Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

drat I missed the Lady Clones take down OU last night. They’re in the championship game against Texas tonight. Not a lot of hope for this one, but it’s two more wins than I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

how in the gently caress did tiny Tim Frazier end up the leading rebounder in that game???

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

My alma mater's women's team is going to the Dance for the first time ever and I can't stop smiling for them.
Our school decided to drop scholarship football a few years ago (we were the smallest school in the country supporting a D1 scholarship football team) and a lot of the sports boosters have never forgiven them for it, so it's so awesome to see other sports shine just to rub their noses in it.
I had started getting disillusioned with the NCAA tournament in recent years because it felt like it doesn't always give the best players the chance to shine. But it's great to be reminded that just the chance to get into the tournament can mean so much to these kids.

Go Hose!

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 12, 2024

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
https://defector.com/jmu-and-marshall-played-the-funniest-basketball-game-of-the-season

This box score is WILD. Marshall took 46 more shots than JMU because they missed 38 three pointers but grabbed 33 offensive boards (compared to only 17 defensive) and forced THIRTY-NINE TURNOVERS.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Poque posted:

https://defector.com/jmu-and-marshall-played-the-funniest-basketball-game-of-the-season

This box score is WILD. Marshall took 46 more shots than JMU because they missed 38 three pointers but grabbed 33 offensive boards (compared to only 17 defensive) and forced THIRTY-NINE TURNOVERS.

This is why I like college ball. Absolutely no one in the NBA is going to play a full game, full-court press, and yet I can think of a few teams that do this all the time. 99 FG attempts to 53 is amazing, and the game went to OT.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Hey I made a GDT!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4056261

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
haha State already down double digits to Louisville this is just a moribund program why bother

edit: fortunately Louisville is genuinely that bad, Kevin Keatts survives one more day

elentar fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 12, 2024

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Kenny Payne does not survive one more day.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
I wonder if before now a coach has ever doubled his win total from the previous year but still gotten fired?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Chief McHeath posted:

Kenny Payne does not survive one more day.

yep

https://x.com/louisvillembb/status/1767947688933568732?s=46

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Big day #2

March 13

When I first started writing these, the SWAC had briefly moved ahead of the Northeast in the conference rankings, but now they’re back in the cellar. The SWAC is in real trouble, multiple of the schools (especially in Mississippi) are being threatened with closure by white supremacist legislatures who were never big on the whole “let’s give college educations to black people” in the first place, separate, equal, or otherwise. Anyways Grambling State is the 1-seed (and has never made an NCAAT), 3-seed Southern is the best team on paper, and 2-seed Alcorn State is the only one you’d actually want to watch play. All games in Birmingham.

The MEAC is not much better off, though not under the same level of existential threat. Kinda nostalgic for them at least in format as an 8-team league that just plays straight up quarterfinals, no byes, no teams left out, no other deck-stacking interventions. Norfolk State and NC Central are the most likely play-in representatives this year. All games in Norfolk.

The Big West once again features a very good UC Irvine team trying to survive the conference tournament. The Anteaters are near elite on defense, tidy enough on offense, and very deep; another 13 seed you probably don’t want to be paired against. Their main competition would be UC San Diego, but they’re in their final year of reclassification ineligibility so after them it’d probably be UC Davis or, at a pinch, Hawai’i. They’ll be playing in the Dollar Loan Center in Vegas suburb Henderson, which feels a little too on the nose.

The WAC has flipped their membership almost completely twice now this century, but seems to have come through it OK. This year is Grand Canyon’s to lose, solid all round team and yet another that you probably don’t want to be drawn against. If they don’t get their 3rd bid in 4 years, then it should fall to 3-seed UT Arlington or 4-seed Seattle, since 2-seed Tarleton State is ineligible for one more year (but unlike the killjoy Big West, they still get to participate). All games just off the Strip at the Orleans Arena.

The Mountain West had another very good and completely batshit year, as measured by 5-seed San Diego State having a slight edge as pre-tournament favorite. Any one of the top 7 teams could win this without anyone batting an eye, and 5 of those are comfortably in the field already, with New Mexico at the very center of the bubble and only UNLV totally dependent on the autobid. One feed to keep up from Thursday on. All games also in Las Vegas, at the Thomas & Mack Center.

The Pac-12 is the final conference hosting things in Vegas this week (at the T-Mobile Center), which is threatening to outstrip NYC as a haven for college basketball as well as gambling, which I’m sure will need to no problems at all. Things get real messy here after Arizona on the top line, and Wazzu is probably the only other team that can feel safe heading into the postseason, though Colorado may just need to avoid losing to the Utah-Arizona State victor. Any other winner would be stealing a bid, possibly Indiana State’s, so consider rooting for chalk here.

The American is either a one or two bid conference depending on if Florida Atlantic — who had a solid campaign haunted by being overranked to start things out — takes the prize. South Florida had a remarkable run, reeling off 15 straight conference victories, but nonconference losses will have them sweating if they can’t finish off the tourney title. If both those go down then it’s chaos, and maybe SMU or Memphis sneaks in. All games in Fort Worth.

After being an entertaining muddle all year, the SEC comes in with a lot to play for; regular season champ Tennessee is trying to stave off UNC for the final #1 seed; Alabama, Auburn, and Kentucky are all trying to lift themselves out of 4/5 territory, and a whole mass of teams in the middle trying to get themselves onto the bubble or keep from sliding off it. They’ll have a weekend in Nashville to figure it all out.

The Big Ten is comparatively much more clear cut: Purdue will get a 1 seed, possibly the top seed overall as they seek to follow the UVA path to a championship; Illinois, Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Nebraska are all safely in; and you know the committee will find a way to get Michigan State in there (though feels like they’re overdue an Izzo dark magic March run anyways). Unless Iowa or someone sneaks in there, this one’s just for offseason bragging rights. They’ll be in Minneapolis this year.

The Big East is terrifically strong at the top, with UConn pushing for the overall #1 and Creighton and Marquette slotting in high on brackets as well. But almost anyone else could take this one (winless DePaul and Georgetown, who only beat DePaul, excepted). Seton Hall, St. John’s, and Villanova in particular could save themselves a lot of strife by just taking the autobid. Will be tough for anyone to overhaul UConn though, probably the most consistent team in the sport this year. All games at MSG like usual.

Finals

Southland, 5pm: Will Wade’s McNeese State is an overwhelming favorite against Nicholls State and a real danger as a 12/13.

Patriot, 7pm: top seed and only remotely decent team Colgate taking on Lehigh, who played them tough twice this year.

Big Sky, 11:30pm: Montana-Montana State grudge match; Montana can actually shoot so if they get hot this one’s over quick. Montana took both meetings this year by double digits. Also just for the hell of it everyone should read Dashiell Hammett’s Red Harvest for some good Montana flavor.

elentar fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 13, 2024

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

He can come back to UK anytime he wants, imo. We miss him.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

elentar posted:

Big day #2

March 13

The Mountain West had another very good and completely batshit year, as measured by 5-seed San Diego State having a slight edge as pre-tournament favorite. Any one of the top 7 teams could win this without anyone batting an eye, and 5 of those are comfortably in the field already, with New Mexico at the very center of the bubble and only UNLV totally dependent on the autobid. One feed to keep up from Thursday on. All games also in Las Vegas, at the Thomas & Mack Center.

Been waiting for this for a month. It's gonna be great

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Feeling good about Nevada this year. Still miss Muss, but maybe this is where it allllllll turns around

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Last time I paid attention to Grambling State basketball they went winless but somehow were competitive in their conference playoff game, which I watched on a pirated stream in wonderful 72p.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

realplayer?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

No 72p was the highest-quality the stream itself was sending out.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Poque posted:

As an endurance athlete with no shooting ability, who happens to love playing basketball, this is basically my entire approach to hoops

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Rutgers kids are more ready for the season to be over than I am.

We literally beat this lovely Maryland team this season........... What a collapse.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 14, 2024

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Oh, Arkansas lmao

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

well at least NC State now will get to end this season in its most customary way: losing to Duke in the ACC Tournament

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Probably Magic posted:

See you in Kansas City, gently caress you.

extremely lol right now

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

elentar posted:

well at least NC State now will get to end this season in its most customary way: losing to Duke in the ACC Tournament

Oh don’t be so dour, if this is Keatts’ last ride then I’m glad they got to have an absolute romp before everyone graduates or scatters to the transfer portal.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Cheering for Cincinnati to keep winning and single-handedly ruin like 3 of their conference mates chances at making the tournament

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

honestly i respect Kansas's play, what the gently caress do they care about another Big XII tournament title

Freaquency posted:

Oh don’t be so dour, if this is Keatts’ last ride then I’m glad they got to have an absolute romp before everyone graduates or scatters to the transfer portal.

don't get me wrong, it's great getting to put a knife in Syracuse's back and good to see them finally put it all together for a game.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Montana State wins the Big Sky in one of the craziest 2nd halves possible.

With 17:06 left, Montana was ahead 49-38. At 11:25, it was 53-53. At 2:13, Montana State was up 21 points, 79-58. A 41-9 run over 15 minutes.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

Blue Labrador posted:

I didn't get to say this during football season, so let's loving go Pack! Let's beat UNLV and get 6 seed or some crazy poo poo, woo!

loopsheloop posted:

Feeling good about Nevada this year. Still miss Muss, but maybe this is where it allllllll turns around
Pack posters in a college sports thread that aren't me? Pinch me I must be dreaming

SpiritualDeath fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 14, 2024

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

Cheering for Cincinnati to keep winning and single-handedly ruin like 3 of their conference mates chances at making the tournament

I'm not sure who that would be aside from Kansas State at this point, and KSU probably needs to make the finals, if not win it, in order to get into the tournament. Maybe they take Oklahoma's spot.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Baylor's healthier than Kansas and still has a chance of climbing to a 2 seed if they play and beat Iowa State tomorrow. I think Cincinnati's run ends today. Cincy played their way into hosting games in the NIT at least.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

March 14

The Mid-American Conference has had remarkable contiguity in the era of conference realignment, not having changed since 2006 and even then just to say goodbye to a Marshall program that never really fit to begin with. That said, they are also in (possibly NIL-related) freefall lately, going from consistently the 10th-12th best conference in the country to, this year, the 24th. And that decline is almost across the board: while the MAC has almost never had a runaway best team, they always fielded a few strong squads and had depth to back it up without any real anchors dragging them down. Now Akron is the best team at 113 KP and the majority of the conference is sub-250. The only other plausible competitive bracket teams would be Toledo and Ohio. This sizzling slice of MACtion will be coming to you from, where else, Cleveland.

(Last tournament start save the Ivy this weekend. No finals today or tomorrow.)

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
i know its not the most popular thing around here but it needs to be said: the uconn huskies

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

John Romero posted:

i know its not the most popular thing around here but it needs to be said: the uconn huskies

:emptyquote:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Wake-Pitt has the feel of a bubble elimination game though I don’t think the win will be sufficient of itself for a bid.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

elentar posted:

Wake-Pitt has the feel of a bubble elimination game though I don’t think the win will be sufficient of itself for a bid.

Agreed. And much to my regret, Wake is losing.

I always will have a soft spot for Wake. I grew up near it and, during a winter break when the student band was gone, played in their pep band alongside other local music geeks.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

St. John’s trying to sink Seton Hall’s bid as well.

OPAONI posted:

Agreed. And much to my regret, Wake is losing.

I always will have a soft spot for Wake. I grew up near it and, during a winter break when the student band was gone, played in their pep band alongside other local music geeks.

I have no qualms with the school (ok maybe one in not getting a job there) and I like Winston-Salem but nah gently caress their wack-rear end program

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010

SpiritualDeath posted:

Pack posters in a college sports thread that aren't me? Pinch me I must be dreaming

There are three of us. We are small but mighty. And Mountain West is totally a real conference guys!!!!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
time to end Tom Izzo's career tomorrow (they will get in with 14 losses because MSU)

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://x.com/jeffeisenberg/status/1768367347151380629?s=46

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Where's the hoomos 4 lyfe guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Some coaching moves today. Okie State fired Boynton after 7 seasons, probably not a surprise there since they had a terrible year. Vandy fired Stackhouse after 5 seasons. DePaul is hiring former Ohio State coach Chris Holtmann, who was fired by OSU about a month ago. Will DePaul ever be good again? My answer is no.