Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
whenever anyone mentions antarctica i am required by law to barge in and loudly announce that i've been there. three times in fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
I'm kind of jealous, I've always thought it'd be cool to work there

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

SixteenShells posted:

I'm kind of jealous, I've always thought it'd be cool to work there

it's not just cool, it's downright cold

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
We'll see about that

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Stereotype posted:

I've literally been to Antarctica, it was nice.

Same. Was nice to see it while I could.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it's not just cool, it's downright cold

Meh, it's nice during the summer as long as the sun's out. I mean it's still below freezing, but 25-30F instead of -40 like it is in the winter.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Crain posted:

Same. Was nice to see it while I could.

Meh, it's nice during the summer as long as the sun's out. I mean it's still below freezing, but 25-30F instead of -40 like it is in the winter.

thanks for fact checking my joke

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00376-024-3378-5
This one has a lot of cool graphs!

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
The upper right corner of the stratification change chart appears to also be blowing up the data’s stratification.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Lmao this sea surface temperature chart looks like it's going exponential

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

thanks for fact checking my joke

Sorry, I'm dumb.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Stereotype posted:

whenever anyone mentions antarctica i am required by law to barge in and loudly announce that i've been there. three times in fact

you’re the Thing aren’t you

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

mags posted:

you’re the Thing aren’t you

Nice try, the Thing.

mags
May 30, 2008

Microplastics posted:

Nice try, the Thing.

Nice try, the Thing.

mags has issued a correction as of 21:39 on Mar 11, 2024

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

lotsa intercontinental tourists itt smh

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

*lib voice*

we need to encourage carbon offsets because the antarctic needs fewer cronebergs, and more icebergs

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
getting more pissed every day at the idea of mowing my lawn in December

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Flowers For Algeria posted:

This thread is all about masquerading as morally superior while carefully hiding away any and all details on your international travel adventures, your abhorrent lifestyle practices, and how many children you've produced.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

sorry sorry Antarctica was on my bucket list

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Without actual measurements this poo poo just isn't real. Based on self reported emissions from industry, offset by shonky negative carbon projects, and doesn't include the armed forces.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

mistermojo posted:

it would be cool to live on a spaceship. or so I imagine, I'm sure it would actually suck. depends on how much of a protagonist I'm being in this fantasy

Read Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson for some fictional lol on that.

fanfic insert posted:

top headline in sweden is about nato ascension, into someone dying at age 92, to something about terrorism, to royals, to a swedish journalist who got killed in afghanistan way back when(kind of shocking they have this up today considering item #1) to some sports to something else, something about Ukraine into something about Gaza

further down is a short piece on greta thunberg and some activists blocking the entry into parliament, she says they're doing it because of a planetary emergency. police allowed them to remain and redirected to other entryways and said things have been calm and respectful.

lmao

My stupid island has a friend. :cheerdoge:

Salt Fish posted:

Kelly's Endurance was worth reading all on its own because it got me to read Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing which is among the best books I've ever read. It's truly insane and we flat out don't have stories like that anymore where 28 dudes decide to cross Antarctica on foot just to show off how badass they are.

The TV mini-series of this with Kenneth Branagh was badass.

Stereotype posted:

I've literally been to Antarctica, it was nice.

Get back in your frozen grave, Thing.

But also, that's hella cool. I almost joined the British Antarctic Survey. Then I remembered I was a goon and stayed inside.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Hubbert posted:

This thread is all about masquerading as morally superior while carefully hiding away any and all details on your international travel adventures, your abhorrent lifestyle practices, and how many children you've produced.

I am literally lusting after a new watch named Anthropocene. I do not need anymore watches, and yet, the one that encapsulates the cryosphere dying and conspicuous consumerism combined is haunting me.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Hubbert posted:

You leave my giant stock pile of Campagnolo out of this!

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
I disagree, proud to announce I dispose all my cigarette butts thoughtfully, returning them to nature. I put immense effort into this, sometimes I will smoke a whole pack just to finish a mural of a baby being strangled by a diesel engine

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Hubbert posted:

I eat a lot of Taco Bell and plan to go back to Africa sometime in the next couple years. Ethiopian Airlines flies mostly Boeings though so I'll probably die and relinquish the last of my carbon.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

starkebn posted:

Without actual measurements this poo poo just isn't real. Based on self reported emissions from industry, offset by shonky negative carbon projects, and doesn't include the armed forces.

Those numbers are likely accurate including the emissions drop over the last 2 decades. The military might be better too because we are not fighting major wars in Iraq or Afghanistan. But it's hardly good news or even encouraging. I can think of some factors that would have caused such a reduction. First coal use has really dropped, being largely replaced with natural gas. Our heavy industry has been hollowed out, and gasoline engines have become much more efficient.

With regard to coal vs natural gas, the easy reduction has already happened, to replace natural gas with renewables it means figuring out storage and completely redesigning the grid. That will be harder and take longer vs switching one fossil fuel for another. Our hollowed out heavy industry makes the US numbers look good but all we did was offshore our emissions to the global south. Finally our ICE vehicles efficiency got squandered by everything getting so much bigger and heavier. We should be ashamed that we plateaued at 5 billion tons. It's still too high and further drops will be politically harder and more painful.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Hubbert posted:

Uhm sweaty that's cringe. That's some virgin poo poo. Taking a plane to Antarctica is just an ineffable part of human nature. Life isn't a series of easy moral choices and real life is complicated. When your wife (who you have sex with) asks if you want to go to Antarctica together because she loves you and wants to experience this joyful experience with you, you can't let your high-minded esoteric beliefs prevent you from your happiness.

Will the trip to Antarctica be experiencing happiness in 20 years? Let's not think about that.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
i mean, i wouldn't just... visit for shits and giggles. i'd only go if i had a scientific reason to be there. that is not a land for humans to exist in for no reason

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

SixteenShells posted:

i mean, i wouldn't just... visit for shits and giggles. i'd only go if i had a scientific reason to be there. that is not a land for humans to exist in for no reason

OMG stop making GBS threads up the thread :jerkbag:

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Hubbert posted:

this thread is a wake/celebration of life for the soon-to-be deceased biosphere

some people like to be somber when contemplating their inevitable mortality

other people like to be blasted

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Geeze guys what do you want me to do? I accidentally bought tickets to Antarctica. That's not my fault.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I'm not having any kids so I can have all their resources for myself and not feel bad about it. That's two lifetimes of steak just for me

mags
May 30, 2008

Hubbert posted:

I have 7 kids and we just returned from visiting family at a cousin’s destination wedding in the Alps. We chartered a private jet. had a stop in Palma de Mallorca for a few days at the beach. it was really hot for February but it made eating out al fresco really pleasant. wine prices have definitely gone up.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
*using a big bucket to shift my industry to another continent*

Our numbers are looking up (down)!

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
let he who has not spent a few seasons in the 'ctica throw the first stone

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

mags posted:

I have 7 kids and we just returned from visiting family at a cousin’s destination wedding in the Alps. We chartered a private jet. had a stop in Palma de Mallorca for a few days at the beach. it was really hot for February but it made eating out al fresco really pleasant. wine prices have definitely gone up.

I have one kid I give treats to in an effort to make-up for the fact that they won't get to grow up. At least I'm not as bad as this guy amirite.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
thinking about taking a cruise to Antartica in an effort to destroy it faster

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
the only thing worse than having kids and traveling is thinking about having kids and traveling
edit: this is why all my children are accidents, and why my secretary manages my calendar

OIL PANIC has issued a correction as of 23:57 on Mar 11, 2024

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Stereotype posted:

did protestors delay that trip too?

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
desire is the root of all suffering qed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
the burning man thread was p funny

did i miss the antarctica trips thread