Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I've started soft asking my players for feedback, we're still a whiles off from the next campaign but I wanted to get a sense of what they'd like to see improved.

Most Reasonable:
- Less but More Varied Enemies. i.e no horde of weak enemies where only the Zeal Cleric and his Max Damage Fireballs gets to have fun. :haw:
- Simpler homebrew magic items. The ones I made at the start were overly complicated to try to avoid exceeded the level banding but I think I have a better sense of how to balance things now.

Kinda Locked in to 5e:
- Faster Leveling. I think this has been "better" since I'm running Rime so I have more flexibility about when the level ups happen based on milestones and have been more on the ball about prep so players are reaching the checkpoints more consistently then when we played the 6 hour one shot that somehow lasted 12 weeks. I'll try to keep this more in mind when I prep so if they explore whatever but there's more clearer forks in the plot to pick from; it seems like the pattern of having an NPC go to the players works better to help them along then hoping they stumble onto the plot.

-More attunement slots. 5e thing I can't really fix, and is largely an issue with being too generous with magic items early on. But I think I have better ideas for how to improve this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't think you need to be beholden to 3 attunement slots at all. If there's a lot of magic items floating around, getting a fourth slot can be a fun boon to give out. Make it a quest.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Agreed on attunement slots. You can probably provide another slot as a major milestone once they're mid level.

In my campaign, the group gets some passive bonuses from a resort town they manage. One of the buildings they picked provided an extra attunement slot that they've been enjoying since around level 12.

However, be considerate of the other feedback about simplifying magic items. An extra attunement slot is an extra thing to manage. So if it's got charges or unique qualifiers, that's more book keeping for the player, and can slow things down.

Speaking of which, is there a rule of thumb for which magic items require attunement? I make a bunch of custom ones, so my go to rule is: if it provides a passive, always-on bonus, it requires attunement. If it has charges or is situational, no attunement required.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

A couple of questions.

Silent Image
1. I'm not sure I'm understanding the limits of a spell right. Can the spell "Silent Image" be used to make it appear if someone standing inside the image isn't actually there? Essentially as a form of (more limited) invisibility?
2. Is it correct that the 15 ft. cube limit of the spell's effect means that it can only hide three people, due to how 5e treats people as occupying a 5-foot square in combat? EDIT: To clarify, if there was a wall or cliff, and I used the illusion to extend the wall or cliff outward for my 15 foot cube, would I still only be able to hide three people there?
3. Along those lines, if I wanted to create an illusion of people, would I be restricted to three, or could I pack in a bunch (say, 10)?
4. Once a creature knows the illusion is in fact an illusion, they can see through it. So the caster can see through it (it'd be dumb otherwise), but if the caster's allies know ahead of time that it's an illusion (such as with a code word you could say mid-combat), can they see through it, or do they still have to use their action to investigate it first?

Eldritch Mind vs Resilient: CON/Warcaster
5. With a mind to planning ahead, I was considering taking Eldritch Mind as my level 5 Invocation, but swapping it out for Either Warcaster or Resilient: CON if I hit level 12 (as in taking that as a feat and switching out the old Invocation). I have an 18 CON, so the +1 CON wouldn't do anything useful, but adding the proficiency bonus would add another +3 to the save (which becomes +4 at 13) for a total of +7. At that high of a level, that sounds better for maintaining concentration than advantage. Does that sound like a good (if a long-term) plan?

1. Sure, when viewed from a specific angle and distance. So no, not really.
2. You can fit nine 5-foot squares in a 15-foot square, not three. Or 27 5-foot cubes in a 15-foot cube, if you let the people to form a human pyramid. And I definitely wouldn't have an issue with packing more people in out of combat. If combat does start while people are packed in, I'd just say they're all squeezing and require them to move away from the mass if they can (including by dashing but not limited use abilities).
3. This is a bit arguable. Silent Image explicitly lists "a creature", so you could interpret "some other visible phenomenon" as excluding multiple creatures. OTOH a group of people definitely does seem like a visible phenomenon to me. I'd probably allow it.
4. This is a bit unclear too. It depends on what the DM/table counts as "discerning" the illusion. I'd let the others see through it.
5. I'd go for Resilient over Warcaster at 12, assuming I don't need the other parts of Warcaster (mostly the component thing).

Raenir Salazar posted:

-More attunement slots. 5e thing I can't really fix, and is largely an issue with being too generous with magic items early on. But I think I have better ideas for how to improve this.
I wouldn't touch attunement slots personally.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Staltran posted:

I wouldn't touch attunement slots personally.
I agree.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Zurreco posted:

A lot of your questions will be up to the DM, especially as to what the word "image" means.

1. You can create an image that obscures a person or persons. However, anyone familiar with the area or content of the image would probably intuitively think something was weird and start rolling checks.
2. Arguably a 15 x 15 image of a wall could obscure an infinite number of people if the observer never moves.
3. Depends on if the DM thinks that the sight of 3 or more people constitutes an "image" vs multiple images.
4. For the purposes of moving things along I would say the caster can let folks know that it's a projection.

Depends on the illusion. One of the most effective ambush preparation illusions to cast is that of a closed door when the door you are hiding behind is wide open. It obscures everyone behind it, your guys have time to see their way through (after all they can see the actual door and be told it's an illusion even if you've taken a door off its hinges) and there's no reason to think that when you see a closed door where you expect there to be a closed door there's anything wrong ... until the people and arrows fly out of it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

neonchameleon posted:

Depends on the illusion. One of the most effective ambush preparation illusions to cast is that of a closed door when the door you are hiding behind is wide open. It obscures everyone behind it, your guys have time to see their way through (after all they can see the actual door and be told it's an illusion even if you've taken a door off its hinges) and there's no reason to think that when you see a closed door where you expect there to be a closed door there's anything wrong ... until the people and arrows fly out of it.

This is probably why the minor illusion can trip is a 5' cube. Any bigger and it'd be too useful. Almost as useful as control water.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Outrail posted:

This is probably why the minor illusion can trip is a 5' cube. Any bigger and it'd be too useful. Almost as useful as control water.

Assuming this is sarcasm, control water is crazy good underwater.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Raenir Salazar posted:

You can though. You're a god who can houserule anything you want. Pathfinder lets you have 10 attunement slots plus has tons of magic items that aren't even attunement including +1 weapons. That lets you keep fun-but-situational items instead of just hanging on to the 3 most objectively powerful ones.

In 5e extra attunement slots would make the characters slightly more powerful than they ought to be at a given level. So what? If you're already adjusting the enemies to do the other things you mentioned, then it doesn't matter if your characters are 5% more powerful than they should be.

You know what the dire consequence of too many magic items is? People forgetting those situational items exist. It makes it slightly more complicated for players to manage their inventory, and 5e is all about simplifying things and rounding off all the rough edges. If your players are competent adults who think they can handle the burden of having 5 attunement slots instead of 3 they probably can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efmwfCGOnYY

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Thanks for the clarifications.

Obstructions yes, subtractions, no. Got it. I'm just trying to wrap my head around what I can do before I end up trying to do something dumb.

Staltran posted:

2. You can fit nine 5-foot squares in a 15-foot square, not three. Or 27 5-foot cubes in a 15-foot cube, if you let the people to form a human pyramid. And I definitely wouldn't have an issue with packing more people in out of combat. If combat does start while people are packed in, I'd just say they're all squeezing and require them to move away from the mass if they can (including by dashing but not limited use abilities).

Right, sorry, the terms can confuse me a little. But it would still have to be exactly a 3*3 square, and you could not do rows of 4-4-1. Okay, if there's a case of a narrow alley, people will have to squeeze in close, which is what I expected.

Staltran posted:

5. I'd go for Resilient over Warcaster at 12, assuming I don't need the other parts of Warcaster (mostly the component thing).

My PC is specifically keeping one hand free for somatic components, so that's fine.

neonchameleon posted:

I've already been taught to be wary of relying on that plan. EDIT: Oh, you said when ambushing, not when entering unknown areas. Okay, yes.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 11, 2024

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Pathfinder lets you have 10 attunement slots plus has tons of magic items that aren't even attunement including +1 weapons.

Note that +X weapons/armor don't require attunement in 5e, either.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Staltran posted:

Assuming this is sarcasm, control water is crazy good underwater.

Control water is way too good for a cantrip anywhere you can spit or piss.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

diogenes posted:

you can piss and spit anywhere

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I love D&D but I would destroy it in a heartbeat to get rid of these terrible youtube videos by people who think they're going to be the next Critical Role or Dimension 20.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

attunement is nonsense because the problem it solves is "my player wants to wear twelve rings at once" which has like fifteen other solutions which include "do not give them twelve stacking magical rings" and "God, no, Dave. This has to be a game everyone plays" and "idk just let them do it if it'll be a cool moment." it's supposed to be a serious business "do not gently caress with this limit" rule and yet I've played in a number of campaigns where no one even brushed up against it.

it's a hard limit to prevent exploits of the magic item economy in a game in which the magic item economy is "uhhh whatever the DM wants." attunement doesn't even prevent specific degenerate combos or anything it's just "three seems like a good manageable number". it was supposed to keep magic items feeling interesting and unique and yet the sourcebooks are nonetheless clogged with them because, surprise, people like magic items. It's also supposed to fix magic item balance by ensuring martials better benefit from them (because their +2 plate doesn't need attunement)....unless you have unarmored defense, in which case gently caress you.

gently caress with it all you like, but understand that far far more important than the mechanical limit on what your players can do is what you, the dm, actually let them obtain in the first place.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 11, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah attunement basically exists as a training wheel for inexperienced DMs. Which is a fair thing to exist.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i have the wizards my players pay to cast identify on their stuff tell them that if they attune more than 3 magic items their bodies will explode and their souls will be scattered across the ethereal plane. what my players dont know is that you can attune as many magic items as you want but theres a wizard conspiracy to prevent non-wizards from growing too powerful using magic

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Valentin posted:

attunement is nonsense because the problem it solves is "my player wants to wear twelve rings at once" which has like fifteen other solutions which include "do not give them twelve stacking magical rings" and "God, no, Dave. This has to be a game everyone plays" and "idk just let them do it if it'll be a cool moment." it's supposed to be a serious business "do not gently caress with this limit" rule and yet I've played in a number of campaigns where no one even brushed up against it.

it's a hard limit to prevent exploits of the magic item economy in a game in which the magic item economy is "uhhh whatever the DM wants." attunement doesn't even prevent specific degenerate combos or anything it's just "three seems like a good manageable number". it was supposed to keep magic items feeling interesting and unique and yet the sourcebooks are nonetheless clogged with them because, surprise, people like magic items. It's also supposed to fix magic item balance by ensuring martials better benefit from them (because their +2 plate doesn't need attunement)....unless you have unarmored defense, in which case gently caress you.

gently caress with it all you like, but understand that far far more important than the mechanical limit on what your players can do is what you, the dm, actually let them obtain in the first place.

Who actually uses Unarmored Defense, anyway? You're better off wearing even lovely armor if you have less than like 18 con.

Or is that the point, that the most feasible way to make Unarmored Defense do anything is to attune an amulet of health?

e: I forgot monks get theirs from wis but then it takes an entire +1 for light armor to beat reasonable monk wis so still lol.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 11, 2024

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Caphi posted:

Who actually uses Unarmored Defense, anyway? You're better off wearing even lovely armor if you have less than like 18 con.

Or is that the point, that the most feasible way to make Unarmored Defense do anything is to attune an amulet of health?

The monk version of Unarmored Defense rules, my ToA rogue/monk is the only one who can wear the Bracers of Defense and I picked up a Cloak of Protection early on (I assume you meant the barbarian one)

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Caphi posted:

e: I forgot monks get theirs from wis but then it takes an entire +1 for light armor to beat reasonable monk wis so still lol.

bracers of defense exist explicitly for unarmored characters as a patch for how bad unarmored defense is, but require attunement and are locked at +2, was my point.

5e's design defeating itself at every turn including by making unarmored defense almost unimaginably bad was not the point I was trying to make but I do agree with it

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

scary ghost dog posted:

i have the wizards my players pay to cast identify on their stuff tell them that if they attune more than 3 magic items their bodies will explode and their souls will be scattered across the ethereal plane. what my players dont know is that you can attune as many magic items as you want but theres a wizard conspiracy to prevent non-wizards from growing too powerful using magic

And then if you go over the limit and it becomes widely known, you've got wizard mobsters trying to chase you down to make sure you explode and your items are scattered across the ethereal plane and that everyone hears about it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Re: Magic Items

Got SHATTERSPIKE a magic sword that automatically crits if it hits an object. Very next dungeon the first enemies are animated armour and flying swords (i.e. objects).

DM goes "oh poo poo I forgot you had that"

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

scary ghost dog posted:

After attuning a fourth item, the DM could ask for a CON saving throw (repeated after completing a long rest), and then no matter what the result is, say "Okay. Noted," and see how long it takes for the players to cotton on.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 11, 2024

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Got SHATTERSPIKE a magic sword that automatically crits if it hits an object. Very next dungeon the first enemies are animated armour and flying swords (i.e. objects).

this is a feature and not a bug imo. more games and more campaigns should strive to let this happen organically

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Valentin posted:

this is a feature and not a bug imo. more games and more campaigns should strive to let this happen organically

I absolutely forgot that the sun blade I gave our paladin does extra damage to undead, which is thematically appropriate but it leads to him just cleaving through encounters sometimes

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

change my name posted:

I absolutely forgot that the sun blade I gave our paladin does extra damage to undead, which is thematically appropriate but it leads to him just cleaving through encounters sometimes

This was a problem in BG3. Divine Smite with Lathanders Light and all the big bosses are undead.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Zonko_T.M. posted:

And then if you go over the limit and it becomes widely known, you've got wizard mobsters trying to chase you down to make sure you explode and your items are scattered across the ethereal plane and that everyone hears about it.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

After attuning a fourth item, the DM could ask for a CON saving throw (repeated after completing a long rest), and then no matter what the result is, say "Okay. Noted," and see how long it takes for the players to cotton on.

my players havent tried attuning 4 items yet but if they ever do im planning on having a wizard’s familiar teleport in and serve them a court summons for fraud, sedition, and violating the magically binding resolutions on a long list of arcane treaties signed by all of the archmages from every city (except one who will be their lawyer) but its never going to happen, my players are cowards

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

change my name posted:

I’m a Paladin with a sun blade and our one encounter so far with undead went well but drained my spell slots well before the mini boss because why ration spells and rely on the inbuilt extra damage when you can smite for gigantic numbers?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
What ARE the rules for trying to pickaxe your way through hewn stone walls? I think I saw that there seems to be Damage Reduction/Threshold of 10 and AC 17 and 26 HP which actually in practice seemed kinda reasonable, it took many rounds to make their way through the wall. And thanks to their Silence Spell they cast over the section of wall, avoided attracting intention. Like maybe in the future its better to flatten this out to a check that takes 10 minutes to do but I wanna double check what do other DMs do?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Raenir Salazar posted:

What ARE the rules for trying to pickaxe your way through hewn stone walls? I think I saw that there seems to be Damage Reduction/Threshold of 10 and AC 17 and 26 HP which actually in practice seemed kinda reasonable, it took many rounds to make their way through the wall. And thanks to their Silence Spell they cast over the section of wall, avoided attracting intention. Like maybe in the future its better to flatten this out to a check that takes 10 minutes to do but I wanna double check what do other DMs do?

The basic rules have stats for objects that you might find fairly useful:

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Objects#content

Often for this sort of thing I look at what sort of parallel rules would be involved if they were attempting a different kind of solution. So for example Mold Earth and Move Earth are probably decent lower and upper bounds for what is possible. If it’s viable and they’ve explored the concept fully, then a 10 minute Athletics check is probably the way to go.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

First of all I'm gonna say, if you're talking like dungeon walls, those numbers are way too small. The object rules are good for like, statues or whatever but walls kinda necessarily need to be beefier. Look at for example Wall of Stone, that summons a wall with 30HP per inch of thickness. Most stone walls by that logic should have hundreds of HP.

My approach for these kinds of things though is, don't bother rolling for it unless there's some kind of turn-by-turn time pressure. Just quickly calculate the expected time. If they average 15 damage per round, and you're trying to destroy something with 17 AC and 10 soak, just multiply the AC reduction 3/20 by the soaked 15/10 by the 15 damage, gets you 3.4 DPR or about a minute of pounding it nonstop. Then I just round it up to a 10 minute turn.

e: oops had the math wrong, but even if I got it wrong on the spot I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as the numbers look good. You're just looking for a reasonable rule of thumb more than anything

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 11, 2024

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Is there any kind of consensus on grids vs hexes? Been using cheap graphing paper so it's been grids so far but I'm looking at DMing on a more consistent basis and found acrylic sheets I can plop down over top of drawn maps. They come in both flavors but I'd rather just buy one or the other if it's better.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ehh, hex grids are fine but over complicate things for D&D. The material is written such that characters exist in a universe where the plank length is 5’ and a circle of such diameter yields pi=4 or something, it’s fine. Decide not to care that it’s wrong and instead embrace that it’s at least consistently wrong for all participating.

Use hex grids for overland travel stuff though. That feels good and helps it feel like a meaningfully different measurement.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

all my walls are hollow and full of spiders

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

change my name posted:

Isn't "the hero acquires exactly the right supernatural aid to overcome the otherwise impossible or arduous trial" a foundational trope in mythology and heroic epics and fairy tales and basically anything that vaguely follows the Campbellian Hero's Journey? Seems like a feature, not a bug

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TheBizzness posted:

This was a problem in BG3. Divine Smite with Lathanders Light and all the big bosses are undead.

Not so much a problem as a rock-portunity

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

scary ghost dog posted:

all my walls are hollow and full of spiders

If the players don't find a game breaking exploit for this they're not trying hard enough.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Outrail posted:

If the players don't find a game breaking exploit for this they're not trying hard enough.

its just buffed giant spider enemies, they get stronger every time. some day i’ll think of a plot reason

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

scary ghost dog posted:

its just buffed giant spider enemies, they get stronger every time. some day i’ll think of a plot reason

Cast shatter on the wall behind enemies... and it scales with level? Fantastic feature, definitely not a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Outrail posted:

Cast shatter on the wall behind enemies... and it scales with level? Fantastic feature, definitely not a bug.

that's right.

it's an arachnid