Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Joining the goon discord because I got kicked from a pubbie match for 'being a communist' because 'we don't like to share'. I had a reference to the Marx Bros in my steam name.

I really appreciate the graduated difficulty in this game. I'm level 20 but still finding that 4 - 5 is about my speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Once you get used to the long throw distance it's brutal going back. I just wish I could have explosive resist and throwing distance together.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Riatsala posted:

Joining the goon discord because I got kicked from a pubbie match for 'being a communist' because 'we don't like to share'. I had a reference to the Marx Bros in my steam name.

I really appreciate the graduated difficulty in this game. I'm level 20 but still finding that 4 - 5 is about my speed.

most of my buddies who jsut want to blow up poo poo have settled on 5 since 6 is just more work for the same rewards. I think yesterday someone mentioned wanting like level 5 enemy spawns, but level 9 objectives and i agree that would be fun and cool. Toss in bile titans and tanks from alerts and for me that would be a perfect difficulty where doing objectives take multiple steps and such but its less hectic and stressful the entire time.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hyped to see how Thermite grenade works. Hopefully it burns through heavy armor.

EMS grenade + flamethrower will rule too

Illuminate heavy unit from leaks looks to be a bigass HL2-esque strider lol

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Surprisingly enjoying the Liberator Concussive even if it's not good. Definitely more of a bot weapon than a bug weapon though.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Saved you some time, sounds like a moron.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Dandywalken posted:

Hyped to see how Thermite grenade works. Hopefully it burns through heavy armor.

gently caress yeah, im really looking forward to how they do the illuminate in this. I imagine the whole control reversal thing wont work the same so im curious if they still try and do mind control stuff or go another route

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Riatsala posted:

Really funny that the kick you for "being a communist" because, uh, "managed democracy" is pretty clearly soviet/chinese communist (i.e., what they think communism is as opposed to what it actually is supposed to be - it's like they didn't even notice that everyone had the exact same home in the intro video...). Even funnier really when you realize that they conflated the Marx Brothers with Karl Marx (It'd be like me raging at someone with a Kate Bush song title reference in their name because "she and her family got us into another Iraq War"). But "Pubbies not understanding the satire" is pretty much the Free Space in Toxic Helldiver Player Bingo.

Edit: I do think 4-5 is a sweet spot in terms of just being able to take whatever you like and still having it work. It's a good balance between shooting the breeze and being sweaty.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 11, 2024

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SkyeAuroline posted:

Surprisingly enjoying the Liberator Concussive even if it's not good. Definitely more of a bot weapon than a bug weapon though.

IDK if it's any good but it's the most fun rifle I have

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Dandywalken posted:

yeah if the thermite grenade can bust the armour on a charger leg that'll open up a lot of flexibility in loadouts i think

thermite grenade + grenade pistol and you're basically covered for anti armour and popping holes / factories

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Managed democracy is not s dig at soviet/chinese style comminism but a dig at western neoliberal capitalist doctrine

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the buddy has to be wearing the backpack. as dinosaurs said in hd1 it made way more sense since everyone was on the same screen all the time. now its a much different and the very situations where team reload is the most useful are also the most likely to cause people to get separated.

4 helldivers all with recoilless rifles, rotating tandem reloads to ensure that not a single dropship ever lands

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Exodee posted:

I'm starting to really like the scorcher even against bugs. It takes down almost anything fairly quickly, and can handle even chargers if you empty a mag in its butt. The splash damage is bad if you shoot at something point blank of course but for slippery enemies like hunters you can also use it to your advantage by shooting at the ground underneath their legs.
Scorcher + Stalwart is a really good combo for bugs for a dedicated "medium and below" setup. The Stalwart mops up everything up to warriors (and can handle brood commanders pretty decently) while the Scorcher can deal with hive guards, brood commanders, spewers, and can handle charger butts alright like you said (though I'd rely on teammates primarily for AT duty).

LuiCypher posted:

lol, had someone kick me for readying up with a machine gun on a Difficulty 7 bug mission even though my other stratagems included:
*Orbital Railcannon
*Eagle Rocket Pods
*Eagle 500kg Bomb

I had ample enough solutions for dealing with big targets that maybe something that was good at chewing through a bunch of smaller, medium-armored things to stuff a bug breach before it happened wasn't actually a bad choice?
Frankly you could have packed clusters/airburst/napalm and it still would have been a dumb kick; managing the hordes of trash mobs is honestly just as important as being able to deal with the heavies.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

flashman posted:

Once you get used to the long throw distance it's brutal going back. I just wish I could have explosive resist and throwing distance together.

Agreed. I went back to the extra stims armor and consistently underthrow everything now because I'm so used to the extra throw distance.

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

heavenly piercing toke'n smoke'n

Insert name here posted:

Scorcher + Stalwart is a really good combo for bugs for a dedicated "medium and below" setup. The Stalwart mops up everything up to warriors (and can handle brood commanders pretty decently) while the Scorcher can deal with hive guards, brood commanders, spewers, and can handle charger butts alright like you said (though I'd rely on teammates primarily for AT duty).

Frankly you could have packed clusters/airburst/napalm and it still would have been a dumb kick; managing the hordes of trash mobs is honestly just as important as being able to deal with the heavies.

as a mech player, the hordes of small fellas are the things that really scare me in both bugs and bots. The big fellas like devestators/Stalkers and up are really no issue, I can focus them down, but good lord please more players need to focus on killing the jetpack bots or the warrior bugs before they put us in infinite reinforcement loop bring napalm and gas or whatever you like just pls not everyone needs to be worried about tanks and bile titans

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Jetpack Bots are the loving bane of my existence; I swear their corpses love to accelerate at light speed into me after I shoot them and they ragdoll, instantly killing me.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

hey mom its 420 posted:

Managed democracy is not s dig at soviet/chinese style comminism but a dig at western neoliberal capitalist doctrine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guided_democracy

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The jetpack robot cannot suicide bomb you if you disable his legs.

Or melee them to death, that works too.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Insert name here posted:

Jetpack Bots are the loving bane of my existence; I swear their corpses love to accelerate at light speed into me after I shoot them and they ragdoll, instantly killing me.

I always get killed by them because of my overdone "They fly now???" comments when I see em take flight

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

LuiCypher posted:

lol, had someone kick me for readying up with a machine gun on a Difficulty 7 bug mission even though my other stratagems included:
*Orbital Railcannon
*Eagle Rocket Pods
*Eagle 500kg Bomb

I had ample enough solutions for dealing with big targets that maybe something that was good at chewing through a bunch of smaller, medium-armored things to stuff a bug breach before it happened wasn't actually a bad choice?

This is funny because I found a really good Helldive PUG of 2 other people last week where we cleared an operation together and one of them ran jetpack + heavy mg. This was bugs on the moon biome and he would reposition up high and shred the hordes while me and the other guy dealt with the heavy poo poo. We extracted with super samples on every mission and I wouldn't say the mg was a downside at all.

Getting kicked at 7 with that load out is asinine.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I wish there was a way to craft better samples, even if the ratio was absurd. I have more rares than I'll ever be able to use

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Jerkface posted:

This is funny because I found a really good Helldive PUG of 2 other people last week where we cleared an operation together and one of them ran jetpack + heavy mg. This was bugs on the moon biome and he would reposition up high and shred the hordes while me and the other guy dealt with the heavy poo poo. We extracted with super samples on every mission and I wouldn't say the mg was a downside at all.

Getting kicked at 7 with that load out is asinine.
Ever since I found out that you can use the jump pack to reload the MG in mid-air and avoid being stationary while doing, so I've been meaning to try it in a real mission.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Chillgamesh posted:

I have awoken to the flamethrower against bugs. Running Punisher / Standard Frags / Eagle Airstrike / Eagle 500kg / Flamethrower / Shield Generator Pack with medium medic armor against them atm, might switch out Airstrike for the Patriot after the free one goes away. Playing on diff 7, and the flamethrower toasts chargers and spewers and versus swarms of small bugs you can lean on your shield to take advantage of the flamethrower's DPS but lack of stagger. Plus, the medic armor gives you a couple extra stims for when you inevitably set yourself on fire :v:

Now if only I could find a bot build I really liked.

Bot build for me has been what the follow-up poster said (Speed + Stealth via Infiltrator Armor) with the following:
Primary: Slugger (Slugger staggers bot berserkers and can one-shot devastators, although sometimes it struggles a bit with basic bots because it has a habit of nearly hitting them rather than actually hitting them thanks to the smaller round size).
Grenade: High Explosive (Impact is really nice for just eliminating a patrol of striders+berserkers quickly, but High Explosive is super-consistent for taking out bot spawners when everything else is on cooldown or you need to take a Stratagem Jammer)
Stratagems:
1 - Autocannon (AC is really good at handling pretty much all bot threats)
2 - 380mm Barrage (drop it on a medium outpost/objective that isn't a stratagem jammer wot needs to be destroyed and it will do the work)
3 - Orbital Laser (great "oh poo poo" button for bots, but save at least one use for the heavy outpost because it can solo it)
4 - Gas Strike (you need to be good at dropping stratagems on top of bot spawners, but once you are this is a great way to take out a light outpost on a short cooldown without needing to engage anything - just drop and run away).

The goal is to take objectives quickly and without getting into prolonged engagements (most of these strats you can drop on an outpost/objective and run away - the strat will do the work and the bots will never catch you), while still having the ability to support the team by taking out most high-priority targets unaided. AC really shines with Stealth+Speed armor because you can very easily sneak around a Tank that's being distracted by a teammate/going to where you were after it loses track of you and quickly put three rounds into the weakspot to kill it, plus you can solo a lot of threats on your own with it in ways that the Railgun just doesn't do as well/as quickly.

In terms of options, you can swap out Gas Strike for something else you prefer more or might be better-suited for a particular mission type. For example, if you are doing a geological survey you are pretty much guaranteed to get a bot drop every time you activate the drill, so in that case it might be worth taking Orbital Airburst because it absolutely chunks a drop. Or if you really want something that will take out a Hulk/Tank in a hurry without thinking about it, you can swap Gas Strike out with Orbital Railcannon - Railcannon will absolutely one-shot a Tank no problem without needing to do anything risky like trying to flank it. Finally, if you want to be in a good position to help secure the Evac when you call in the Pelican, you can always take a solid sentry (Mortar/Autocannon/Rocket Turret) to help hold the line against the incoming bot horde.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Basic eagle airstrike is way more versatile than any orbital barrage imo

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Would Liberator Penetrator be OP if it kept normal Liberators stats and fire modes but kept its current damage/recoil?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Musluk posted:

Truth.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Dandywalken posted:

Would Liberator Penetrator be OP if it kept normal Liberators stats and fire modes but kept its current damage/recoil?

I’d be happy if I just had the same magazine size

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Musluk posted:

I like the big one against a horde your let get too big

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Notes from fighting robots that I think are important:

- Everyone should know that two impact grenades to the vents of a tank, hulk, or tower will take them out, making impact grenades continue to be the best grenade in the game (also a single grenade can destroy bile spewers if it hits their fat asses)
- Going prone puts out a fire
- Concussive liberator loving sucks, but it does stun robots which is of dubious value if it also does no damage
- Smoke is very useful, but an EMP mortar is way more useful against robots
- Please stop bringing flamethrowers and napalm it's not very good against robots-- I know they have more armor, but they also have very easy to identify weak spots
- Liberator is better than Liberator Penetrator if you think you'll be able to target a weak spot at all. Also Liberator is the best gun in the game
- Always bring Eagle Airstrike against bots (and bugs) because it can destroy factories and kill basically everything reliably

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
notes from taking the SPEAR out: it is a travesty that it can't lock onto bot cannon emplacements

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Eagle Airstrike basically never leaves my loadout. It’s so good for clearing nests/factories, while also doing good work against enemy groups. I like to switch up all my other slots but that thing is basically locked in.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

atelier morgan posted:

notes from taking the SPEAR out: it is a travesty that it can't lock onto bot cannon emplacements

The biggest travesty is that it can lol its just so finicky

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If I could bring Eagle Airstrike multiple times so I can have like 6 airstrikes per rearm I would do it. Two Eagle Airstrikes, grenade launcher, and jump pack.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

flashman posted:

The biggest travesty is that it can lol its just so finicky

what the hell i tried so many times, 3rd person, 1st person, from multiple ranges...

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Dandywalken posted:

2 Thermite grenades will take out a hulk at least
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7344515873643810094

jokes posted:

If I could bring Eagle Airstrike multiple times so I can have like 6 airstrikes per rearm I would do it. Two Eagle Airstrikes, grenade launcher, and jump pack.

Eagle Airstrike is the best strategem in the game and it isn't close

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

atelier morgan posted:

what the hell i tried so many times, 3rd person, 1st person, from multiple ranges...

I'm like one for ten so don't feel bad. When they fix the spear tracking its going to be glorious

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

It would probably would make the Liberator obsolete if it got 45 round mags.

It's in a weird place where it's not generally a good pick because there is exactly ONE medium armor enemy that doesn't have a frontal weakspot that's super vulnerable to every weapon in the game (brood commander's head) and doesn't also have enough hp to eat 3/4 of its magazine.

If devastators and hive guards had less hp, and the striders had medium armor at the view port or top lip of its shield it would be a lot more viable within its niche.

As is medium armor pen is just not that valuable unless you're also doing a ton of damage too.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 11, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Piell posted:

2 Thermite grenades will take out a hulk at least
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7344515873643810094

Did they update this game today or what’s the deal w those?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Worf posted:

Did they update this game today or what’s the deal w those?

they might have just been in the game files early.

https://twitter.com/Helldivers2HQ/status/1767082377921323426

there's apparently a lot of stuff there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

quote:

It's not as great for taking out bile titans and chargers and tanks unfortunately. I bring laser for bots and orbital rail cannon for bugs (in addition to eagle airstrike)