Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Probably the same people who designed the highway system and toll roads

nj was uniquely plagued by several different rival schools of traffic design over its history creating some of the most diverse bullshit infrastructure patterns you can imagine all next to each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

NJ actually has the best public transit in the USA. Just ask Gov Phil Murphy, or his wife who is running to replace the corrupt Sen. Bob Menendez (whose own son, Rep. Robert Menendez, is in his first term and considered too junior to succeed just yet).

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
https://youtu.be/1h7HpSHcHWE?si=TEOi0jugT15SLMJE

This has probably already been posted like 1000 times but I can't be assed to check. It's a horror game where cars try to run you over while you try to walk home. Skip to like 5 mins in for terrifying content.

E: pretty satisfying when the player jumps behind a bollard tho.

Leroy Diplowski has issued a correction as of 02:43 on Mar 10, 2024

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Oh yeah did I post this when it happened a couple months ago? I keep getting reminded of it (like by your post) and kind of laugh every time

“The road has been closed for sometime, but they removed the barrier and road closed signs and drove directly into the hole,” said Tillamook County Sheriff’s Deputy Ben Berger. “This has been an ongoing problem, with people removing the barriers and driving on the closed portion of the road. Obviously it is extremely dangerous.”

Seems like if we put one of these in every town and city, the car problem will solve itself

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Rode my bike today

I attempted this 9% gradient back in October and couldn't do it, so for the last three months I've been practicing on hills five days a week, and today I finally had my revenge.

Thankful for this thread for always pushing me to do better (so I can post about it)

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
i hosed up my shoulder and can't carry my bike downstairs to ride it :(

i have been going for hour-long walks though :)

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Oh yeah did I post this when it happened a couple months ago? I keep getting reminded of it (like by your post) and kind of laugh every time

“The road has been closed for sometime, but they removed the barrier and road closed signs and drove directly into the hole,” said Tillamook County Sheriff’s Deputy Ben Berger. “This has been an ongoing problem, with people removing the barriers and driving on the closed portion of the road. Obviously it is extremely dangerous.”

I was think about this

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042489&perpage=40&noseen=1#post534773254

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Petanque posted:

i hosed up my shoulder and can't carry my bike downstairs to ride it :(

i have been going for hour-long walks though :)

just ride your bike downstairs instead of carrying it

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

jetz0r posted:

just ride your bike downstairs instead of carrying it

if only i could ride it back up the stairs at the end

that would own, actually

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Petanque posted:

if only i could ride it back up the stairs at the end

that would own, actually

Skill issue.

But also you would be doing a lot of pulling with your arms, which may not be ideal.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Leroy Diplowski posted:

https://youtu.be/1h7HpSHcHWE?si=TEOi0jugT15SLMJE

This has probably already been posted like 1000 times but I can't be assed to check. It's a horror game where cars try to run you over while you try to walk home. Skip to like 5 mins in for terrifying content.

E: pretty satisfying when the player jumps behind a bollard tho.

Lmao that sounds fantastic, definitely gonna look into this

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

When I was up in the Olympic peninsula a few years ago Google kept trying to tell me I could cut an hour off my drive if I took a coast route that I was 100% positive did not exist. It thought there was a bridge here

https://maps.app.goo.gl/iqyaWbx5F3CCdutY8?g_st=ic

It kept rerouting me off of highway 101

It was really insane how insistent it was that there was a bridge there

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
You love to see it, folks :getin:

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCjE8LKSTe8

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
This thread is gonna have some great lols on april 8th, when the entire northeast tries to drive north at the same time to see the total eclipse. I saw the 2017 eclipse in the middle of nowhere utah, and the traffic jam that ensued even out there was unbelievable

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

This thread is gonna have some great lols on april 8th, when the entire northeast tries to drive north at the same time to see the total eclipse. I saw the 2017 eclipse in the middle of nowhere utah, and the traffic jam that ensued even out there was unbelievable

buffalo has already pre-emptively closed schools that day to get cars off the road lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Polo-Rican posted:

Once upon a time there was light in my life
Now I'm only falling apart
Nothing I can do
Total eclipse of the car

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Credit to Brian Tao of the Cycling in Toronto FB group:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SuLjtvwD63ELMANht0ldPgNkJSGaJ_Vc374PQLH-CFs/

It refreshes every minute, or you can reload it for a new sheet.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Polo-Rican posted:

in austin tx they already declared a state of emergency and expect up to a million people driving in to see it lol

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Guy on a bike just got hit by a car right outside my building. Someone on a scooter was hit a quarter mile down the same street a few weeks ago. The whole country's fighting over the murder that happened a couple miles away while people are being hurt and killed in totally mundane ways all around us.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

in austin tx they already declared a state of emergency and expect up to a million people driving in to see it lol

Millions of people driving around during Chinese New Year and loving everything up is why China committed to rail

https://digitaledition.chicagotribune.com/tribune/article_popover.aspx?guid=0a30c2f6-87a3-438f-841f-2a51e110ba22

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Ales_Kralj14/status/1767166792051343662?t=0Q_oWnP4yqpyiT8gUQCz8g&s=19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why does Subaru make a vehicle (Ascent) that’s like Hummer H3 levels of huge?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Platystemon posted:

Because they sell for a lot of money and a lot of the core Subaru demographic is getting older and wants bigass cars. I'd say that nobody's going to pay $50k for a goddamn Impreza but I guess the WRX actually gets near that now.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

the other day a guy in a subaru got angry that the car I was in was preventing him from speeding, so he tailgated us and then mimed cocking and shooting at our vehicle with an imaginary pistol, before he turned off. subaru’s demographic is like that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/rapplerdotcom/status/1767378168695157151?t=U1jfVNPN94gk0_1NWlUPPA&s=19

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Platystemon posted:

lesbians need big truck too

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

kreeningsons posted:

the other day a guy in a subaru got angry that the car I was in was preventing him from speeding, so he tailgated us and then mimed cocking and shooting at our vehicle with an imaginary pistol, before he turned off. subaru’s demographic is like that.

My parents and I had a similar experience with a BMW driver except he pointed a real gun at us. Unfortunately for him his license plate was easy to remember so we called a cop and they found him with relative ease.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Mill Village posted:

My parents and I had a similar experience with a BMW driver except he pointed a real gun at us. Unfortunately for him his license plate was easy to remember so we called a cop and they found him with relative ease.

And then did what? High fived each other?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

sim posted:

And then did what? High fived each other?

Charged him with aggravated assault with a firearm

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Mill Village posted:

Charged him with aggravated assault with a firearm

Did you get a picture or something? Surprised it wouldn't be immediately thrown out for lack of evidence

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Mill Village posted:

yep that's a BMW driver, biggest pieces of poo poo on the road

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

spacemang_spliff posted:

yep that's a BMW driver, biggest pieces of poo poo on the road

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

hey, some drivers are good.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
graphics card drivers for example

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

mawarannahr posted:

hey, some drivers are good.

Bus drivers are of course excepted but they're on thin ice

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

a bus driver with a gun threatening other vehicles rules and should be mandatory

bus drivers can be the licensed operators of the device which instantly destroys all cars

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

What’s the thread consensus on UPS drivers? They’re good union workers and I find them to be a lot more pedestrian considerate than the fed ex and amazon scabs

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

HashtagGirlboss posted:

What’s the thread consensus on UPS drivers? They’re good union workers and I find them to be a lot more pedestrian considerate than the fed ex and amazon scabs

I see them driving into the 2 way “protected” bike lane a lot less. At least in NYC the problem is there are zero open zones for trucks to unload because free parking über alles so the FedEx and Amazon dudes with like 74 seconds allocated per delivery don’t have any good options. Stupid and frustrating situation, it seems like a lot of these deliveries could be done by cargo bike or smaller vehicles and they need a consistently open spot to unload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Every package delivery driver keeps at least a few dozen other drivers off the road, so there is that. Probably a good idea to replace some parking with dedicated loading/unloading zones if they’re in the way.