Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah it's very similar, more than just refusal of the call.

Nothing wrong with homages or inspirations. It's a really good scene in man of steel after all.

Now we just need some neck snapping in avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

checkplease posted:

Still waiting on that Kyoshi prequel series.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

I don't know what it is about Snyder that makes otherwise reasonable people lose their minds (and I don't think either of these people are even comic book nerds so it's not the usual "he doesn't get the source comics!") but I did appreciate that at least they were inventing new reasons to hate Snyder.

I saw a video a few months ago where the hosts said, totally unrelated to the topic at hand*, something like "I can understand the people who hate The Last Jedi, but I just don't get the Snyder Cultists. What they like is so mediocre!"

*the topic at hand was their Dragonball Z fandub

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 23, 2024

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Pirate Jet posted:

Still waiting on that Kyoshi prequel series.

They added a bunch of new stuff with Kyoshi, so we do get to see her kicking some rear end

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Aces High posted:

They added a bunch of new stuff with Kyoshi, so we do get to see her kicking some rear end

In the Netflix show!? Better than the original confirmed.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I finally got around to seeing Army of the Dead and Army of Thieves. They're both pretty good. In Dead, I enjoyed the dynamic between Bautista and Purnell, and how their final moment echoes a prior scene where the daughter finally understands what her father suffered through. It's not my favorite zombie movie (that'd be Doomsday because that movie loving RULES), but it's one I wouldn't mind watching again. Dieter was definitely my favorite character, and I appreciate that he got his own origin story in Thieves.

I liked Thieves more, though. I know it's directed by someone else, but I appreciate the goofiness. Schweighofer has a talent for physical comedy with how he manages to move with precise awkwardness. His stumbling, hunched running, and the way he warms up before cracking a safe are all hilarious. Sebastian is much different than Dieter, but I can see how one leans into the other. Thieves also offers an explanation as to why Dieter is always saying such stilted over-the-top stuff. He's trying to play the cool safecracking comic book character he made when he was still kid Sebastian, and his true self pokes through at key points in Dead.

My only complaint with Dead is Tig Notaro's character. She did an okay job with it, but I can't keep myself from seeing D'Elia in the role. The dialog fits the types of characters I've seen him play before (weirdly endearing jackass), but gently caress that monster. It is pretty funny seeing Tig chomping a cigar while standing on top of a POS chopper.

I really want to see Rebel Moon, but I'm waiting for Snyder's full cut.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
There is one last lingering thing that kind of bugged me about Army of the Dead. Maybe I've watched too many zombie movies, but it's a movie that really telegraphs its later scenes. It might be intended as a feature (especially in that final scene), but it also means that I never felt that tension of uncertainty on how things would play out. I like not knowing what is going to happen next in movies. I think that might also be why I enjoyed Thieves more. I knew Sebastian/Dieter would somehow end up in Nevada, but I didn't know who he was, what safecracking meant to him, or his journey to the US would play out.

Also, heist movies are fun.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It depends I think, a lot of people might completely miss any foreshadowing at all, others enjoy catching the setup and watching the payoff.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

checkplease posted:

If they added a tearful neck snap on Ozai then I'm in. I will watch every episode.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
Watching Witch from Mercury. Want Snyder to make a live action Gundam movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Znook Snooder

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Pirate Jet posted:

In the Netflix show!? Better than the original confirmed.

hmmmm:

1. directly homages MoS
2. everyone is saying it is bad and making smug memes
3. more Kyoshi

yea this seems destined to be GOATed

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Majkol posted:

Watching Witch from Mercury. Want Snyder to make a live action Gundam movie.

CelticPredator posted:

Znook Snooder

Zaku Snyder

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Zaku Snyderu surely.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Majkol posted:

Zaku Snyderu surely.

it's a joke about a mech called the Zaku, not Japanese-English pronunciation

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's a joke about a mech called the Zaku, not Japanese-English pronunciation

Oh well, I am less ignorant now. Thank you.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

hmmmm:

1. directly homages MoS
2. everyone is saying it is bad and making smug memes
3. more Kyoshi

yea this seems destined to be GOATed

honestly, Snyder is probably the right person to look to for where a lot of inspiration for the new AtLA. It's still an all-ages show, but there is a LOT of violence and they have not shied away from showing that people die now. poo poo, if we're going with MoS homages, the bit that one homage comes from could be an homage on its own, because the first 20 minutes of episode 1 is a prologue, showing Aang with the Air Nomads and being told he's the Avatar and running away, as the Fire Nation comes and kills everyone at the Southern Air Temple. You could argue that they looked at films like Man of Steel, and spending so much time on Krypton before we fast-forward to the present, and decided "yes, these are the tools we want to use when re-telling this story"

come to think of it, this may be why I have enjoyed the new AtLA more than most people. They're doing Snyder's thing, they're telling the same story, but they're also doing the whole "Batman would get raped in prison in our version of the universe" and I'm ok with that. I still love the cartoon, it has a lot of slapstick and LCD humour, but when it had to get serious and have stakes, they didn't back down and let actions have consequences (as much as Nickelodeon would allow). The Netflix series has been freed of the Nickelodeon constraints, so a lot of those things are allowed to go to their logical conclusions now

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Aces High posted:

honestly, Snyder is probably the right person to look to for where a lot of inspiration for the new AtLA. It's still an all-ages show, but there is a LOT of violence and they have not shied away from showing that people die now. poo poo, if we're going with MoS homages, the bit that one homage comes from could be an homage on its own, because the first 20 minutes of episode 1 is a prologue, showing Aang with the Air Nomads and being told he's the Avatar and running away, as the Fire Nation comes and kills everyone at the Southern Air Temple. You could argue that they looked at films like Man of Steel, and spending so much time on Krypton before we fast-forward to the present, and decided "yes, these are the tools we want to use when re-telling this story"

come to think of it, this may be why I have enjoyed the new AtLA more than most people. They're doing Snyder's thing, they're telling the same story, but they're also doing the whole "Batman would get raped in prison in our version of the universe" and I'm ok with that. I still love the cartoon, it has a lot of slapstick and LCD humour, but when it had to get serious and have stakes, they didn't back down and let actions have consequences (as much as Nickelodeon would allow). The Netflix series has been freed of the Nickelodeon constraints, so a lot of those things are allowed to go to their logical conclusions now

Well, let's hope not.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

well nothing like that happened in the original, so I don't expect them to suddenly include one of the earthbending wrestlers trying to sexually assault Toph (or, really, ANY kind of sexual assault, considering the ages of the main characters), for example. I mean more in the sense that when bloodbending shows up, we're gonna see that the victims don't just "get over it" and go back to their regular lives. They're already covering some of that with changes like having Katara be witness to her mother's death, instead of being shooed away and coming back to a body. It's now a significant part of her growth as a bender

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://x.com/brndnstrssng/status/1765683637054275667?s=46&t=yPIpoeD_1zo6-P4nl9Hh1g

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

What's he saying? There's no subtitles.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

He talks about the spartan tradition of Krypteia, where spartans would make love to their comrade in arms to strenghten their bondsand make them fight harder on the battlefield, which apparently blew Rogans five remaining brain cells

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

McCloud posted:

He talks about the spartan tradition of Krypteia, where spartans would make love to their comrade in arms to strenghten their bondsand make them fight harder on the battlefield, which apparently blew Rogans five remaining brain cells

Thank you.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Stolen from genchat
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fatal_exam

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

lmao what

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

McCloud posted:

Okay Krypteia legit threw me for a minute there

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://x.com/haydenbarton_39/status/1766674548680794460?s=46&t=yPIpoeD_1zo6-P4nl9Hh1g

Chad Snyder

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Zack is so cool. I already have three dads, which is enough, but if I had room for one more...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Could always make him an uncle.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
calling Rebel Moon a live action Heavy Metal has to be one of the funniest bits on the Joe Rogan podcast, pure comedy

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

No Luck Needed posted:

calling Rebel Moon a live action Heavy Metal has to be one of the funniest bits on the Joe Rogan podcast, pure comedy

Why? It's obviously the biggest influence on it, much moreso than star wars

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Blood Boils posted:

Why? It's obviously the biggest influence on it, much moreso than star wars

what? from memory rebel moon is about a lady who didnt want to be a warrior and her community being hassled for grain

heavy metal is about a mcguffen of a magic ball of power that grants power to those that posses it

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

No Luck Needed posted:

what? from memory rebel moon is about a lady who didnt want to be a warrior and her community being hassled for grain

heavy metal is about a mcguffen of a magic ball of power that grants power to those that posses it

He's talking about Heavy Metal magazine, on which the Heavy Metal movie is very loosely based. It was a sci-fi/fantasy comic/fiction anthology that featured a lot of sex and violence.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
rebel moons story reminded me of seven samurai more than any star wars movie

the scifi elements were more warhammer 40k than heavy metal

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

No Luck Needed posted:

the scifi elements were more warhammer 40k than heavy metal

I cannot possibly overemphasize how much WH 40k cribs from Heavy Metal.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

*reading Neuromancer for the first time in 2024* ugh, so this is just a Cyberpunk 2077 rip off?!?!?

(like, I'm not making fun of you, if you weren't alive for the genesis of the genre then the early stuff seems simple and derivative.)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I remember when the John Carter movie came out a decade ago people were complaining about it being derivative.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Presumably also when Snyder makes comparisons to Heavy Metal (magazine) he is not talking about the sanitized and cut down PG version, but the extended DC which has been stated to have a lot more explicit sex and graphic violence

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You know what had a lot of Heavy Metal influence that nobody said anything about? The Creator. Those skylines and robot design are right out of a mid-80s issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The Creator was loving excellent.