Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I'm trying out the arc thrower and I wish it did less of this

https://i.imgur.com/9Iwx0dY.mp4

But I'm starting to get a handle on the fact that you can be just constantly diving like a madman with it because it doesn't impact your shooting at all, and diving backwards before blasting nearby things seems to help with consistency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Also neat that you can blind fire it into fog and WHOA gently caress

https://i.imgur.com/BiaKHIv.mp4

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Jakabite posted:

This has to be the most cinematic non-“linear action/rpg game” ever right?

It certainly has my vote. I think what I like about it is that it's rough and chaotic, seemingly uncompromisingly.

The Elden ring of action shooters, where expression of individual skill really can shine but doesn't completely nullify something randomly ruining your (fragile) life.

It's the quintessential ODST experience for me.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Triarii posted:

I'm trying out the arc thrower and I wish it did less of this

https://i.imgur.com/9Iwx0dY.mp4

But I'm starting to get a handle on the fact that you can be just constantly diving like a madman with it because it doesn't impact your shooting at all, and diving backwards before blasting nearby things seems to help with consistency.

Aim up! Aim over things heads when corpses and bushes and terrain are around. Definitely don't aim downwards.

Also it's hard to tell on my phone but it seems you may be releasing the trigger early without a good arc rhythm going first. I could be wrong.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Triarii posted:

Also neat that you can blind fire it into fog and WHOA gently caress

https://i.imgur.com/BiaKHIv.mp4

It's pretty good when you get used to it

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Jakabite posted:

Me and a buddy were doing an exterminate mission earlier and both got our mechs down near the end and went back to back like that bit in Matrix 3 while the 2 pubbies continued blasting and calling in air strikes. It was badass. There’s also nothing like being chased by a huge bug horde and seeing your friend on voice chat come over the hill in a mech. And just start absolutely ripping bullets and rockets right over your shoulder.

This has to be the most cinematic non-“linear action/rpg game” ever right?

Combined with the incredible graphics this game is full of 'this could be a scene from an action movie'. I always enjoy when someone drops a 500kg and the Titan walks through the smoke and fire like some kind of terrifying demon. Or a bug breach happens near extract and it gets absolutely lit up with 4 different calldowns.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Goddam. I was on mission 3/3 for a Hard campaign and my game crashed as we called in extract. I was playing with pubbies so I couldn’t just rejoin the squad which is loving stupid.

Jesus Christ.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

All shadowy areas in my game are all washed out/black. Weird HDR or contrast fuckery going on. Any idea what setting to tweak?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

PacoPepe posted:

I didn't knew what breech loading was, which is what the super destroyer guns do, so I googled it........man Super Earth is cheap AF.

I got it confused with muzzle loading and imagined someone having to do a spacewalk every time I called down an orbital

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

ijyt posted:

I got it confused with muzzle loading and imagined someone having to do a spacewalk every time I called down an orbital
That's what they were doing before the final orbital upgrade :ssh:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Insert name here posted:

That's what they were doing before the final orbital upgrade :ssh:

no fuckin way I love this stupid game lore

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I'm bad at videogames and I'm struggling getting into the harder difficulties. Seems like it's got a different tempo that I'm still getting used to. Any tips?

Here's my takeaways so far:
-Don't linger, always be moving. If there's a bug hole or whatever you can still deal with it while moving to your next objective, and at least that way they're only coming from one direction.
-Turrets are extremely more situational or straight up not worth it. Instantly gets stomped down by a charger.
-Stop loving around trying to deal with stuff with my regular gun. Call down a strategem, use gun for cleanup.
-Stop shooting a twig 3" away from me with a rocket after I call down a mech :saddowns:

Am I on the right path I have no idea, I haven't got any super rare samples yet and lose most that difficulty.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Had like 50 samples including super samples, team is dead, the game threw a ridiculous number of bugs at us over and over relentlessly on the extraction point including about 5 bile titans and 7 chargers. Shuttle finally comes and I'm kiting into it. The team is telling me I can do it. They believe in me. I'm on the ramp. loving bile titan dings me just as it's about to register that I've made it. Absolutely nothing to be done to avoid it. 10/10 GOTY.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The Fattest PI posted:

I'm bad at videogames and I'm struggling getting into the harder difficulties. Seems like it's got a different tempo that I'm still getting used to. Any tips?

-Don't linger, always be moving. If there's a bug hole or whatever you can still deal with it while moving to your next objective, and at least that way they're only coming from one direction.
-Turrets are extremely more situational or straight up not worth it. Instantly gets stomped down by a charger.
-Stop loving around trying to deal with stuff with my regular gun. Call down a strategem, use gun for cleanup.
-Stop shooting a twig 3" away from me with a rocket after I call down a mech :saddowns:

Am I on the right path I have no idea, I haven't got any super rare samples yet and lose most that difficulty.

You don't have to shoot at every patrol you see. You can crouch and sneak by patrols and save your ammo for unavoidable problems.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

BitBasher posted:

Aim up! Aim over things heads when corpses and bushes and terrain are around. Definitely don't aim downwards.

Also it's hard to tell on my phone but it seems you may be releasing the trigger early without a good arc rhythm going first. I could be wrong.

Aiming higher at close enemies just makes the arc go over them, in my experience. I don't think it's a targeting issue - the arc is visibly hitting the enemy I'm aiming at, it's just not dealing damage.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Arc is weird. Im hoping arc shotgun is more reliable there

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I got a network error as the mission ended so it just put my on my ship...

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Reiley posted:

You don't have to shoot at every patrol you see. You can crouch and sneak by patrols and save your ammo for unavoidable problems.

If it's bugs then actually you can't because apparently they can smell you.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

it turns out that there's actually an invulnerability period right when you spawn on a mission so that if someone lands on a hellbomb it doesn't instantly kill all of you, but that grace period doesn't extend long enough to cover the second hellbomb

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Shadowlyger posted:

If it's bugs then actually you can't because apparently they can smell you.

just one type of bug

the stalker

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Fattest PI posted:

EMS Mortar in a safe space nearby

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Third World Reagan posted:

just one type of bug

the stalker

Yeah bugs are absurdly easy to stealth past outside of Stalkers. Way easier than bots in my experience. In light armor you can pretty much walk within 5-10 feet of them and be fine as long as you're not directly ahead of them.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

if I'm throwing sentries I always look for some elevated terrain to give it a little more lifetime/make it harder to kill. sometimes that's the crest of a hill I'm running up away from a big mess of bugs

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

sushibandit posted:

I've got the stratagem menu on "hold" instead of "toggle" so switching to arrows would still result in stopped movement. It adds excitement to have to stop moving to punch in keys in a panic to call in support/reinforcements anyway.

I've got the menu on 'hold' too, that doesn't halt your movement unless your movement inputs are set to the same keys as your stratagem inputs. It definitely feels worse to not be using WASD to dial stratagems anymore (especially when I'm still getting used to the change), but being able to dial stratagems while sprinting at full speed is massively vital vs bug hordes and such.

Honestly, I'd prefer it if they just disable the ability to move at all while dialing stratagems so I could switch back to the normal setup like how the first game did it where you just have to focus on dialing as fast as possible. For as long as moving while dialing is an option, I can't justify not using it.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Joined a pubbie mission on difficulty 7 and we overextended into double stalker nest and everybody got wiped out, then they call me back in.

No reinforcements left and the full bug breach horde and a Charger is on my rear end. I railcannon the charger and start booking it. We’ve completed all the objectives and can evac but obviously we’ve just dropped every single sample in the middle of Buglandia. One guy says in chat “get my samples!” We only have 5 minutes left on the mission timer and we have 0 reinforcements gently caress the samples.

I run the gently caress away. I kite everything, shoot the fast stuff, and break contact. I stealth past every patrol and base on my way to evac on the exact opposite end of the map. I call in a buddy.

We get to evac, call in another buddy after 2 minutes and the shuttle is on its way. We get the 4th guy back and now all four of us are holding the extraction point, killing tons and tons of poo poo.

Pelican takes off and I say “sorry for not getting the supers.”

The level 45 pubbie says “you deserve a medal and a promotion, you saved us”.

Gave him a hug. Felt good to hear it. The pubbie community has been mostly really positive in my experience but I’m not pushing level 9 Helldives or anything.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

I mean, I was just running solo queue to finish today's Personal Mission, but I'll take it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The Fattest PI posted:

The biggest change to 7+ difficulty is the increase in heavily armored enemies. Most people figure out how to deal with the mass of small to mediums at this point, but if you can figure out how to quickly deal with the heaviest armor units (Hulk, Tank, Titan and Charger) reliably as well, you'll start to feel more comfortable. EAT is probably the best early game AT strategem until you unlock the later stuff.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hell I still run EAT in 8's tbh

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i'm sure its been commented on many times, but the "E-710" missions still give me a chuckle. it's a war for oil!

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

ZeusCannon posted:

The number of people treating this game like its Metal Gear Solid is some what surprising

It is at the core of the game ↑→↓← (20:23)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZvefWP0Y-4&t=1223s

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 12, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's always easier to ditch heavy bugs than it is to fight them so hell yeah I play this game like it's metal gear solid. Just draw them away from something and break LoS for one second and you can go back and do the objective unhindered. Bugs only get difficult when someone else follows you to an objective and tries to fight everything, or in forced combat sections like extractions. And it's fun as hell to Solid Snake it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

ZeusCannon posted:

The number of people treating this game like its Metal Gear Solid is some what surprising

https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1b2w2el/parralels_to_metal_gear_solid_v_in_helldivers_2/

e:

lol

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Remember Helldiver, this is a nuking mission.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

have we decided which hellpod position is the most democratic to launch from (it's second from the left)

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

Vanguard Warden posted:

I've got the menu on 'hold' too, that doesn't halt your movement unless your movement inputs are set to the same keys as your stratagem inputs. It definitely feels worse to not be using WASD to dial stratagems anymore (especially when I'm still getting used to the change), but being able to dial stratagems while sprinting at full speed is massively vital vs bug hordes and such.

Honestly, I'd prefer it if they just disable the ability to move at all while dialing stratagems so I could switch back to the normal setup like how the first game did it where you just have to focus on dialing as fast as possible. For as long as moving while dialing is an option, I can't justify not using it.

pro controller users (like me obviously) just keep pushing left stick forward and move your right hand over to the d-pad to dial in a clutch stratagem while not standing still like you're bug target practice

boz
Oct 16, 2005

slicing up eyeballs posted:

have we decided which hellpod position is the most democratic to launch from (it's second from the left)

:agreed:

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

And went back to go for the full 100%. Thanks to the party of goons who helped me out, and C. Harlow in particular who stuck around with me until the end.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

theysayheygreg posted:

pro controller users (like me obviously) just keep pushing left stick forward and move your right hand over to the d-pad to dial in a clutch stratagem while not standing still like you're bug target practice

I move my right thumb to the left stick to hold it forward, then I can use the left thumb for strategem

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Just starting playing this on PS5, any good tips? The OP seems outdated. Specifically what should I be buying like guns wise, I can’t stop just getting cosmetic stuff and it’s probably holding me back. But none of the guns on the war pass or whatever it is called seem better than the basic assault rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Today the game dropped me above the destroyer after coming back from the mission so I ragdolled to the floor and rolled off into the Eagle bay.

I found a mysterious technician underneath an ammo pile, they didn't have any voice lines though.

I then took the plunge for an unassisted helldive. Sadly after a couple minutes of falling the game destroyed my player entity and I couldn't move the camera or interact with the menus anymore.

Democracy sure is mysterious.