Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

unwantedplatypus posted:

I have one kid I give treats to in an effort to make-up for the fact that they won't get to grow up. At least I'm not as bad as this guy amirite.

OP when kid turns 18

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
not growing up is a skill issue

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

When does everyone think it will be at the point where the rest of the globe freaks the gently caress out? When things are so totally bent out of shape and falling apart, that it's evident it's not a couple of wild summers or winters that led to bizarre effects like crop loss or mass migration from firestorms.

during system collapses, people just keep going to work until something happens to them

and I mean like first someone is gonna complain about prices
then maybe they can't get certain goods
then they lost their job
then they are starving

But the guy over there still with his job? He doesn't care about you and won't freak out

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

When does everyone think it will be at the point where the rest of the globe freaks the gently caress out? When things are so totally bent out of shape and falling apart, that it's evident it's not a couple of wild summers or winters that led to bizarre effects like crop loss or mass migration from firestorms.

when gas hits $10

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Thankfully history will end in a couple of decades so it doesn't matter how many treats I consume in the meantime!

Ah, but when I consume the treats; I'm doing it in stern resignation of the folly of man and the hopelessness of the future, not in blissful indulgence. That's better somehow.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Third World Reagan posted:

during system collapses, people just keep going to work until something happens to them

then they lost their job
then they are starving

But the guy over there still with his job? He doesn't care about you and won't freak out

imho you can argue that the system started crashing around 9/11, but the full unequivocal heart-attack was the 08/09 financial collapse, and even if you think that might not have been fatal in and of itself then the follow up punch of covid 100% for sure was. we are in the collapse now. somewhere between one and two decades in. obviously, like everything else, its not evenly distributed, and in fact its usually very un-evenly distributed in perfect inverse correlation to what would be fair.

meaning like, sure for us it shows as a whole generation crying about not being able to afford their own mcmansion.

but if you look at a globe at the area between 5 and 15 degrees north latitude, for people in guatamala, el salvador, and venezuela its a deadly economic collapse and refugee generator already. keep spinning and you get to africa. coups in guinea 21, mali 20/21, burkina faso, 22, niger 21/23, sudan 21. ethiopia - tigray war 20-22 (a third to a half million dead). srilanka more or less collapsed in 22.

the scouring of humanity from the central latitudes has begun. you still have to go to work tomorrow.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The srilanka one stuck with me since I read a story where people there were asked about what it is like during a collapse and they were just like 'you step over a body on the way to work, then you go home'

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

unwantedplatypus posted:

Thankfully history will end in a couple of decades so it doesn't matter how many treats I consume in the meantime!

Ah, but when I consume the treats; I'm doing it in stern resignation of the folly of man and the hopelessness of the future, not in blissful indulgence. That's better somehow.

Nothing can deter the indomitable spirit of man, except for an increasingly smaller pool of treats.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

RadiRoot posted:

when gas hits $10

no. $6 in US avg

people freak out at 4

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Hubbert posted:

This thread is all about masquerading as morally superior while carefully hiding away any and all details on your international travel adventures, your abhorrent lifestyle practices, and how many children you've produced.

Hey, those planes are flying with or without you on them. It's actually morally good to fly on a packed plane because it's reducing the carbon footprint per person

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

then they lost their job
then they are starving

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/tv-series/the-collapse

Above in TV form.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Dokapon Findom posted:

Hey, those planes are flying with or without you on them. It's actually morally good to fly on a packed plane because it's reducing the carbon footprint per person

you better believe this article was a crack ping.

https://www.wired.com/story/airplanes-empty-slots-covid/

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

The freakout has already started in earnest, it just won't (and will never be) permitted for the poo poo that is wrong to be connected to climate collapse until our oligarchs run out of money to blackmail people, buy government officials and laws, and run hundred million dollar pr campaigns to flood the zone with poo poo

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER
I think the increasing psychosis of modern society is evident that poo poo is breaking apart but people don't want to acknowledge the root causes. It isn't even that bad yet! Just wait until we're at +3C or +4C lmao.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

it’s ok we can end civilization now, all I wanted to see was a masterpiece novel of religion, politics and ecology on the big screen and instead I saw the soul of that book surgically cut out and vomit a marvel movie instead.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Scarabrae posted:

it’s ok we can end civilization now, all I wanted to see was a masterpiece novel of religion, politics and ecology on the big screen and instead I saw the soul of that book surgically cut out and vomit a marvel movie instead.

nah gotta wait for elden ring dlc first

and then silksong

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Argentum posted:

I think the increasing psychosis of modern society is evident that poo poo is breaking apart but people don't want to acknowledge the root causes. It isn't even that bad yet! Just wait until we're at +3C or +4C lmao.

+1.5 already virtually ended ice fishing I actually want to see what 3c winter is like. Just gotta wait until 2027, I'll be patient

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Scarabrae posted:

still need probably about six years to finish one piece

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

The srilanka one stuck with me since I read a story where people there were asked about what it is like during a collapse and they were just like 'you step over a body on the way to work, then you go home'

That's why imo the most accurate things to look at are those "world's deadliest roads" docos on youtube. Just desperate people doing more and more dangerous stuff, in worse and worse conditions, for less and less money.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

I’m so bummed out the charts in this thread cheer me up

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER

Xaris posted:

nah gotta wait for elden ring dlc first

and then silksong

the content is supreme, the treats are sublime

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

just finished watching this last night, there's some banger episodes

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Antarctic ecotourism is good for the environment

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Nix Panicus posted:

the ecotourism pays for research and conservation efforts, so really, ruining the environment means you're helping preserve it

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
this is like convalescence safaris right?

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Nix Panicus posted:

maybe the penguins can export glacier ice

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

mags posted:

maybe the penguins can export glacier ice

I paid extra to shoot the penguins, for the environment

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Mt Erebus scenic flights are really great!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If only more people made the correct purchasing decisions we wouldn't be in this mess!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Apparently some anthrax got loose from permafrost and infected some reindeer herders

Also every virus they experimentally melted from the ice was viable, 100% success rate. Seems fine.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I miiight be the closest to Antarctica out of everybody on this thread (live at the bottom of New Zealand) and in the winter that Antarctic chill is a bit much, but at least with global warming i shouldn't have to worry about wearing a scarf and four layers. So that will be nice.

Confusedslight has issued a correction as of 06:02 on Mar 12, 2024

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i'm going to turn the ecosystem off and on again. that usually fixes things.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Apparently some anthrax got loose from permafrost and infected some reindeer herders

Also every virus they experimentally melted from the ice was viable, 100% success rate. Seems fine.

whoops! all diseases

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
They ended up being OK but it was a few thousand year old strain of anthrax that was confirmed to not be modern? Guess the theory is that one of the herd accidentally uncovered some thawing infected animal or plant or something.

The viruses they have been cataloging for that particular experiment are specifically bacteriophages and some were in like 50000 year old samples iirc, I don't have it in front of me anymore but it was way older.

On the upside some of the seeds in these samples are still able to germinate and they're mostly like small ground cover type plants.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

...an organism that was apparently dead, was found in a 2000 year old geological stratum.

Professor Gast named that organism: Jenova

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
there's a virus that infects some potatoes and weakens them. However in drought conditions this infection is actually is beneficial and prevents the plant from losing water, so the wild type has some selection pressure to not develop complete immunity.

This doesn't work correctly in all domesticated varieties anymore and instead they turn black and die if infected. Basically the entire concept of how viruses interact with other parts of the ecosystem is a lot more complicated than getting a terminal case of fail aids.

Also they did an experiment on the international space station and astronauts have dramatically more active recurrences of herpes outbreaks and other viruses that have long term infections with latent periods. Nobody can figure out why.

The dome system can't easily work, you couldn't even do a lovely space ark because we have essentially no grasp of how anything works and can't evacuate enough material to the cryogenic moon base or whatever stupid plan

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Stereotype posted:

I've literally been to Antarctica, it was nice.

it'll be nice when its melted & beachfront property

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
thats right. f&ck the ice age.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

watched children of men again last night. forgot their son died in the flu pandemic of 2008 :stare:

movie owns but is almost becoming a how to/documentary at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Isn't it gonna rebound once all that ice sloughs off

All those fuckin crazy mystery mountains and archipelagos

A shallow sea full of crocodiles and terror birds, sharks and christ only knows thawed from ancient caverns, ferns as big as redwoods, anything and everything could be right under the ice, waiting to grow again. Sporulate