Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

exquisite tea posted:

D&D started to become much more popular with 5E starting with Critical Role / Dimension 20 and now BG3. Convincing a crowd of mostly newcomers to learn 4E when all they've seen of D&D comes from fifth edition is kind of a non-starter. They wanna play the version they see on youtube.

I ran a lengthy 4e campaign, and it absolutely has its own flaws. Modules were crap, magic items were so de powered as to be annoying to hand out, and the shift between free play and tactical combat was always kind of awkward. The complaint that it didn't feeeeeel like dnd was also accurate, though dnd was always some variety of lame so i didn't care that much about it.

But it was a good game, for sure. It really sang when you turned the screws on the players because it was such a tight system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

My Lovely Horse posted:

D&D 5 is not so much designed around the idea of "this is what would make for good gameplay" as it is around "this is the brand you need to buy if you want to make crazy plans and annoy the DM like in the memes and games and the movie and in CR".

Except that 5e is a terrible system for improvising, too.

The excellent wild shape chase scene in the movie is a sterling example of this and I keep wanting to hold it up as such. You get told your character's special power is turning into animals and you get really excited to shapeshift, and then you actually roll up a druid, get into a game, and proudly declare wild shape, only to find that you only have a couple of charges, you can only be one thing for each one, you're stuck as it if you run out, and if you timed it wrong, you need to negotiate with your party and/or GM for a short rest, which Mearls just randomly decided should be a problem one day so that characters, mainly fighters, would "appreciate their abilities more." Oh, and you have to learn spellcasting and spell preparation, too.

This is a tension inherent to every D&D movie and a lot of other D&D-ish material: D&D media, correctly, wants to portray magic as whimsical and spontaneous. D&D, the game, is the opposite. It's built around limitations and restrictions that players are expected to squeeze for efficiency. The intended attitude for wild shape, like everything at all fantastical in the game, isn't the power of nature at your fingertips - it's looking over your list of available options, choosing the most effective one, and getting as much mileage out of it as possible. The thing that actually lets you do what the druid does in the movie is a level 17 spell. You get it once per day, for one hour, and it uses concentration.

The game wants you to believe you can do anything you can imagine, but what it actually gives you is all the things you can't do because they're out of scope or a different spell. A GM can make poo poo up, but then they're making up a narrative system on the fly and actively throwing out the $300 list of "and that's why you can't fly as a bird until level 7" caveats they were told was "the brand you need to buy."

People will say all kinds of poo poo about 4e's out of combat rules, but 4e was better at getting out of the way, and was actually good when you asked it for what it was meant to do.

Caphi has a new favorite as of 19:47 on Mar 10, 2024

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

D&D started to become much more popular with 5E starting with Critical Role / Dimension 20 and now BG3. Convincing a crowd of mostly newcomers to learn 4E when all they've seen of D&D comes from fifth edition is kind of a non-starter. They wanna play the version they see on youtube.

I was more asking about the 3 players incensed about 4 back in the day. New players trying to start with old versions would be harder cuz all that stuff would be second-hand only I imagine.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

My Lovely Horse posted:

D&D 5 is not so much designed

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The thing about D&D - and I go all the way back to 1st edition - is that the rules are whatever the DM says they are.

For me, the real fun with the game was mostly with the storytelling, the characters and the world gradually unfolding. A good DM dangles dramatic threads throughout and offers problems to be solved in ways that don't always require combat in ways that don't make the players feel railroaded. When I had a mid-life crisis around 2006, I tried to get back into the hobby and was kind of taken aback by how much it revolved around miniatures, fighting rules and battlemats.

I ran my (then) 9 year old son through a mini campaign and fighting was maybe half of the drama. The rest was getting him to work through the politics of WHY he was fighting and encouraging him to explore ways to outsmart the environment he was dealing with.

A CPU version works, at best, as a way to keep track of movement, actions, inventory, encumbrance, xp, gp, along with weapon or spell ranges - so all the poo poo that's really hard to write down, erase and for a DM to monitor - plus adding the graphics of course.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

sebmojo posted:

I ran a lengthy 4e campaign, and it absolutely has its own flaws. Modules were crap, magic items were so de powered as to be annoying to hand out, and the shift between free play and tactical combat was always kind of awkward. The complaint that it didn't feeeeeel like dnd was also accurate, though dnd was always some variety of lame so i didn't care that much about it.

But it was a good game, for sure. It really sang when you turned the screws on the players because it was such a tight system.
Oh, 4E had some major issues, but the vast majority were because it was built on and in many ways hewed extremely closely to D&D 3rd edition. You could play 4E with gridless, mapless combat just as fun as you could in 3.x, but 3.x felt like a smaller relative fun drop because of the much, much lower starting elevation.

The big problem with saying whether 4E feels like D&D is what makes D&D feel like D&D is different to for different people. D&D 4E absolutely felt like D&D to me and the people I played it with, including the AL group I ran in an extremely Pathfinder-is-real-D&D games shop, half of whom went from an extremely skeptical "Well the pathfinder group is full" to table-thumping glee at critting a leprechaun into the stratosphere. 5E also feels like D&D to me, just an even more garbage than usual version.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The real answer is of course play 13th age which is dnd but good.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

Lol no you didn't.

e: one of the many, many disadvantages of being someone I admire is that that I hold you to Standards in the areas that I admire you for. You're far too politically active to not see that your original post is not a neutral description, even within the bounds of there being no such thing as a neutral description.

I’m flattered to know you admire me but I seriously was trying to provide a neutral view for this thread that addressed why BG3’s 5e rules felt boring without starting an edition war discussion. You added some important stuff for discussing 5e in general, but that was stuff that I intentionally left out because it’s “pyf things dragging games down” (primarily video games) not “py worst things about rpgs.” You and I know there’s a lot to discuss there but it wasn’t germane to this thread when I made this post (it looks like we’re going that way anyway) and I was trying to respect the people who read this thread but not trad games or similar.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BiggerBoat posted:

The thing about D&D - and I go all the way back to 1st edition - is that the rules are whatever the DM says they are.

I never get why people say this about D&D. There's nothing about D&D that makes
For me, the real fun with the game was mostly with the storytelling, the characters and the world gradually unfolding. A good DM dangles dramatic threads throughout and offers problems to be solved in ways that don't always require combat in ways that don't make the players feel railroaded.
Choose your own adventure:
If I responded "What makes this statement true about D&D over any other RPG?" turn to page 69
If I responded "Why are you playing D&D over any other particular RPG if it's not for the particular ruleset?" turn to page 420
If I responded "It's weird how people don't feel a need to say this about good TTRPGS" roll initiative.

BiggerBoat posted:

When I had a mid-life crisis around 2006, I tried to get back into the hobby and was kind of taken aback by how much it revolved around miniatures, fighting rules and battlemats.
It will surprise you to know that, according to a large number of very vocal people on the internet in and around 2008 when D&D 4E came out, no version of pre-4E D&D ever used grids OR miniatures OR maps. Clearly someone was lying to you!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

BiggerBoat posted:

For me, the real fun with the game was mostly with the storytelling, the characters and the world gradually unfolding. A good DM dangles dramatic threads throughout and offers problems to be solved in ways that don't always require combat in ways that don't make the players feel railroaded. When I had a mid-life crisis around 2006, I tried to get back into the hobby and was kind of taken aback by how much it revolved around miniatures, fighting rules and battlemats.

The game's called "dungeons and dragons"; if you're surprised that people make elaborate dungeon maps upon which to stage elaborate battles (perhaps against a dragon) then i don't know what to tell you. When I first played D&D circa 1997, in the days of 2nd edition AD&D, we didn't have miniatures or a battlemat and the rules didn't tell us to use them. But we naturally ended up representing the field of battle on the tabletop anyway, using whatever materials we had on hand as miniatures and terrain. "These pencils are the river, this soda can is the ogre, I'm the green d8, you're the blue d6," etc. It's just sort of necessary when the rules include stuff like "Burning Hands does fire damage in a 10 ft cone" or whatever; you gotta know where everyone is.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

4e was absolutely the griddiest and least amenable to theatre of the mind, but it was also absolutely the best tactical battle simulator because of that.

I think if they had had decent *world style rules for choosing to manage small fights more narratively when it didn't warrant breaking out the battle mat it would have been great: unfortunately they didn't and the skill challenge rules at launch were rubbish and took a while to be fixed.

Treating skill challenges like a *world game (success with consequences, fail forward etc) really made the system open up for me.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arivia posted:

I’m flattered to know you admire me but I seriously was trying to provide a neutral view for this thread that addressed why BG3’s 5e rules felt boring without starting an edition war discussion. You added some important stuff for discussing 5e in general, but that was stuff that I intentionally left out because it’s “pyf things dragging games down” (primarily video games) not “py worst things about rpgs.” You and I know there’s a lot to discuss there but it wasn’t germane to this thread when I made this post (it looks like we’re going that way anyway) and I was trying to respect the people who read this thread but not trad games or similar.
I genuinely want to take this to PMs because I want to explain the issue without boring everyone else but you don't have them!

sebmojo posted:

The real answer is of course play 13th age which is dnd but good.
Weirdly enough, 13th age doesn't feel like D&D to me. This isn't a joke.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Splicer posted:

I genuinely want to take this to PMs because I want to explain the issue without boring everyone else but you don't have them!

Weirdly enough, 13th age doesn't feel like D&D to me. This isn't a joke.

I respect that

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

sebmojo posted:

4e was absolutely the griddiest and least amenable to theatre of the mind, but it was also absolutely the best tactical battle simulator because of that.
It made best use of the grid, but other than describing everything in terms of five foot squares instead of increments of five feet it's no less amenable to theatre of the mind play than 3.x or 5e.

You can come up with many legitimate reasons why 4E was unsuitable for theatre of the mind play, but every one of them applies as much or more to the other two.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 22:54 on Mar 10, 2024

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

As someone only vaguely aware of the edition wars, Arivia's original posted sounded like an opinion a reasonable person might have and the "corrected" version made me glad I'm only vaguely aware of the edition wars

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

Yeah I lost PMs when Leperflesh decided to be a vindictive jerk and throw a ban+a week at me for saying I wasn't gonna post in trad games any more. Haven't really felt like buying them back from that.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Lol that sounds serious. People were correct to freak out about DnD being dangerous in the 80s

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Splicer posted:

It made best use of the grid, but other than describing everything in terms of five foot squares instead of increments of five feet it's no less amenable to theatre of the mind play than 3.x or 5e.

You can come up with many legitimate reasons why 4E was unsuitable for theatre of the mind play, but every one of them applies as much or more to the other two.

Let's just pretend we had a grindingly tedious back and forth argument about this from entrenched positions resulting in no-one learning anything or changing their mind in any way and agree to disagree?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Qwertycoatl posted:

As someone only vaguely aware of the edition wars, Arivia's original posted sounded like an opinion a reasonable person might have and the "corrected" version made me glad I'm only vaguely aware of the edition wars

The "corrected" post very much had the same energy as one of those cars with an entire sovereign citizen screed written on the back, yeah

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Qwertycoatl posted:

As someone only vaguely aware of the edition wars, Arivia's original posted sounded like an opinion a reasonable person might have
That's the issue. "Gamergate was a grassroots online movement that began due to concerns over ethics in games journalism after a reviewer gave a positive review to a bad game written by someone he slept with" sounds like an opinion a reasonable person might have, but trying to explain why that's wildly inaccurate to anyone completely outside the bubble makes you look like a crazy person rambling about 4chan and fiveguys.

Same problem except TTRPGs were niche enough at the time that the "reasonable person" opinion is all most people ever hear.

Qwertycoatl posted:

and the "corrected" version made me glad I'm only vaguely aware of the edition wars
There's always more and it's always worse.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 00:31 on Mar 11, 2024

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

That's the issue. "Gamergate was a grassroots online movement that began due to concerns over ethics in games journalism after a reviewer gave a positive review to a bad game written by someone he slept with" sounds like an opinion a reasonable person might have, but trying to explain why that's wildly inaccurate to anyone completely outside the bubble makes you look like a crazy person rambling about 4chan and fiveguys.

The point is that we weren't talking about how crazy the controversy was. I simply made a post about why 5e made BG3 feel pretty limp to play; that doesn't require explaining Zak and Pundit and Mearls it's just enough to go "yeah, the version of D&D BG3 is based on is kinda meh, you're not wrong to be bored with the meh class design that's a result of it."

Like you're not wrong in the post you made (although you did misinterpret some of the things I mentioned as being other things), but you are going way too hard for a PYF thread discussion about why a related CRPG is bleh.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
There are just so many different things in forza horizon 4 and it keeps adding more. There's a forzathon and showcase events and then actual story based missions and some online stuff? Then also a few different places to buy cars, plus upgrades and constant notifications, cutscenes all over the place for ??? reasons.

I don't think I've ever felt so overwhelmed by a game that's just about going out for a rip through some farmers fields. The cross country races are some of the best I've played since 1nsane and dirt 2

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arivia posted:

The point is that we weren't talking about how crazy the controversy was. I simply made a post about why 5e made BG3 feel pretty limp to play; that doesn't require explaining Zak and Pundit and Mearls it's just enough to go "yeah, the version of D&D BG3 is based on is kinda meh, you're not wrong to be bored with the meh class design that's a result of it."

Like you're not wrong in the post you made (although you did misinterpret some of the things I mentioned as being other things), but you are going way too hard for a PYF thread discussion about why a related CRPG is bleh.
The point is that 5e was "popularly reviled by many long-time fans of D&D for being too much of a change from preceding editions of D&D" in the same way that kotaku was "popularly reviled by many long-time gamers for giving good reviews to things that aren't even real games".

"Many fans" felt "“dead” levels (with no choices) or very small lists of choices" was closer to what they wanted D&D to be in the same way that "Many fans" felt that nothing but white male protagonists and eye candy female models was closer to what they wanted video games to be.

You didn't simplify things, you said a bunch of stuff that wasn't true. The short version of gamergate is "a bunch of fashy nerds got mad about girls playing video games" and the short version of the 4e thing is "a bunch of people were going to lose money, so they poisoned the well on 4e to keep their meal tickets going and did such a good job they set D&D's design chops back 30 years".

God this is boring poo poo.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 01:55 on Mar 11, 2024

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Splicer posted:

i feel the call of edition war too my friend but yes, yes it is

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

sebmojo posted:

i feel the call of edition war too my friend but yes, yes it is
Don't you act all holier than thou sebmotherfucker. You posted your opinions as fact and then got pissy when I told the audience you were wrong. You're making GBS threads in the sink and chiding me for pissing in the shower.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Edition war...edition war never changes...

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah Splicer I’m not engaging with whatever the gently caress that is. My original message was fine and I’m not gonna defend myself to you any more because this is just getting out of hand for a PYF thread.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Splicer posted:

Don't you act all holier than thou sebmotherfucker. You posted your opinions as fact and then got pissy when I told the audience you were wrong. You're making GBS threads in the sink and chiding me for pissing in the shower.

I think if you say something is boring it's kind of weird to respond like this to someone agreeing with you.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think if you say something is boring it's kind of weird to respond like this to someone agreeing with you.
The "sebmotherfucker" hopefully made it clear that I was trying to be funny. If it didn't land then that's on me.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Splicer posted:

The point is that 5e was "popularly reviled by many long-time fans of D&D for being too much of a change from preceding editions of D&D" in the same way that kotaku was "popularly reviled by many long-time gamers for giving good reviews to things that aren't even real games".

"Many fans" felt "“dead” levels (with no choices) or very small lists of choices" was closer to what they wanted D&D to be in the same way that "Many fans" felt that nothing but white male protagonists and eye candy female models was closer to what they wanted video games to be.

You didn't simplify things, you said a bunch of stuff that wasn't true. The short version of gamergate is "a bunch of fashy nerds got mad about girls playing video games" and the short version of the 4e thing is "a bunch of people were going to lose money, so they poisoned the well on 4e to keep their meal tickets going and did such a good job they set D&D's design chops back 30 years".

But surely WotC would learn from the colossal self-inflicted problem and never again do massive restrictive changes to their license without considering community backlash, they'd have to be really stupid or greedy to think that backstabbing the entire industry around their game would be consequence-free after that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Caphi posted:

Except that 5e is a terrible system for improvising, too.

The excellent wild shape chase scene in the movie is a sterling example of this and I keep wanting to hold it up as such. You get told your character's special power is turning into animals and you get really excited to shapeshift, and then you actually roll up a druid, get into a game, and proudly declare wild shape, only to find that you only have a couple of charges, you can only be one thing for each one, you're stuck as it if you run out, and if you timed it wrong, you need to negotiate with your party and/or GM for a short rest, which Mearls just randomly decided should be a problem one day so that characters, mainly fighters, would "appreciate their abilities more." Oh, and you have to learn spellcasting and spell preparation, too.

This is a tension inherent to every D&D movie and a lot of other D&D-ish material: D&D media, correctly, wants to portray magic as whimsical and spontaneous. D&D, the game, is the opposite. It's built around limitations and restrictions that players are expected to squeeze for efficiency. The intended attitude for wild shape, like everything at all fantastical in the game, isn't the power of nature at your fingertips - it's looking over your list of available options, choosing the most effective one, and getting as much mileage out of it as possible. The thing that actually lets you do what the druid does in the movie is a level 17 spell. You get it once per day, for one hour, and it uses concentration.

The game wants you to believe you can do anything you can imagine, but what it actually gives you is all the things you can't do because they're out of scope or a different spell. A GM can make poo poo up, but then they're making up a narrative system on the fly and actively throwing out the $300 list of "and that's why you can't fly as a bird until level 7" caveats they were told was "the brand you need to buy."

People will say all kinds of poo poo about 4e's out of combat rules, but 4e was better at getting out of the way, and was actually good when you asked it for what it was meant to do.

This is kind of an issue with a lot of tabletop systems in general. Pathfinder 1e, for example, has some really weird rules regarding weapon sizes. The very first character I ever wanted to make was a classic "fighter with a big sword" sort of thing, one of the iconic characters is sort of that, a barbarian who wields a big sword! Except her sword is a bastard sword, which can be wielded with one or two hands natively, and it's only Large, which is just one size class above her. The official rules have entire spread sheets for upscaling weapon damage and increasing penalties for wielding bigger and bigger weapons, it's something like a stacking -2 for each size class above you it is. Except there's a second rule that just kind of drifts independently from those rules that states when you upsize, or downsize, a weapon size the hands needed to hold it change. So a medium one handed sword to a small creature becomes a two handed sword, but a medium two handed sword is a one handed sword to a large creature. However a weapon that requires two hands can not be made to require three so is thus just unusable no matter what. There's also a *third* rule just kind of drifting around in the rules of 1e rules that just flat out states you can not wield a weapon more than one or two sizes outside of your own.

The exception is, of course, a singular Barbarian archetype that sacrifices most of its abilities for the ability to wield slightly larger than normal weapons.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 04:41 on Mar 11, 2024

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Please take the edition slap fight to tradgames.

A thing I don't like about Elden Ring is that it's got too many options for character build, and I get horrible fomo.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

ilmucche posted:

There are just so many different things in forza horizon 4 and it keeps adding more. There's a forzathon and showcase events and then actual story based missions and some online stuff? Then also a few different places to buy cars, plus upgrades and constant notifications, cutscenes all over the place for ??? reasons.

I don't think I've ever felt so overwhelmed by a game that's just about going out for a rip through some farmers fields. The cross country races are some of the best I've played since 1nsane and dirt 2

Forza Motorsport 7 had come out a bit before Horizon 4 and was generally dragged over the coals for being slow on rewards, so they overcorrected a bit.

Horizon 5 is even more absurd, I'm pretty sure I had a half dozen cars unlocked after the first tutorial.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Philippe posted:

Please take the edition slap fight to tradgames.

A thing I don't like about Elden Ring is that it's got too many options for character build, and I get horrible fomo.

There's only like two people fighting, and they aren't even fighting about editions. It's really weird, actually.

More importantly though: I'm having that exact same issue with my new Elden Ring character. I kind of want to go flails, but I've never actually done an arcane build and those arcane swords are cool; but then there's always the old standby of colossal weapons being really fun to just smash things with. I hope the DLC gives me a colossal arcane weapon so I can have the best of both worlds on that front. And maybe a giant flail for fun. The result of my crippling indecision has had me running around with way too many runes beating things to death with a club while I try to figure out what to do.

I never knew those night rider guys could be dismounted until today, and I've played through the game like five times over.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

CitizenKain posted:

Forza Motorsport 7 had come out a bit before Horizon 4 and was generally dragged over the coals for being slow on rewards, so they overcorrected a bit.

Horizon 5 is even more absurd, I'm pretty sure I had a half dozen cars unlocked after the first tutorial.

Forza Motorsport 4 was the last one I played and I remember thinking the progression there felt just right. Of course I don't remember there being a million cars in it.

I bought one of the fancy editions because FH4 was on sale and I have probably 30 cars waiting for me to accept, and all the houses are free. I thought it was car packs, but it was just cheating past a bunch of the progression too :(

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Breaking early game progression with poo poo like that is always a downer, especially because the early game is often where things feel the most impactful. Getting your first couple of semi-decent cars in a racing game, hitting level 7 in a JRPG and getting your first fireball spell, the first time you pick up a better weapon than a pistol in a shooter, that poo poo is great. It also helps ease new players into the game and its systems, whilst throwing 30 new cars or guns or whatever at someone is going to be overwhelming as hell.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ms Adequate posted:

Breaking early game progression with poo poo like that is always a downer, especially because the early game is often where things feel the most impactful. Getting your first couple of semi-decent cars in a racing game, hitting level 7 in a JRPG and getting your first fireball spell, the first time you pick up a better weapon than a pistol in a shooter, that poo poo is great. It also helps ease new players into the game and its systems, whilst throwing 30 new cars or guns or whatever at someone is going to be overwhelming as hell.
Borderlands 2 spent a chunk of the intro talking about getting a gun and giving me a lovely gun and how great it will be to get a decent gun.

Pre-order bonus means every game starts you with a gun.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Snowrunner did that with high-quality DLC trucks that just showed up in your garage.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Perennial mention of the Dead Space 2 PC port which came with all the DLC pre-installed, could not be toggled off, and which showered you with all the guns and advanced armor the first time you found a shop in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Far Cry 5 presents you with some kind of system wherein you unlock better vehicles and guns but whatever version I bought for 4 dollars comes with free tanks and jetpacks and laser guns and gunships at no cost the first time you access this system.