Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

oh yeah i forgot about metroid dread, i should check that out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shear Modulus posted:

is Dredge good? it's on sale and i was kind of interested in it

also are there any Lake Dredge Appraisal jokes in it

also also what's the best metroidvania that isn't la mulana or hollow night (or metroid or castlevania)

it's pretty decent, i wish it was more ~keep austin weird~ or had more content, its kinda frontloaded in that the best is the first island and then kinda peters out content/vibes-wise from there. felt like the shipbuilding wasnt as deep or good as it could have been

best new metroidvania: probably Bloodstained (as a castlevania-like) or GRIME for me. or Afterimage, or Ender Lillies. If you like plot/worldbuilding, I'd probably suggest GRIME as my favorite not-HK/not-metroidvania clone type. I really loved the worldbuilding, vibes, and story in it -- which is rare beacuse most metroidvania plots are like incomprehensibly bad

Xaris has issued a correction as of 06:04 on Mar 12, 2024

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i forgot also that i had bought super mario bros wonder but didnt play past the first couple levels

the online gimmick doesnt seem very good

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Dredge is the perfect video game. It's good without being too good, it's the right length, it has a really specific atmosphere and you get to honk a boat horn.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

i forgot also that i had bought super mario bros wonder but didnt play past the first couple levels

the online gimmick doesnt seem very good

The online stuff is completely ignorable, worst case scenario you get to feel good about helping some two year old or someone leaves a standee to give you a hint

The dlc for dredge and the recent updates have helped flesh it out a bit I was a big fan of the ice area and the map size increase makes it seem like there are three more coming

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Drudge a game about menial service labor at a late 19th century english estate

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bedpan posted:

Drudge a game about menial service labor at a late 19th century english estate

Sir You Are Being Exploited

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Shear Modulus posted:

also also what's the best metroidvania that isn't la mulana or hollow night (or metroid or castlevania)

Ender Lillies or GRIME.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Wait, The Roottrees Are Dead was made by the Forumwarz guys? I thought it was a good first attempt at a detective game, didn't even recognize any of their old writing style.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Al! posted:

i learned today by playing air guitar that my sharona, a song i loving hate, has a pretty good solo, like the reverse of a poo poo sandwich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR-3r5Z9kqw&t=154s

It's true

Back in the day, sometimes even dumb pop poo poo like this with no real reason to contain a bangin solo would have a bangin solo in there anyway. Another good example is the Grand Funk Railroad version of The Loco-Motion

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

over the weekend I picked up Helldivers 2 and played it up to level 5. It gets a lot right that I like.

- the difficulty scales all the way down to "literally a baby"; but more than that, the easier missions are also less complex missions, so doing something you can duck in and out of in 15 minutes, while also being not very challenging, is nice when all you really want is a distraction between meetings rather than a full-on serious brawl

I also like this, because it makes 2- or 3-man teams viable, and I only have two friends playing this and we don't want to play with randoms. We can basically just keep increasing difficulty as far as possible (currently just on medium).

Btw, remember to pull up the battle-pass if you haven't. My friends and I didn't notice it until right before we stopped playing, and unlocked a shotgun and machine pistol with it. The latter kinda owns - seems like it trades longevity for damage. Haven't tried the shotgun yet.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Shear Modulus posted:

Yall need to check out Astlibra Revision

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

*Stimpire Copypaste*

I don't know about you guys, but I can't figure out which I hate worse, being injected with Insanity, or being injected with Pressure.

And don't get me started on being tazed with the worst kind of electricity!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1767375304744431705?t=7XRLgosrIfcderoDPzayww&s=19

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

Bloodstained

Iga made it so it's the most Castlevania by DNA

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Fortnite Festival is helping me rediscover my enjoyment of green day and blink 182

paying the 500 v-bucks for Numb so i can emote the vocal line when i win games. This is the new meta

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Suplex Liberace posted:

paying the 500 v-bucks for Numb so i can emote the vocal line when i win games. This is the new meta

I only wish to have an option to turn on uncensored versions of the songs, so that Down With The Sickness sounds how it's supposed to

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

on the topic of songs in fortnite the jam stage is a super fun idea. mixing songs up with other people and doing live dj sets is awesome

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Suplex Liberace posted:

.....I bought that one and sang it while playing. :negative:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I only wish to have an option to turn on uncensored versions of the songs, so that Down With The Sickness sounds how it's supposed to

Yeah that would be cool but alas

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

When I say that handheld is the future of even enthusiast gaming, I'm definitely excluding phone gaming and praying it is not the actual future. I think we're safe though because touchscreens are awful as controllers, but phone games are enormously profitable because so many gacha players are there and ripoffs are so easy to poo poo out.

What I'm saying is that Fortnite is unironically the pinnacle of free phone gaming.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

the children yearn for live services

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Shear Modulus posted:

Blasphemous was pretty good. Blasphemous 2 might also be good.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

When I say that handheld is the future of even enthusiast gaming, I'm definitely excluding phone gaming and praying it is not the actual future. I think we're safe though because touchscreens are awful as controllers, but phone games are enormously profitable because so many gacha players are there and ripoffs are so easy to poo poo out.

What I'm saying is that Fortnite is unironically the pinnacle of free phone gaming.

Stop encouraging Hootington :(

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah that would be cool but alas

I wouldn't even mind a *clean* version where other words are subbed in but it fucks up the vocal charts when they censor it by just blanking the word out and leaving a space there

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

evilmiera posted:

Stop encouraging Hootington :(

hootington is right

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I like how in Helldivers they call the human home planet Super Earth. Just at sometime in the past everyone decided to just call it Super and everybody went with it.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

hootington is right

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

KirbyKhan posted:

I like how in Helldivers they call the human home planet Super Earth. Just at sometime in the past everyone decided to just call it Super and everybody went with it.

i dont think that planet is the original Earth, nor is the neighboring planet the original Mars

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

whats the cheapest way to play dragons dogma 2 without upgrading from my 10 year old 4 core processor and 1050 TI because that game is going to be the new hotness and have the impact the first should have had when it came out

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

you have to make video games cool for it to sell. The PS5 is considered cool, xbox is in-between, they just aren't marketing their poo poo correctly

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

KirbyKhan posted:

what if super earth is not earth

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
democracy wouldn't lie to you, would it

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
it's even better than the regular earth it's super

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

Nonsense posted:

you have to make video games cool for it to sell. The PS5 is considered cool, xbox is in-between, they just aren't marketing their poo poo correctly

A series S is 100$ less than a ps5 but i cannot think of any games for either to warrant a purchase

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

buying a whole system for one game isnt a good investment

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Series S rules, its best game is GamePass. Small footprint, completely silent, functionally identical performance to the Series X at 1080p and still very good at 1440

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Buddykins posted:

buying a whole system for one game isnt a good investment

You've got a 1050 my man, it's going to increasingly become your only choice. If your internet is good it's almost certainly coming to Geforce Now, in which case that'd be your best bet

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Epic High Five posted:

Series S rules, its best game is GamePass. Small footprint, completely silent, functionally identical performance to the Series X at 1080p and still very good at 1440

Series S stuff looks and runs like complete rear end lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

big mean giraffe posted:

Series S stuff looks and runs like complete rear end lol

:wrong: