Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Trans activists are fighting against their own cause. A male/female dichotomy is the entire toolset of the patriarchy, and reinforcing the importance of publicly being any specific gender (including non-male/female) only strengthens the system they hate. Anyone that believes gender is a spectrum should be fighting for gender as a whole to be considered as intimate and functionally irrelevant to your professional life as your religion or sexual preferences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
toss all the genders in a blender and hit frappe.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

You don't get it, the real crux of (online) activism is arguing with all the other activists that they're doing the activisms wrong. Then you invent a discourse, some things get said, and now you have more splinter groups of activists.

It's kind of like mitosis if you think about it.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

and with enough discourse one may finally achieve a dialectic

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Sentient Data posted:

Trans activists are fighting against their own cause. A male/female dichotomy is the entire toolset of the patriarchy, and reinforcing the importance of publicly being any specific gender (including non-male/female) only strengthens the system they hate. Anyone that believes gender is a spectrum should be fighting for gender as a whole to be considered as intimate and functionally irrelevant to your professional life as your religion or sexual preferences

I dunno. It's very much like anti racism where you double and triple down on the concept of race as a thing and wind up reinforcing it in a different way. Do you engage with it and fight it out? Or do you try to be blind to it and let it fester? I don't know the line to walk on those things.

Ultimately, as long as things change in a certain direction, even if slowly then it's a win.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Sentient Data posted:

Nah, both have room in queerness, it allows room for contradictions. Queer folks can fight for the rights of people to switch over on the gender binary and for folks to have no gender and for folks to have more genders outside the binary and all of these can coexist, because these are all things which break away from the systems which keep us down. Some people get gender euphoria from transitioning over on the binary, some people get it from breaking out - it's about making room for all of these truths. And the inherent tensions of these contradictions are part of what drive queer theory forward. That one view doesn't negate the other but instead adds layered complexity to these issues, is one of the best parts of being queer.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 11, 2024

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
As long as it's impossible to stop being black, or gay, or trans in public were going to have to acknowledge people are black, or gay, or trans in public conversations and the least we can do is try to use the accepted terms and language for it while going 'hell yeah' instead of pretending you aren't black, gay, or trans.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
you need to shower everyday.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Fighting Elegy posted:

you need to shower everyday.

or what>?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

just as i predicted, dialectic has been achieved

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

just as i predicted, dialectic has been achieved

lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

yes im vegan. yes i eat meat. we exist.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I'm a part-time vegan, or in modern parlance, vegan-fluid.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

when I was vegan i would eat meat when it was offered to me at people's house/parties.

i liked this because it not only allowed me to feel superior to other people, but I could feel superior to other vegans.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm also part time vegan. Like, for example, I'm not eating meat at this very moment.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

How could I forget about this? The greatest thing anyone ever posted.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Delicious animals started it by eating all those innocent plants. Meat is justice!

*slicing into dinner* look at all these nutrients. Ill-gotten no doubt!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

BRJurgis posted:

Delicious animals started it by eating all those innocent plants. Meat is justice!

*slicing into dinner* look at all these nutrients. Ill-gotten no doubt!

The most annoying guy I’ve ever met made this exact “joke” in my first semester English class in college.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Nah, both have room in queerness, it allows room for contradictions. Queer folks can fight for the rights of people to switch over on the gender binary and for folks to have no gender and for folks to have more genders outside the binary and all of these can coexist, because these are all things which break away from the systems which keep us down. Some people get gender euphoria from transitioning over on the binary, some people get it from breaking out - it's about making room for all of these truths. And the inherent tensions of these contradictions are part of what drive queer theory forward. That one view doesn't negate the other but instead adds layered complexity to these issues, is one of the best parts of being queer.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Plants have a life experience too and trying to discount it just because they don't have brains or immediately react to stimulus is short sided.

Finding no value in any moral calculus about plants and animals I limit my meat consumption purely out of self serving greed to live longer which further extends my reign of terror against all living things.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Can confirm that plants have intelligence. Source: did drugs.

naem
May 29, 2011

zedprime posted:

Plants have a life experience too and trying to discount it just because they don't have brains or immediately react to stimulus is short sided.

Finding no value in any moral calculus about plants and animals I limit my meat consumption purely out of self serving greed to live longer which further extends my reign of terror against all living things.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
First hit metal song was in 1966

NO poo poo
It's short, don't say I'm wrong till you listen to it. Astounding
https://youtu.be/fBTT3VPriV8?si=UXv-FloiIgFwJb1p

1:13 in seals the deal

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Tattoos aren't cool any more. They make you look tryhard and cringe

Every 3rd person now has hand and/or neck/face tats because they think it makes them like famous, important, or like a social media star.

Everybody looks like a stickered-up middle school folder

These days when I see someone heavily tatted, 8/10 times I can tell I'm looking at a moneyed cupcake cosplaying rugged

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

ProperCauldron posted:

Every 3rd person now has hand and/or neck/face tats because they think it makes them like famous, important, or like a social media star.

These days when I see someone heavily tatted, 8/10 times I can tell I'm looking at a moneyed cupcake cosplaying rugged

oh for sure gramps

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Batman doesn't fit with the rest of the DCverse and never has :colbert:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

bradzilla posted:

oh for sure gramps

lol

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

ProperCauldron posted:

It's weird seeing cops with full sleeve tats or neck tattoos. Used to be that stuff was an automatic no go for those jobs.

Now there's soccer moms rocking full sleeves.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

ProperCauldron posted:

loving lol

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

ProperCauldron posted:

L take

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i dont like tattoos aesthetically, in general, and am happy i never got any despite coming pretty close several times. being tattooed has to be approaching the majority now. my guess is at least 1/4 of the pop has a tattoo, maybe as much as 1/2? but "tattoos arent cool" and they "make you look tryhard and cringe" is a post for the "poo poo youre too old to understand" thread lol

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

i dont like tattoos aesthetically, in general, and am happy i never got any despite coming pretty close several times. being tattooed has to be approaching the majority now. my guess is at least 1/4 of the pop has a tattoo, maybe as much as 1/2? but "tattoos arent cool" and they "make you look tryhard and cringe" is a post for the "poo poo youre too old to understand" thread lol

Cringe is a little much but tryhard is dead on. People spend thousands (if not tens of thousands)on something that is no more than a fashion statement. It’s not really different from Prada or Gucci. Tattoos used to be special when it was despised but it’s accepted now so who cares.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Yeah, exactly. Who cares? Tattoos are a form of expression and I support people getting them if they want. I don't even have tattoos or want any but I think it's great when people have cool tattoos.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Laser tattoo removal will be a great line of business to invest in. Maybe little mall kiosks. Strip mall parlors.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Tarkus posted:

Yeah, exactly. Who cares? Tattoos are a form of expression and I support people getting them if they want. I don't even have tattoos or want any but I think it's great when people have cool tattoos.

Simple monochrome tattoos look ok I guess: color tattoos look like splotchy bruises from a distance. It’s like gold teeth, you really want to spend all that money on looking like you’re beat to fuckor your teeth are yellow and rotting out of your head? Its less that I have a problem with it and more that I’m incredulous anyone could think it looks good

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

My colour tattoos own and look awesome

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

ProperCauldron posted:

I heard it said that for our grandparents, having a tattoo meant you were probably in the military. For our parents, it meant you had been to prison. For our generation, it means you like something quite a bit.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Meme Emulator posted:

Simple monochrome tattoos look ok I guess: color tattoos look like splotchy bruises from a distance. It’s like gold teeth, you really want to spend all that money on looking like you’re beat to fuckor your teeth are yellow and rotting out of your head? Its less that I have a problem with it and more that I’m incredulous anyone could think it looks good

Looking awful is the point. Anyhow grills don't have to be expensive or permanent. I think they look like absolute deranged rear end but gotta respect the effort to troll normies.

Rad-daddio posted:

It's weird seeing cops with full sleeve tats or neck tattoos. Used to be that stuff was an automatic no go for those jobs.

Now there's soccer moms rocking full sleeves.

Yeah tats are meaningless. I see the squarest least subversive people getting incredibly subversive poo poo just plastered all over their bodies in photographic quality.

Like yo, you went across the Atlantic, killed a man in the Gulags, and then dipped across the equator on the ride home?

Big adventures between graduation and getting your CPA. I'm gatekeeping a little bit here but I don't understand the appeal of covering yourself in that kind of stuff solely for aesthetic reasons. Especially knowing that while a lot of that stuff isn't current the last people to earn some of them are still alive and these are often not the world's biggest risk takers in other aspects of their lives.

Like what happens when you're traveling across borders and you have to explain that you're an idiotic American and not actually a former commando and mafia don?

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I don’t think of tattoos as trying to make anyone look particularly tough anymore. It’s a purely aesthetic choice without a lick of transgression left and I think that’s ok too.