Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

when jojo was a shonen they told araki he wasnt allowed to have women fighting

a world without yukako isnt a world worth imagining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this is also why if you look at shonen manga that run in non-jump magazines they're usually less weird about this kind of thing. like frieren is a shonen manga.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

GTs problem was not the adventure comedy format it was everything else because GT had no idea what it wanted to be

Yeah the issue was that GT was bad fan-fiction. Also, I was more talking about game adaptations and such than completely new material.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bad dbz fanfiction ftw

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
When I heard Lisa Lisa getting chumped immediately instead of getting to have a cool fight with Kars was editorial mandate, my third eye opened. That's my least favorite shonen trend and it used to make me so mad as a teen lol. Glad to hear it's changing in Jump (although these days I wouldn't know, because I solved my issue with it by reading stuff from outside Shonen Jump).

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

final fantasy 1 used so much of dungeons and dragons as reference material that sprites had to be edited in the american release to avoid TSR suing them

Every time I hear something about the early history of D&D in Japan it starts with TSR shooting themselves in the foot and basically forcing the local scene to split of and evolve into it's own thing.

Has anyone ever done a deep-dive on D&D and derivatives in Japan? Like a book or docu series or something? I kind wanna learn more about it aside from bar trivia facts like Lodoss Wars being a magazine real play.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
wizadry and ultima are also extremely popular in japan ultima online had a Japanese server with its own exclusive events and items in its heyday and its own version of the hardcore pvp server siege perilous too

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I heard Call of Cthulhu is the ttrpg of choice in Japan

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Clerical Terrors posted:

Every time I hear something about the early history of D&D in Japan it starts with TSR shooting themselves in the foot

ftfy

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
everyone blames lorranine williams for the downfall of TSR but it was mostly Gygax being a grognard neckbeard that put it in that state to begin with

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Nuns with Guns posted:

I’ve said it before but it’s such a surreal mind-cracking moment where someone played Dungeons & Dragons for the first time and saw the roots of all video game RPGs in it. There’s a really interesting and well-documented history there, too. It’s one that has gotten more obscure as video games have rocketed past ttrpgs in visibility and influence. It’s not something involving one fan-translated campaign of The Temple of Elemental Evil complete with secret drama between the players.

I’ve been going through Majuular’s Ultima retrospective videos and it’s kinda funny how much of it was literally Gariott just adapting his D&D sessions into something that could vaguely function on an Apple II.

Also god drat, early Sierra went to some loving weird places.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

YggiDee posted:

I heard Call of Cthulhu is the ttrpg of choice in Japan

call of cthulhu was bizarrely popular with japanese teen girls in the 90s/early 2000s.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

everyone blames lorranine williams for the downfall of TSR but it was mostly Gygax being a grognard neckbeard that put it in that state to begin with

The first 2 editions of DnD are pretty much a "no filthy casuals allowed" that it managed to be successful is down to the fact that everything comparable at the time was 10x worse.

Even now people keep trying to make true successors to ADnD that are dice roll hellscapes where it takes 10 rolls for an attack.

Pathfinder started leaning that way requiring multiple rolls for attacks, to 'confirm' critical hits, and they sort of veered back harshly for the 2nd edition before it got too far.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i still hate ken and roberta williams

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

when jojo was a shonen they told araki he wasnt allowed to have women fighting

Apparently Giorno was supposed to be a girl but the editors got huffy about that and then he stopped giving af and made part 6.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the funniest japan/ultima story is when falcom (the ys/trails guys) wanted to officially license the games in japan and flew lord british out to japan to meet them and while they were showing him their work they accidentally showed a screen of one of their games where theyd just straight up traced artwork from an ultima manual. then everyone sat around silently for 3 minutes and then lord british left the room.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

final fantasy 1 used so much of dungeons and dragons as reference material that sprites had to be edited in the american release to avoid TSR suing them

Killing the Lich by destroying their phylactery in a FF does rule though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

also the funniest japan/ultima story is when falcom (the ys/trails guys) wanted to officially license the games in japan and flew lord british out to japan to meet them and while they were showing him their work they accidentally showed a screen of one of their games where theyd just straight up traced artwork from an ultima manual. then everyone sat around silently for 3 minutes and then lord british left the room.

they should have honored the legacy of Ultima and killed him in the room to cover up their crimes

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

pentyne posted:

The first 2 editions of DnD are pretty much a "no filthy casuals allowed" that it managed to be successful is down to the fact that everything comparable at the time was 10x worse.

Even now people keep trying to make true successors to ADnD that are dice roll hellscapes where it takes 10 rolls for an attack.

Pathfinder started leaning that way requiring multiple rolls for attacks, to 'confirm' critical hits, and they sort of veered back harshly for the 2nd edition before it got too far.

the first 2 editions of AD&D, which is why the actually successful D&D games of the 80s into the early 90s was BECMI

the best D&D video games ever made were also BECMI games, namely the Capcom Mystara games lol

fun hater
May 24, 2009

can i have a long video to watch that doesnt suck. or a edutainment youtube channel with a backlog i can go through. getting back to work

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fun hater posted:

can i have a long video to watch that doesnt suck. or a edutainment youtube channel with a backlog i can go through. getting back to work

Alaois posted:

forget about that sterling poo poo, Face Full of Eyes made a new video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v6SAuwvmOs

fun hater
May 24, 2009

poo poo. everyone's going to yell at me but i havent played firewatch yet. its been sitting in my steam account for a decade

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fun hater posted:

poo poo. everyone's going to yell at me but i havent played firewatch yet. its been sitting in my steam account for a decade

you should watch his older videos then, from the beginning. they're all good.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

fun hater posted:

Here you go
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVSvuryXmoljoT8UZLF-mKnsNtee8y7tq&si=lQYdQr_KljE-JlMn

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

fun hater posted:

You want a two hour deep dive into the story arc of Jon Snow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSy2uaJ7ecU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Grondoth posted:

Huh, I thought she first got attention because people said she was doing things that weren't feminine and thus was a disgrace.

Why do I know that? Why would I know that? This is all stupid.

Yeah, I thought she was the "women in the US are so unfeminine they're men" girl which I wouldn't think the conservatives would be for.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

fun hater posted:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYt-p8W-gZxgIrNzuBg0iOWIWHlpwt7zP

Edutainment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpXy041BIlA (This specific video is not very educational but other stuff on the channel is)
https://www.youtube.com/@CaptainDisillusion/videos

Ariong fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 12, 2024

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

fun hater posted:

Probably old news, but there is a fairly new episode of fall of civilizations out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cuh1oxLHDU

And if you somehow missed it, give a listen to Mike Duncan's podcasts. He did an extensive history of Rome, and a subsequent podcast about various revolutions. Probably several years worth of listen time available from him alone. All well done, content wise, apart from audio quality on early episodes.

This channel doesn't have a lot of videos, but I've found what is there quite edutaining.
https://youtube.com/@NesHacker?si=f3pRDkodhjyikuzt

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 12, 2024

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

fun hater posted:

You're not exactly missing out on a hidden gem but it's short enough that I will momentarily raise my voice at you for not having played it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

fun hater posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXbJe-rUNP8 6 hours on Pannenkoek and the other Mario 64 Maniacs who make the A-Button Challenge possible

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

fun hater posted:

Noah Caldwell-Gervais is still my go-to, you know someone's got a good presentation voice when you sort by most popular and the top is a 7.5 hour long video

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

fun hater posted:

gonna cover some pretty obvious stuff so apologies if they've been posted before

max miller does recreations of historical recipes, everything from ancient mesopotamia to mid-20th century. it's worth watching even if you don't plan on cooking a drat thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa1r9O0-PEE

this guy covers dumb nerd poo poo throughout europe, kinda in the same vein as tom scott. lots of videos but mostly short
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A3IywLiVTE

this guy does videos on ancient (and medieval) architecture. the virtual reconstructions look pretty cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsQZaxHYsgM

kaz rowe covers various history topics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuGRoHgVELk

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

If there is a topic that you don't know much about, have a bit of curiosity around it, and really only want the basics, check if crash course has a series on the topic. They're light edutainment with quality information.

Like if you feel inclined to brush up on your high school chemology, or whatever, they're pretty much a video cliff notes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Endorph posted:

pentyne posted:

they should have honored the legacy of Ultima and killed him in the room to cover up their crimes

lol at both of these

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

KingKalamari posted:

Then in 95, when Funimation acquired the rights to the franchise they initially tried releasing a dub of the first 13 episodes of Dragon Ball using the same voice cast as the Ocean Dub of Z, however these episodes also received low ratings and the project was cancelled and they shifted gears to release the Z dub we're all familiar with a year later.
This was the first anime I ever watched! I was really young and kinda remember it being on at a late enough timeslot that my parents weren't comfortable with me staying up late enough to watch it?

B33rChiller posted:

And if you somehow missed it, give a listen to Mike Duncan's podcasts. He did an extensive history of Rome, and a subsequent podcast about various revolutions. Probably several years worth of listen time available from him alone. All well done, content wise, apart from audio quality on early episodes.
Caveat to History of Rome is that it starts out really dry, like by his own admission at that point Duncan had no idea what he was doing and was just sort of flatly reading off a script while sitting at his kitchen table. He doesn't really start to hit his actual stride until around the Julio-Claudian dynasty so if you're somebody who's primarily interested in early Rome/Roman republic history then be aware your favorite bits are covered kinda roughly.

Revolutions is very good though, with the only exceptions arguably being the American Revolution (Duncan speeds through it without much reflection because he considers it old hat and later admitted it's the section he'd most like to go back and totally redo) and the tail end of the Russian Revolution where imo he just gets into way too much unneeded minutia that causes the narrative to stall out.

Ketchupface
Aug 1, 2010
i've been enjoying this guy, who makes video essays about welsh history, with a focus on misinformation or things lost to time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mlGDZ1ZDFI

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

GTs problem was not the adventure comedy format it was everything else because GT had no idea what it wanted to be

These might just be me problems but I feel like Dragon Ball's just a bad series to try and do an adventure series again now because A) Everyone can cross the planet in like 20 minutes at worst by flying B) Everyone's way too strong by this point that any comparable escalation seems out of nowhere and you wonder where that was since they're all stronger than Buu by that point C) Compared to like, One Piece or Hunter X Hunter Dragon Ball doesn't really feel like an infinite planet that could have cool new things to it?

Also if they're going to go back to the old crew who aren't allowed to participate in any fights I think they should just hang out in a room of one of Bulma's massive capsule domes that has rooms bigger than Chichi an Roshi's houses combined instead of cramming a dozen people around a CRT in the latter's island home.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Ketchupface posted:

i've been enjoying this guy, who makes video essays about welsh history, with a focus on misinformation or things lost to time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mlGDZ1ZDFI

I actually had him come up on my feed recently as well and enjoyed what I saw. I especially liked this video about the legend of an old Welsh kingdom that sank into the ocean and the potential historical events it may have been inspired by: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9onpcWYGcy0

RareAcumen posted:

These might just be me problems but I feel like Dragon Ball's just a bad series to try and do an adventure series again now because A) Everyone can cross the planet in like 20 minutes at worst by flying B) Everyone's way too strong by this point that any comparable escalation seems out of nowhere and you wonder where that was since they're all stronger than Buu by that point C) Compared to like, One Piece or Hunter X Hunter Dragon Ball doesn't really feel like an infinite planet that could have cool new things to it?

Also if they're going to go back to the old crew who aren't allowed to participate in any fights I think they should just hang out in a room of one of Bulma's massive capsule domes that has rooms bigger than Chichi an Roshi's houses combined instead of cramming a dozen people around a CRT in the latter's island home.

That's actually a problem I find a lot of Shonen Battle and Superhero stories run into when they run for too long: If your thing is about your participants becoming exponentially stronger you're eventually going to hit a gap where your main characters are so powerful that the only real plots you can have to keep the story going are to introduce stronger and stronger dudes. It's one of the bigger problems I have with the concept of Shonen Battle series when they're implemented poorly: It becomes so focused on the one-on-one battle series that the heroes begin to feel boringly invincible unless they're specifically fighting one on one with a strong dude they have an emotional beef with.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

GT had the right idea with exploring the universe and encountering aliens and monsters but wasted it by padding everything out and making the aliens annoying amd uninteresting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

You'll remember that "Dragon Ball" climaxed with Goku finally winning the tournament. The tournament which was intended to crown the "strongest under the heavens." For the whole series he kept being cheated out of it but he finally defeats Piccolo and cements himself as the strongest being on Earth. I'm not wild on DBZ but it makes sense where they go from there in terms of enemy powers. Strongest on Earth? Who cares, here are aliens. Freeza's title is Strongest in the Universe I believe.

I think it's why some folks hate the Android/Cell stuff on principle. We are returning to Earth where a guy from the Red Ribbon Army is making stuff that can defeat Super Saiyans, let alone Freeza. In a way, even Toriyama seems to agree with this given Buu is explicitly an alien, too, and then all the newer stuff are also aliens. We get into multiple universes or realities, too.

So yeah, by now, keeping things on Earth would feel incredibly cheap and dumb.