Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Discendo Vox posted:

Could you provide some source for the new defamation?

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/10/trump-denies-carrolls-claims-after-posting-91point6-million-bond-.html

quote:

“I just posted a $91 million bond, $91 million on a fake story, totally made-up story,” Trump said, adding that the judgment was, “based on false accusations made about me by a woman that I knew nothing about, didn’t know, never heard of, I know nothing about her.”

Edit: Also from that article, this statement by Trump is nearly exactly the same as the statement that he made that led to the $91 million judgement

https://twitter.com/lawofruby/status/1766675160197652894

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Haha, thanks y’all I was phoneposting, shoulda done a better job of googling.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
So when a punitive fine isn’t enough to stop someone, you just have to keep ratcheting up the number till it works, right? Maybe a cool billion?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Honestly, successfully delaying all the criminal stuff but destroying himself with civil penalties would be the most Trump thing he could do.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/alanfeuer/status/1767201224074432983

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Given that he has won the Repulican nomination, he's going to do more campaigning. Which just provides more opportunities for him to defame Jean Carroll and expose himself to another civil suit.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I hope that anyone considering putting up a $500 million bond for him is paying attention

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I hope that anyone considering putting up a $500 million bond for him is paying attention

As far as I can tell, the more money you have the less you know about anything going on, so this seems unlikely.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
If any philosophers out there were wondering whether pride or greed is more of an all-consuming desire, welp

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

For the millionth time, is this not the point where Jack Smith files for her to be removed on incompetence grounds? I know she's doing this on purpose but if the outcome is functionally the same as putting a loving parrot in the chair I don't care.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I find posts like this baffling and inexplicable. Of course there are idiots with money who will bail Trump out because they are all in on fascism. Like if you are a multi-billionaire, pissing 500m down the drain to bring in the fash that you crave is good enough regardless of it netting you money in the long run or not. 500m is literally nothing to Elon Musk for example. He doesn't need some sort of return on investment to justify the 500m. His idiot brain just needs to go, "my follower count on twitter will go up if I do it." and that's enough.

Now this isn't me saying that someone will absolutely come to bat to Trump, just that we have enough absolute demons with fuckloads of money who can throw away 500m with a casual lack of care the same way one of us might do so when we really want a pizza. So it's weird to me how the talk around this has mostly been people going, "this is obviously a bad investment, nobody will bite."

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 11, 2024

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Maybe they made more than 90m dollars somehow by having access through Trump?

In the case of 500m thats a harder sell.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Murgos posted:

Also, if I were CHUBB's board I would immediately fire the CEO who cost the company 91 million over a weekend, that may take years of legal action to recover, on a dumb bet.

A hilarious option is that Trump is so sure that he'll win on appeal that he offered excellent terms to Chubb

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Tesseraction posted:

For the millionth time, is this not the point where Jack Smith files for her to be removed on incompetence grounds? I know she's doing this on purpose but if the outcome is functionally the same as putting a loving parrot in the chair I don't care.

That's a nuclear option and Smith will wait until Cannon makes a decision that warrants such extraordinary action. She's inching up to that line IMO but judges have very wide discretion for a reason and that has to be respected.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

She has the discretion to do this. This is the consequence of electing Trump to appoint judges.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Shammypants posted:

Maybe they made more than 90m dollars somehow by having access through Trump?
The likely form of the bond deal is something like "We loan you $91m and are charging 7% interest. The loan is secured by some specific property we think is worth at least $150m. When the loan and accumulated interest reaches $120m (or the property value goes down), Trump either pledges more collateral, or we immediately seize the property, sell it at auction, repay the loan from the proceeds, and give Trump anything left over" with the numbers changed.

The only way Chubb loses money on the loan is if the collateral price estimate is very wrong, or crashes faster than they can seize and auction it. Trump losing his appeal immediately doesn't matter to them.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Foxfire_ posted:

The likely form of the bond deal is something like "We loan you $91m and are charging 7% interest. The loan is secured by some specific property we think is worth at least $150m. When the loan and accumulated interest reaches $120m (or the property value goes down), Trump either pledges more collateral, or we immediately seize the property, sell it at auction, repay the loan from the proceeds, and give Trump anything left over" with the numbers changed.

The only way Chubb loses money on the loan is if the collateral price estimate is very wrong, or crashes faster than they can seize and auction it. Trump losing his appeal immediately doesn't matter to them.

I mean when Trump gave Chubb affiliated personnel access to positions in government from 2016-2020.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Foxfire_ posted:

What if the government seizes and sells the same property first for a different judgement?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What if the government seizes and sells the same property first for a different judgement?

Presumably the lender’s claim on the property gets first dibs, so maybe the same process except the government keeps the cash left over.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

I imagine then CHUBB or whoever files a civil suit or puts a lien and then they negotiate who gets what

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

withak posted:

Presumably the lender’s claim on the property gets first dibs, so maybe the same process except the government keeps the cash left over.

See I would expect the government to get first dibs, they're the government. But the gubbmint can attach any property, whereas the private lender doesn't have a general writ just a single lien on individual property (presumably).

I hated secured transactions class

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
trump 100% thinks he'll get over on all of these lenders. all of them.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

See I would expect the government to get first dibs, they're the government. But the gubbmint can attach any property, whereas the private lender doesn't have a general writ just a single lien on individual property (presumably).

I hated secured transactions class

IDK, I'm just guessing. Seems like the government's overall goal is to get what money they can from the defendant, not from some rando foolish enough to lend him money.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

withak posted:

IDK, I'm just guessing. Seems like the government's overall goal is to get what money they can from the defendant, not from some rando foolish enough to lend him money.

Right but the other side of that is I'm not sure why the government should care about the potential liabilities of third parties dumb enough to loan Trump money.

Like, your dumb rear end took out a lien on Trump Tower when you knew the government was probably weeks away from foreclosing on it. Whose fault is that? Why should your poor business decisions mean the government can't get their money?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Is this like the thing where there's a new trial on the new defamatory statement?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Morrow posted:

Is this like the thing where there's a new trial on the new defamatory statement?

One can only assume Roberta Kaplan sighed on Saturday evening and opened "Carroll v. Trump III (prelim).docx"

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

So when a punitive fine isn’t enough to stop someone, you just have to keep ratcheting up the number till it works, right? Maybe a cool billion?

See my earlier post about Trump defaming Carrol from inside a cardboard box.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Judgement liens don't usually get special treatment like tax liens or contractor's liens do. Everything else gets paid in the order it was attached to the property.

If the property is being sold, back taxes get paid first, then unpaid contractors who did work there, then everyone else starting with the earliest. If there's leftover civil judgment damages, they'd move on to another property until there's nothing left,.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shammypants posted:

I mean when Trump gave Chubb affiliated personnel access to positions in government from 2016-2020.

Again, this is not free money to Trump. This is almost certainly a secured loan backed up by valuable property, which Chubb will be able to seize and sell to pay off what he owes them (plus interest) if he is unable to come up with the cash.

If you're referring to the president of Chubb being appointed to the Advisory Committee for Trade Policy and Negotiations under Trump, that's not unusual at all and it's unlikely to be tied to any sort of quid pro quo. The executive branch has a fuckton of business advisory committees like this, and they generally have quite a few members, and there's usually plenty of random big business executives on them.

It's hardly something an executive would owe a president $100 million for. We certainly don't see the 14 current members of the ACTPN lining up to shower hundreds of millions of dollars in personal favors on Biden. Same goes for the 18 members of the Trade Advisory Committee on Africa, the 15 members of the Intergovernmental Policy Advisory Committee, the 34 members of the Agricultural Policy Advisory Committee, the several dozen members of the six Agricultural Technical Advisory Committees for Trade, the 25 members of the President's National Infrastructure Advisory Council, or many many more.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Foxfire_ posted:

Judgement liens don't usually get special treatment like tax liens or contractor's liens do. Everything else gets paid in the order it was attached to the property.

If the property is being sold, back taxes get paid first, then unpaid contractors who did work there, then everyone else starting with the earliest. If there's leftover civil judgment damages, they'd move on to another property until there's nothing left,.

Thanks, that answers my question. I remembered enough to know special treatment for government liens was possible but didnt known or had forgotten that was just for tax liens.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

mdemone posted:

That's a nuclear option and Smith will wait until Cannon makes a decision that warrants such extraordinary action. She's inching up to that line IMO but judges have very wide discretion for a reason and that has to be respected.

It’s not a nuclear option, it’s an option that simply doesn’t exist. There’s no such thing as a motion to make the judge move faster, and any appellate court would laugh either a mandamus or a motion to reassign out of court, because they, too, are judges, and as judges don’t want piddly little people like litigants getting to control their schedule.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Main Paineframe posted:

Again, this is not free money to Trump. This is almost certainly a secured loan backed up by valuable property, which Chubb will be able to seize and sell to pay off what he owes them (plus interest) if he is unable to come up with the cash.

Ok but what if CHUBB just doesn't collect? Like if the owner/ceo/shareholders are MAGA dipshits, what stops them from forgiving the loan if they are so inclined and can afford to lose 90m? Looking up the CEO, this probably isn't the case, probably. Which is good.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Failboattootoot posted:

Ok but what if CHUBB just doesn't collect? Like if the owner/ceo/shareholders are MAGA dipshits, what stops them from forgiving the loan if they are so inclined and can afford to lose 90m? Looking up the CEO, this probably isn't the case, probably. Which is good.

Everything is securities fraud, so it would take 1 shareholder to sue and it would be a pretty easy case showing the board wasn't looking after shareholders.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oil! posted:

Everything is securities fraud, so it would take 1 shareholder to sue and it would be a pretty easy case showing the board wasn't looking after shareholders.

One of the very few times that shareholder protection laws works out in our favor?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Oil! posted:

Neat. Thanks for the info!

elhondo
Sep 20, 2012
Grimey Drawer
That's why I tend to think someone else secured the bond. It doesn't scream due diligence to accept a lien against property from an entity that was found guilty of fraud for overvaluing property. And in the course of the trial that entity was credibly accused of making up a fake, 50m loan. The CFO is headed back to jail for perjury.

This is well below low-tier junk bond.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Randalor posted:

One of the very few times that shareholder protection laws works out in our favor?

Something that I hope becomes a theme in this thread: this is exactly what cost Elon Musk $55bn a few weeks ago after 1 (one) shareholder sued him for similar poo poo.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

elhondo posted:

That's why I tend to think someone else secured the bond. It doesn't scream due diligence to accept a lien against property from an entity that was found guilty of fraud for overvaluing property. And in the course of the trial that entity was credibly accused of making up a fake, 50m loan. The CFO is headed back to jail for perjury.

This is well below low-tier junk bond.

I think if you look at everything Trump owns globally, you can probably get to the amount Chubb paid for the bond, but I'd be surprised if he has anywhere near enough assets to cover the $450 million needed for the NY fraud bond.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

azflyboy posted:

I think if you look at everything Trump owns globally, you can probably get to the amount Chubb paid for the bond, but I'd be surprised if he has anywhere near enough assets to cover the $450 million needed for the NY fraud bond.

I think it's important to note that he didn't get a bond for the fraud trial. If he could have gotten both of them, he would have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

It’s not a nuclear option, it’s an option that simply doesn’t exist. There’s no such thing as a motion to make the judge move faster, and any appellate court would laugh either a mandamus or a motion to reassign out of court, because they, too, are judges, and as judges don’t want piddly little people like litigants getting to control their schedule.

Under the Classified Information Protection Act, the DOJ can appeal immediately to the controlling circuit based on interests that are vital to the protection of that information.

Do they want to resort to that? No. Because it's a very high bar.