Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

BastardySkull posted:

There are non-fishlike Navigators, they're in the books and I assume the spice-helmet dudes in Part 1 are that type. The other helmeted guys shown on screen appear when they say "members of the Imperial Court", so it's weird they got rid of that kind of look for the Emperor's retinue in Part 2.

I don't think so - Thought specifically calculated the costs for "3 Guild Navigators" and there's more than 3 of the astronaut dudes, so I reckon they're just Guild reps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Really enjoyed this film. It's been a good while since I read the books, and given how off the wall they get, I had assumed we'd never get any of the following adapted. I was pleasantly surprised to see lots of the plot seeing the themes and general plot of Dune Messiah.

For those disappointed in the time gap for plausibility reasons, I'm mostly disappointed because toddler Aria dancing with a knife as corpses burn behind her is one of the standout images I remember from the 80s film. My brother is coming Baron.

But speaking to the foetus was equally as weird, so I'll let it slide.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I did like how they give Chani more agency in this film, and made her more or less responsible for teaching Paul the way of the Freman. It almost felt like they were afraid not to - as even the scene where her tear saves Paul from the Water of Life, 'as foretold' has Chani being manipulated by Jessica's Voice, rather than something she initiated on her own.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Why wouldn't the info Leto is given in Part 1 be accurate? Duncan had embedded himself among them and won their trust, and presumably learned a lot about them, at least a roughly accurate estimate of their population. Plus Thufir Hawat's spies corroborated what he learned iirc. The whole point is that the Harkonnens never bothered to look into it.

The running theme of the first part is that Leto Atreides is wrong about a bunch of poo poo. With the Fremen Duncan has been to one sietch that he estimated at about 10,000 people and he heard there were thousands of them. It's pretty definitive in Part 2 that the sietch he went to was quite a bit smaller than 10,000 people, and there sure as poo poo are not thousands of them in the northern hemisphere.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Isometric Bacon posted:

I did like how they give Chani more agency in this film, and made her more or less responsible for teaching Paul the way of the Freman. It almost felt like they were afraid not to - as even the scene where her tear saves Paul from the Water of Life, 'as foretold' has Chani being manipulated by Jessica's Voice, rather than something she initiated on her own.

Because she didn't believe he was the chosen one who was destined to succeed, but just some dumb foreign dude who seemed nice, she taught him everything he needed to know to survive and ultimately pass all the tests to prove to everyone else that he was the messiah.

If she believed in him and just let the savior do his thing because what help does the messiah need... a worm eats him because he was actually walking wrong the whole previous movie lol

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Apparently Alicia Witt as Alia in Lynch’s Dune had a super Boston accent as a kid, probably one of the many reasons for her being dubbed over.

It makes me laugh though to think about the Emperor and Baron being absolutely confused by her saying “My bruddah is coming!”

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

jeeves posted:

Apparently Alicia Witt as Alia in Lynch’s Dune had a super Boston accent as a kid, probably one of the many reasons for her being dubbed over.

It makes me laugh though to think about the Emperor and Baron being absolutely confused by her saying “My bruddah is coming!”

"Why does this baby keep shouting '28 ta 3, bitch!' and stabbing people?"

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
“Mommy, my bruddah dwank da waddah of life!”

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
What was the point of Margot Fenring getting pregnant from Feyd-Rautha? Setting up a new movie?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
backup messiah

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Abomination? Nah, she's just a Southie, Sietch Dawwchestah.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't think she or the baby are even mentioned again in the main books.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
bostoners should be dubbed over more often

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

kanonvandekempen posted:

What was the point of Margot Fenring getting pregnant from Feyd-Rautha? Setting up a new movie?

It's to raise the status of Feyd as a villain from a narrative persepective, to put him on equal footing with Paul by saying he's also a HK candidate.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Seemlar posted:

That's right - the thing that pushed Paul to take the Water in the book was Gurney coming very close to killing Jessica, which caught Paul completely off guard because of all the futures he'd seen he'd never seen a single one where Gurney became a threat

Yeah, the prescience isn't some objective or infallible thing, as much as some characters believe it is. Superhuman prediction is still human, so Paul and Leto 2 are can't see possibilities beyond their own biased imaginations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Blood Boils posted:

Yeah, the prescience isn't some objective or infallible thing, as much as some characters believe it is. Superhuman prediction is still human, so Paul and Leto 2 are can't see possibilities beyond their own biased imaginations.

Yeah, the later books really show Paul's powers as having limitations and ways for others to gently caress with them. Plus he can't cope with what they seem to tell him he has to do.

Leto 2 is interesting becuase there's so much NO LITERALLY HIS POWERS TRANSEND EVERYTHING WATCH THIS poo poo in his book but you're still left wondering if mayyyyybe he's full of poo poo? And what then, mega-bug-Hitler?

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Leto becomes the thing that must not be destroyed in the literal sense and then spends 4000 years rubbing everyone's noses in it.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

I don't know why this question hit me in the middle of the night trying to sleep, but in the second film- what the gently caress were those two balloons the Baron has to have floating around? It seemed established in the first film that suspensors fit in your pocket, and he has some metal plating in his back that I assume give him enhanced strength. He looked really intimidating.

In the second film he just looked silly, like a party clown. Plus just the incredible vulnerability of how easily that could be disrespectfully sliced off (lol).

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
And if you think Leto II is wrong, his punishment is to live forever as a series of worms. Christ in the son's lovely books he doesn't even get to have most of the worms killed. It's just sort of "Yeah, I'm a immortal god-monster in the form of many giant worms, and I will never cease to be. Peace!".

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If and when they do 3, how would you all feel about them smashing Messiah / children / god emperor together in some way? It would be a huge change from books etc but if you get a third movie to complete the story of Dune would it make sense to end it with a Paul-worm?

Like, if we view movie-canon in a vacuum we don't have much of an explanation for any of his visions and an already compressed timescale. Why not hit highlights from the later books and go out on the biggest weirdest image as the fulfillment of prophetic visions rather than kick can down the road for another generation of Atreiades?

E: possible a book thread would be better for this question, sorry if it's spoilery but people have been pretty loose with that here.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 11, 2024

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Scags McDouglas posted:

I don't know why this question hit me in the middle of the night trying to sleep, but in the second film- what the gently caress were those two balloons the Baron has to have floating around?

I took them to be medical support things because he's still hosed up in ways from THE TOOTH.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

NmareBfly posted:

I took them to be medical support things because he's still hosed up in ways from THE TOOTH.

Oh yeah that actually owns. The ghost of Leto literally floating around next to him reminding him that his plans within plans had a lil misstep.

It's just funny because he seemed so invulnerable in the first film and in the second his weak point was more obvious than a videogame boss with a glowing red section.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
He's permanently maimed by the gas tooth. That's why he is always bathing in oil or needs the medical drones hooked up to him.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

NmareBfly posted:

If and when they do 3, how would you all feel about them smashing Messiah / children / god emperor together in some way? It would be a huge change from books etc but if you get a third movie to complete the story of Dune would it make sense to end it with a Paul-worm?

Like, if we view movie-canon in a vacuum we don't have much of an explanation for any of his visions and an already compressed timescale. Why not hit highlights from the later books and go out on the biggest weirdest image as the fulfillment of prophetic visions rather than kick can down the road for another generation of Atreiades?

E: possible a book thread would be better for this question, sorry if it's spoilery but people have been pretty loose with that here.

I'm not sure that arc makes sense for Paul as a character. Paul choosing to become the worm at the end of Messiah (presumably instead of walking into the desert? We're probably just skipping all of Children of Dune in this world?) would be hitting essentially the same beat as him choosing to become the Lisan al Gaib in part 2.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Am I misremembering or were the Fedaykin in the book a unit Paul raised himself, rather than a group or warrior caste he joined. Don't object I just think it's interesting.

I think I need to reread the book properly, rather than listen to the audiobook.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Both, I think. Religious suicide/genocide warriors in the general sense then Paul comes along and is the physical embodiment of their beliefs.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Thinking about it now I'd put Dune 1/2 in a league with The Shining, in that the movie interpretation hyper-focuses on a single theme and removes much of the story irrelevant to serving that theme. Kubrick's Shining takes out the Torrances' complexity to serve the horror of the Overlook. Villeneuve's Dune cuts out a lot of the incidental characterization between e.g. Jessica/Gurney/Duncan to focus on the horror of a messiah. In poorer hands, reducing character to cliffs notes absolutely kills stories (like the back half of Game of Thrones), and I think the back part of Dune 2 flirts with that, but like The Shining, the vibe of the movie is enough to carry it through the worst of the changes.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 53 minutes!
I wonder if how I feel is how Foundation book nerds feel about the Apple TV series

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The foundation series is definitely more terrible than the Dune movies

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Just saw this, movie good, an older guy in the theater said "Am I gonna be alive when they finish this series??" all pissedlike when the credits rolled lol. Prob not buddy. Prob not.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I’d assumed that we are skipping Leto II and getting worm Tim

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Arglebargle III posted:

The foundation series is definitely more terrible than the Dune movies

Looks nicer though. The ship designs and costumes are much memorable than anything in Dune, other than the 'thropter.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

explosivo posted:

Just saw this, movie good, an older guy in the theater said "Am I gonna be alive when they finish this series??" all pissedlike when the credits rolled lol. Prob not buddy. Prob not.

"Franchise" is a killing word!

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

well why not posted:

I’d assumed that we are skipping Leto II and getting worm Tim

I have a feeling if the worm god shows up he'd be in a vision of a possible future. Ending the trilogy on Paul rejecting destiny and wandering off feels like a more complete arc than him doubling down on what he went through in 2.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
It's going to end with Chani stabbing him, bookending with his first complete vision of her in the first movie. He's going to let it happen to free himself from the threads of destiny and allowing a Fremen to rule Arrakis like he promised her.

The above is just speculation, but I think it's where things are going.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That would be one way of making sure WB doesn’t make any sequels

Come to think of it maybe Chani can serve the function of the blind prophet

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Future KH: "to ensure... the future of humanity... you must become... a DICKLESS WORM."
Paul:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

YaketySass posted:

I have a feeling if the worm god shows up he'd be in a vision of a possible future. Ending the trilogy on Paul rejecting destiny and wandering off feels like a more complete arc than him doubling down on what he went through in 2.

Does it? And more to the point, how does it play in a movie? Like, the hero of these 3 movies wanders off blind into the dunes is a super bummer ending for movie audiences. I don't have an issue with it myself in particular but does it pass the sniff test for execs?

"Paul turns into a megalomaniac worm god" might actually suit the theme of not trusting a messiah better imo. It fucks up his personal arc, but are these movies about Paul, or are these movies about Dune? Even Paul himself can't avoid the allure of power and thinks he knows better, etc.

Worst case is of course a proper happy ending somehow, with him smiling at Leto 2 in his arms as Chani waters a plant in an oasis or some poo poo.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

There’s no way anyone is turning into a worm in Villeneuve’s movies. That’s a completely different kind of weird from what he’s been doing.

Wandering into the desert is completely on brand for one of his endings though. The producers at Legendary have been cool with going with such downers and are fully in support of him too.

PriorMarcus posted:

Looks nicer though. The ship designs and costumes are much memorable than anything in Dune, other than the 'thropter.

Eh, I feel like Foundation is just a mishmash of generic video game concept art. It’s very loud but I can’t recall a single design. Thopters, imperial spheres, harkonnen insectoid harvesters, whale ships, and worms with iris mouths are all burned into my memory though.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Scarabrae posted:

I wonder if how I feel is how Foundation book nerds feel about the Apple TV series

Foundation fans knew from like episode 2 that the thing was totally off the rails. Dune 1 is pretty close to the book, Dune 2 diverges a lot more from the books but also still a lot less than Foundation does comparably in just about every possible way.