Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Galewolf posted:

Not to start a failson discussion but I actually read all three house books and the Butlerian Jihad ones with the naivete of a reader who just wanted a bit more of Dune.

I was hoping for something like what Christopher Tolkien did with his fathers notes and concepts. House Atreides was an okay start but like crumbled really fast and when that scene in the invasion of Ginaz happened I literally threw the book across laughing

I have no excuses for reading ALL Butlerian Jihad books, they start bad and keep being bad CONSISTENTLY

:same:

I read all of those too. It felt like an endurance exercise just to read all of the lore. Like trying to complete a game you loved to 100% but there is nothing left enjoyable about it after 30%.

There was usually one cool, interesting arc surrounded by boring, insane, random ones. Dune novels always cycle through the arcs and I found my speed-reading (skimming) to get back to that one arc I was digging. Noise to signal ratio, off the charts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

uber_stoat posted:

i haven't played it but i saw an article saying this was coming out on mobile and steam soon.

Coming out on steam march 13th! I got it early access and the AI actually kicks my rear end

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I Greyhound posted:

>*vinyl scratch sound*
>YOU'RE NOW LISTENING TO
>*ornithopter flyby*
>101.19
>*thumper pounding*
>ARRAKIS FM
>*explosion*
>WHERE WE ONLY PLAY THE SPICIEST TUNES
>*sandworm sound*
>*sardaukar chanting*
>THIS AIN'T YOUR REVEREND MOTHER'S STATION
>*imagine dragons - radioactive starts playing*

https://soundcloud.com/takom-ironhoof-horseridingvet/arks-fm?si=7dfe41ca07f442bbb63af8d8367732b4

A for effort but this needed to be cut down to like 12 seconds

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Galewolf posted:

Not to start a failson discussion but I actually read all three house books and the Butlerian Jihad ones with the naivete of a reader who just wanted a bit more of Dune.

I was hoping for something like what Christopher Tolkien did with his fathers notes and concepts. House Atreides was an okay start but like crumbled really fast and when that scene in the invasion of Ginaz happened I literally threw the book across laughing

I have no excuses for reading ALL Butlerian Jihad books, they start bad and keep being bad CONSISTENTLY

I read those three, then threw the books into the bin, they made the Dune universe insignificant and bereft of wonder. :argh:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Just Another Lurker posted:

I read those three, then threw the books into the bin, they made the Dune universe insignificant and bereft of wonder. :argh:

Yeah, I know :sigh:

It's like how modern Star Wars systematically got robbed of mystery and wonder by over explaining EVERYTHING or having five million different inputs

Like, I can't watch the OG trilogy and feel all excited about Luke's journey when I know it ends up with him drinking green alien milk straight from the titties

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Galewolf posted:

It's like how modern Star Wars systematically got robbed of mystery and wonder by over explaining EVERYTHING or having five million different inputs

Like, I can't watch the OG trilogy and feel all excited about Luke's journey when I know it ends up with him drinking green alien milk straight from the titties

I'm grateful that Tolkien included inexplicable stuff in his stories, Tom Bombadil being the best (albeit most annoying) example. And it's not just written to add a touch of mystery to the world. The nameless Things gnawing at the root of the world might not fit with the rules of the world, but they absolutely fit with the vibe.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Also while a few things are explained in the extended Tolkien canon it adds just as many things that aren't elaborated on talking dog, vampire that is also a giant bat, iron dragons, etc.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

I Greyhound posted:

>*vinyl scratch sound*
>YOU'RE NOW LISTENING TO
>*ornithopter flyby*
>101.19
>*thumper pounding*
>ARRAKIS FM
>*explosion*
>*sandworm sound*
>*sardaukar chanting*

https://soundcloud.com/takom-ironhoof-horseridingvet/arks-fm?si=7dfe41ca07f442bbb63af8d8367732b4

:lol::lol::lol:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I Greyhound posted:

>*vinyl scratch sound*
>YOU'RE NOW LISTENING TO
>*ornithopter flyby*
>101.19
>*thumper pounding*
>ARRAKIS FM
>*explosion*
>*sandworm sound*
>*sardaukar chanting*

this is incredible

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Galewolf posted:

Nah, that owned. Crazy old hermit is the idea outcome for Star Wars characters. (Obi-Wan, Yoda, Luke.) It sucks when they try to do other things.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, that owned. Crazy old hermit is the idea outcome for Star Wars characters. (Obi-Wan, Yoda, Luke.) It sucks when they try to do other things.

do you think there's a club they join, and they get assigned a random planet to hermit on? it would be awkward to be the mysterious hermit and down the road there's another one, so you have your pick of mythical help.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

What’s the 101.19 part of the joke,

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Toxic Mental posted:

What’s the 101.19 part of the joke,

it's the padishah emperors year of birth

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Now imagining Feyd-Rautha doing his absolute best to sing along with Imagine Dragons
"Lightning [dying whale sounds] and thunder" *clap clap*

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Sorry mang, having a redheaded bombshell assassin / sith wife is the only outcome for Luke and I won't be hearing otherwise :colbert:

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Does Maul technically count as red headed?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I saw this again last night and it’s so funny how Butler reads the line about Chani in the final duel. Like the book line is basically just a crude rape threat to psych Paul out, but while they didn’t modify the text too much, the way he delivers it, and especially with the context that the only people he ever shows concern for are his own pet cannibal slaves, it ends up sounding like he’s sincerely concerned for what will happen to the “pet” when Paul is dead. Any particular brand of people she likes to eat?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah I was initially a little disappointed they made Rabban into more of a dumb brute, but on reflection Feyd is so well done I'm okay with it

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I know it's a little on the nose, but I loved the scene where Raban tries leading from the front and almost instantly realizes Fremen are scary, and he's a bit of a coward.

Yeah he loses something in the adaptation but it's still dumb fun to watch a violent bully poo poo his pants at resistence and agreed it's deliberate choice to heighten the contrast with Feyd, the "honorable" and urbane Harkonen for a mass audience feature film.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 11, 2024

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Feyds inner monologue in the book when he realizes the Atreides gladiator he's fighting might be just a bit spicier than he was expecting was :discourse:

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

bilal kaifa

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
do not upset murderbaby.
https://nerdist.com/article/watch-newly-restored-deleted-scene-from-david-lynch-dune/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbaYiWE3Ttk

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Rings within rings.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://www.redcross.org/humanityinwar/ihl-events.html

The Red Cross is doing a free talk to teach people what the international laws of war actually say using examples based on Dune.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

Galewolf posted:

Sorry mang, having a redheaded bombshell assassin / sith wife is the only outcome for Luke and I won't be hearing otherwise :colbert:

just like real priests, all the jedi's problems start with failing to remain celibate

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

golden bubble posted:

https://www.redcross.org/humanityinwar/ihl-events.html

The Red Cross is doing a free talk to teach people what the international laws of war actually say using examples based on Dune.

Okay, look, the Geneva Convention doesn't specifically forbid the possession of a cannibal harem, but that still doesn't mean--

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Alia is never not creepy AF

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

You got to hand it to Lynch at least he didn’t completely shy away from the source material, that chapter is so good too.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
I've seen Dune 2 2 times within the span of 3 days, on IMAX (at the closest seats to the screen as well) and well Ideas Were Formed

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
His name is a refreshing word

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
What's in the box?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Don't step on my blue Feyd shoes

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Tree Bucket posted:

Don't step on my blue Feyd shoes

lmao

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Guys
Guys
It's Fade Rautha, ahahaha
Originally I drew him with sunglasses but I had to delete it as it caused me to think some thoughts I'm just not ready to have

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

you ain't nothing but a chair dog

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

Guys
Guys
It's Fade Rautha, ahahaha
Originally I drew him with sunglasses but I had to delete it as it caused me to think some thoughts I'm just not ready to have
Hahaha, absolutely amazing

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

kull wahad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!