Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Well, I'm glad I followed up with HR after all. Apparently I did get good feedback from the tech screen, but the feedback got lost in the new interview scheduling system. So they're moving me forward and I'll be doing loop interviews sometime next week. So now I get to enjoy the brief swing from "bummed out that it failed" to "excited that there's still a chance" before several days of "anxious about how I'll do in the loops".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

LanceHunter posted:

Well, I'm glad I followed up with HR after all. Apparently I did get good feedback from the tech screen, but the feedback got lost in the new interview scheduling system. So they're moving me forward and I'll be doing loop interviews sometime next week. So now I get to enjoy the brief swing from "bummed out that it failed" to "excited that there's still a chance" before several days of "anxious about how I'll do in the loops".

Dont forget a to doubt your skills even though one of your future coworkers makes more than you while seemingly only generating more bugs/work for the team.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

2nd change of ceo in 8 months, 15% of people laid off, absolutely no long-term vision. time to job search.

i just applied to snap, inc. will probably apply to some other large companies. i do not know any other sorting algorithms than bubble sort (i just use the sort function, lol), how do i prepare technical interviews and how much effort will i need?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
most places will no longer require you to Just Know how a mergesort works but being shown/described an algorithm and having someone ask you the Big O efficiency of it is common.

poo poo like reversing a linked list is still common.

Questions around error handling abound - poo poo like “do you return a 200 with an error message or a 500?” and also in what case might each be valid?

if its front end dev you can expect questions about react, css and/or why to never use new.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

i applied for a "augmented reality engineer" position which involves kotlin, javas, c# and c++, i guess that matters

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I don't think you should apply for jobs in low enough quantity that you remember specifics of each one before any response from them or whatever, if you're cold applying. Warm is different, but presumably it's not warm

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

its been said many times, but it bears repeating: dont make your first interiew in years be for a job you really want. For your first interviews, you should be applying to jobs you have no intention of taking. Of course, this only works in a job-rich environment like the bayarrhea or east cost or seattle or whatever so if you're not there, idk, do your best idk

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
still unemployed woooo

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

rotor posted:

its been said many times, but it bears repeating: dont make your first interiew in years be for a job you really want. For your first interviews, you should be applying to jobs you have no intention of taking. Of course, this only works in a job-rich environment like the bayarrhea or east cost or seattle or whatever so if you're not there, idk, do your best idk

I'm currently in the process of making this mistake. After months of brushing off recruiters because I "wasnt ready yet" a recruiter reached out with a job I'd actually like so I'm currently going through the fun of being anxious about the things I'm saying in these calls. TBH I still might not take it if they offer the bottom of the range, but it definitely makes it more stressful to be rusty and want the job. Don't make my mistake.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

rotor posted:

that or have four leaf clovers coming out your rear end and get a job offer thirty minutes after the interview

I think I burned one of my extra lives on that one

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

rotor posted:

poo poo like reversing a linked list is still common.

e.g. a VP will still know how to do this if they want to see you write code

cheese eats mouse posted:

still unemployed woooo

im soooooo jealous

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

cheese eats mouse posted:

still unemployed woooo

livin the dream

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
ive got two years of cash to float too. will last longer if we downsize to a 1br apartment. only fixed cost we can really cut.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
as someone who's been unemployed for like 10 months at this point and doesn't really give a poo poo, i can confirm it owns. something similar happened in my mid-20s when i quit my job 'cause of burnout, except i had a whole lot of mental health poo poo at that time and that led to 3 years of depression and not working. ended up burning through pretty much all of my savings, but in the end it gave me time to get some stuff figured out so it probably was for the best

this time though i'm actually doing good, but i haven't figured out what i want to do next. i sure as gently caress aren't going back to games unless i work for myself, which is also what i said last time except it didn't work out and i ended up in games anyways. only problem is, i'm rusty at basically everything that's useful outside of games which kinda sucks cause my job before my last was mostly distributed systems, databases, server-side programming, and all that stuff, which i was fairly decent at and which was definitely useful for other industries, but everything i know about that is outdated by 10 years now. i hear they've got them newfangled "container" things now? back in my days we had VMs and physical machines and we liked it like that

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

if you're going for a software dev position rather than IT then it's not as big of a deal as you might think, it's the fundamentals that are important/people care about. Maybe do some self-study if you see it as a requirement in whatever positions you are going for

I've heard the dev job market sucks right now though, so it might take a while to get a good lead

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

rotor posted:

its been said many times, but it bears repeating: dont make your first interiew in years be for a job you really want. For your first interviews, you should be applying to jobs you have no intention of taking.

I made this mistake. I made it to the end of an interview loop with a startup that was at about 100 employees, was in the process of becoming profitable, and had a product that made sense (as in, there's clearly customers that will pay money for this and there are clear improvements over competitors) and seemed like it'd be interesting to work on. The only interview that I didn't feel amazing about was the one with the CTO and I think that's the one that did me in :smith:

rotor posted:

job-rich environment like the bayarrhea or east cost or seattle or whatever

Private Speech posted:

I've heard the dev job market sucks right now though, so it might take a while to get a good lead

I'm in Seattle and from what I can tell the job market is decent and seems to have somewhat recovered after all the layoffs last year for senior-level+ positions at bigger companies. For the last ~2 months that I've been looking around my experience has been that I get interviews for jobs related to my web services/infra work experience, but I just finished my masters (part-time, so no work gap in my resume) and that's stoked my interest in moving to other areas of software (and also I'd like to not have to be on-call every 8 weeks for big tech co web infrastructure).

Even for internal roles I've applied to, my resume gets binned a vast majority of the time before I even make it to a phone screen and I'm pretty sure it's because the best things I can put on my resume are not directly related to the role (two types of roles I'm looking at are compilers and security - basically I like static analysis). The other issue is that the abundance of senior-level positions also seems to apply to these other types of roles I'm searching for and I haven't seen a ton of entry/mid-level roles. ~7 YOE making a bunch of web poo poo talk to other web poo poo doesn't seem to really cut it in terms of getting passed the automated resume screen when a compiler role wants something like ~5 YOE of C++, x86_64, and ARM (which I really only have experience doing in my masters program and my undergrad years before that).

Would it be a bad idea to list grad school coursework on my resume and just make it 3-4 pages long? I know the thread advice is to keep resumes to 1, maybe 2 pages but I feel like I'm probably getting binned by resume bots for not having all the right keywords for the job. Basically I feel like I have to choose 2 of:
  • 1-2 page resume
  • Include all my strongest skills and work experience
  • List the relevant skills for the role I most recently used in grad school

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

TBH maybe I also just need to be more patient, from what I've seen in this thread before, 2 months of actively applying and actually getting some interviews in that time isn't really that long of a search or that low of a success rate.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

time for me to start interviewing. i think I am resolving to go back to the individual contributor path after being an engineering mgr for a stint. my values regarding leadership do not align with the industry's

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rotor posted:

good advice

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

KoRMaK posted:

time for me to start interviewing. i think I am resolving to go back to the individual contributor path after being an engineering mgr for a stint. my values regarding leadership do not align with the industry's

i'd be interested to read about your experiences doing the leadership thing if that's a post you feel like writing

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i would love to but i should be very careful about what i say.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 11, 2024

forum enthusiast
Aug 12, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

[...]

Would it be a bad idea to list grad school coursework on my resume and just make it 3-4 pages long? I know the thread advice is to keep resumes to 1, maybe 2 pages but I feel like I'm probably getting binned by resume bots for not having all the right keywords for the job. Basically I feel like I have to choose 2 of:
  • 1-2 page resume
  • Include all my strongest skills and work experience
  • List the relevant skills for the role I most recently used in grad school

are you sending the same resume for different types of job? might be worth having a compilers-specific, security-specific, etc version with the right keywords. also referrals will at least get you past the automated screener if thats an option.

honestly, when i read candidate resumes i only look at the first page in any real depth. sometimes i see a 5-10 page long resume and i couldn't tell you what's beyond the first header.

specifically on seattle security hiring, from what i can see it is still a bit iffy for senior/staff but definitely better than last year. happy to chat if you have specific questions or such.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

if you're going for a software dev position rather than IT then it's not as big of a deal as you might think, it's the fundamentals that are important/people care about. Maybe do some self-study if you see it as a requirement in whatever positions you are going for

yeah i'm definitely on the software dev side of things and that's where i want to stay. maybe devops, i'm sorta decent at that too and i got flown out to mountain view for on-site interviews a couple times for sre-swe positions like 8 years ago, before my last job. both times i was told i was right at the cutoff threshold; the second time i went through a couple more interviews locally, then got told i was still just shy of a pass, but maybe they could try to get me something outside the bay area where it's harder to get people, but that didn't work out in the end. maybe i dodged a bullet on that one though; they were considering sending me to pit's burg of all places. then again i got dragged back into gamedev instead so who's to say what's worse. saved me from having to deal with moving to the us so there's that at least

another issue is that now that i've tasted the forbidden fruit of remote work for a few years, i'm not stepping into an office ever again unless i get dragged in kicking and screaming or i get additional paid vacation time equal to the time i waste commuting because gently caress that. so that eliminates a lot of potential employers

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
i reneged on a previously accepted offer - giving vague reasons - and the recruiter now wants to call to discuss "what changed on my end."

just to be sure, this would be entirely for the recruiter's benefit and it's in my best interest to say no and give no further information right? assuming im not aiming to be recruited at this company again

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah you’re definitely burning a bridge there and you only have to provide whatever information you feel like providing. you can ghost them if you want. be careful with this though because this industry is smaller than you think. as long as you don’t make this a habit it shouldn’t be a big deal. but if it’s no sweat off your back it can’t hurt to offer professional courtesy if you can either

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lord fifth posted:

i reneged on a previously accepted offer - giving vague reasons - and the recruiter now wants to call to discuss "what changed on my end."

just to be sure, this would be entirely for the recruiter's benefit and it's in my best interest to say no and give no further information right? assuming im not aiming to be recruited at this company again

why did you reneg

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

depends on your reason for bailing. It probably doesnt serve your interests. The one place I'd do this is if I was declining facebook or twitter or something and I could get a chance to very clearly state that I'm passing on it because i find their practices immoral or something - then thats a tiny data point for them that they need to change. But other than something that, I dont see why you'd bother, unless you're interested in a counteroffer, which it doesnt sound like you are.

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

why did you reneg

i got an offer from a shop that fits my early career interests better and does more for my resume

im getting the sense that i should be polite in declining but not call and not say "im working at xyz company instead." im not interested in ever applying to this place again, it's definitely a good place to work but it's kind of a meme, has dubious profitability, and doesn't offer a 401k match or great pay

thanks all

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you say "i went with another offer" and don't mention where, even if pressed, if you really wanna take that call (very much a thiscouldhavebeenanemail call)

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
i do not want to take the call. the recruiter went to my university so i feel like im being so not a bro

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

i'd probably just send a quick email saying I went with another offer, and ignore anything else. like 2 minutes to send a short message is basically free, but any further effort is dumb and pointless

bort
Mar 13, 2003

the recruiter is having the same reaction as a job seeker who's rejected. "Why did this happen? Is there something I could have done?"

"I went with an offer that better fits my needs" lets them off the hook. Nice gesture, not required.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

forum enthusiast posted:

are you sending the same resume for different types of job? might be worth having a compilers-specific, security-specific, etc version with the right keywords. also referrals will at least get you past the automated screener if thats an option.

honestly, when i read candidate resumes i only look at the first page in any real depth. sometimes i see a 5-10 page long resume and i couldn't tell you what's beyond the first header.

specifically on seattle security hiring, from what i can see it is still a bit iffy for senior/staff but definitely better than last year. happy to chat if you have specific questions or such.

I'm actually specifically asking because I want to make job-specific resumes like you're saying, but in order to make room for job-specific skills it seems like I'm dropping specific skills or listed experience from my listed jobs that seem stronger than "did grad school work on this subject very recently" that is replacing them. I can post/DM my resume if anyone wants to take a look instead of trying to get advice on some vague description of it.

For security roles specifically, I did leverage the few connections I had in the Seattle area (one of them being a professor from my favorite course during my grad school work who was very helpful) but for the most part the only progress I've really made is beginning to attend local OWASP meetings (which has been ok), and overall the message I've gotten multiple times has been "you might have to level down initially when you first move into security, but I'd refer/interview you if we had an appropriate position open (check back in 6 months)".

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

bort's advice is right on. send the recruiter email that absolves the recruiter from responsibility. no need to mention what company. it's not, like, _required_ in the sense that your career is over if you don't do it, but it's the kind thing to do and being kind is cool and good.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm actually specifically asking because I want to make job-specific resumes like you're saying, but in order to make room for job-specific skills it seems like I'm dropping specific skills or listed experience from my listed jobs that seem stronger than "did grad school work on this subject very recently" that is replacing them. I can post/DM my resume if anyone wants to take a look instead of trying to get advice on some vague description of it.

For security roles specifically, I did leverage the few connections I had in the Seattle area (one of them being a professor from my favorite course during my grad school work who was very helpful) but for the most part the only progress I've really made is beginning to attend local OWASP meetings (which has been ok), and overall the message I've gotten multiple times has been "you might have to level down initially when you first move into security, but I'd refer/interview you if we had an appropriate position open (check back in 6 months)".

your question seems to be how to reflect skills you really have on your resume. for that, put security stuff in your "skills" section. you can delineate by "professional" vs "personal" or "proficiency" vs "familiarity" in the list if you want. any item that supports these skills is good. it doesn't have to be work experience, but it also can't be a list of courses. on your education section, call out focus on infosec, or that degree, or whatever, but that ought to only be one line. have a "community" section for stuff like owasp. obviously "i show up at meetings" is not a relevant point, but if you've presented, led a discussion, organized something, etc that's all good fodder for the community section. if you haven't done those things, they should help you.

i have not had to job hunt since the market went to crap, so my experience may be tainted by good hiring environments. the above is good advice, but i don't want to promise that it is sufficient in the way that it was a few years ago. but if you're not doing the things i mentioned, try it out. at the very least, putting infosec keywords in your skills section will probably get you through a lot of automated rejections.

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
lol my recruiter is "putting a note on my profile" that i reneged an offer and very sternly chastised me for taking opportunities away from others :allears:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

lord fifth posted:

lol my recruiter is "putting a note on my profile" :allears:

lmao

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

this is going on your permanent record, just think of how disappointed your parents are going to be with you. I hope you're happy with yourself

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lord fifth posted:

lol my recruiter is "putting a note on my profile" that i reneged an offer and very sternly chastised me for taking opportunities away from others :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

lord fifth posted:

i cant believe this went down on your permanent record