Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

The gay agenda strikes again. Jerry Falwell tried to warn us, "this homosexual steamroller will literally crush all decent men, women, and children who get in its way" (CW, lots of homophobia)

Captain Theron fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

homosexual steamroller sounds pretty gay

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

hambeet posted:

homosexual steamroller sounds pretty gay

I'm in.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

steamsexual homoroller

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Bucky Fullminster posted:

That's a fantastic explanation and now it makes quite a lot more sense, cheers.

good job on learning I love it but if I may offer a minor follow up suggestion maybe spend time learning these basic facts about the world we live in BEFORE writing 40000 words about how to fix it

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Sorry for the paywall

quote:

A suspected high-ranking member of the Calabrian mafia and a former Liberal Party donorhas been executed in an apparent gangland-style killing overnight, putting police on high alert for possible revenge attacks.

John Peter Latorre, 64, who was killed outside his Greenvale home in the early morning hours of Tuesday, has for years been regarded by law enforcement authorities as a quiet but influential member of the ’Ndrangheta.
Company records show Latorre was a director of Latorre’s Fruit & Vegetable Wholesalers, which is based at the Melbourne Market in Epping.
This masthead has previously reported Latorre was part of a small group of businessmen linked to the Calabrian mafia that donated tens of thousands of dollars to the Liberal Party as part of a suspected plot to get a visa for crime figure Francesco (Frank) Madafferi.
In 2005, then immigration minister Amanda Vanstone granted Madafferi a visa to stay in Australia, but he was later convicted over his involvement in what was at the time the world’s biggest ecstasy bust. He remains in jail.

And this

quote:

The best man at John Latorre’s wedding, as well as his former boss at Melbourne’s wholesale fruit market in Footscray, was Alfonso Muratore, who was gunned down in Hampton in 1992.

Prior to this still unsolved execution, Muratore was a candidate to take over the Melbourne arm of the mafia.

When police interviewed Latorre after Muratore’s killing, he told them he knew nothing about who pulled the trigger. Latorre did let on that he worked for Frank Benvenuto, another reputed Calabrian mafia leader who was shot dead in 2000 in what police suspect was a killing to avenge Muratore’s death eight years earlier. This murder, too, remains unsolved.
My interest in Latorre was sparked after I uncovered $10,000 in donations he contributed to the Liberal Party between 2003 and 2006.

Latorre was one of several mafia-linked figures who had donated large sums to the Liberals as part of a lobbying effort targeting then immigration ministers Philip Ruddock and Amanda Vanstone and aimed at getting a visa for Latorre’s close friend, convicted mafia figure Francesco Madafferi.
Ruddock rebuffed the lobbying, but Vanstone approved the visa on the basis of an argument that deportation would have an unfair impact on Madafferi’s children and wife. After getting his visa reprieve, Maddefferi was charged with drug trafficking.

Latorre would later seek to again look out for his friend, testifying in Madafferi’s trial in an attempt to shore up what would ultimately be a failed defence that police had confused drugs with pumpkins.
I absorbed it, and then took a punt, asking him why he had donated to the Liberals and what he knew of the mafia.

Latorre nonchalantly recalled his donations, as well as the fact that he had made one of them — worth $5000 — at a 2004 function in which Vanstone was the guest speaker.

He made no secret of the fact that the donations were given to influence the visa decision (there is no suggestion Vanstone acted improperly), but shrugged this off as nothing more than a case of reputable businessmen, once again, looking out for a friend.

AFAIK Vandstone is still on RadioNational Monday afternoons doing CounterPoint.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 12, 2024

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Got a clear version here
https://archive.is/3Hz9l

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Comstar posted:

Sorry for the paywall

And this

AFAIK Vandstone is still on RadioNational Monday afternoons doing CounterPoint.

Luckily that show's been canned. Lasted way longer than it deserved, who the gently caress could stomach an hour of listening to someone like Vandstone?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

SecretOfSteel posted:

Luckily that show's been canned. Lasted way longer than it deserved, who the gently caress could stomach an hour of listening to someone like Vandstone?

Sky News subscribers?

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
Finally someone is calling out the tyranny of the male gays.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Breakfast Burrito posted:

maybe spend time learning these basic facts about the world we live in BEFORE writing 40000 words about how to fix it

oh was one of the words wrong

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Bucky Fullminster posted:

oh was one of the words wrong

I like you

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
I feel like re iterating that the oed can get hosed

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
not because it's a dictionary, mind you.

because it's from oxford.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

thatbastardken posted:

not because it's a dictionary, mind you.

because it's from oxford.

Stamford University alumni spotted

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
AGLC supremacy

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Clive Palmer unveils Titanic II design, promises 'authentic Titanic experience'

I'd believe it.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Eediot Jedi posted:

I'd believe it.

This is the third time he’s unveiled this project. It will probably be equally as successful as that other vessel named after the Titanic (the Titan submersible), assuming it ever gets built

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Eediot Jedi posted:

I'd believe it.

there gonna be bike paths to the ship?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Eediot Jedi posted:

I'd believe it.

Is Clive Palmer's Nephew still galivanting around Eastern Europe on money owed to the workers in his Nickel Mine?

Has fat Clive paid Twisted Sister the money he owes them yet?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
This is very auspol-tangential, but Lee Lin Chin is auctioning off some of her clothing...

Go forth and become the tiny, immaculately dressed newsreader you want to see in the world!

Also, this week in places nobody cares about Perth...

People keep daring to move to inner city areas and *gasp* have babies, and expect the state government to adequately provide public schools for them?! For shame!

But seriously how did they not see this coming from a million miles off? Or did they, and thought "nah she'll be right"?

froglet fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 13, 2024

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

froglet posted:

This is very auspol-tangential, but Lee Lin Chin is auctioning off some of her clothing...

Go forth and become the tiny, immaculately dressed newsreader you want to see in the world!

Also, this week in places nobody cares about Perth...

People keep daring to move to inner city areas and *gasp* have babies, and expect the state government to adequately provide public schools for them?! For shame!

But seriously how did they not see this coming from a million miles off? Or did they, and thought "nah she'll be right"?

Chronic under-investment and overpacking of students into schools?

Say it ain't so!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Is there anywhere to actually put new schools in those areas? Wouldn’t nearly all the land already be used for other poo poo?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

gay picnic defence posted:

Is there anywhere to actually put new schools in those areas? Wouldn’t nearly all the land already be used for other poo poo?
With the decline in bricks and mortar retailing there should be plenty of disussed shops to repurpose. The problem is the disconect between local and state planning.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Cartoon posted:

With the decline in bricks and mortar retailing there should be plenty of disussed shops to repurpose. The problem is the disconect between local and state planning.

They are typically small lots scattered throughout a suburb rather than a consolidated pocket that could be converted into a school.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Eagerly anticipating the Google maps crayon drawings that will solve the problem

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/john_macgowan/status/1768033262767845736

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

we have options

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
The children yearn for the mines

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Even if there isn't, this sort of thing is exactly why eminent domain and compulsory acquisition laws exist.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

The children yearn for the mines

But really I want it to be this :v:

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

froglet posted:

Even if there isn't, this sort of thing is exactly why eminent domain and compulsory acquisition laws exist.

No, those are for getting bike paths built.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I remember back in the 90s here in Vic when shitbag premier Jeff Kennett sold off a whole lot of public institutions including a bunch of schools which got bulldozed to make way for new housing estates. Oops, turns out we may have needed those ....

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Give this a watch. You might learn something. The TF2 hat economist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3_I18eEABU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Brisbane had the BSSSC recently built in Dutton Park which is 1.5km in a straight line from the Brisbane State High School, the 'premier' state school in QLD. It was the first secondary state school built so close to the city in many decades.

webmeister posted:

Eagerly anticipating the Google maps crayon drawings that will solve the problem
Dick shaped lots and ballsack bike tracks.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Budzilla posted:

Brisbane had the BSSSC recently built in Dutton Park which is 1.5km in a straight line from the Brisbane State High School, the 'premier' state school in QLD. It was the first secondary state school built so close to the city in many decades.

Dick shaped lots and ballsack bike tracks.

Not sure of the background, but the Fortitude Valley State School is also freshly built.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian AU posted:

Australia’s science agency, CSIRO, has rejected Peter Dutton’s claim its estimates of the cost of renewables are unreliable.

CSIRO chief executive, Douglas Hilton, has warned that maintaining trust “requires our political leaders to resist the temptation to disparage science”, rejecting Dutton’s comments about its GenCost report.

But the opposition leader has doubled down, repeating his incorrect claim on Friday that the report does not properly cost renewables and transmission required to integrate them into the grid.

Dutton disparaging CSIRO.

Guardian AU posted:

Some Coles workers say an offer from the supermarket giant of in-store gift cards if they vote to accept a new enterprise agreement is “insulting”, and the agreement doesn’t give them a meaningful pay rise despite the company’s increased profits.

The SDA has hailed the proposed agreement as improving wages and allowances, enabling fairer rostering and including better leave provisions.

But the RAFFWU has decried it as undermining safety conditions, introducing split shifts and tying any pay rise only to Fair Work’s annual wage review, which increases award minimums. Under the agreement, a level one Coles worker would earn $25.27 per hour, just 54 cents above the award base rate.
Coles posted a 4.8% rise in annual profit to $1.1bn last financial year and has been accused of inflationary profiteering amid the cost-of-living crisis. The company has defended its pricing and said it was working hard to keep goods affordable.

Since bargaining opened, the RAFFWU has been campaigning for a minimum wage of $29 an hour, the abolition of junior rates (which still apply to Coles workers for two years after they turn 18), as well as better job security and safer workplaces. Its members took rolling strike action in stores across the country in the lead-up to Christmas. SDA members did not take industrial action.

Lol, loving coles. loving SDA, scab rear end loving union.

hooman fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 15, 2024

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
lets integrate dutton into the grid

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

hooman posted:

Dutton disparaging CSIRO.

Lol, loving coles. loving SDA, scab rear end loving union.

Keep junior rates two years after they turn 18?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Eediot Jedi posted:

Keep junior rates two years after they turn 18?

Yeah raised my eyebrows too, loving cunts:

Woolies is no better, it all comes from the award, same pay for same work should be a bedrock of industrial relations law and instead it's gently caress you if you're under 20.

In better news:

Guardian AU posted:

Australia is reinstating funding to a key UN aid agency amid growing concerns about the worsening humanitarian crisis in Gaza. The foreign minister, Penny Wong, announced the decision to unfreeze $6m in emergency funding for UNRWA on Friday, as part of a broader package of support. Australia was among more than a dozen donor countries to suspend funding to the agency in late January, after the Israeli government alleged that 12 UNRWA staff members were involved in the 7 October Hamas-led attacks on Israel. Friday’s decision to reinstate funding follows similar moves by Canada and Sweden.

Wong told reporters in Adelaide:
We took a decision to pause $6m of additional funding … after serious allegations were made resulting in UNRWA’s dismissal of staff alleged to have been involved in the Hamas terrorist attacks of 7 October. The nature of these allegations warranted an immediate and appropriate response. The best available current advice from agencies and the Australian government lawyers is that UNRWA is not a terrorist organisation and that existing additional safeguards sufficiently protect Australian taxpayer funding. We have been working with a group of donor countries and UNRWA on the shared objective of ensuring the integrity of UNRWA’s obligations, rebuilding confidence, and ensuring that aid flows to Gazans in desperate need …On that basis, and after consideration by the national security committee this week, Australia is unpausing our contribution to UNRWA.

Whoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

trunkh posted:

Not sure of the background, but the Fortitude Valley State School is also freshly built.

I didn't know about that one. The BSSSC opened last year.