Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How long until a Boeing plane crashes because the pilot accidentally restarted for Windows updates and it gets stuck at 45%?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also would the controls just blipping out momentarily cause a sudden dive? Seems like the plane would just momentarily glide. IANAP tho

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
i assume the 787 is all fly by wire but even so it's all supposed to be redundant and fault tolerant... i think the 787 is regarded as a good plane so i'd be skeptical of that account myself

does the FAA take any interest in this sort of thing, being that it was outside of the US and not a US carrier?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
my experience watching and rewatching all the episodes of Air Disasters tells me the NTSB and FAA get involved whenever it's a us plane (i think there's an international treaty that provides for this) and/or maybe when there are us citizens onboard

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Rip Testes posted:

One passenger states the pilot entered the cabin and stated his control gauges 'blanked out' and that he lost his ability to fly the plane in that moment.

No way that happened.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Phanatic posted:

No way that happened.

It's entirely possible that the pilot, having a pilot's ego, wanted to go back just to let the passengers know that the poor flying totally wasn't his fault, it was the stupid plane, he's still the best in the world

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Maybe he's shorting Boeing stock.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Phanatic posted:

No way that happened.

My dad said that on one flight where they had some sort of issue and had to turn around the captain did something like that

…circa 1980

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BonoMan posted:

Also would the controls just blipping out momentarily cause a sudden dive? Seems like the plane would just momentarily glide. IANAP tho

I would expect the cause and effect to be the other way around: a massive jolt upset electrical connexions and flight displays/controls.

It shouldn’t happen either way, but of the two, it’s more plausible.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

The pilot just accidently hit the "drop 10 feet vertically" button on the yoke by accident and doesn't want to fess up.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Short of something that disrupts the flow of air over the wings, like, say, turbulence, is there anything a pilot actually CAN do to make a plane violently drop like that?

I ask this as someone whose qualifications include a humanities degree and barely passing HS math, so if that's an extremely stupid question, please forgive me.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
qantas flight 72 (airbus a330) had a similar "big nose dive in flight, passengers injured" incident caused by a defective intertial reference unit

the unit sent faulty angle of attack data so the flight computer dropped the nose to avoid what it thought was a stall

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

stealie72 posted:

Short of something that disrupts the flow of air over the wings, like, say, turbulence, is there anything a pilot actually CAN do to make a plane violently drop like that?

I ask this as someone whose qualifications include a humanities degree and barely passing HS math, so if that's an extremely stupid question, please forgive me.

The usual thing is flying through a pocket of clear air turbulence.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

stealie72 posted:

The pilot can intentionally induce a stall, and that feels like a sudden drop.

E: technically stalling the plane is disrupting the flow of air over the wings, so I guess by your literal question that doesn't count. Maybe if the pilot taxied off a cliff

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 11, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ranbo das posted:

The pilot just accidently hit the "drop 10 feet vertically" button on the yoke by accident and doesn't want to fess up.

He was having a too much fun playing with the Dune ornithopter in FS2020, and he hit the fold wings button.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Sagebrush posted:

The pilot can intentionally induce a stall, and that feels like a sudden drop.

The injuries and damage to the ceiling indicate the aircraft experienced < 0G, which you wouldn't get from a stall or folding the wings like an ornithopter.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Pilot was playing on the Xbox version instead of a PC. Black screens are a known issue- not enough RAM.

But seriously, Air France 447 comes to mind. Ice blocking the pitot tubes causing inaccurate speed readings. Then the pilots did dumb things in alternate law and stalled the airplane from 35,000ft all the way down.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68534703

quote:

A former Boeing employee known for raising concerns about the firm's production standards has been found dead in the US.
John Barnett had worked for Boeing for 32 years, until his retirement in 2017.
In the days before his death, he had been giving evidence in a whistleblower lawsuit against the company.
Boeing said it was saddened to hear of Mr Barnett's passing. The Charleston County coroner confirmed his death to the BBC on Monday.
It said the 62-year-old had died from a "self-inflicted" wound on 9 March and police were investigating.

i love the air quotes around "self-inflicted"

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Have we gone over the Aussie flight that was leaking fuel during take off yet?

Betcha can’t guess who made it.

https://twitter.com/sfgate/status/1767325535057875430

Warbird fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 12, 2024

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Possibly very stupid question but how is it possible that fuel is coming out of the landing gear?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Best Friends posted:

Possibly very stupid question but how is it possible that fuel is coming out of the landing gear?

The center fuel tank is above it.

vv this of course makes far more sense

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 12, 2024

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

It's hydraulic fluid.
https://avherald.com/h?article=516053ed&opt=0

For God's sake do a modicum of fact checking before posting a link to a clickbait tweet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Best Friends posted:

The fuel makes the wheels go

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Everything is jet fuel if you’re desperate enough.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Safety Dance posted:

It's hydraulic fluid.

For God's sake do a modicum of fact checking before posting a link to a clickbait tweet.

Absolutely not, :justpost:. Though I had presumed the publication had done some sort of due diligence.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

`Nemesis posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68534703

i love the air quotes around "self-inflicted"

What the gently caress?

quote:

At the time of his death, Mr Barnett had been in Charleston for legal interviews linked to that case.

Last week, he gave a formal deposition in which he was questioned by Boeing's lawyers, before being cross-examined by his own counsel.

He had been due to undergo further questioning on Saturday. When he did not appear, enquiries were made at his hotel.

He was subsequently found dead in his truck in the hotel car park.

Speaking to the BBC, his lawyer described his death as "tragic".

What the gently caress!

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

now I hate to be a conspiracy theorist, but uhhhhhh

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Cojawfee posted:

How long until a Boeing plane crashes because the pilot accidentally restarted for Windows updates and it gets stuck at 45%?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aeronautical Insanity: switching to secondary tol-*BANG* *BANG*

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Luneshot posted:

now I hate to be a conspiracy theorist, but uhhhhhh

After United 585, I would not put anything past them.

https://special.seattletimes.com/o/news/local/737/part02/index.html posted:

The investigators gathered on the morning of March 21, 1991, at United's San Francisco base to discuss taking the dismantled servo valve to Parker Bertea's plant in Irvine for further testing. That was because United didn't have the equipment to extensively test the servo's slides.

Walz, of Parker Bertea, was assigned to hand-carry the servo valve to Irvine. John Calvin, the quality-control engineer from Boeing, instructed an assistant to pack up the parts. According to court records, the assistant left the room and returned with a taped package, which he handed to Walz, who carried it on a flight to Southern California.

When Walz opened the package that afternoon at the Parker Bertea plant, he discovered that three servo-valve parts were missing: a spring, spring guide and end cap.

Boeing, citing ongoing litigation, has never explained why those three parts were left out of the package forwarded to Irvine.

Together, the three missing parts play a crucial role in the delicate sequence of channeling just the right amount of pressurized hydraulic fluid, at just the right moment, to move the rudder in the direction and to the degree the pilot or the automatic yaw damper has commanded. When precisely positioned inside the servo-valve housing, the spring, spring guide and end cap serve as an internal stop, preventing the outer slide from moving too far within the housing.

It would be another 18 months before investigators would discover that too much movement of the outer slide could be dangerous.

As far as Phillips knew at the time, the three parts which John Calvin's helper failed to pack in San Francisco were inconsequential. Phillips concurred with a group decision to proceed with testing of the servo using a new spring, spring guide and end cap taken from Parker Bertea's stockroom.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 12, 2024

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
B Anon will make their first drop in ACARS

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Safety Dance posted:

It's hydraulic fluid.

Hydraulic fluid yearns to be free of its metal confines.

This is gonna be another MX issue, btw.

hobbesmaster posted:

This maybe not so much.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Warbird posted:

Absolutely not, :justpost:. Though I had presumed the publication had done some sort of due diligence.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to attack you directly. I feel like there's been a spate of breathless reporting about non-events because those planes happen to be Boeings.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Safety Dance posted:

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to attack you directly. I feel like there's been a spate of breathless reporting about non-events because those planes happen to be Boeings.

There has been.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Atlanta? It's either Ludacris or Big Boi.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Nvm

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 12, 2024

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Safety Dance posted:

Yep. United is getting the Carnival Triumph treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuller9x
Feb 15, 2005

Gimme Milk

Cojawfee posted:

Aeronautical Insanity: This plane doesn't meet the system requirements for Windows 11 Aero

or

Aeronautical Insanity: Upgrade to Microsoft CoPilot

Fuller9x fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 12, 2024