Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Mercenaries is still a thing (and still potentially the easiest way to knock out the spell school quest).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Wasn't there a Classic Mode? where did that go?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

killed at the same time they introduced Twist

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Having just returned to this game after ~6 years, the power creep is disorienting. Minions are basically spells. Nothing sticks, removal and low cost board clears are everywhere. The idea of building a board is a distant memory.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Desert Bus posted:

Wasn't there a Classic Mode? where did that go?

Classic’s a bad, boring format, so player interest shriveled after the nostalgia wore off and Blizzard mercy-killed it

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

bravesword posted:

Classic’s a bad, boring format, so player interest shriveled after the nostalgia wore off and Blizzard mercy-killed it

It was 100% full of bots. That may sound bad but it was actually great. All the bots just kept to that one format and played each other. Then when they killed classic, that's when the bot problem spread to standard and wild. They should have just left it as a thing for bots in like an out of reach corner somewhere and let all the botters just keep to themselves.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I would rather Brann say an extra time instead of twice.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Also classic was fun I got to relive Druid when it was simple math instead of calculus.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

As a high diamond / occasional low legend standard player on EU I can't flag a single time when I've confidently thought my opponent was a bot. Is it specific to some servers and ranks?

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Desert Bus posted:

You don't play Wild do you lol

I guess the thing with wild is as there are an ever increasing number of cards in there it will just get harder and harder to balance until it eventually becomes like duels where every serious deck is totally broken against anything that doesn't specifically counter it.

That's probably why they came up with twist, as a way of getting people to use (buy) old cards but in a more restricted format.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

GTO posted:

As a high diamond / occasional low legend standard player on EU I can't flag a single time when I've confidently thought my opponent was a bot. Is it specific to some servers and ranks?

You clearly mean aside from the obvious blizzard bots right?

But the tell is repeatedly hovering over hero power and card. Like impossibly repeatedly.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Maybe I'm just really unobservant but yeah, even blizzard ones I can only think of a handful of times ever! I play exclusively on tablet / mobile, wonder if that affects matchmaking.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Blizzard bots have been removed, but the current non-Blizz bots have a lot of similarities.

They usually have some kind of VerbNoun name, play basic cards, have a set delay between actions, and always go face or make other terrible plays.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

kater posted:

I would rather Brann say an extra time instead of twice.

…so it stacks? that seems like a terrible idea honestly

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It would stack and be multiplicative.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

GTO posted:

Maybe I'm just really unobservant but yeah, even blizzard ones I can only think of a handful of times ever! I play exclusively on tablet / mobile, wonder if that affects matchmaking.

Same level, same server, same devices and no I don't really notice any bots in the EU world. I also feel like mobile players are always at a slight disadvantage without deck/card trackers, but oh well, that's the price to pay to play while walking the dog or sitting on the toilet.

Cart#2445 btw EUgoons.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I was gonna comment that I haven't noticed bots either, though perhaps they're not at my matchmaking rating :smuggo:, but then I logged in and I'm currently facing a demon hunter named MauveMage who opened with a redgill razorjaw and a dire wolf alpha... and just conceded after playing a grim necromancer. uncanny

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I hadn't seen a single player I could confidently say was a bot until last month, when I ran into three of them on the Standard ladder. All three were playing Mech Rogue with the default hero skin and no cosmetics, had generic usernames, and were very bad. (It turns out From the Scrapheap is a real bad card if you just play the tokens as 1/1s instead of magnetizing them!)

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
managed to smuggle the felbat out early from a quest, and I somehow won my last four combats with four health against my oppo who ha 29 health and five armor. Was going to concede after our first round in the final two ended in a draw

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
A ton of Twitch drops for the Anniversary stream on Monday, and some on Wednesday

Community Manager RidiculousHat on Reddit posted:

Hi all, Hat here. I'm here to tell you about next week's Community Day and Theorycrafting drops on Twitch - I was under the (mistaken) impression that they'd be publicly visible on Twitch before the event, but since they won't be, I wanted to make sure to communicate with you all directly ahead of time.
Here's what you'll receive on for 4 total hours of watch time starting at 10am PDT on Monday the 11th and running for 24 hours:
-1 Festival pack, 1 TITANS pack, 1 Badlands pack
-2 Whizbang packs
-1 *Golden* Whizbang pack
-2 Tavern tickets
-Epic crystal justice strike
-Harth bartender
There will also be two Whizbang packs during Theorycrafting on Wednesday the 13th as usual - that event starts at 9am PDT on Wednesday and also runs for 24 hours or so.
Community Day this expansion has some drops that we haven't done in the past - but since it's taking place on the actual Anniversary date, it felt important to make sure we held our Battlegrounds and Arena players in mind along with our normal pack drops.
I'm sorry for the error on my part with the incorrect assumption that you'd be able to see these more readily and hopefully this information helps. There will be a blog post on Monday with more information around the 29.0 patch and other things going on next week - keep an eye out for that. Thank you!

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
All the Odyn/Brann Warrior mains are the same people who played Durdle Priest before, and to the prior posters who asked ‘Why doesn’t Priest get reliable win conditions?’

This. This is loving why.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
My counter to that is that, yes, it's frustrating but if you're going to make that deck don't do it for the class that can gain infinite life. That's the really dumb part, because Priest is generally limited against combo decks. Warrior don't give a poo poo.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I did learn the other day that even if you have a stack of armor that legendary that steals health from you will still kill you if you hit zero max health

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Shockeh posted:

All the Odyn/Brann Warrior mains are the same people who played Durdle Priest before, and to the prior posters who asked ‘Why doesn’t Priest get reliable win conditions?’

I just like having the ability to battlecry summon four 8-cost minions. Is that so wrong? 🥺

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Looking at the new DK cards made me realize, they kind of went hard on Deathrattles across the board (not just for DK) this time. Which is certainly a choice, given that this is the expansion that follows up Reno.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
One observation I've noticed is that around the second week of the month, I face some serious try-hard decks in Casual Wild and get flooded with BM emotes. My hypothesis is that these are low-ranked people who run through their star bonuses early, hit a wall of people who beat them, and alleviate their frustration by bringing their most competitive deck to casual. I've noticed it for several months now, with the only exception being November a few days before the Badlands released. Has anyone else noticed this trend? I haven't tracked hard numbers, this is more a qualitative generalization.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I've been running into a lot of Time Warp Mage and Even Totem Shaman and Quest Warlock in Casual lately. You're not imagining it. HOWEVER a lot of people don't have a lot of decks and if they need to complete a quest they're not gonna make something new and interesting.

If you got play 3 Mage games and your only deck is Time Warp and you don't wanna risk losing rank?

Casual Wild is a strange place.

I have been running into shockingly few Dragon Druids lately and that's cool.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Sometimes I accidentally play a tryhard deck in casual if I log in and dont notice I had it set to casual from last time for some random quest. But that wouldn't explain the BM emotes.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I have zero theories on the emotes. I don't have sound on when I play nor do I watch for them.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

Desert Bus posted:

I've been running into a lot of Time Warp Mage and Even Totem Shaman and Quest Warlock in Casual lately. You're not imagining it. HOWEVER a lot of people don't have a lot of decks and if they need to complete a quest they're not gonna make something new and interesting.

If you got play 3 Mage games and your only deck is Time Warp and you don't wanna risk losing rank?

Casual Wild is a strange place.

I have been running into shockingly few Dragon Druids lately and that's cool.

Good points. There's always going to be some tryhard decks in casual, and probably more so in Standard than Wild since people will be practicing newer decks there. It's just a cyclical increase around the second week of a month. I think it was first in January when I realized maybe it had to do with rank reset frustration and the past couple months seem to confirm that.

Most of the time, casual wild is pretty fun and I go against cool meme decks (aside from the Bot times), but something causes there to be that approximately monthly rough patch.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Shockeh posted:

Yes. Yes I am.

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
Yeeeeeeeesss they're reverting Renethal for Wild

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
get your 40-health games in while you can, you freaks

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

wow no unnerf for Denathrius? cowards.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Twitch drops are up by the way

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

so glad renathal is rotating. always disliked that card.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Gwaint posted:

Yeeeeeeeesss they're reverting Renethal for Wild

:woop:

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Hey neat, Badlands achievements will keep giving xp if you complete them after rotation.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

wow no unnerf for Denathrius? cowards.

Indeed

That list of reverts (and cards skipped over for reversion) tells me that they are more scared of cards that potentially enable big burst damage (S’theno, Denathrius, Draka, Astalor, Shockspitter) than any other class of card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Did the Silver Hand Recruits that come out of Mining Casualties always had a chance of looking different than the normal recruit token?