Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

Juul-Whip posted:

im pretty high but i thought i heard joey say "you're not supposed to show that" just as they rolled the pep boys footage. then later they dropped the news that mark had a terrible accident
lol no they announced mark's accident like 30 minutes before they showed the pep boys footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Pappyland posted:

Might’ve missed it, but why would he care about the Electric Sun trial being reopened?

Tim cares because he killed 20 teenagers.
G cares because he wants Tim's lithium land, he's senile, and his "kids" work on OCATC

Also I think hei points are canonically worth money somehow and G. was laundering money with them.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Pappyland posted:

Might’ve missed it, but why would he care about the Electric Sun trial being reopened?

could be to protect Tim since he's one of G.'s 'goons', could also be that investigating Tim might lead them to the Amatos who may have some skeletons in the closet

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

That DICK! posted:

my complaint is almost the opposite, it feels like they want to have longrunning plots with payoff but it doesn't seem like they have strong ideas about what to do and it all just takes so looong now. Tim had a baby one season, it died the next, and two seasons later he was on trial for murdering 20 EDM festival goers in a desert. ah well. love da show
i think theres a difference in energy where before they were always potentially filming the last season of the show as everything associated with adult swim was always hanging by a thread. now they have their own direct subscription business model and as long as enough fans demand it they can keep doing the show

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
my read on the situation is they just kept pushing OC to be as crazy and expansive as possible thinking it was just a silly side thing until they decided to just go for the Trial thing which sort of inexplicably got the show a lot of attention which I'm guessing convinced them to find ways to keep it going a while

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

That DICK! posted:

my complaint is almost the opposite, it feels like they want to have longrunning plots with payoff but it doesn't seem like they have strong ideas about what to do and it all just takes so looong now. Tim had a baby one season, it died the next, and two seasons later he was on trial for murdering 20 EDM festival goers in a desert. ah well. love da show

Well that’s kinda the point. They’ve been doing this the whole time — Tim gets interested in something only to immediately move on from it. It’s more like a cartoon where everything can just reset whenever the joke wears thin. That’s what’s brilliant about it. It’s more about watching a fake gutter display get cleaned and Big Bird showing up.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

In hindsight it was a bit naive of me to think they’d give a clear answer to the identity of the murderer.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

umm they literally showed a picture of him

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tim is constantly reinventing himself and unable to stick to a personality. Gregg is ever the same, unable to deviate from his standard behavior

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Sierra Madre posted:

Honestly, the ending felt weaker than desired. It didn't feel like they let the consequences of Tim's confession breathe, it just got shoved into the credits sequence and everyone could only mill around for the last two minutes.

that's kinda how this show works though, it still presents itself as a real thing and not a sitcom so a lot of the real poo poo happens between the lines and often gets revealed in the next season. like Joey taking Kaili to Mexico seems like a pretty huge plot point but you'd have to be pretty eagle-eyed to catch it

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

JAMOOOL posted:

that's kinda how this show works though, it still presents itself as a real thing and not a sitcom so a lot of the real poo poo happens between the lines and often gets revealed in the next season. like Joey taking Kaili to Mexico seems like a pretty huge plot point but you'd have to be pretty eagle-eyed to catch it

I don't think it was intentional (???) but Tim swiped on the phone and you could see there were about 9 total pictures on it, all of them from the trip. That's such a weird alibi building detail, but also a "we need a phone to show on stage" detail.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

They’ve always had a tendency to just drop information very lightly without drawing too much attention to it. I mean people picked up on Toni going off the wagon tonight too, but it’s not like they made a huge deal of it. But it’s a subtle touch if you remember her character arch and realize what this means.

manglar
Jun 25, 2023
I love On Cinema's absurd soap opera. I think Season 14 was a little weak in terms of episodes but that's in comparison to 13 and 12, which were bonkers and which weren't on a smushed schedule due to the writers' strike. 14 didn't have anything as insane as Grain Water or RJ's Shakes (or a non-Oscar special), but that's okay since I thought the frenzied bizarre pay-off on Oscars night was great. I think I can appreciate this lower-key mystery plotline more in retrospect.

I've been thinking a bit about this interview Tim did with the Believer in 2019:

quote:

TH: No, we didn’t anticipate that audience participation, but we recognized it kind of early and thought this was really cool, and we could feed that more. This world exists online, beyond us, on Twitter. I can’t remember when exactly that clicked for us, but it’s incredibly exciting and it inspired us to realize we could go all kinds of places with this show. That essentially we were writing a novel or something. We could talk about things happening without actually having to go shoot that scene. We could just refer to the fact that I was in Jackson Hole and got beat up by Nazis, and the audience invests in that as part of the narrative. The more complicated it gets, the more it doesn’t change, like a soap opera.
edit, a bit more from a bit further in:

quote:

TH: We did always just make stuff for us, to make us laugh, to make our group of people laugh, without a lot of thought. But after you make stuff and you see what people respond to, you think about what you want to do again because it’s popular, and what you want to destroy because it’s popular.

BLVR: Like what?

TH: Like “Beaver Boys” would be a good example. That was something that was really popular that was not my favorite thing, but people loved it, so I intentionally said, “Let’s not do that thirty thousand times.”

manglar fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 11, 2024

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

I mean if indeed Joey is the killer it's certainly a burner phone so that makes sense

my read on the situation is that the Amatos are indeed a criminal enterprise, they found Tim attractive because his show/ranch/side projects/HEI points thing made him an ideal guy to launder money through, something which they probably were trying to make clear to him without incriminating themselves but Tim is so dumb he doesn't get the message. in fact Tim probably doesn't even get they're gangsters so Amato's offer to "take care of it" is something he doesn't really understand. problem is Matt Newman was probably suspicious of Tim all along and was waiting for something like this to happen which is why the encounter (which was maybe just meant to scare Toni?) went south so quickly. also maybe explains why the other side of the family didn't want him there (plus, his Discord pal alludes to it). as for the Amatos I think G. is probably going senile and Joey is the guy really running things. what exactly happened with Amato's son is kind of looming over this whole thing too, though I suppose it's not really his son

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/william_bottini/status/1767007981864890566?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

That DICK! posted:

well, after several hours of enthusiastically posting about that, i gotta say, it was not the best, and potentially the worst

Kart Barfunkel posted:

This Oscar special was an easy five bags. Looking forward to more sequels of equal or greater length.

agree w both, but it was nice to see tim and gregg kinda stick up for one another and then immediately get their asses whooped

E: mark pork lives

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 11, 2024

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://www.heinetwork.tv/article/mark-prokcs-update/

quote:

Counter to incorrect and duplicitis information, actor and impressionist Marks Procksh is fine.

There was no accident with a bus or two.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Salt Fish posted:

I don't think it was intentional (???) but Tim swiped on the phone and you could see there were about 9 total pictures on it, all of them from the trip. That's such a weird alibi building detail, but also a "we need a phone to show on stage" detail.

It was wild that there was a "Germany Unit" in the credits just to do the little Chaplin's Chili bit

manglar posted:

I've been thinking a bit about this interview Tim did with the Believer in 2019:

edit, a bit more from a bit further in:

lmao I love Beaver Boys

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I was really curious how valuable a thing Tim lost his poo poo over and looked up prices for various 2018 trans ams, and holy poo poo those are valuable cars

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

curious what Kaili's role is in all this, whether her marriage to G. Amato's other "son" was real or if she was involved with Joey the whole time. I think it may be possible she's innocent and that part of the deal with Tim is that she gets to do these "Hollywood Minute" segments, in fact maybe that's part of the reason they get involved with Tim in the first place, as a way of making things 'right' after having her husband killed.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

also was G. Amato at the end there the first time someone explicitly called out the shoddiness of the production? (outside of Tim and Gregg needling each other)

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Loved the special this year and thought it had some incredible jokes spread throughout the whole thing. I actually like that this year and last season have been a bit more subdued because I think it's beneficial to have some breaks between the bigger crazier stuff. Like they could have gone bigger with the impact of Tim's bizarre sleep schedule and sunlight routine but I'm glad they didn't because it would have just felt like a retread of the grain water stuff. This year felt like it leaned a lot more on jokes that revolved around smaller character moments without having to have any big set pieces and I thought it worked well.

Also, huge respect to Joe for that shout out to Robert Z'Dar. That was a genuinely nice moment and it seemed like it was unscripted.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I really liked the murder mystery part, I was looking at that video for any kind of hint. In the end, it was discovered that it was filmed in the same drive way as "Ride with the Devil" based on the exterior trees being exactly the same which is pretty funny, but I'm sure unintentional.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Flying Zamboni posted:

Also, huge respect to Joe for that shout out to Robert Z'Dar.

From?

Maniac cop, one two and three

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

JAMOOOL posted:

From?

And?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

JAMOOOL posted:

From?

i think you mean 2S and 3S

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

derp posted:

i think you mean 2S and 3S

We had some technical issues during the PQRS segment, did Gregg explain what the Q is for?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
removing the moustache from the chaplins logo killllled me hahaha

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Chakan posted:

We had some technical issues during the PQRS segment, did Gregg explain what the Q is for?

i think its PQ for prequel? not sure otherwise

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Cyberkidz!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Cicadalek posted:

Cyberkidz!

okay

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

fun revelation from the OHL Patreon apparently the audience was so good at being stonefaced that Tim thought everything was bombing

fwiw I'm pretty sure one of them was losing it at the Big Bird segment

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I love that Tim had a mental breakdown and implicated a murder conspiracy to prevent the reopening of the Electric Sun Festival case, burned all his bridges and got his rear end kicked over a 2018 beat up dodge charger

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

derp posted:

removing the moustache from the chaplins logo killllled me hahaha

I did not notice and that is an incredible joke

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

robot roll call posted:

I did not notice and that is an incredible joke

Lol hell yeah, I noticed it was gone but the implications didn't occur to me until now

Thought it was just some alternative appearance he'd used that I didn't know about or something

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
a great moment right at the start when tim and kaili are showing all the booths, gregg asks the girl at the amatocon booth 'has any of this sold'

so many split second moments like this were so funny and easy to miss look at her face lollll

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

btw just wanna point out that Matt shot whoever wound up killing him so it almost certainly wasn't Joey himself

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

JAMOOOL posted:

btw just wanna point out that Matt shot whoever wound up killing him so it almost certainly wasn't Joey himself

perhaps he was in mexico recovering from being shot, he was gone for a good amount of time and very cagey about it

also just realized there’s a reason he loves The Godfather so much

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

robot roll call posted:

also just realized there’s a reason he loves The Godfather so much

yeah it's about family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006