Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Since mould degradation keeps coming up, how is the Falcon Chassis? I think I'd consider Eldar soon (will I sound super older if I call them that? How well has the name update taken hold?) so does it seem better to get Warp Spinners now or see if there's a refresh? How big was the army update in 9th?

Relatedly, a factor in me pulling the trigger would be new Warp Spiders, do we have any cause to be confident that will happen?

I built a wave serpent maybe 2-3 years ago and it went together pretty well and the join lines to extend the passenger compartment were pretty easy to fill in.

It's a pretty basic shape and the top is all one piece that hides the most obvious places for seams. Its not the most finely detailed either so any mould lines are easy to handle without destroying whats underneath.

on the other hand the dire avengers mould is absolutely cooked

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I started building an Onager Dunecrawler I had halfway completed from years ago tonight. Turns out I'm missing some bars, including one portion of the ladder that goes up the side of the cockpit! It's going to bug me so much lol. The parts are too small & fragile to recast as well so I'm poo poo out of luck. Also I lost the base! So I'll need to see if I have anything I can replace it with.

All I basically have left to do now is build the dude sticking out of the cockpit with the gun & some undercarriage wiring. But now that I'm looking at it I am having a hard time figuring out how to add a Dark Mechanicum splash to it and that's bothering me more than anything.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Heck yeah. My gaming group (well, mostly one dude) had quite a few of those Armorcast models that looked like they were carved out of soap.

Just took a picture of my Eldar Tempest from that time.

Wonder if it's worth anything today.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Cease to Hope posted:

the vyper, falcon, and raider all extremely hold up

They were ahead of their time and still look good - sleek, alien, yet not overtly complicated. I would be curious behind the story of their design.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Samovar posted:

They were ahead of their time and still look good - sleek, alien, yet not overtly complicated. I would be curious behind the story of their design.

That’s easy. Jes Goodwin is a loving genius, and he’d be a gazillionaire if he’d gone into automotive design instead of toy soldiers.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Mar 11, 2024

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oh yeah Corsairs were also updated in 9th! Elves were eating good.

Shockeh posted:

That’s easy. Jes Goodwin is a loving genius, and he’d be a gazillionsire if he’d gone into automotive design in stead of toy soldiers.

That being said he might be pretty well off anyway considering his seniority.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I never met Jes as staff, and always wanted to; Andy Chambers was always an absolute delight.

Aside: I tried saving my Marine using Isoprophyl Alcohol brushed on, then wiped off with tissue, and it's helped a lot. It hasn't fully corrected it, it's still a bit bumpy, but it's way better than it was!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Virtual Russian posted:

If you get good results from blue stuff you should really consider making proper molds. I've made a decent number of silicone molds in my time, and struggle to get good results from blue stuff. If you are getting good results with blue stuff I'd bet you'd get perfect castings out of the real deal.

I saw a "microwaveable" silicone at the art shop the other day. Seems to be a good blend between the convenience of blue stuff vs the better results from pourable RTV (it melts in the microwave) any thoughts on it?

Initial impression is it being hot might make it not work out for some types of masters but beyond that sound like a pretty waste-free method of casting.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/11/fly-close-and-unleash-hell-with-a-tau-empire-detachment-full-of-battlesuits/

GW knows we're all excited about kroot, so that's why they're giving us a codex preview article dedicated to battlesuits instead.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hopefully everyone magnatizes their Battlesuits…

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Huh they're doing exactly what I thought they were going to do and standardize loadouts to bespoke data sheets.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I just glue the guns i like on and then lie about them. Nobody can stop me.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

The Deleter posted:

I just glue the guns i like on and then lie about them. Nobody can stop me.
Mods!?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mods fell to chaos, post small Khorne

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
In all seriousness this is probably the way to go for the crisis suit, there's no point to being a unit with a flexible loadout if the answer people come up with every time is "3 ion blasters lol" so might as well divide them up into datasheets with real roles. the commanders remaining flexible will probably result in some nonsense but who cares

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Tarquinn posted:

Just took a picture of my Eldar Tempest from that time.

Wonder if it's worth anything today.

With a box in okay condition, probably $200ish.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Cyclic Ion Blasters aren't even going to be an option soon on Crisis suits. God is great

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
discord announcement in the flgs where i play 40k

friendly local gaming store discord posted:

@everyone hey guys I never thought I would have to make this type of announcement. But as a general rule of thumb, it is explicitly forbidden to groom oneself in the play space. If you feel the urge to do that sort of activity, please go to the bathroom or just go home and handle your situation there. It’s really tough on us, the staff at [flgs], to come in to the shop to find remnants of someone’s body on the floor and furniture. Please please please be respectful to the space that was created for all of us to enjoy, which also includes the ones that maintain it.

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.
I have seen dudes biting off their toe-nails at the tables in FLGSs.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

E. Nesbit posted:

Dear God. It’s one thing if you have a skin condition or something but this???

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

OctaMurk posted:

discord announcement in the flgs where i play 40k

What kind of grooming was going on???

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

E. Nesbit posted:

:orks101: "Hey you were wrong about the overwatch rules for this unit during this phase"

:scrunt: "Talk about putting your foot in your mouth! "

:orks: *spits out coffee cup full of toenails*

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Anyway I did a Death Company, my only regret is not finding more spots to glue on grenades

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

The Demilich posted:

It's been a thought, but then I'd have to get a pressure cooker and it's just too much for me in terms of space.

Yes and no, a vacuum chamber is great, and lets you use the tougher more viscous silicones and resins. However, you can get extremely low viscosity silicones and resins that let you create molds and cast them successfully without a chamber. Years ago I produced a small line of 6mm pikemen without a chamber and the results were good, stuff for 28mm/32mm should be easier. Just don't expect the molds to last as long, but if you aren't doing production that shouldn't be an issue.

Z the IVth posted:

I saw a "microwaveable" silicone at the art shop the other day. Seems to be a good blend between the convenience of blue stuff vs the better results from pourable RTV (it melts in the microwave) any thoughts on it?

Initial impression is it being hot might make it not work out for some types of masters but beyond that sound like a pretty waste-free method of casting.

I've never tried it, I might have to buy some and test it out. That sounds like it could work well. Being activated by heat could be an issue, might restrict you to small casts, and might degrade very rapidly. Resin heats as it cures, and can get surprisingly hot if the piece is large enough. I'd worry that would be softening the mold details. I couldn't see it being an issue with a master though.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 11, 2024

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i still hate that GW doesn't credit sculptors any more

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Seems like they should have to legally, to protect their models with design patents I would think the sculptor would have to be labeled. Unless they dont need design patents for minis

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
it's all wfh, the sculptor is legally GW anyway

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

OctaMurk posted:

Seems like they should have to legally, to protect their models with design patents I would think the sculptor would have to be labeled. Unless they dont need design patents for minis

I mean I'm sure they track who did the job internally. They probably just don't make it public anymore for the same reason they didn't credit single writers for codices anymore

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Although they might be testing the waters a little on allowing that, with how they've been more lenient with revealing the names of their current batch of WHTV painters.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

How do they go from sculpture— I assume bigger than the eventual mini — to kit of random little bobs and bits ? I’d be curious about the process

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I mean I'm sure they track who did the job internally. They probably just don't make it public anymore for the same reason they didn't credit single writers for codices anymore

Every thread on Warhammer Competitive has 1-3 guys going off about how Robin Cruddace is the reason why x codex is so poorly designed or why 10th is so flavourless and boring etc and how he should have been fired years ago for having a favourite army etc

The Gav Thorpe of gameplay, if you will

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Cease to Hope posted:

i still hate that GW doesn't credit sculptors any more

I recently read the issue of White Dwarf about the Leviathan release and was surprised to see they credited sculptors for the set along with which models they did

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Also with CAD elements they're probably borrowing bits from various works which makes attribution a little tricky. They probably have a huge shared library of skulls and poo poo like that.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Each skull is bespoke, unique, and crafted lovingly by hand. You can't just cut and paste a skull. You have to will it into existence and imbue it with a bit of your own soul.

Two Beans fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 11, 2024

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Two Beans posted:

e: oops. Quote is not edit

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Nessus posted:

How do they go from sculpture— I assume bigger than the eventual mini — to kit of random little bobs and bits ? I’d be curious about the process

In the old days it would be hand carved at scale and then a mould made of the relevant pieces to be cast out of pewter. They then reused these moulds for resin which was a terrible idea (finecast resin). Older plastic models are made in a similar fashion which is why a lot of old kits are just torsos, heads, legs and arms in solid pieces with ball and sockets to pose them.

Modern models are made with what grognards derisively refer to as CAD which means Computer Assisted Design. Literally just "you used a computer so it's bad". Using CAD you can slice up a model into small, sometimes abstract art looking pieces, to minimize empty space on a sprue, enable even more detail and cleverly hide mould lines and gates from view.

For example the claw options of a Carnifex kit are all single pieces of plastic and the empty space between part and sprue is so big you can fit an entire assembled space marine inside them. Dire Avengers are pretty old and their helmets are oriented along the sprue rather than perpendicular so they have a massive mould line going right down the face. Tens of thousands of uses later those mould lines have gotten thicker over time as the metal mould has worn down and it's terrible.

Dire Avengers (2006)

Striking Scorpions (2024)

Bonus: check out the infamous cocked eye on the Dire Avenger Exarch's helmet in front

This is all very broad strokes view of the whole thing. There are a couple posters here who have hands on experience with injection moulding who can give you more concrete info if they're around.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Literally every engineer I work with or talked to refers to "CAD", I don't get how it's pejorative

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the CAD design can also be annoying because it doesn't cut models in a natural way for kitbashing or painting in assemblies. for example:

this piece from the chaos cultists is typical. and yes that is her head, boobs, left arm, and dangling flail, all as one fragile piece.

StashAugustine posted:

Literally every engineer I work with or talked to refers to "CAD", I don't get how it's pejorative

because when GW fans say CAD, they're generally referring to either the process that leads to the above or else the reuse of parts and poses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
laying out the models in cad for the mold also lets you balance the fill and ejection better-- you just get an all around better part. Less flash, less visible parting line, higher dimensional stability