Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Objectively my subjective opinion is factually correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

TTYD is a very good game that holds up fine people just really like to overblow the one or two issues it actually has

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The computer is a pervert

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
TTYD is great I just like PM64 a bit better. It’s still the second or third best Mario RPG

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like the RPG mario games but consider them along with Mario RPG solely responsible for convincing an entire generation of indie devs that every rpg combat system needs timed hits

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Do not lay the sins of YIIK at marios feet

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

hatty posted:

Do not lay the sins of YIIK at marios feet

Watch me

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Augus posted:

TTYD is a very good game that holds up fine people just really like to overblow the one or two issues it actually has

thusly this

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

We were talking about vanillaware earlier but definitely don't sleep on Unicorn Overlord, the demo is a very generous 6 hours and it seems to not necessarily time everything. The prologue part doesn't seem to count, so you get six hours of actual gameplay that'll transfer.

It's an SRPG but some RTS-lite mechanics instead of the usual pieces-on-a-board, and all the battles are auto-battles but you assemble tactical rules and positioning for your teams (and can change squad formation at the pause before each skirmish begins or even swap between which squad will do the fighting if they're close enough).

You'll be firing off specials and support moves between skirmishes and there's findable anti-game-over items you can use as the anti-frustration mechanic for if the mission timer runs out -- but it's also open-roaming and you can always retreat from a mission encounter if you're struggling to proceed.

Tl:dr a lot of good ideas and they're executed well plus it's generally a pretty game. As long as the grid gameplay isn't specifically what you're after, get this if you like Fire Emblem, and maybe even then.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I am tempted to get it but I have a bad habit of buying SRPGs for full price and not finishing them

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I've been really enjoying Unicorn Overlord, yeah. I was a little concerned that the way the do the battles in the overworld map would mean they can't do bigger battlefields like what you'd have in Ogre Battle, but I think they actually struck a really good balance - there are larger, longer battles where you get to field your whole army in a more complex battle, and also small skirmishes where you'll only use 2 or 3 units that are over quickly. The squad building and gambit setups are really great too, lots of fun setups to mess with and a very impressive amount of gear that gives new abilities and lets you build a class in a completely different way.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

as an Ogre Battle 64 die hard I thought i'd be a little miffed on the flow of things i.e. the hard counters a la Fire Emblem with various character classes and the time limit for fights. But, it's a nice change of pace compared to how battles in Ogre Battle 64 often took 30 min or more because the speed of a unit walking across a large map took forever, and battles seldom ever ended in complete destruction of a unit unless you fought like 4 to 6 times (which sometimes meant chasing a fucker down a mountain for eons to finally kill them). I do appreciate how things go faster and you're not left waiting around, there's a lot going on for many encounters + a lot of fights can be outright massacres depending on unit selection and if you have support flanks.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Boggly Woods is bad and deflates most attempts I have in replaying TTYD. Also Twilight Town is similarly bad. Rest of the game is top tier though.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Boggly is whatever but Twilight Town has an insanely good aesthetic and a fun villain. so in essence, no

e: and also Vivian

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SettingSun posted:

Boggly Woods is bad and deflates most attempts I have in replaying TTYD. Also Twilight Town is similarly bad. Rest of the game is top tier though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

Also you're wrong.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Unicorn Overlord some real lightning-in-a-bottle poo poo. Truly impressive

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

maybe one day people will realize vanillaware is just a good company that makes good games

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar
I bought Unicorn Overlord Friday without reading much about it only because it's a Vanillaware, which is all I need to know. Stunningly visual game as all Vanillaware games are, especially the lighting. Barely into it but can tell it's going to be special.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If anyone plays through it on easy tell me how much effort it is. Because I'm interested but I don't think I want any kind of challenge whatsoever

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

beat the black deck in Balatro...
we're so back

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Quantum of Phallus posted:

beat the black deck in Balatro...
we're so back

Hell yeah, checkered deck is insane.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Are all of the maps going to be timed or was it just a demo thing in Unicorn Overlord?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s so you’re forced to move your rear end

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

They put the timers in to counter overwatch creep. :v:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1767362397239443881?t=O1MkPV-JeaJr5rWdZ4OPdQ&s=19

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

oh yeah isn't a real Mario catchphrase

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They’ll release anything except Super Mario Land and DK94

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
No transfer pak compatibility with the N64 games, but GBC Mario Tennis has all the transfer pak related content unlocked by default here. GBC Mario Golf never had such content in the first place.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Meowywitch posted:

oh yeah isn't a real Mario catchphrase

He says "Oh yeah, Mario time!"

But, it could also have been the twitter person forgot and suddenly remembered

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
everyone knows marios catchphrase is lets get fistin

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

So long gay Bowser

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Awwww here it goes

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Did I do that?

Oh wait, that's Sonic's catchphrase.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Awellcome to Brookkolyn. Ai am the idraulic

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Louisgod posted:

I bought Unicorn Overlord Friday without reading much about it only because it's a Vanillaware, which is all I need to know. Stunningly visual game as all Vanillaware games are, especially the lighting. Barely into it but can tell it's going to be special.

That's good because I don't have time to play games right now, even demos, but I do have the brainworms that cause me to buy special editions of games by studios with releases that I previously greatly enjoyed.

How thoroughly voice-acted is it?

13 Sentinels was a great play-with-wife TV game. I'm hoping that this will be another, though probably fine if it won't.

Also Juro sucks.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I just finished up No More Heroes 3, I don’t know what it is about these games that draws me to them because I don’t think they’re “good” games. Had a great time with it though, on to Kirby and the Forgotten Land :3:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I like the RPG mario games but consider them along with Mario RPG solely responsible for convincing an entire generation of indie devs that every rpg combat system needs timed hits

Timed hits is a super fun system though. Done right it adds a lot of creativity and keeps stuff fresh and engaging. It's a hell of a lot more interesting then "turn based combat with zero flair" or the weird non evolution that ATB was. "It's turn based combat, only more annoying, and some times you gotta wait before you hit the boss!"

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bread Liar

Hammer Bro. posted:

That's good because I don't have time to play games right now, even demos, but I do have the brainworms that cause me to buy special editions of games by studios with releases that I previously greatly enjoyed.

How thoroughly voice-acted is it?

13 Sentinels was a great play-with-wife TV game. I'm hoping that this will be another, though probably fine if it won't.

Also Juro sucks.

I've only scratched the surface but the voice acting seems pretty generically anime/Atlus so far, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you enjoy it. Story seems incredibly generic so far and I'm hoping for something deeper and it's clear the gameplay is going to carry this game. The battles are stunning.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I’m really enjoying Unicorn Overlord so far, but I gotta ask, can you recruit a lich into your army?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
The real question is do I get the stupid monarch collector's edition of Unicorn Overlord now, or hope it stays in stock and drops in price