Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Kaiju15 posted:

AITA for surprising my neighbor with a tribute to her recently deceased mom?

Every word was carefully chosen to make every sentence more irritating than the last. Quite the accomplishment!

Also shout to berrial after it was properly spelled a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

That's gotta be a shitpost right?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
How do you start a post with "Hey girls, guys, and waffle fries" and have that be the least irritating thing you type?

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

SpaceViking posted:

Something from r/Ask, which seems like it's just a general advice subreddit.

So my girlfriend wants to install a "piss drawer" Is this as bad as I think it is?

This is the master bedroom of Belgian architect Victor Horta's house. He designed the entire house, as well as all the furnishings, everything exactly the way he wanted. That's a urinal on the left there, hidden behind a door. The en suite bathroom, in case you're wondering, is behind the door on the right side of the bed, right next to the door to the staircase.

I visited 17 years ago, and I still can't get over the fact that he put a urinal in the bedroom, when he could've easily walked like 5 meters more to use the actual loving bathroom.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Kaiju15 posted:

daily bassist would be a good band name

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Shanghaied posted:

This is the master bedroom of Belgian architect Victor Horta's house. He designed the entire house, as well as all the furnishings, everything exactly the way he wanted. That's a urinal on the left there, hidden behind a door. The en suite bathroom, in case you're wondering, is behind the door on the right side of the bed, right next to the door to the staircase.

I visited 17 years ago, and I still can't get over the fact that he put a urinal in the bedroom, when he could've easily walked like 5 meters more to use the actual loving bathroom.

that rules

edit: bonus points for it being wood

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Kaiju15 posted:

"Richtivities" How loving cute :rolleyes:

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

Shanghaied posted:

I still can't get over the fact that he put a urinal in the bedroom, when he could've easily walked like 5 meters more to use the actual loving bathroom.

So he and the wife could pee at the same time?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

JosephSkunk posted:

I dated someone who as a child believed the marriage ceremony was the couple taking a joint poop so this checks out for what a "quickie" must mean

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 12, 2024

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

Barudak posted:

I dated someone who as a child believed the marriage ceremony was the couple taking a joint poop so this checks out for what a "quickie" must mean

What else is the couples toilet for?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Shanghaied posted:

He kept having a dream where he got up to take a piss only to wake up and realize he just pissed in his closet for the 14th time. So he figured hey let’s make the closet a urinal. Dream problem solved.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

behold, the UK's most highly paid shitposter

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i have a sink in my house too but you dont see me writing articles about it

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

JosephSkunk posted:

Or he wants to let his wife sleep while he gets up 3-4 times a night to pee. I'm on prescription diuretics rn and my husband and I switched sides from our usual bed arrangement to one where I can roll out of bed quickly and dash to the bathroom when nature calls in the wee hours (:dadjoke:). Maybe dude had prostate problems or something where that extra 5m makes a difference at 3am.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Kaiju15 posted:

Is this a chatgpt post with "make the character as annoying as you can. There must be no redeeming qualities"

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for asking my mother to leave because she won't stop wasting my food.

quote:

My baby sister just had a baby and our mom came to help. My sister and her husband live in a tiny apartment with no room for my mom. I agreed to let her stay with me since I live only eight blocks away. It's walkable. My plan was to Uber her over in the morning and pick her up after work.

I only eat one meal a day during the week. Supper. I have coffee for breakfast and some fruit for lunch. On Saturday I treat myself to a good breakfast and Sundays I take the woman I'm dating for brunch.

My mother decided that this was unacceptable. She got up early and went through my fridge and freezer to make me breakfast.

I told her that I appreciate it but that I do not usually eat breakfast. She said that was stupid. I very clearly communicated to her that she was welcome to eat anything in my home but to please not make me breakfast as it was a waste.

She made breakfast the following day. I walked out without eating it. I figured worst case scenario I could eat it for supper.

She threw it out since I didn't eat it. I told her once more to please not waste my food.

She made breakfast for me the next day. I asked her if she was developing dementia. She is wasting my food for no good reason. I'm not poor or anything but wasting food is a pet peeve of mine. She said I was being ungrateful for her help and she was doing it to be nice since I was letting her stay with me.

I explained to her again that I did not need, want, require, or desire breakfast during the week. She said she understood.

She made me breakfast the next day. I had had enough. I took her luggage with me when I dropped her off at my sister's home.

I told my doorman that my guest was no longer welcome.

I got so many messages from her and my sister all day long. Even my dad called me to ask me to change my mind. I said no.

He had to drive up and rent an Airbnb close to my sister because my mom was too scared to stay by herself. He's retired so he didn't miss work or anything.

My sister came over alone to talk to me. She said I was being a complete rear end and that I could afford the food my mom was wasting. I said I could but that I didn't want to. She literally used up two months worth of my food. She made up huge breakfasts that I didn't even eat. I keep all my bacon in individual servings. She thawed out three for every breakfast. One for her and two for me. And I ate zero.

My father has asked me to let her back in. I said I would under the condition that she understand that my food is completely off limits to her. She can pay for her own food. I said I would make room in the fridge and freezer for her. She said I was being ridiculous and petty.

So my dad is staying neutral but my mom and sister think I'm a jackass. My girlfriend thinks the whole thing is hilarious band refuses to get involved

Per comments OP has OCD and mother thinks she can force OP to get over it

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
AITA For Giving My Wife The Cold Shoulder After She Donated Our Vacation Fund?

I (41m) and my wife (39f) are people who like to travel. We take our kids (12f and 14f) on trips 2-3 times a year. And over the year I usually put aside money for travel. My wife's niece also needs knee surgery due to soccer injuries (soccer season ended a month or so ago) and my sister-in-law can't really afford it. I'm not sure how much health insurance will cover or how much the surgery will even cost, but they've been looking for help to pay for it.

Well after we booked flights and stuff, we had about 15k-20k left in the account. We didn't really know what to do with it yet

FF to this morning, and my wife and I are talking about attractions and stuff and my wife kind of sneaks in to the conversation that we would have to pay out of pocket since she gave the remaining money to her sister. I was absolutely loving livid because a) That was our money in the account, which means my money was also in the account and b) I'm SURE they don't need that much, especially if they have insurance which will most likely cover some of the surgery cost.

Since then, I went to work, came back, and haven't spoken to her since. She's tried to talk about it, but I don't want to talk about anything except my money getting back into my account. I feel bad for ignoring my wife and giving her shade but at the same time I'm really loving pissed. AITA?

I can add any needed context in comments, since this whole thing is just kind of a blur in my mind.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

breakfast is the most im;portant meal of the day

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Call Your Grandma posted:

breakfast is the most im;portant meal of the day

Suspicious username/post combo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mx. posted:

Per comments OP has OCD and mother thinks she can force OP to get over it

I get being upset someone doesnt listen to your requests, and as a usual breakfast skipper I am somewhat aligned, but the rest of the post sounds like a nightmarish OCD/food issues combo that really need exposure to air.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

I get being upset someone doesnt listen to your requests, and as a usual breakfast skipper I am somewhat aligned, but the rest of the post sounds like a nightmarish OCD/food issues combo that really need exposure to air.

She threw away two months of his food. I don't have OCD and I'd still be kicking her out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

She threw away two months of his food. I don't have OCD and I'd still be kicking her out.

The two months of food is inclusive of 12 pieces of bacon split over 4 days. Unless the mom is preparing 12 other courses in there that op didnt feel warranted discussion the math only works out if op is eating one piece of bacon per week for their one breakfast they allow themselves.

Like it could be mom used up 2 months of food but OPs concept of what two months of food includes sounds draconian to an unhealthy extreme.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 12, 2024

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

The two months of food is inclusive of 12 pieces of bacon. Unless the mom is preparing 12 other courses in there that op didnt feel warranted discussion the math only works out if op is eating one piece of bacon per week for their one breakfast they allow themselves.

They said she cooked a "huge breakfast", it wasn't just bacon. And I don't really care how much it is, cooking it just to throw it out is some wasteful poo poo, especially when you're doing it to show your kid their OCD is fake, per their comments.

quote:

My portions are six slices. She used twelve. That is 72 slices. She ate 24. I ate four. The rest went in the garbage.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 12, 2024

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

They said she cooked a "huge breakfast", it wasn't just bacon. And I don't really care how much it is, cooking it just to throw it out is some wasteful poo poo, especially when you're doing it to show your kid their OCD is fake, per their comments.

Edit: Oh lol there is an edit where individual serving doesn't mean a single piece but actually several pieces cause clearly I and other people thought that was insane as described.

OP is fine, I retract any concerns about them.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 12, 2024

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

OPs OCD is real, and mom is in the wrong, I never disputed that. Merely that OP seems to have an actual issue with food that should be addressed outside of this situation.

The mom thawed out that many portions, not slices. The portions are apparently six slices each, not one. They seem fine.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I Abruptly Disappeared From My Boyfriend’s Life, Without Extending Any Closure….Because He Did Not Propose To Me

quote:

I had been with my ex boyfriend for 5 years. We are both in our early 30s. I value marriage and family, so being married and having kids is a personal goal of mine that I envisioned with my ex.

I initially told him I wanted to marry within 3 years of our relationship as I felt that this many years is enough for a person to know if they want to marry me. I really wished I had walked out back then.

However my ex gave me false hopes all the time. I stayed away from making ultimatums thinking that it’s unhealthy for relationships. He would have his hang ups about not having a X amount of money or being promoted to a senior position. I would show him my engagement ring styles and touch upon the topic every few months or so. He would respond well to it but never follow through with what he promised.

With every failed promise, he broke my heart every single time. I felt worthless and resentful. I felt mad at myself and still do, because I didn’t have guts to leave earlier. I blame myself for wasting my twenties being stuck with a guy who kept me from finding my husband.

I even cried to him how I felt. I felt like a nag. He lied to me he would propose to me. I didn’t even want a big wedding.

On my 30th birthday, I had a come to Jesus moment. It was horrible. I knew he wouldn’t propose and I needed to get my ducks in row. Our lease was ending in 4 months and I got a job offer from a different city that I hadn’t told him about. I accepted it and locked down a nice apartment without telling him about my plans. I kept delaying on renewing the lease giving him false promise that we will look for a better place near his office just the way he did with me. He dangled the ring and proposal in front of me like a carrot. It felt humiliating. Now I look back, if feels he was mocking me at my face. Promising to marry someone only to deceive them is one of the cruelest things one can ever do. He took away my youth and stole my time.

Now, I have figured out I don’t like people who are spineless and indecisive like my ex. He dragged his feet for far too long. I’m going to be just a “starter wife/forever girlfriend” in his life and he doesn’t deserve any more grace. Pretty sure he’s gonna get engaged after 6 months of meeting a young hot woman at the gym. I just hope this poor woman he dates next knows she is marrying someone with a weak mind and a weak set of values.

I had already started emptying out my stuff little my little. One day when he was at office, I had already served my notice period (he didn’t know I was quitting) and I got my girlfriends to help me pack the rest of it and moved out without a word. Deleted all our pictures from Instagram ( my profile is open) and restricted his account. I didn't even bother to send a text message. Blocked him on text and otherwise so he couldn’t demand for closure and ask any questions.

I don’t think he deserved closure. He deserved the same passivity he showed me for over 3 years. One day of dishing it out won’t hurt him nearly as much as he hurt me. Yes I was petty, I own it. He didn’t know where I went and what plans I had.

Once I moved, I felt relieved and peace within myself. I even went on a nice date and posted a photo of a wine glass at a restaurant table. His sister tracked me down and confronted me about how I ghosted him and he still wants me back and showed me a picture of the ring he had bought, thinking I’ll run back into his arms. I told her she was sorely mistaken and she should tell her brother to return the ring. I told her never to contact me again.

I know he must’ve felt blindsided but I didn’t think about dignifying the relationship and the breakup with closure.

I’m not going to entertain any guy who tells me he isn’t ready yet, because I wouldn’t ask someone if they are ready to marry me before 2 years.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The weak mind and weak values thing reminds me that ancient greek philosophers in athens were incredibly jacked because self improvement was a holistic activity so now Ive got the image in my head of Plato spotting a fellow bro as he attempts to set a PB reading Wittgenstein.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
jesus christ

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Mx. posted:

I only eat one meal a day during the week. Supper. I have coffee for breakfast and some fruit for lunch.

That sounds like two meals buddy

But yeah I only eat two meals a day, haven't felt hungry before lunch time in years. Not sure why OP thinks they may be in the wrong, I'd be super pissed off if someone kept wasting my food (especially meat)

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Hughlander posted:

I Abruptly Disappeared From My Boyfriend’s Life, Without Extending Any Closure….Because He Did Not Propose To Me
I initially told him I wanted to marry within 3 years of our relationship[...] I stayed away from making ultimatums thinking that it’s unhealthy for relationships
That sounds like an ultimatum to me!

Maybe you should think about why it matters so much that you set a timer on your relationships. You could have probably left that one much earlier if you paid attention to how he was treating you.

(But OP is still TA, and the ex boyfriend gets to truthfully tell everyone how he was ghosted without explanation and comes out looking better than her)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

PancakeTransmission posted:

Maybe you should think about why it matters so much that you set a timer on your relationships. You could have probably left that one much earlier if you paid attention to how he was treating you.

(But OP is still TA, and the ex boyfriend gets to truthfully tell everyone how he was ghosted without explanation and comes out looking better than her)

There is the common delusion that all those negative personality traits will get 'corrected' once a person gets married.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PancakeTransmission posted:

quote:

I had been with my ex boyfriend for 5 years. [...]

I initially told him I wanted to marry within 3 years of our relationship as I felt that this many years is enough for a person to know if they want to marry me.

That doesn't!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

The weak mind and weak values thing reminds me that ancient greek philosophers in athens were incredibly jacked because self improvement was a holistic activity so now Ive got the image in my head of Plato spotting a fellow bro as he attempts to set a PB reading Wittgenstein.

Plato was literally his wrestling nickname, it means 'broad'

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
WIBTA if I tell my best friend that she's insane for liking my bf?

quote:

Throwaway because best friend uses reddit.

Me (23f) and my best friend (23f) will call her Taylor, have been best friends since nursery. I have been my bf Aaron (25m) for 2 years now.

Me and Taylor went clubbing last week and she got extremely drunk, I got us a uber back to her and in the car she suddenly got angry because Aaron was asking if I'd like to stay at his that night. I thought she was mad because she wanted me to stay at hers but then she started screaming at me that she's fancied Aaron since we started dating and she wants us to break up because it'll be the only way she can be happy because she will have a chance with him.

I was shocked, of course, and dropped her home and got a uber straight to Aaron's because she was way too drunk to talk about this properly. I told Aaron and he was shocked as well. And then something clicked in his brain and he showed me messages she had sent him.

It was messages of her sending memes and tiktoks, which she does a lot, but there wasa a lot of compatible star signs ( Taylor and Aaron's) and cute date out ideas. He didn't think anything of it, because tbh he is very oblivious to a girl flirting with him. And assumed the date ideas was for me and him.

He then asked me if I ever suggested going to certain events with just the three of them. I said no and he had a "holy moly" moment. He showed me more messages and there was LOADS of messages from Taylor asking if he wanted to watch this film or eat at this restaurant or go to this spa with her. He assumed that it was the three of us because me and Taylor was almost always hanging out when she sent those messages. But Taylor never mentioned it to me.

Me and Aaron fell asleep and in the morning I sent Taylor a message basically saying I need time to process things before I talk to her. She never responded. I spoke to her cousin Molly (22f) who I am quite close friends with and she admitted that Taylor has had a obsession with Aaron ever since we've started dating and she even has this love spell she got off tiktok that she's used to get Aaron to fall in love with her ( I have no idea what that even is)

I still haven't spoken to Molly and I don't know about how our friendship can get over this

WIBTA if I tell her she needs professional help?

quote:

Just to add as well. Taylor's dad passed away recently as well, and before he died, Taylor told him that she met the love of her life (Aaron) and other lies about him and Taylor's dad passed away happy that Taylor is gonna be happy with Aaron? Molly told me this as well because she believes that's why Taylor is so obsessed with Aaron because it's her dying fathers wish? Taylor's dad lived in Scotland and we live in England so he only talked to her on the phone and wasn't able to see the truth for himself.

I never thought Taylor was a pathological liar, there's been a few situations in that past with other friends that she's been exposed for a couple of white lies, but I would have never branded her a liar

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Plato was literally his wrestling nickname, it means 'broad'

Unfortunately, his finishing move is lost to history. There is not even an academic consensus about whether he was considered a face or a heel.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

quantumwell posted:

Middle name, Heavily

Ovaltine, surely.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

the holy poopacy posted:

Unfortunately, his finishing move is lost to history. There is not even an academic consensus about whether he was considered a face or a heel.

Making millennia of philosophy students read the Allegory of the Cave? Big heel move.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
I messed up really bad and said something awful to my boyfriend when I was drunk and don’t know how to fix

quote:

Before I get started, I just wanna say I know I hosed up and I am the rear end in a top hat here. My boyfriend is a wonderful human being who loves me and only deserves the best.

Ok so like I said, I (29f) have a wonderful, wonderful boyfriend (28m) and we live together. He had a bit of a rough time with finding work, and he started a job at the post office where he works very hard and works 40-60 hours a week. I’m only saying this next part because it’s necessary to the situation, but I make more than he does and work less hours than him, and we’re struggling with some unexpected finances right now and it’s been causing some tension between us.

Last night I went to a bar with some coworkers and I stayed out later than I should’ve and came home at 2:30am pretty drunk. My boyfriend was up waiting for me and told me he was worried about me and I asked why he stayed up, and he told me he was waiting for me and I shouldn’t be out that late on a night when I have work the next day. I don’t know why this set me off but I got VERY angry and told him he had no right giving me job advice since he doesn’t have a “real” job and can’t even afford to pull his weight like a loser. He told me he thought I should go to bed and walked me over to my room and helped me get my shoes and dress off, and I just got in bed and lied down to go to sleep. But the worst part was as I was drifting off, I heard him crying in the bathroom.

When I woke up this morning, he had gone to work and now I’m at work hungover which sucks. However, I have no idea what to say to him now. He should be home tonight but I don’t know what I can do at this point to let him know how sorry I am and how much I do admire him and was just acting out of drunken stress last night. He loves steak and potatoes and he’s also a big movie guy, so I was thinking of making him steak and potatoes and renting a movie, but I just don’t know.

Any advice would be appreciated.

tl;dr: last night I was drunk and told my boyfriend (who makes less than I do) that he was a loser and that his job wasn’t a “big boy job” and I heard him crying afterwards and now I don’t know how to fix my colossal gently caress up.

quote:

If I’m being honest, I was frustrated that it took him so long to find something that paid decently. He was chasing his dream job for most of his 20s until he had to run through his savings he built up and credit line for us to stay afloat, and then got something consistent that didn’t pay really anything. He got the post office back in December and if I’m being frank if he had just started thinking realistically and began working at his current job a year and a half ago, we probably would be so much better off with finances.

quote:

The post office is a REALLY good place to work, fyi. Wow.

quote:

Oh definitely. I read his benefits package when he first went to orientation and hot drat, most people with $100k of student debt don’t have it that good.

quote:

Then why THE ACTUAL F did you denigrate his job if now you think it’s so good? You really don’t sound like you don’t believe what you said, you’re just sorry you said it. Out loud.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

edgeman83 posted:

I messed up really bad and said something awful to my boyfriend when I was drunk and don’t know how to fix
OP, in comments, reveals she has something of a history of getting lovely drunk and torching the person she's closest to.

quote:

If I’m being honest, this isn’t the first alcohol related incident I’ve had…it makes me angry and needlessly vicious.

When I was in college I got drunk and I screamed at my best friend and told her I understand why her rear end in a top hat boyfriend left her. Still haven’t forgiven myself for that one
LMAO at drinky drunky here.

I'm sure a steak-and-potatoes dinner will fix it though.

vvvv She wants a boyfriend who has a cool/interesting/glamorous/lucrative job that she can brag to her friends about, and is embarrassed that all she can say is "He goes into a warehouse and sorts mail into bins for nine hours, and then he goes back the next day to do it again. Good benefits, though."

FMguru fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Denigrating a USPS job as not a 'big boy' job does more than anything else in that post to call her character into serious question.

Does she think any sort of manual labor or traditional blue collar work isn't 'real jobs'?

Even if she was drunk it's still something she clearly thinks about and gets frustrated over.