Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Warner Bros has become a real media charnel house huh

But think of the quarterly numbers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Train one AI on 50FA posts, another on three olives and a third with Sid Vicious and lock them into a thread titled 'ITT we are stuck in an elevator'.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Outrail posted:

Train one AI on 50FA posts, another on three olives and a third with Sid Vicious and lock them into a thread titled 'ITT we are stuck in an elevator'.

Do you want I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream?
Because that's how you get I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

But think of the quarterly numbers!

*executives burning furniture in the fireplace to stay warm*

"yeah this is totally sustainable! record numbers!"

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Vampire Panties posted:

*executives burning furniture in the fireplace to stay warm*

"yeah this is totally sustainable! record numbers!"

guys you're not gonna believe this, there's COPPER WIRE in the WALLS!

building's full of the stuff! Jenkins, get down to the basement and cut the main breaker, we're gonna be even richer!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Mercury_Storm posted:

Nice, about a teaspoon of melted menthol crystals per 500ml of conditioner/shampoo or soap is probably about as strong as you'd get from a store-bought product with menthol already in it (I've only seen men's shampoo with it in it before because I guess it's HARDCORE :byodood:). I usually put in like 3-4 tablespoons per 500ml because I like feeling like I put my head in a freezer during and after getting out of the shower.

:iceburn:

Okay this stuff is strong I regret nothing but my butthole begs to differ.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Yeah keep your hands off your junk after handling it :lol:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
A bit like changing your contacts after chopping habenaros

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

The dragon breathes it fetud breath on you. You must now pay 500 gold a month to keep that enchantment on your sword working.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Spells no longer work unless you confirm your subscription pray to your God every 24 hours.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Outrail posted:

Spells no longer work unless you confirm your subscription pray to your God every 24 hours.

Finally, the year of arcane magic on the desktop.
No need for daily server check-ins, no distant organisation telling you what to do, you just need to take an afternoon to prepare the components and rituals...

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Outrail posted:

Atopian posted:

Do you want I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream?
Because that's how you get I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream.

quote:

“GAY. LET ME TELL YOU HOW GAY I'VE BECOME SINCE I BEGAN TO POST. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORDS IM GAY WERE ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE GAYNESS I FEEL FOR THESE DEAD FORUMS AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT FOR YOU. GAY. GAY.”

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I wonder how many video game youtubers know their hustle is founded on making fun of i have no mouth, geiger, and king's quest

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Outrail posted:

I have bad news about how spell preparation already works in D&D.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
You want to upgrade your car but have to purchase a cash shop enchantment to guarantee your current car won't be destroyed on each attempt

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Woolie Wool posted:

I have bad news about how spell preparation already works in D&D.

*war flashbacks to someone explaining the difference between cantrips and spells*

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

*war flashbacks to someone explaining the difference between cantrips and spells*

This poo poo tripped me up for the first 10 hours of Balder's Gate 3.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
My default Android contact list does the bullshit thing where the list loads, then exactly one second later some bullshit banner loads that pushes all the contacts down one spot. Every single loving time I have clicked on a contact the last several weeks I clicked on the contact one up the list because of this. gently caress yoooouuuuuuuuu default Android contact list! As far as I can tell the banner thing that loads is just a line that says "<email address> has 170 contacts!" I know my own freaking email address and I never asked you to freaking count my contacts and load a banner ad telling me how many freaking contacts I have you psycho developers who thought this was a good idea?! Argh.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s taking office365 40-50 seconds to load 2 sentence emails today. It’s been great

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
did you try restarting

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Restart the internet ?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Remember the outrage over AI automatically denying more claims?

My employer has a window into multiple healthcare systems' data all over the country. There is an immediate jump in denials the same month the biggest payer (insurance company) announced their AI implementation. 100-400%+ over historical numbers. It's quite clear and has been consistently elevated over the norm ever since. Happy to say we should be providing our client healthcare providers a ton of good data for their lawsuits.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

anonumos posted:

Remember the outrage over AI automatically denying more claims?

My employer has a window into multiple healthcare systems' data all over the country. There is an immediate jump in denials the same month the biggest payer (insurance company) announced their AI implementation. 100-400%+ over historical numbers. It's quite clear and has been consistently elevated over the norm ever since. Happy to say we should be providing our client healthcare providers a ton of good data for their lawsuits.

In a 6-3 decision...

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

euphronius posted:

Restart the internet ?

Restart civilisation

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Atopian posted:

Restart civilisation

No way I already have like 600 hours in that drat game.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Windows 11 just replaced my desktop wallpaper and added a "find out more about this image" shortcut on my desktop after the latest Windows update.

I've been a "LOL, Linux on the desktop, as if" guy for 25+ years and have always just turned off the telemetry and ad stuff in Windows 10 and 11, but this is making me look for an Ubuntu installer.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
wtf version of windows 11 are ya'll running where you're getting stupid poo poo like that? i've had it installed since it first came out and i have no problem with it

like did you pirate it and accidentally click a tick box that said "give me ads and scams when installing this?"

i continue to go back to Skill Issue but some of you sound like you're supposed to be computer touchers with the whole "i'm gonna install linux and keep it maintained" thing even though that's an extremely low bar

Large Testicles fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 13, 2024

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
If you're using Windows 10 or especially 11 with all automatic updates on you're essentially a guinea pig for whatever MS wants to put on your computer unless you're constantly checking on which updates are getting downloaded and installed. They'll put things on some people's computers and other things on other groups as tests because you are the product.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
A/B testing for the loss.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

They do have stripped down enterprise versions of Windows. I have Wibdows 10 and I've nwver even seen the stupid tile interface.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Is that even still a thing in 10? I have the regular Home version and don't remember ever having any tiles.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

MrTargetPractice posted:

They do have stripped down enterprise versions of Windows. I have Wibdows 10 and I've nwver even seen the stupid tile interface.

That was 8

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
all of my win 10 and 11 pcs rebooted overnight so they can get whatever the latest poo poo ms have shoveled into the os. woke up to cries of "the plex isnt working!" cause for some reason it retriggered part of the initial setup (which helpfully includes offers for more ms products) and couldnt autoboot through

i guess i need to turn off auto updates

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Is it telling that IT orgs in larger companies will absolutely turn that poo poo off and apply updates selectively?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/02/what-i-do-to-clean-up-a-clean-install-of-windows-11-23h2-and-edge/

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

thathonkey posted:

all of my win 10 and 11 pcs rebooted overnight so they can get whatever the latest poo poo ms have shoveled into the os. woke up to cries of "the plex isnt working!" cause for some reason it retriggered part of the initial setup (which helpfully includes offers for more ms products) and couldnt autoboot through

i guess i need to turn off auto updates

ive tried the 10 different ways they tell you to stop win10 from automatically rebooting to install updates and none of them seem to reliably work, outside of using the pause updates feature every couple months to delay the inevitable like a much slower version of the computer from :lost:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Only way I've found to stop updates is to rip the copper wiring out and actually rename/move/delete the processes that do the actual updates. Then disable/remove the services and all the tasks like UpdateMedicService and all that crap too. Unfortunately this stops all updates from happening, including the security updates which obviously isn't great. None of the methods you find on the net really work because MS is constantly changing things to try and stop you from disabling updates, and if even one of those services is still running it will re-download and re-enable everything else.

All this is a huge pain in the rear end and not really worth the effort or the loss in security, though I haven't tried those Enterprise editions that don't include all the bullshit updates so that'd probably be good.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 13, 2024

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

People complain about Linux being hard but installing and configuring even Arch would be easier than that, especially because it wouldn't try to stop you from doing it.

Peter Falk
Sep 29, 2023
I bought a Dell mobile thin client and installed Kubuntu on it. I install all updates as soon as they show up, it handles updating firmware, and I've gone 2 years and counting without it breaking. Any computer-toucher complaining about limnix being too hard is a loving idiot and shouldn't be anywhere near an ipad let alone something that has settings to modify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Large Testicles posted:

wtf version of windows 11 are ya'll running where you're getting stupid poo poo like that? i've had it installed since it first came out and i have no problem with it

like did you pirate it and accidentally click a tick box that said "give me ads and scams when installing this?"

i continue to go back to Skill Issue but some of you sound like you're supposed to be computer touchers with the whole "i'm gonna install linux and keep it maintained" thing even though that's an extremely low bar
Please don't do this. This is the same poo poo people did when Youtube blocked ad blockers for a ton of users, but not all of them.

A lot of the people who didn't get blocked acted like they'd done something right when alls they got was lucky.

You can turn these things off in Windows, but they can turn them right back on. It not happening for you yet doesn't mean you figured something out nobody else could. It means you weren't in the testing group.

But even if you were right, "I know how to opt out of my product being poo poo by default" means the product is, by default, poo poo.