Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Every generation needs their own Kevin Pitsnogle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Drake wins - I expect Indiana St. will get left out of the tournament for like Mississippi St. or some other middling P6 team now

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Hatters, bitch

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

ColdBlooded posted:

Drake wins - I expect Indiana St. will get left out of the tournament for like Mississippi St. or some other middling P6 team now

I really hope Indiana State gets in. I'm so tired of the committee always giving all the big conferences tons of entries and leaving smaller schools out.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Lol things are heating up between LSU and SC

edit: Haley Van Lith squaring up with a woman who is easily a foot taller than her was hilarious

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 10, 2024

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Entire bench for both teams plus Camila Cardoso got ejected

Flaujae Johnson’s brother jumped over the barrier and got arrested

They’re playing 5 on 5 for the last 2 minutes

This poo poo is nuts

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lmao now that's entertainment

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Lol and everyone who got ejected is out for the first round of the NCAA

So LSU wont have any subs for that game

edit: nope I was wrong ESPN lied to me

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 10, 2024

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Lady Wolfpack lost. :( But only by 4, so silver linings. drat, though, rooting for them hard.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

Lol and everyone who got ejected is out for the first round of the NCAA

So LSU wont have any subs for that game

edit: nope I was wrong ESPN lied to me

I think Cardoso is still out for the next game. I hope the ncaa will clarify all of this though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Please don't let us in the tournament I want to be free from this era of Michigan State basketball

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Insane pair of statements:

Juju Watkins just scored her 6th point halfway through the last quarter of the PAC-12 CCG against Stanford

USC is winning by 13.

edit: lol UConn didn’t allow a single point in the 4th quarter of their game that’s terrifying

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 10, 2024

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Bird in a Blender posted:

I think Cardoso is still out for the next game. I hope the ncaa will clarify all of this though.

I love that she came in hot and was gonna knock anybody down

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

ETSU-Chattanooga SoCon semifinal is going to overtime.

ETSU was down 14 in the 2nd half, but hit a layup with a one second left to go to OT.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
JMU breathing a lot easier

https://twitter.com/ncaabuzzerbters/status/1766979241118478500?s=46&t=2RtKUZF-7mtwaGnhOLp93A

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

ETSU in overtime, 85-84, to make the SoCon finals.

Chattanooga was the #3 seed and blew a 20-point 2nd half lead. Mocs missed two shots in the paint inside the last 5 seconds after ETSU scored in the post with 15 seconds left.

Finals are #1 Samford and #7 ETSU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Nebraska finishes 3rd in the Big 10 and their best tourney seed protection is on the 8/9 line :jerkbag:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Dango Bango posted:

Nebraska finishes 3rd in the Big 10 and their best tourney seed protection is on the 8/9 line :jerkbag:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see them higher. They’re 37 in NET, which puts them as a 5 seed based on those rankings. Big Ten is having a down year with only two teams ranked. Nebraska also has some losses to bad teams dragging them down too.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Nebraska winning the Big Ten Tournament wouldn’t surprise me.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Dango Bango posted:

Pitt finished 4th in the ACC, 43 in NET, has 0 quad 4 losses, and is in the next four out so quit whining

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
uconn

Huskies

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

ouch

https://x.com/bjrains/status/1767068506971914704?s=46

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
March 11

Nothing starting today, just two finals:

Sun Belt, 7pm: James Madison vs. Arkansas State.
JMU breathing a huge sigh of relief after Appalachian State got knocked off, as they’re 30-1 against everyone else on their schedule yet even that 30-win season doesn’t look likely to get them in as an at-large. Arkansas State is no slouch though; they had the best offense in the conference and they’ve only lost twice since the end of January—once to App State, once to JMU (at home, but only by 4).

Southern, also 7pm, seriously why do they do it this way: Samford vs. East Tennessee St.
Samford is a prohibitive favorite here and would be a horrible draw for any 4/5 seed; meanwhile ETSU is a 7-seed crashing the weak side of the Southern bracket. Samford won both meetings during the year but the Bucs were very pesky at their gym.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

wtf

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

oh one other game today for autobid implications:

the two best teams in the Summit, St. Thomas and South Dakota State, are playing a coin-flip semifinal tonight. But St. Thomas is ineligible for the NCAAs because of bureaucratic stupidity, so if they win then the nightcap between Denver and Omaha — two much worse teams, neither of whom has been to an NCAAT — becomes the de facto Summit final

(would also recommend San Francisco-Gonzaga, at least to see if someone can finally break the Zags in the WCC)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
gently caress St. Thomas because they beat my alma mater in the D3 championship my freshman year.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Henchman of Santa posted:

gently caress St. Thomas because they beat my alma mater in the D3 championship my freshman year.

they always seemed reasonably chill to me the year i taught nearby, at least as catholic unis go

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also St. Thomas Tommies is a loving stupid name.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also St. Thomas Tommies is a loving stupid name.

These Tommies don't even know what game it is. They don't know who Jesus Shuttleworth was or what playing is.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Who the hell let her go out there for a press conference after firing her?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Bird in a Blender posted:

Who the hell let her go out there for a press conference after firing her?

this happens sometimes but usually the coach just eats the pain, so they don't cause any bad optics for either themselves or the program

that said, you're right. gotta cancel the conference.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

lol AD dumb af. Just wait until after the press conference to fire her

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Gonna be way more bummed at Indiana State missing out than if Kansas nets a fifth seed.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Infuriating that UConn women are this good again take a few years off please

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

DC Murderverse posted:

Infuriating that UConn women are this good again take a few years off please

They aren’t though? They only have 7 players due to season ending injuries to 3 starters and a couple important bench players (Azzi Fudd, Aaliyah Edwards, Aubrey Griffin, Ayanna Patterson, Caroline Ducharme and Jana El Alfy). They literally have no shot at going deep in the tournament this year. Too undersized due to the injuries to their entire rotation of bigs (and Geno recruited well for the position in the past few years).

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I'd still like to see them worse

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Happy Anniversary

https://twitter.com/TDISportsClips/status/1767211227032273171

Looking at the box score is like opening the Ark of the Covenant

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore/_/gameId/310700275

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

JMU dancing for the first time since 2013, Arkansas State had nothing today after their efforts last night. The Dukes tend to win their first game in the NCAAs, the only time they didn't they took Florida to the limit as a 14 seed in 1993. (Fair enough in 2013 their "win" was a 16-seed play-in game; this year they should be a 12 or 13 with all the danger that entails.)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

ihatepants posted:

They aren’t though? They only have 7 players due to season ending injuries to 3 starters and a couple important bench players (Azzi Fudd, Aaliyah Edwards, Aubrey Griffin, Ayanna Patterson, Caroline Ducharme and Jana El Alfy). They literally have no shot at going deep in the tournament this year. Too undersized due to the injuries to their entire rotation of bigs (and Geno recruited well for the position in the past few years).

They’re a top 5 NET team (update: literally #2 even before almost doubling up Georgetown this evening) whose only losses this year are to top 15 teams on the road (and one at home to Notre Dame), they’re in the running for a 1 seed, they’re as likely as anyone to be the runner up with how this season has gone and they looked incredibly good during the bits I saw of their conference tournament games.

I do not want Iowa to play them. Them and USC are the two teams I don’t want to see on the opposite side of the bracket, and one of them is gonna be a 2 unless Texas loses.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Big day #1

March 12

The Metro Atlantic is honestly just bad, a real turd of a year for them and their winner is pretty locked into a 16-spot unless it’s Quinnipiac sneaking into the last 15 seed through upsets elsewhere. It’d be the Bobcats’ first ever bid, which pretty much wraps up the rooting interest for a neutral. Fairfield is very slightly better on paper, St. Peter’s and Marist can at least play a little defense, and that’s about it. Tournament is appropriately enough in America’s facade, Atlantic City.

Conference USA is basically unrecognizable after last season’s membership shuffle, getting raided by the American and raiding the ASUN and WAC in turn, but despite that stayed around their historical levels. Ex-WAC Sam Houston St. took the regular-season title but Louisiana Tech would be a greater threat to your bracket; the other interesting team is Western Kentucky—not that they’re particularly good, but they are the fastest tempo team in the country by a half-possession per game. All games in Huntsville, Alabama for some reason, really feels like someone dropped the ball there.

The Atlantic 10 is fascinating this year, this preliminary Tuesday can safely be skipped but after that point the conference has 8 teams between the 80-105 KP range, with Dayton the one higher-end and at-large safe outlier. The Flyers have an elite offense; Richmond and Loyola Chicago have very good defenses; everyone from the quarterfinals on is capable of holding their own in a first-round game. This one stands to get messy and fun real quick, a real CBB sicko’s special even down to all the game being in Brooklyn.

After a promising enough start it ended up another dud year for the nearly dead-in-the-water ACC; the only thing propping them up is that only Louisville ended up being nearly as bad as they looked early on, and even they showed signs of improvement. At the top, incredibly tediously, are UNC and Duke, but that’s a clear 1 and 2 and it’s hard to tell even how good the Tarheels are because this conference just isn’t set up to challenge good teams. Feels like it might be set up for a Clemson or Wake Forest run, even if they have to play an extra game to get there. Short of an autobid thief this conference absolutely does not deserve more than 3 bids. All games in the Capital One Arena in DC which, fine, whatever, it’s not like they pretend to have any connections to conference history anymore beyond reliving Duke-UNC one last time.

The Big XII is once again swinging the biggest dick this year, and they stand to get at least 8 bids, probably 9; even as play-in teams Cincinnati and Central Florida would do just fine in the NCAAT bracket. The flip side of that is the conference is such a bloodbath (with the tourney likely to be the same) that you wonder if any of these teams will have enough left to make a real run at a natty—I’m sure Houston would love a conference title but maybe not too disappointed if an early exit lets them heal up and start planning for their 1 seed. And as always there’s the lingering question of if Kansas does their usual blitz through the field but it seems like their hold may be weakening. All games in Kansas City.

Finals:
Northeast, 7pm: Merrimack vs. Wagner
Merrimack is the NEC’s only remotely threatening team (even if it’s all on the defensive side) and karma owes them one after the NCAA’s dumb ineligibility rules meant they couldn’t cash in on winning the tourney last year. Wagner would potentially be the worst team in the field.

Horizon, 7 pm: Oakland vs. Milwaukee
Oakland is the 1 seed and has a pretty straightforward task against a Milwaukee team that can’t play defense. Oakland won both regular season meetings though the away leg took them 2OT to sort out.

Coastal, 7 pm: Charleston vs. Stony Brook
Top seed CofC got to sit back while Stony Brook cleared the board for them, taking out the 2 and 3 seeds. Cougars a decently big favorite now but Stony Brook may be on one of those kinds of runs.

Summit, 7 pm: South Dakota St. vs. Denver
The conference dodged one bullet yesterday with SD State taking out the bureaucratically ineligible St. Thomas; now they’d probably like to dodge sending Denver as their rep—though it would be the Pioneers’ first ever bid, spanning years as a founding member of the Skyline Conference and an independent before dropping down all the way to NAIA and building back up through D2. The two teams traded blowout wins in the regular season.

West Coast, 9 pm: Gonzaga vs. St. Mary’s
These two yet again, with nothing at stake beyond pride (and avoiding injuries). Maybe the best chance in a while for St. Mary’s to take one of these back. They split the regular season games, each winning on the other’s home court; the Zags’ win denied the Gaels a perfect conference season.