there just aren't many good all-around roles for them.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I would not characterize Cruise as a “great all around” actor lol

I think he’s outstanding at what he does but, with the exception of Tropic Thunder, he does *one* thing.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Remember when Jeremy Renner was cast in the Mission: Impossible movies as a possible replacement to Cruise?

Remember when Renner was cast as Matt Damon's replacement in the Bourne movies?

I did like Wind River.

I haven't seen Mauor of Kingstown yet.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

I believe he's the last true Movie Star, especially with his action work. The successor to Harrison Ford, and he doesn't really have a successor. There's plenty of other huge named A-listers but usually they're attached to a big director name or project as well. Cruise gets people out there to see a movie because he's in it. Will Smith is really the only other guy I think of and I think his age caught up to him a bit more.

I talk about it a lot in the action thread, but it's kind of frustrating that incredible training+nutrition for so many stars have kept their careers going forever, while there's very little opportunity for young people to make big names for themselves in the same way and start building a legend.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I think it is cool and good that numerous actors get opportunities instead of everything going to the same “star” actors.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I’m pretty sure Cruise is pretty involved with the church based on all the various media within the last year of him going to it while filming movies, but whatever.

The funniest thing about it all is that he got involved with the church due to Mimi Rogers, who then much later left the church and now hates it I think, while he’s basically the face of it.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 11, 2024

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
When Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes got divorced it went through almost immediately, it was extremely hush hush. It's almost as if the church was like "let's sweep this under the rug, give her a lucrative deal with an NDA so no one will pay attention to this" or something.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I don’t think Cruise is an incredibly deep actor, but he definitely does more than just one thing. A Few Good Men, Rain Man, and Jerry Maguire are not action movies.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I remember there being a lot of poo poo about The Last Samurai because Tom Cruise was heavily featured on the movie poster implying he was "The Last Samurai" but I always interpreted Ken Watanabe's character as the last, and it was more he was there to witness it.

Movie was great. It was heavily discussed by my classmates in my high school Japanese class. The big joke was about how "sumimasen" was translated into "excuse my weakness" which is definitely a weird localization.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I would not characterize Cruise as a “great all around” actor lol

I think he’s outstanding at what he does but, with the exception of Tropic Thunder, he does *one* thing.

Ok, all-around is too much. He does action and drama really well, he doesn't do musicals, and doesn't really do comedies. He kills the hell out of anything he does do though.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Tom Cruise has made most of his career off looking cool while running and being an on-set professional. He's not a bad actor but I think his cultural influence is being overstated.

I don't know if he's left the church. I know he's no longer the face of it. And honestly he's far from the only acting celebrity scientologist lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

trevorreznik posted:

I believe he's the last true Movie Star, especially with his action work. The successor to Harrison Ford, and he doesn't really have a successor. There's plenty of other huge named A-listers but usually they're attached to a big director name or project as well. Cruise gets people out there to see a movie because he's in it. Will Smith is really the only other guy I think of and I think his age caught up to him a bit more.

I talk about it a lot in the action thread, but it's kind of frustrating that incredible training+nutrition for so many stars have kept their careers going forever, while there's very little opportunity for young people to make big names for themselves in the same way and start building a legend.

Denzel as well. Denzel and Tom Cruise are my north stars. I am guided by their films, throughout my life.