Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Outward is fun when you start embracing the jank, like placing minefields instead of attempting melee. Also when you realise that "death" is basically an unlimited free teleport which you can exploit once you deliberately die a bit to find out where you get teleported based on location of death. Once you know your death teleport network, travel is a lot faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Telemortation is cool but I think it should be an intended mechanic and have stuff built around it rather than a way to get around a game being tedious. Outward does have the stuff that can happen on death, I think at a chance to occur depending on where you are but that’s about it.

Orv fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Mar 12, 2024

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Outward is a bad game with amazing potential, and if you can see past its flaws it's a hidden gem.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, Outward comes up fairly regularly in the thread - it's one of my favourite games of all time and is definitely a hidden gem. It is also absolutely impenetrable to newcomers and a barely-contained mass of jiggling jankiness even when operating as intended.

I wonder how many excited new players have followed this exact progression:

1. started the game
2. walked straight out of town without eating/drinking anything
3. been eaten alive by the Gothic-rear end killer wildlife because they had no stamina to dodgeroll (from said lack of eating/drinking) and there's no 'estus flask' equivalent for mid-combat healing at the outset.
4. gone "this is bullshit. What a PoS game."
5. uninstalled and refunded

I'm actually really surprised they're doing a sequel, as Outward 1 will always be stuck at 'mixed' reviews due to how divisive it is. 2 isn't exactly going to do gangbusters off of word of mouth...

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Orv posted:

Telemortation is cool but I think it should be an intended mechanic and have stuff built around it rather than a way to get around a game being tedious. Outward does have the stuff that can happen on death, I think at a chance to occur depending on where you are but that’s about it.

I just wanted to say I thought telemortation was pretty clever.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Detective No. 27 posted:

what's the consensus on Eastward?

I've never seen any complaints but I'm not sure anyone really loves it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

I've never seen any complaints but I'm not sure anyone really loves it.

It's really charming, wonderful art, neat story and setting

The gameplay is largely forgettable and the pacing has some dull spots

Then they made a dlc that's a totally separate farming/slice of life sim?????

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mordja posted:

Combat too bad. I'll play some jank games if combat good, Outward ain't it chief.

This is me. Ultimately I found the world too big and doing anything takes far too long. Wasn't a fan of the hunger, thirst and weather stuff. Nor the encumbrance. I never really felt like my character was part of that world in the way like in Gothic where you joined a community it felt like you were part of that community because of how the story splintered a little bit and you had your own little space within said community.

I'll keep an eye on a sequel but it didn't scratch that itch like I hoped it would.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Polish studio Critical Hit Games, which was founded back in 2020, just announced what they've been working on: Nobody Wants To Die.

quote:

Lose yourself in the dystopian world of New York, 2329; immortality comes at a price that someone has to pay. In this interactive noir story, lead the investigation using advanced technology, as Detective James Karra who risks it all in pursuit of a serial killer targeting the city’s elite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDpsmhRBev8

It's a first-person adventure game where you're using time powers to investigate crime scenes in a world that looks to be inspired by the likes of Blade Runner and Altered Carbon.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Neat!

Meanwhile, Children of the Sun announced their release date for April 9th. It's going to be a loving banger folks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWmhTM12hPc

And Abiotic Factor revealed their EA roadmap

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh for fucks sake you had one goddamn job. You even talked about how you knew you hosed it up last time!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
At this point, I've almost entirely given up on most MP games because unless they are one of the few runaway smash hits, they are almost certain to be graveyards within a few months. I'm not gonna drop 20-ish bucks on a game, however good or fun it may be, that I won't be able to play next year.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm at the point where a MP game needs to either be free, on game pass, or whoever wants to play it with me needs to buy it for me because I'm tired of wasting money on MP games that are dead within a few months.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Wait. This is a paid multiplayer game (sure, only $20, still not F2P) and it has two seasonal passes? At $40 each?

Oh good, you get weapon and armor skins through these passes. First win of every day, so a potential 365-day grind... which means there must be a large pool of only slightly different skins.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ErrEff posted:

Wait. This is a paid multiplayer game (sure, only $20, still not F2P) and it has two seasonal passes? At $40 each?

Oh good, you get weapon and armor skins through these passes. First win of every day, so a potential 365-day grind... which means there must be a large pool of only slightly different skins.

Yes. There's 100% going to be a large proportion of those skins that are AI generated, no matter their insistence that they only use them as reference tools for the artists. It's poo poo.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ErrEff posted:

Wanna bet most of those skins are just AI/procedurally generated?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Oh abiotic factor is starting in EA? Bummer, I thought the may release date was going to be the full game

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Owl Inspector posted:

Oh abiotic factor is starting in EA? Bummer, I thought the may release date was going to be the full game

Me too but if they can keep to those dates then it will be a pretty quick EA.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Orv posted:

Oh for fucks sake you had one goddamn job. You even talked about how you knew you hosed it up last time!

Tribes is so fuckin cursed.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Orv posted:

Lol wasn't one of the selling points that they wouldn't be doing this? Also: apparently the dev is just Hi Rez under a different name or something.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

Lol wasn't one of the selling points that they wouldn't be doing this? Also: apparently the dev is just Hi Rez under a different name or something.

Yeah they're not hiding that they're HiRez, they split up their games into various studios though I don't know if they've specifically said why beyond "business poo poo."

But also yeah, they said they wouldn't gently caress up the monetization this time annnnnnnnnnnnnd welp.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Orv posted:

Gaazbot!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Orv posted:

Yes. There's 100% going to be a large proportion of those skins that are AI generated, no matter their insistence that they only use them as reference tools for the artists. It's poo poo.

That’s still more work than doing palette swaps

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

That’s still more work than doing palette swaps

That's not a good reason for it to be acceptable.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Orv posted:

the dozen or so most toxic gamers on the planet who still play original Tribes multiplayer in 30 hour shifts continue on completely undisturbed

Orv
May 4, 2011

wizard2 posted:

the dozen or so most toxic gamers on the planet who still play original Tribes multiplayer in 30 hour shifts continue on completely undisturbed

Tribal War really should have some kind of quarantine.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Orv posted:

That's not a good reason for it to be acceptable.

You’re gonna get palette swaps

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

You’re gonna get palette swaps

That's fine if people are still getting paid to do it.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Orv posted:

So much for my dreams of coming back to skiing and screaming out Shazbot!

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Are any of the Adult Swim games worth getting before they're delisted ? Is there any point in Duck Game if I want to do Single player stuff ?

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

re: new tribes

have they said if they'll be adding vehicle and base stuff or are they keeping it just arena ctf style?

iirc the demo had the defense turrets and maybe a deployable turret option for a class, but other than that it didnt seem to have any of the different stations or generators that I recall which is a large chunk of what i liked about the classic ones. that could have just been for the demo though

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Will there be any shazbots?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Hwurmp posted:

Gaazbot!

Shazbot!

OG Tribes was absolutely amazing and waaaaaaay ahead of its time.

E:^ oh poo poo, beaten by this much.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

fit em all up in there posted:

Is there any point in Duck Game if I want to do Single player stuff ?

Not really, no.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Owl Inspector posted:

dragon's dogma takes a long time to consistently play to its strengths. when it gets there it can feel pretty incredible and I don't think there's much else like it, but until then, there's a whole lot of fights against uninteresting small enemies and repeated trips between the game's only two cities and some really boring quests. I think it's worth the wait but it can be hard to recommend knowing what the first half of the game is like.
Here's hoping 2 is better at playing to those strengths and also has at least 3 town type locations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm playing Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries again and Piranha should really just remake it instead of doing whatever procgen generic repeatables that MW5 apparently uses. Haven't actually played that one yet, tbh. I'm also replaying Freelancer with the Crossfire mod and...I probably shouldn't have? It's making me remember that I didn't exactly love Freelancer even the first time around for the simple reason that its actual dogfighting is kinda rote and unsatisfying, and nowhere close to the level of Freespace's. Also: when it comes to sandboxy space games, I prefer them to actually have proper side questlines instead of just the same old bounties and cargo missions over and over. Think: Escape Velocity. Still, Freelancer's story stuff and voice performances are fun with a pretty stacked cast, and I remember the final Dyson Sphere level being impressive at the time.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mechwarrior 5 is pretty fun and you can get tons of new mission types through that one mod which name escapes me. You should try it!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I got a free choice of a game I don't care about when I bought Helldiapers 2 on Fanatic, anyone want one of these?

explosivo posted:

Mechwarrior 5 is pretty fun and you can get tons of new mission types through that one mod which name escapes me. You should try it!
Waiting for them to finish making DLC first.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Mordja posted:

I got a free choice of a game I don't care about when I bought Helldiapers 2 on Fanatic, anyone want one of these?

That typo conjures a hell of a visual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Typo?