Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
If you just want to use them once on a while get a portable gas burners, or easier but less efficient, one of those induction converter discs. They are just stainless steel plates you can put under your non-magnetic pot. The disc heats up which then heats your pot.

Those are way less efficient than using actual induction compatible cookware though. If you still want to regularly use your ceramic pots don't bother with induction imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Any recommendations on an easy to use knife sharpener for my father in law that won't gently caress up his knives?

He was interested in the Spyderco Sharpmaker, but my understanding is that it's designed more for things like pocket and tool knives and would be difficult to use for an 8 inch chef's knife.

I'm trying find something that's easier to use than stones at a reasonable cost. I'm aware stones are the best home option and it is what I use for my own knives, but I'd like something simpler for him and stones might be overkill when he just has Mercer knives.

He does have a ceramic honing rod that I've given him, but I think his Mercers have been losing their edge more than the hone can fix on its own. He would be using this on an 8 inch chef and a 5 inch utility.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Yeah the sharpmaker isn't great. A lot of people were into the EdgePro or knockoffs a few years ago. I had one, stopped using it. Didn't work great with my cleaver. Last I heard, the Work Sharp Ken Onion Sharpener is the new hotness, and I'm considering it. Right now I pay someone else to sharpen mine, and I prefer that, but the most convenient place to me doesn't put a great edge on them, so I might need to bring it back in-house.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've had the Work Sharp for like a month now and have not had time to use it. Will report back when I do.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I bought the Chef'sChoice Trizor XV electric knife sharpener a couple years ago and haven't looked back. Dead easy, puts a good edge on the knife, has three levels of grit so you can clean up knives that don't need a full re-sharpen. Your knife's not going to split atoms after you use it, but in terms of effort:return it's unbeatable imo.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Those options are all a bit overkill cost wise at $130-50 for touching up a $30 knife.

Has anyone tried Bavarian style sharpeners like this?

https://a.co/d/0z8v6yT

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If they're cheap knives and you don't want to spend money on it then just get a pull-through sharpener.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Work Sharp Precision Adjust Elite has been working well for me. You basically need to dedicate roughly about 8 to 10 minutes per knife depending on how many passes you want to go through. It’s overall fairly easy to use but it requires a little bit of time to sit down set up the blade, sharpen cleanup, etc.It should be able to handle most things, but I think the much larger knives would be an issue.

Because of this, I’ve been kind of looking into their version of the rolly sharpener. That seems like there’s not gonna be any set up and you can just roll it until it’s sharp.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

or just go to a local knife or cutlery shop and pay like :20bux:, I probably wouldn't trust a random guy to sharpen fancy japanese knives, but should be adequate for mercers

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I dunno maybe I’m a rube but my sharpmaker works fine to keep my small collection of kitchen and pocket knives in acceptable condition with minimal effort in my opinion. Maybe it’s not the hotness but it’s perfectly fine. Maybe the 8 incher is kinda awkward but it’s not like it doesn’t work.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I have this one and it's great:

https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/benchtop/manual/precision-adjust-knife-sharpener/

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
I’ve used a Spyderco Sharpmaker to maintain my kitchen knives for maybe 15 years. Works fine. Easy to use. No big deal. It gets the job done with minimal fuss.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I very much like this one.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Eccles posted:

I’ve used a Spyderco Sharpmaker to maintain my kitchen knives for maybe 15 years. Works fine. Easy to use. No big deal. It gets the job done with minimal fuss.

This is the one I use too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've had my Victorinox chef's knife for like 13 years. I hone it after each use but I've never sharpened it; it's managed to last this long because I don't use it that much, but a friend recently commented that it was a bit dull.

It costs about $10 to get a knife sharpened around me, but I'm wondering if I should just get a new knife. Is the Victorinox still the standard recommendation? There are tons of Amazon listings for "Victorinox chef knife" and I can't really tell them apart. Should I just get this one? It's sold and shipped by Amazon and the #1 best seller: https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-Chefs-Knife-8-Inch/dp/B008M5U1C2/

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 9, 2024

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

For ten bux, why not? If the handle's still good and you're happy with the weight and cut of it, what's the problem?

I think they're still the standard. I've tried other knives and always end up going back.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Seconding "sharpen, don't replace". Besides saving a ton of waste & unnecessary shipping, you know you like the handle & blade / tip shape.

Since you're disciplined enough to build a honing habit, you are probably the type that would learn flat stone sharpening no problem.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I've had my Victorinox chef's knife for 9 years now, I love it!

One of my favorite recommendations from this thread. Well balanced, handle fits my massive paws, and with occasional honing, the edge lasts a really long time.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

I've had my Victorinox chef's knife for like 13 years. I hone it after each use but I've never sharpened it; it's managed to last this long because I don't use it that much, but a friend recently commented that it was a bit dull.

It costs about $10 to get a knife sharpened around me, but I'm wondering if I should just get a new knife. Is the Victorinox still the standard recommendation? There are tons of Amazon listings for "Victorinox chef knife" and I can't really tell them apart. Should I just get this one? It's sold and shipped by Amazon and the #1 best seller: https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-Chefs-Knife-8-Inch/dp/B008M5U1C2/

At the rate you’re wearing through that knife by being vigilant with honing and keeping a looooong sharpening schedule, that Victorinox should be good for the next 237 years or so.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I was looking at a new gas range and noticed they have some safety features that require electricity, and therefore can't be manually lit when the power is out. Is this a new regulation? Or is there a brand that still works this way?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Guy Axlerod posted:

I was looking at a new gas range and noticed they have some safety features that require electricity, and therefore can't be manually lit when the power is out. Is this a new regulation? Or is there a brand that still works this way?

I think it will be hard to get a new range without that characteristic in Europe or North America at least.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Guy Axlerod posted:

I know not all GE models require that. I bought a P2S930YPFS a couple of years ago and have used it during power outages.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Can you just turn on the gas and hit it with a spark?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

No, it's a safety feature that specifically disables the gas without power in case of like an earthquake.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Seems dumb, as far as I know California building code requires earthquake shut off devices on the gas line entering the home, so having it on appliances seems redundant

In my area I get one power outage every year that lasts for a few hours, it’s really helpful to be able to cook using gas when the power is out

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

A few years back there was some kind of terrible gas disaster here in MA, where entire neighborhoods were literally blowing up.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrimack_Valley_gas_explosions

I went out and bought a emergency gas and water shut off tool after that. Who knows if I could save anything in a disaster, but it made me feel slightly better about living in a neighborhood with gas.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I understand the feature is supposed to turn off the gas if your burner is blown out or because your pot boiled over or something like that. I don't think it's a "turn off because the power is out" but turns off because the flame detection requires power. I think I saw one model that made you hold the knob in for a couple seconds like a hot water heater.

I figured all things being equal I'd rather have one that works when the power is out, but I'm not going to hunt down an old model if most are doing this now. I can buy a camp stove if I'm that worried about it.

I also discovered I get a employee discount on Whirlpool/Maytag/Kitchenaid through work, looks like $400-$500 off of what HD sells them for.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

How often do you guys power go out? Feels like a really niche concern but do you just have a really unstable grid in your area or something?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
1-4 days each spring, 2-3 days each summer, and sometimes a week or so in the winter due to tornados/microbursts and ice storms. Also our power company hates us and refuses to bury the lines on anything that isn't new construction.

I don't care about being able to cook (work has a generator), but I do care about hot water. I'm never installing any kind of hot water heater that uses electricity if I have a choice. Being able to take a hot shower when it's winter and the heat is off is what keeps me sane.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Aramoro posted:

How often do you guys power go out? Feels like a really niche concern but do you just have a really unstable grid in your area or something?
The issue is less “whole grid goes down due to something at the power plant” and more due to stuff like trees and cars taking out poles and wires, but often a bunch of poles and wires at once due to a big snowstorm, hurricane, etc.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Aramoro posted:

*laughs in Texan*

Day to day my power is pretty reliable but I have lived through week-long outages (hurricanes, lovely un-winterized grid, etc) enough times to know that it sucks if you're not prepared. Although in my case I just keep a propane camp stove in the garage.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I've had 4 day outages in the midwest. It's wild. Very handy to be able to boil water

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Around here there might be an hour a year or something, this poo poo's pretty reliable so far *knocks on energized conductor*

I've got a couple ways to cook food if necessary. I've got one of those big wok burners, and a camping wood stove. The wood stove can run off of charcoal too. If we have a big power outage I'll make sure my neighbors can use them too if they need it.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

We basically just have a firepit. I should probably invest in a camp stove. No big outages here in the last year, but you never know and our weather can be weird.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
It’s extremely stupid to have an electric gas shutoff when any old bimetallic valve that only remains open under heat from an ignited burner, closing if the flame goes out, does the job 100% of the time with or without input power.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lawnie posted:

It’s extremely stupid to have an electric gas shutoff when any old bimetallic valve that only remains open under heat from an ignited burner, closing if the flame goes out, does the job 100% of the time with or without input power.

Think of it as "the idiot next door might be actively trying to blow up his house" insurance

This is America

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is America

Don't catch you slippin' now

Blow up that kitchen now

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Aramoro posted:

It rains hard for one week out of the year in Los Angeles, and usually that means one annual power outage that lasts 1-8 hours in my area

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Back when we had two incomes, I bought my husband a Ken Onion chef's knife. It's started getting blunt even when honed. I'm in a very small town. Are there any mail order sharpening services you recommend? I used the local sharpener on a less-loved knife and the results were bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Back when we had two incomes, I bought my husband a Ken Onion chef's knife. It's started getting blunt even when honed. I'm in a very small town. Are there any mail order sharpening services you recommend? I used the local sharpener on a less-loved knife and the results were bad.

Is it the Ken Onion knife manufactured by Shun/KAI, or was someone else the manufacturer? If it's Shun, they have a mail-in sharpening service with information here, however you have to fill out a form in advance, and the turnaround is about 2 weeks. I can't speak to their quality, but I'd assume it's at least adequate. Looks like it's $15 as the shipping and processing fee, plus whatever you spend to ship it to them.