Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
naw im still in for the jokes but im not happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

By the way it's been bothering me for years: Of all the props on the set of Um Actually, the only one I can't figure out what's wrong with is the Catan board over Trapp's shoulder. Does anyone know what the error is?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
That anyone would play Catan more than once.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Neito posted:

By the way it's been bothering me for years: Of all the props on the set of Um Actually, the only one I can't figure out what's wrong with is the Catan board over Trapp's shoulder. Does anyone know what the error is?

A Catan board won't stand up like that?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

There's no desert tile

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
The catan layout shown on set is missing the desert tile.

Edit: drat

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

inthesto posted:

The facelift for Um Actually is great

e: I bought The Disruptors and watched it. Really good movie, and I'm glad I got to see Grant's acting chops on display in a longer piece of media

How tight was the framing on Grant's face?

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Xand_Man posted:

There's no desert tile

MrQueasy posted:

The catan layout shown on set is missing the desert tile.

Edit: drat

Oh poo poo! You didn’t say “um, actually”

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

gently caress

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

laughed really hard at gorgug's angry "do you have a warrant?"

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006

eke out posted:

Same here, that was great. It had similar energy and delivery as "who do you know in this room right now?" from Starstruck.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

eke out posted:

that had me rolling

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I notice this season has been way less formulaic than in the past, there used to be an almost perfect alternation between roleplay episodes and combat episodes and here we've had multiple combats split across episodes and multiple roleplay episodes in a row.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I like it. Me and a friend are watching together and the extremely long Night Yorb fight at the start put us both off, but the balance after that has been fantastic

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I like it. Me and a friend are watching together and the extremely long Night Yorb fight at the start put us both off, but the balance after that has been fantastic

the saving grace for the night yorb fight was how absolutely done with it the PCs were as well. that made their whole tired as hell bit land perfectly

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I finished watching "A Court of Fey and Flowers," which was very dull and pointless, and I started on Neverafter. I'm a few minutes from the end of episode two, and I am confused about why this season is twenty episodes and not two. I think it's safe to say that fight was way too overtuned, even if it is supposed to be the 'horror' season.

EDIT: From the Neverafter Episode 3 Adventuring Party: Brennan said that there's no universe in which no one goes down, but if things go well, at the end it might be medicine checks. But I don't see how that's possible given that pulling the glass shard didn't dis-animate the constructs. Because (1) there were twice as many constructs as PC's, (2) the constructs had higher HP than the PC's so that it wasn't feasible to kill them, and (3)the constructs would kill stabilized 0 HP PC's. I don't see how the PC's could retreat from that fight while carrying the inevitably downed members.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 9, 2024

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I finished watching "A Court of Fey and Flowers," which was very dull and pointless, and I started on Neverafter. I'm a few minutes from the end of episode two, and I am confused about why this season is twenty episodes and not two. I think it's safe to say that fight was way too overtuned, even if it is supposed to be the 'horror' season.

neverafter is billed as the horror season but, like much of the horror genre, that is just a mask for existentialist fantasy

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Ooh! A bouncy castle!

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Neverafter would have been scarier if the cast had segregated the comedy bits more deliberately. In Fantasy High Sophomore Year everybody respected Kalina, but it seemed like any NPC in Neverafter was fair game to be the butt of a joke. The tone of the season suffered as a result.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

absolute s-tier comedy this week i don't know, man

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

EDIT: From the Neverafter Episode 3 Adventuring Party: Brennan said that there's no universe in which no one goes down, but if things go well, at the end it might be medicine checks. But I don't see how that's possible given that pulling the glass shard didn't dis-animate the constructs. Because (1) there were twice as many constructs as PC's, (2) the constructs had higher HP than the PC's so that it wasn't feasible to kill them, and (3)the constructs would kill stabilized 0 HP PC's. I don't see how the PC's could retreat from that fight while carrying the inevitably downed members.

Fey and Flowers is at the very least cute. Without spoiling anything Neverafter is the weakest season D20's ever had. When Brennan gets around to explaining how its world works, it's too obtuse to connect with. I saw what he was going for, but it gets increasingly hard to care when the setting is so untethered. Just gets progressively worse each episode unfortunately.

There's some wonderful moments in it, and I'm glad they swung for the fences with it. Gave us Orange Hat, so it is a net good.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Neverafter is kind of messy as a whole, "Fairytales but scary" and "Fairytales but meta" are both well-trod ground and I don't think it ever completely gels together. However the bits are hilarious, the late-night mania of the Adventuring Party episodes is incredible, and I really liked some of the characters.

When I was younger I had some vivid nightmares where I would come to the slow realization that I was 1) in a horror setting and 2) in a horror story and that I had no actual free will because no longer a person or even a character but an archetype and I was bound to the rules of the horror story even in my own brain and the cognitive dissonance woke me up. So I really liked the Evil Stepmother's schtick. Her incredulous "I don't even have my own name" really hits me. I don't care about the fairies or princess I just want 20 episodes of her eating her way out of stories.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Neverafter is better than CoC.

Especially if I’m judging off of “did the tone land with me?”

Edit: To expound a bit more, I don’t find any of the main cast to be particularly talented dramatic actors (at least in the dome.) So having Brennan attempt to do serious and be countered with comedy is preferable to the others attempting to also do serious.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 9, 2024

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i liked some of the early vibes of neverafter but the characters taking a piss out of huge existential threats and brennan leaning into it did make it hard to take certain villainous characters seriously

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Edit: To expound a bit more, I don’t find any of the main cast to be particularly talented dramatic actors (at least in the dome.) So having Brennan attempt to do serious and be countered with comedy is preferable to the others attempting to also do serious.

I loved CoC and I think Lou knocked it out of the park that season (and in Unsleeping City for that matter)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

emily and lou are definitely the only talented actors among them

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
On the other hand Shibhon's speech to the American Dream at the end on Unsleeping City shows she has chops top.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

On the other hand Shibhon's speech to the American Dream at the end on Unsleeping City shows she has chops top.

yeah but she cant do voices

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Siobhan jaysis

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brennan mentioned after EXU that he's learned it's really hard to maintain a horror high tension level for more than a handful of sessions and neverafter kinda shows that. I'd like to see another go at horror with a four-episode shot.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I listen to Call of Cthulhu podcasts a lot and even in the one shots the players are usually laughing more than in D&D shows. Tabletop horror tends to not be all that horrible OOC, unless the GM is going out of their way trying to make poo poo hosed up and disturbing, which is not everyone's cuppa.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Fighting words. Said it everytime it comes up itt, but the first half of CoC is still among my favorite sections of any D20. It is astounding how well they land the GoT influence, and I'd argue up until a midway point that they never quite recover from it's legitimately gripping watching the family make their way back to Candia.

I think one HUGE difference to me is that in CoC you can tell the players are invested in their characters completely in a way I don't think they reach in Neverafter. Part of that is probably a stakes thing, easier to lock in wanting justice for this family who's had the world turn against them than "these fictional storybook characters that keep dying are fighting to not die for real this time but they're also stories and there's multiple versions of them so...". They go in super giddy and by episode four or so it's already so much more serious. Rules.

Can't defend the second half. It's still ok, but the weight gets dropped.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Can't defend the second half. It's still ok, but the weight gets dropped.

That’s just the GoT influence. Unparalleled commitment to the bit

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRjIiAzECSc

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Realistically, if they were going to do a horror season in the first place, the Intrepid Heroes were not the crew to do it with, if only because all 6 of them are professional comedians. Every time one of them was genuinely spooked, somebody did a bit and the tension snapped. Even Mulligan blew up his own spot a couple of times. That's my biggest point of contention with Neverafter as a whole.

You'd really have wanted to run it with a custom crew of people with horror chops: Erika Ishii, Taliesin Jaffe, Iyengar, Luis Carazzo, and maybe some actors or writers from the LA scene. Horror only works if you're willing to take it deadly seriously, especially in a format like a TTRPG.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
neverafter shoulda 1) decided if it wanted to do "fairytale horror" or "meta horror" and 2) not have the party tpk 2 sessions in and then have a massive lore dump that tells the characters we've barely gotten to know that they are immortal and infinite and everything they knew is tiny and insignificant

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Farg posted:

neverafter shoulda 1) decided if it wanted to do "fairytale horror" or "meta horror" and 2) not have the party tpk 2 sessions in and then have a massive lore dump that tells the characters we've barely gotten to know that they are immortal and infinite and everything they knew is tiny and insignificant

I can’t believe Neverafter predicted Starfield!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Game Changer tonight, and it's "Sam Says III" :holy:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

YggiDee posted:

Game Changer tonight, and it's "Sam Says III" :holy:

Who gets to go on Mr Reich's Wild Ride this time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Who gets to go on Mr Reich's Wild Ride this time?

according to the trailer it's vic, jacob, and lou