Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Did you start this game against robots or bugs?

Do you mainly play against robots or bugs or both?

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I started on the robot front and mostly play there because I feel like it's more interesting.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

where's my animal themed titles for completing missions in stealth???

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Third World Reagan posted:

Why?

Bugs

Bugs

Starship Troopers. But mainly because bots can be real bullshit. Chargers are way harder to kill than hulks but then the automatons have a dozen different annoying things to deal with. You get one shot from rockets from various sources, from the mortars, from the tank, from the cannon turret. Then there's special outposts like the detection tower, the jammer and the command base with turrets. It just feels way more oppressive than bugs. Also destroying fabricators is hard to do with impact grenades.

I wish chargers didn't have that top butt armor though, they'd feel a lot less annoying if it was easier to chop the butt with the weapons that are supposed to be good at it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sindai posted:

Yeah I just tried slugger on bugs for the first time and it was awful.

Slugger is only good on bugs, mainly because it interrupts and penetrates through medium carapace. Bile-spitters and stalkers can't even attack. I'd still take an automatic weapon as backup tho.

On bots I think the Slugger is pointless.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I feel like automatons have more one shot stuff, but their heavies have a lot more ways to deal with since almost everyone one of them has medium armor areas to grenade or use other weapons at.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Slugger is only good on bugs, mainly because it interrupts and penetrates through medium carapace. Bile-spitters and stalkers can't even attack. I'd still take an automatic weapon as backup tho.

My slugger pro tip is to shoot the robots in the head.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

turn off the TV posted:

My slugger pro tip is to shoot the robots in the head.

Hard to do standing still while being shot at by 10 dudes. Easier to spray and pray with something else that kills a weak rear end bot just as easy.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Skill issue tbh, if you don't suck at shooting you aren't getting shot by 12 bots.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

.Z. posted:

fyi, spore spewers are vulnerable to most weapons. I've taken it down at range with a liberator penetrator, breaker, and slugger. It might take a clip or two of your primary's ammo, but you can solo them. No need to get up close with them. Just check for the red X when you shoot at it to confirm you are dealing damage.

They're also vulnerable at extremely long ranges. I've sniped them from halfway across the map with my Diligence while waiting for extraction.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The only thing I don't like about the laser weapons is they only have like a 100m range so you can't snipe spore spewers across the map :(

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
I didn't see it mentioned but I think the defender SMG is also very good against bots. Lower rof and very controllable and so good at popping heads, but also has a rather large magazine so you can deal with the squads of little guys well, often taking care of all of them without having to reload and so they don't really get a chance to flare. You can also blind fire it behind you while running away, and that can save your life because suppressive fire seems pretty effective against a lot of bots, they don't seem to aim for poo poo while you're shooting at them. Also it being 1 handed means you get to use it if you're carrying the hard drives, which is occasionally nice. Solid gun and I think it's early in the free war bond somewhere.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Infidelicious posted:

Skill issue tbh, if you don't suck at shooting you aren't getting shot by 12 bots.

It probably is a skill issue, yeah, but a bot is a smaller target than the average bug, so in my unskilled experience the Slugger is not a weapon I take on bot missions.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

kaxman posted:

I didn't see it mentioned but I think the defender SMG is also very good against bots. Lower rof and very controllable and so good at popping heads, but also has a rather large magazine so you can deal with the squads of little guys well, often taking care of all of them without having to reload and so they don't really get a chance to flare. You can also blind fire it behind you while running away, and that can save your life because suppressive fire seems pretty effective against a lot of bots, they don't seem to aim for poo poo while you're shooting at them. Also it being 1 handed means you get to use it if you're carrying the hard drives, which is occasionally nice. Solid gun and I think it's early in the free war bond somewhere.

I’m still working towards some of the weapons but Defender is my go-to primary weapon right now. Just a solid all-rounder much like the AC, which is my preferred support. It’s got enough range and accuracy to take down berserkers/devs before they become a problem and good crowd-clearing capability as well.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I've probably got about 25 hours fighting bugs now and have no idea how to fight robots, just getting instantly rocketed/lasered/artilleryed all the time

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i've probably got about 25 hours fighting robots now and have no idea how to fight bugs, just getting instantly biled/charged/clawed all the time

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I've probably got about 50 hours fighting bugs and bots now and boy howdy that sure is a nice huge section space to the south that isn't going to be invaded any time soon

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

We're pretty much in a stalemate right now as none of the three bot planets or four bug planets have been able to get any progress in liberation. Oh boy I can't wait till thursday when the next warbond drops you just know things are gonna get hosed. :allears:

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Defender smg gang gang gang

Accurate controllable 70 dmg

Best primary

Haters just mad

Slays everything you didn't kill with your autocannon

GANG GANG GANG

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

PlasticAutomaton posted:

We're pretty much in a stalemate right now as none of the three bot planets or four bug planets have been able to get any progress in liberation. Oh boy I can't wait till thursday when the next warbond drops you just know things are gonna get hosed. :allears:

Does planetary progress mean a god damned thing?

Is this foxhole?

Is there a meta to choosing planets besides map color and enemy faction?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Now that the Knight isn’t as recoil crazy, it basically a Liberator+ now.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Gay Hitler posted:

Is this foxhole?

it means you get new map colors to fight on, or we get cool toys like the mechs / free strategems.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Gay Hitler posted:

Is this foxhole?

Planets have different conditions, like that one bug ice planet making it harder to overheat weapons

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
If you care about the galactic war, the most efficient thing to do is to choose the planet with the most players. Me, I wish I could sabotage the liberation so I get to see new biomes.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Why?
I started against bugs for the first four missions but then fighting diff 4 chargers with the starter loadout made me leave and fight bots. I do sometimes go back to do high level (7-8) bug missions but most of the time I now fight bots. They're just so much more interesting to fight than bugs. Everything in the bot roster is at minimum 5x more deadly than the bug equivalent but they're much more fun to fight. It's much more about positioning instead of 'can you put out enough damage to kill the dangerous bugs before they swarm you' and importantly nothing in the bot arsenal is a hard gear check that tells you to go gently caress yourself for not having antitank. If your squad managed to drop onto a pov with a tank and two hulks you could kill them with just primarys, grenades and teamwork. If you land on a bile titan and two chargers you need to start calling down immediately. It makes splitting up for encirclement and flanking strategies much better against bots instead of just bug deathballing, and a wider range of stratagems are genuinely good against them.

Bots get flak for surprise instant kills but honestly the only thing I think is kinda bullshit about bots is random cannon turrets picking up aggro and shooting you through fog at 100+ meters. Everything else is usually your fault and signaled well ahead of time.

I wish they would open up more bot planets to invade instead of everybody being on drapnir with 10% still at the creek.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Slugger is one of The Meta Weapons against bots, you're either taking it or a liberator/defender 90% of the time. It's not as good at clearing up lots of regular raiders but it still oneshots them and can do so from long range, but most importantly it staggers devastators on hit. This is incredibly helpful for stopping Heavy Devastators ripping into you. If it didn't stagger them it'd be pretty mid compared to marksman rifles but elite devastators are incredibly common and threatening so it's worth it.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Gay Hitler posted:

Is this foxhole?

Not really a meta afaik, different planets have unique effects and environments. Progress in the war might be tied to development progress, and I suspect that's why the Automaton progress seemingly goes back to almost zero so often.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

Combined with the incredible graphics this game is full of 'this could be a scene from an action movie'. I always enjoy when someone drops a 500kg and the Titan walks through the smoke and fire like some kind of terrifying demon. Or a bug breach happens near extract and it gets absolutely lit up with 4 different calldowns.

I had a specific moment playing against the bots, in a planet by night with full moon creating dramatic lightning, reddish tones on the terrain, banks of fog over rolling slopes, and two patrols of Terminator-likes advancing and shooting their lasers to a third player, that basically you could have framed the scene from my pov and put it on a Hollywood film.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Triarii posted:

I'm trying out the arc thrower and I wish it did less of this

https://i.imgur.com/9Iwx0dY.mp4

But I'm starting to get a handle on the fact that you can be just constantly diving like a madman with it because it doesn't impact your shooting at all, and diving backwards before blasting nearby things seems to help with consistency.

It just needs a minimum distance for the arc to autoaim to the bug, that's why people have issues hitting super close enemies.

smoobles posted:

All shadowy areas in my game are all washed out/black. Weird HDR or contrast fuckery going on. Any idea what setting to tweak?

That sounds like an hdr issue, yep. Turn it off/on on the display options. Also on Windows, if you use hdr.

The Fattest PI posted:

-Turrets are extremely more situational or straight up not worth it. Instantly gets stomped down by a charger.

I see level 40-50 players using them,so I guess it's all about knowing when to use it and where to deploy it.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 12, 2024

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Darox posted:

The Meta Weapons against bots, you're either taking it or a liberator/defender 90% of the time. It's not as good at clearing up lots of regular raiders but it still oneshots them and can do so from long range, but most importantly it staggers devastators on hit. This is incredibly helpful for stopping Heavy Devastators ripping into you. If it didn't stagger them it'd be pretty mid compared to marksman rifles but elite devastators are incredibly common and threatening so it's worth it.

The stagger is nice for sure - but it killing anything small in a body shot, and dev's in one headshot is why it's really worth it over marksman rifles.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Why?

Right now I'm focusing more on bugs, but that's because the free mech we have right now is better against them. When they remove that, I will return to fight the bots.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

slicing up eyeballs posted:

have we decided which hellpod position is the most democratic to launch from (it's second from the left)

That's also become my favourite, it just feels right.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Patch out

Overview
Today's patch is dealing with the spawn rate of heavily armored Terminid enemies as well as the possible play against them. It also contains some fixes to UI elements and crash fixes.

Balancing
Enemies:
The amount of heavily armored targets that spawn on higher difficulties, especially for Terminids, have been a big discussion point online and internally. The intent is for groups to have to bring some form of anti-tank capability but not to the degree previously needed.
To that end we have reduced the spawn rate of Chargers and Bile Titans on difficulties 7 and up. In addition we have reduced the risk of spawn spikes of Chargers and Bile Titans.
Please note that we have changed the distribution of enemy types, not reduced difficulty. Expect other enemy types to appear in greater numbers instead.

We are humbled by the community's ability to find things like Chargers “leg meta” in our game, however spending your heavy anti tank weapons on legs instead of the obvious weak point seems counter to expectation.
We are not changing anything regarding the Charger’s legs, we are however lowering the health of the Charger’s head. It should now be at a point where a well placed shot from a Recoilless Rifle or EAT-17 instantly kills a charger.
Together with the unfortunately undocumented change of last patch that increased the armor penetration ability of less well placed shots for EAT-17s and Recoilless Rifle shots, Chargers should now be easier to handle by well equipped groups.

Gameplay
"Electronic Countermeasures" operation modifier, which had a chance of giving you a random stratagem instead of the one you input, has been removed in order to be reworked, and will be reintroduced in a future iteration. We found that this modifier wasn’t communicated clearly enough and overall caused more frustration than excitement with the way it was currently implemented. This change was made in 1.000.100 but was unintentionally omitted from the patch notes.

Fixes
Fixed missing text on several HUD / UI elements.
Fixed several subtitle / VO mismatches in the news videos.
Fixed various crashes that occurred mid-gameplay and when deploying to missions.

Known Issues
These are issues that were either introduced by this patch and are being worked on, or are from a previous version and have not yet been fixed.
Game crashes when attempting to use a stim while inside an Exosuit.
Pink artifacts may appear in the sky when setting off large explosions.
Automaton Dropship seemingly disappears and slides in after being shot down.
Shots from arc-based weapons may not count towards kills in post-mission stats.
Players cannot unfriend other players befriended via friend code.
Cross-platform friend invites might not show up in the friend requests tab.
Players may be unable to select loadout or return to ship when joining a multiplayer game session via PS5 Activity Card.
The Exosuit can destroy itself with rockets if it fires while turning.
Text chat box display is obstructed by the cinematic letterboxing during extraction.

edit:
Other
Players can now see their unique account ID. When submitting tickets to support (https://arrowhead.zendesk.com/), please include your account ID!

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 12, 2024

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Very confused that the leg-shot against Chargers was not the intended method of killing them. Internally did the team just blow two recoilless / EAT shots against every Charger? Now I'm real curious to see them completing higher level missions.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Eediot Jedi posted:

We are not changing anything regarding the Charger’s legs, we are however lowering the health of the Charger’s head. It should now be at a point where a well placed shot from a Recoilless Rifle or EAT-17 instantly kills a charger.
:cloudnine:

Eediot Jedi posted:

Pink artifacts may appear in the sky when setting off large explosions.

I am extremely glad this is a known issue and not the GPU in my PS5 dying

Eediot Jedi posted:

Automaton Dropship seemingly disappears and slides in after being shot down.

The weirdest thing about this is that it isn't a purely cosmetic thing, the dropship literally respawns and slides in from far away. I've been thunked by these and last night I threw a grenade which exploded on a dropship zooting in front of me and killed me

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Eediot Jedi posted:

Known Issues
The Exosuit can destroy itself with rockets if it fires while turning.

:argh:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Good patch. Lowkey dreading dealing with more hunters than chargers, they were the little shits that lead to 95% of my charger deaths with their lovely little slow down and staggers.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

ijyt posted:

Good patch. Lowkey dreading dealing with more hunters than chargers, they were the little shits that lead to 95% of my charger deaths with their lovely little slow down and staggers.

[loads stalwart with malicious intent towards hunters]

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

ijyt posted:

yeah, this sounds potentially more deadly... but maybe its just more brood commanders loosing their head

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Eediot Jedi posted:

Patch out

We are humbled by the community's ability to find things like Chargers “leg meta” in our game, however spending your heavy anti tank weapons on legs instead of the obvious weak point seems counter to expectation.

I mean, if we talk of making things intuitive, the 'obvious weak point' of the Charger is the butt not the head, which have a different color and doesn't seem armored like the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

raverrn posted:

Very confused that the leg-shot against Chargers was not the intended method of killing them. Internally did the team just blow two recoilless / EAT shots against every Charger? Now I'm real curious to see them completing higher level missions.

When the ceo & head of testing played with a youtuber, they said the same thing, and I wondered the same thing. I imagine they always played in actual coordinated teams, like there was always a recoiless team to hose them down.

Turin Turambar posted:

I mean, if we talk of making things intuitive, the 'obvious weak point' of the Charger is the butt not the head, which have a different color and doesn't seem armored like the rest.

And literally was the weak point in hell divers 1 lmao