Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/ChowdahHill/status/1765090284571083018?t=fwJdPTiQYusSkzhuXi63wg&s=19

The Power Rangers belt buckle is :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Da fuq is a warrior sailor?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nystral posted:

Dunno whatsa warrior-sailor with you?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
The new shipmate I'd imagine

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Some force master chief kept calling my sailors warriors and didn’t like it when I told him they were sailors.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
https://gcaptain.com/congressman-makes-urgent-call-for-u-s-sealift-capacity-expansion-to-counter-china/

Last month Mike Gallagher sent a letter to Adm Buzby at MARAD and Phillips at TRANSCOM detailing the state of the US merchant marine and looking for next steps from each. I dunno if anything will change but it has just about every relevant stat for anyone interested and none of them are good.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

lightpole posted:

https://gcaptain.com/congressman-makes-urgent-call-for-u-s-sealift-capacity-expansion-to-counter-china/

Last month Mike Gallagher sent a letter to Adm Buzby at MARAD and Phillips at TRANSCOM detailing the state of the US merchant marine and looking for next steps from each. I dunno if anything will change but it has just about every relevant stat for anyone interested and none of them are good.

Chairman of the House Select Committee on the Chinese Communist Party

I'm weirdly surprised we have one of these.

I gotta go see what other weird named committees we have

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Theres committees on committees back there so everyone can feel important

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
https://open.substack.com/pub/subpargroup/p/reminiscences-of-a-periscope-operator

Good blog about getting out

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I randomly remembered the time we got served canned peas that had a bunch of grasshoppers in it them on deployment. Man I miss the Navy.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Elviscat posted:

I randomly remembered the time we got served canned peas that had a bunch of grasshoppers in it them on deployment. Man I miss the Navy.

I'd kill for the grasshopper protein after a month of only canned beats for midrats

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Laranzu posted:

I'd kill for the grasshopper protein after a month of only canned beats for midrats

The only useful thing that the ENS who was in charge of night check, aka who I had to babysit, did for my guys was always bring back peanut butter packets from the wardroom for my dudes

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Grasshoppers are very healthy and a good source of protein.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
Late to exam chat but if you have an approved retirement request or if you are getting out all you need to do is get with your CCC and do a PG-13 to defer the exam.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I'll just yeet myself back to 2011 and let my useless ccc know this info.

It was just another great chance for them to gently caress with my career but I managed to not fail or make board so I won.

Anyway, did y'all see about that retired Admiral that got advanced to Captain last week? The former White House doctor that was dispensing drugs like candy and also using them himself.

Lol

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Laranzu posted:

I fuckin' love canned beets, it's the only thing I could get a full plate of after our freezers broke a week into a 2 month+ mission and we were getting <1000 calories/day.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The USN must be the only NATO navy that willingly starves its own sailors :cripes:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Wibla posted:

The USN must be the only NATO navy that willingly starves its own sailors :cripes:

We did a crew swap with the Charles De Gaulle on Deployment 2. I killed an entire midwatch asking the OS I hung out with in CDC just about the food.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Every other Navy has better food than USN in my experience so far.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Wibla posted:

Starves its junior enlisted sailors. I sat in the Chief’s Mess for 3 years and let me tell you, no one on the ship eats better (or more) than them.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Hekk posted:

Starves its junior enlisted sailors. I sat in the Chief’s Mess for 3 years and let me tell you, no one on the ship eats better (or more) than them.

They don't call it the Goat Locker for nothing.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Hekk posted:

It was a Good Time watching CSC make his own, substantial, meal before going on watch, while we were rationing. Motherfucker would stand in front of us and tell us we were getting plenty of food and to stop whining about it.

E: he got made fun of so hard he started doing it before the prewatch brief, and scuttling down to Chief's quarters to eat, instead of sitting in crew's mess.

E2: same (loving fat, of course) CSC was big on portion sizing even when we were just loving around off the coast and could get food any time. We were restricted to half a waffle (he had the irons back in the galley instead of self-serve on a table like most boats) he, of course, would get a full waffle.

We were getting the poo poo kicked out of us at cribbage by the CO one day, and one of my buddies ratted the CSC out to the CO, who demanded to know if it was true, and then ordered CSC to serve a full waffle to all sailors at breakfast.

CSC smashed the loving waffle irons in the trash compactor rather than allow us full waffles.

The next CO made the CSC go through a full NR-style command-level critique for running out of butter on deployment (the "I can't believe there's no butter" critique) and it made the CSC cry actual adult man tears, lol.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 11, 2024

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Elviscat posted:

It was a Good Time watching CSC make his own, substantial, meal before going on watch, while we were rationing. Motherfucker would stand in front of us and tell us we were getting plenty of food and to stop whining about it.

E: he got made fun of so hard he started doing it before the prewatch brief, and scuttling down to Chief's quarters to eat, instead of sitting in crew's mess.

E2: same (loving fat, of course) CSC was big on portion sizing even when we were just loving around off the coast and could get food any time. We were restricted to half a waffle (he had the irons back in the galley instead of self-serve on a table like most boats) he, of course, would get a full waffle.

We were getting the poo poo kicked out of us at cribbage by the CO one day, and one of my buddies ratted the CSC out to the CO, who demanded to know if it was true, and then ordered CSC to serve a full waffle to all sailors at breakfast.

CSC smashed the loving waffle irons in the trash compactor rather than allow us full waffles.

The next CO made the CSC go through a full NR-style command-level critique for running out of butter on deployment (the "I can't believe there's no butter" critique) and it made the CSC cry actual adult man tears, lol.

why didnt the skipper mast him for smashing the waffle irons? that is some hosed up poo poo

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

ded posted:

why didnt the skipper mast him for smashing the waffle irons? that is some hosed up poo poo

If he did that he'd have an entire chiefs mess of whiny crybabies instead of just one.

Hopefully dude was on his way out

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Nystral posted:

It's Air Force brain leaking into other branches. Probably think calling everyone warriors will help with recruiting and retention and not just be a fuckin joke...kinda like the half year or so they replaced rates with numbers but more ignorable.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

ded posted:

I dunno, fuckface was some Admiral's pet cook and advanced him directly to E7, the other Chiefs didn't like him either, and would call him a non-selectee all the time.

CMD598 posted:

It's Air Force brain leaking into other branches. Probably think calling everyone warriors will help with recruiting and retention and not just be a fuckin joke...kinda like the half year or so they replaced rates with numbers but more ignorable.

One of my CO's loving loved the warriors thing, we'd have to respond to it with "HOOYAH!" on the pier and stuff. He flew a flag with an outline of professional wrestler The Ultimate Warrior's eye makeup on it, also bought us all PT shirts with that design. He was a weird dude.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Elviscat posted:

One of my CO's loving loved the warriors thing, we'd have to respond to it with "HOOYAH!" on the pier and stuff.

This is really loving dumb.

quote:

He flew a flag with an outline of professional wrestler The Ultimate Warrior's eye makeup on it, also bought us all PT shirts with that design.

This, however, is awesome.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Elviscat posted:

I dunno, fuckface was some Admiral's pet cook and advanced him directly to E7, the other Chiefs didn't like him either, and would call him a non-selectee all the time.

I straight up didn't do their haze fest and told them I disagree with it and they don't even do that to me.

Must have been quite a gem

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Elviscat posted:

He flew a flag with an outline of professional wrestler The Ultimate Warrior's eye makeup on it, also bought us all PT shirts with that design. He was a weird dude.

lol this rules

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Elviscat posted:

He was a weird dude.

I don't think you become a senior officer in any service, let alone the Navy, without being weird

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

I don't think you become a senior officer in any service, let alone the Navy, without being weird

Cobra Commanderson is Built Different though.

Nothing like hearing him calling the OOD the R-word, from crew's mess, while he's in his PJs in Control.

"If Jesus was on board, I'd still have the Deck and the Con" -something he actually said.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Laranzu posted:

I straight up didn't do their haze fest and told them I disagree with it and they don't even do that to me.

Must have been quite a gem

I think that's going to be based on the particular mess but maybe o one cares as much as they let on.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
"Jesus Take The Wheel" is never an acceptable form of nautical navigation!

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Everyone knows it's a helm

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A chief told my fire fighting e5 buddy paper work is being shuffled around and it looks like he may be getting a Nam after all.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Crab Dad posted:

A chief told my fire fighting e5 buddy paper work is being shuffled around and it looks like he may be getting a Nam after all.

It's not a Navy & Marine Corps Medal, but a NAM is still good nevertheless. Glad he got something out of it.

Meanwhile crabdad's chain puts him in for and he gets a COM for the same action.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's not a Navy & Marine Corps Medal, but a NAM is still good nevertheless. Glad he got something out of it.

Meanwhile crabdad's chain puts him in for and he gets a COM for the same action.

I did not submit myself in anyway. It would have to take the submarines command noticing my mil email below my civ email to do anything and I purposely omitted that detail in my letter and talk to the CO because I got plenty of good navy karma.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Psychiatrist: “MCPON Crab Dad isn’t real, he can’t help you.”
MCPON Crab Dad: *materializes with two rescued civvies and a plate of cookies*

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
edit: This is not an interesting post, but for some reason the forums are the only website that will load for me right now, so instead of talking to my wife I'm talking to you goons.

The other day my Chief calls me from CIC, where he's on watch. Tells me I need to get on a SIPR computer, someone's trying to get a hold of me on chat. Turns out it's a buddy of mine on the John Finn. He's mad that my broken-rear end ship is a month behind schedule and it's directly delaying his strike group's return date, lol.

We met at MEPS when both of our paperwork got misplaced, and we hit it off immediately. We were both married young, AECF, ended up in the same division in boot camp, both got FC, same barracks at TSC back when there was a terrible bottleneck at A school so we spend almost two years in Great Lakes. We were live-ashore though since we were married, and we lived in the same apartments in Gurnee. Our wives got along great, too! Then we went off to the fleet, completely different directions, me a Tomahawker, him a SSDS guy. We've kept in touch throughout the years, but we've never been stationed in the same place since then. I don't think I've actually seen him in almost ten years but he's still my bro.

Thing is, we could not be more dissimilar. I'm a pale, thin, nerdy ADHD-riddled piece of human garbage. He looks like a Mexican Johnny Bravo, but he's sharp as a tack, hard-working, responsible. My complete opposite in nearly every way.

AAAAAAANYWAYS, mother fucker's up for Master Chief this year and wants to know why I'm still an E-6, lmao. I hit him with that "Well, you see Senior Chief, what had happened was..."

It was nice to catch up with him though, his family's doing well, and he's rooting for me, the idealistic fool.

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
At first I was thinking “what sort of idiot is letting you two idiots gently caress around on SIPR mIRC” and then you answered my question, the idiot who can self approve that sort of fuckery