Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Unrestricted ponder? At least wotc is thinking about eternal formats or something lol

Violent outburst seems alright but yeah will be interesting to see what gets stronger on the back of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is this new set related to MKM? Like is the murderer from MKM on the run to OTJ? Also who was the murderer lol?

ilmucche posted:

Unrestricted ponder? At least wotc is thinking about eternal formats or something lol

Violent outburst seems alright but yeah will be interesting to see what gets stronger on the back of that

I guess Murktide is the deck that probably improves the most in terms of matchups, but I think Yawgmoth and Amulet are still going to be the best decks?

fadam fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 11, 2024

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

fadam posted:

Is this new set related to MKM? Like is the murderer from MKM on the run to OTJ? Also who was the murderer lol?

The murderer in MKM was one of the trio of Dryads that make up Trostani. I think this was revealed in the big MKM preview stream, prior to the last story being published in a very unclimactic manner.

The throughline of the last few sets has been Kellan searching for his dad - Oko.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

fadam posted:

I'd genuinely go read the mkm story bc I thought it was fun, but if you don't want to the murderer ended up being the middle member of the trostani, who had been killing dozens of people she thought betrayed ravnica during the phyrexian invasion by drugging others into unwilling assassins .

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

That’s cool lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mike N Eich posted:

I was skeptical of having a 3 year rotation schedule for Standard but rare props to WOTC - Standard is in a very good and open place right now.

Is it popular? That’s what they set out to fix.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Anecdotes are not data but I am hearing things about "yeah Standard events are actually firing in the area now" which basically nobody was saying before.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Is it popular? That’s what they set out to fix.

FWIW even when it was stinky Standard has been among the most played formats for basically as long as Arena has been around IIRC. There was just very few incentives to play it if you weren’t laddering.

People are playing it for the RCQ season and anecdotally the people playing are having a good time with it. This is going to sound more insulting than I mean it, but a bunch of very cool decks emerged when people who aren’t Arena players started exploring the format. This 68-card Slowgurk pile looks awesome.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
Happy to see Outburst gone. Hopefully it makes the format a bit more interesting even if Yawg is going to be the obvious top deck until MH3.

Hoping Bowmaster eats a ban in legacy in the next update. Just too format warping. When you have reanimator lists running a playset of a 2 drop creature, you know something is wrong.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Would rather see one ring go tbh. It isn't as ubiquitous but the play pattern just kind of sucks

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

fadam posted:

FWIW even when it was stinky Standard has been among the most played formats for basically as long as Arena has been around IIRC. There was just very few incentives to play it if you weren’t laddering.

People are playing it for the RCQ season and anecdotally the people playing are having a good time with it. This is going to sound more insulting than I mean it, but a bunch of very cool decks emerged when people who aren’t Arena players started exploring the format. This 68-card Slowgurk pile looks awesome.

I think that makes a lot of sense. Arena is totally wrapped up in its own economy and all the usually f2p junk and that puts blinders on most people as to what kind of stuff to play or build. Even if your homebrew has a 60% WR if it takes 15 minutes to play and has a lot of unusual choices to make, and you're still going to be going up against faceless faster tested metadecks, and you need victories to get stuff for more cards, it often just makes sense to play what you know works and is fast.

On paper you might just have fun showing your weird deck or strategy off, and be facing players who want to have some fun with other people trying out new decks and aren't as concerned with just getting stuff done to earn gems and gold.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's the big bummer of Arena that there's no real way to set match expectations as a player. I've heard that the game does try to count # of rares in a deck or something to set matches, but if you load jank it's usually eaten up by, like Khanstant said, "faceless faster tested" decks. It's certainly doable to brew a deck that doesn't get entirely mulched, but you really have to build around what's being played vs. just going "boy I like werewolves".

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

what expectation is there to set? there's no multiplayer. either you win against your opponent or you lose

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I mean same old stuff you have with Commander where sometimes you want to enjoy some of the lower-powered cards/synergies from new sets. It's partly a consequence of the lack of chat or match queues like you see in other games. IRL and in other games when you find someone playing stuff you're finding interesting and new you can communicate that, friend em', play em' again, etc. etc. In arena you're restricted to "nice!" and shrug onto the next faceless match.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Buddy, pal, friend. If you want to play Some Bullshit on Arena there is Gladiator. Lively Discord and that is also the only way to find a game (except like the second week of this April when there will be a queue). But the side effect of there only being matchmaking by looking for game channel on a Discord is people love to share new tech and talk about weird new combos. If you like someone's deck you can totally direct message on Discord to ask about it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
gladiator is really cool and I definitely want to get into it again

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Ok looking over these Junction spoilers....'Plot' is just Foretell but there's no mana cost when you want to play it? (Oh and it seems like you don't exile it facedown so your opponent knows what your Plot is)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

kalel posted:

what expectation is there to set? there's no multiplayer. either you win against your opponent or you lose

When I play local people in 1v1 neither of us would be playing meta decks, even if we wanted to stick to standard restrictions. There's no way to flag yourself in Arena as looking to play with goofballs doing goofball decks. Unranked queue gets you just about as many meta net decks as ranked even if you're running a bad homebrew.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Khanstant posted:

I think that makes a lot of sense. Arena is totally wrapped up in its own economy and all the usually f2p junk and that puts blinders on most people as to what kind of stuff to play or build. Even if your homebrew has a 60% WR if it takes 15 minutes to play and has a lot of unusual choices to make, and you're still going to be going up against faceless faster tested metadecks, and you need victories to get stuff for more cards, it often just makes sense to play what you know works and is fast.

On paper you might just have fun showing your weird deck or strategy off, and be facing players who want to have some fun with other people trying out new decks and aren't as concerned with just getting stuff done to earn gems and gold.

The other thing is the wildcard system discourages experimentation. In paper if you have an idea for a weird off-meta deck that might be fun or might be total garbage, you can build it for cheap so there's little lost if it's bad. But on Arena that deck costs as much as a known good deck.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Hell hang around on new set release day and some body who bought the selves several booster boxes just to open might offer to just give away all the non-chase chaff. Nothing is cheaper than gratis free, especially not free-to-play. I've turned down such offers just because I basically only do commander and kitchen table outside of limited in paper. Free cards become storage work.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Qwertycoatl posted:

The other thing is the wildcard system discourages experimentation. In paper if you have an idea for a weird off-meta deck that might be fun or might be total garbage, you can build it for cheap so there's little lost if it's bad. But on Arena that deck costs as much as a known good deck.

Yeah but the counter to that is that in paper if you want to play an on-meta deck you've got to spend several hundred dollars

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Khanstant posted:

When I play local people in 1v1 neither of us would be playing meta decks, even if we wanted to stick to standard restrictions. There's no way to flag yourself in Arena as looking to play with goofballs doing goofball decks. Unranked queue gets you just about as many meta net decks as ranked even if you're running a bad homebrew.

if there was a theoretical goofball queue, I would bring a meta deck and pound people into dust to get my dailies. and it's anonymous faceless matchmaking so I wouldn't feel bad about doing it

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

There was some Swedish racing league where you could bring whatever, but had to sell the car to your opponent if they offered €X for it, effectively capping the amount it could cost to build. Could do something like that for arena to encourage brews that make use of underused cards (they'd never do anything like that)

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'd be happy with a paper-only brawl queue

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

kalel posted:

if there was a theoretical goofball queue, I would bring a meta deck and pound people into dust to get my dailies. and it's anonymous faceless matchmaking so I wouldn't feel bad about doing it

This is what the Play queue basically is, most people's mindset about it, and it blows.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I don't know if I could come up with five digital only cards that I think are annoying enough to be a problem in brawl, especially after they nerfed crucias

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

kalel posted:

Yes this is the problem and why people want a queue where that is not allowed and where people can opt to not play with that kind of player and mentality.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
the durdle queue

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

flatluigi posted:

I don't know if I could come up with five digital only cards that I think are annoying enough to be a problem in brawl, especially after they nerfed crucias

I hate alchemy on principle

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Yes this is the problem and why people want a queue where that is not allowed and where people can opt to not play with that kind of player and mentality.

How would implementation of this look?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Even if the queue didn't count for dailies, people would still do it. The dailies are secondary to the thrill of bashin' nerds.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Aphrodite posted:

Even if the queue didn't count for dailies, people would still do it. The dailies are secondary to the thrill of bashin' nerds.

:hmmyes:

There are the midweek challenge thingies. They sometimes have off the wall deckbuilding requirements. But there is no “casual” queue, even there so I guess that doesn’t help.

If only there was an online Magic the Gathering client that had lobbies…

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

flatluigi posted:

rusko, clockmaker five times

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

flatluigi posted:

Any one with a spellbook/drafting, or specialize.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Even if you made a queue that banned all the popular strategies, people are going to optimize for how to win as fast and reliably as possible by the rules of the new theoretical queue

You'd have to have like.. a queue that just constantly rotated the X most popular cards every week or something, which is sort of an interesting idea but I think would be a pain to play. I guess it's sorta the same idea as Penny Dreadful in MTGO (in theory)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

fadam posted:

How would implementation of this look?

I have an overlay that shows me all the most popular decks anyone is playing on any given day (that given day is always 'yesterday' since I have the free version), it's not a secret what the meta decks are. Do not allow those decks or decks that are X% identical. And ban all the meta warping staples that aren't loving up standard, just making it homogenous and predictable and boring.

If their goal was to make Arena just a better software for playing Magic to its strengths (absolutely not caring about the ecosystem, carrot-sticks, economy, or keeping the most popular modes with instant wait queues) they'd a create a lobby system where people just play like in real life with whatever arbitrary restrictions they have in the moment. Advertise a lobby for standard without the 100 cards that make up every deck and choke out countless more interesting ones that you're sick of for the last 3 years, wait for folks to join. Make some idiotic restrictions clearly designed to let your deck win and it's counters to not play and wait forever since nobody will join.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

ram dass in hell posted:

the durdle queue

Streamers monologuing their next play queue

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I have an overlay that shows me all the most popular decks anyone is playing on any given day (that given day is always 'yesterday' since I have the free version), it's not a secret what the meta decks are. Do not allow those decks or decks that are X% identical. And ban all the meta warping staples that aren't loving up standard, just making it homogenous and predictable and boring.

If their goal was to make Arena just a better software for playing Magic to its strengths (absolutely not caring about the ecosystem, carrot-sticks, economy, or keeping the most popular modes with instant wait queues) they'd a create a lobby system where people just play like in real life with whatever arbitrary restrictions they have in the moment. Advertise a lobby for standard without the 100 cards that make up every deck and choke out countless more interesting ones that you're sick of for the last 3 years, wait for folks to join. Make some idiotic restrictions clearly designed to let your deck win and it's counters to not play and wait forever since nobody will join.

That would also have its own meta, which would just be assembling the 49% version of whatever is meta in Standard.

It's lobbies and communication systems. That's the only way.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The solution is to have friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I like to win with decks I put together myself. I don't like losing though. Only winning. I need a queue where I win.