Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The whole NCase-suing-Lian Li while DanCases is partnering with them is pretty interesting. The original NCase M1 was SFF gold standard for so long, I'm kinda shocked his other cases and partnerships have faltered. I feel like people really love their Lian Li cases, too, so I wonder about the whole story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there a SFF-PC that is specifically made for just air cooling? Like a i7 or AMD Equivalent and supports large 2-slot cards?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Gucci Loafers posted:

Is there a SFF-PC that is specifically made for just air cooling? Like a i7 or AMD Equivalent and supports large 2-slot cards?

Most of them, depends on what you're doing though. Anything with ~60-70mm CPU clearance will handle gaming on a 7800X3D, it's sustained all core loads on 16+ core CPUs where you run into problems. NR200 can fit a full PA120SE afaik and is a good go-to case if you don't have anything specific in mind.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Gucci Loafers posted:

Xproto? :)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Arzachel posted:

Most of them, depends on what you're doing though. Anything with ~60-70mm CPU clearance will handle gaming on a 7800X3D, it's sustained all core loads on 16+ core CPUs where you run into problems. NR200 can fit a full PA120SE afaik and is a good go-to case if you don't have anything specific in mind.

I mean like the case is specifically designed for air cooling so much there's no extra room for a radiator.

This is really, really cool too.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I feel like an SFF case designed for an air cooler capable of cooling a modern top of the line CPU would probably end up bigger than one designed for an AIO.

It would be cool if consumer PC cases could make better use of ducted air, but the ATX/ITX component layout kind of sucks for it.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Maybe we just need another standard...

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
All the air-only sff cases I can think of aim for a specific form factor or packaging like the FD Terra and console-style cases.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

I mean the velka line is small enough you probably are not finding a way to fit a radiator - I guess that's technically designed for air cooling?

You aren't fitting a tower cooler either though.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I used a Fuma 2 to cool a 5900x in a NR200 case for 2 years with no issues

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

i love mine OP

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Corb3t posted:

I feel like people really love their Lian Li cases, too
loved.

Lian Li went from making fancy aluminum cases with very smart design to selling mass-market $60 stamped sheet metal RBG poo poo. the only fancy case they make anymore is that collab with Dan cases, and that is famously not available. Lian Li really took a nosedive from their ~2006 engineering and build quality levels. I had a PC-1000V2 for almost 20 years and they just don't sell anything like that anymore.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The Meshlicious/Meshroom are premium feeling cases from them. I’ve built in both and been really happy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cygni posted:

The Meshlicious/Meshroom are premium feeling cases from them. I’ve built in both and been really happy.

I’m not comfortable with that phrasing.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Cygni posted:

both cheap stamped steel designs. they stopped selling high end

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The Dan Cases collaboration (atm) is the A4-H2O (should be available?), with a larger mATX "A3" rumoured to be announced at their event tomorrow. Like that's the entire point, having a manufacturer mass-produce certain cases so they're not $250 bucks and constantly sold out (for the A4 and C4, Dan designed them and ordered runs of x units from Lian Li and as far as I can tell he will do this again for the C4-SFX V2).

I don't know. I was frequently checking Lian Li cases for builds in the early 2000s and never bought one because they weren't particularly better than the cheaper "mass-market stamped sheet metal" cases with better availability. Outside the Ssupd cases they have several cases now that don't seem bad at all, unless they're bad because mass market :shrug:

E: Oh I see. Pointless elitism, yay.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
it isn’t pointless elitism, you dork. the cases are obviously cheaper and made with lower quality materials.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

TenementFunster posted:

both cheap stamped steel designs. they stopped selling high end

Lian Li made its original name with the expensive all aluminum monsters, but they were mostly an aesthetic fad. the aluminum didn’t really make the case BETTER than the steel Antecs that dominated the market, just a little lighter and much prettier. the “high end” case market has mostly been for people throwing money away since forever.

the Meshroom/Meshlicious are definitely “premium” cases, with their original $150+ asking prices, good fit and finish, and adjustable designs. they may not be “high end”, but I don’t think that’s a bad thing.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

By a strange coincidence, I was posting about my favourite Lian Li case just the other day.
Xbox 360 case. It was amazing. So quiet (especially once I'd modded the dvd drive out of existence), so pretty (for the time, compared to the standard case)

https://www.bit-tech.net/previews/tech/cases/first-look-lian-li-xb01-xbox-360-case/1/

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I've been pretty happy with my Lian Li TU-150 :shrug:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Cygni posted:

Lian Li made its original name with the expensive all aluminum monsters, but they were mostly an aesthetic fad. the aluminum didn’t really make the case BETTER than the steel Antecs that dominated the market, just a little lighter and much prettier. the “high end” case market has mostly been for people throwing money away since forever.

the Meshroom/Meshlicious are definitely “premium” cases, with their original $150+ asking prices, good fit and finish, and adjustable designs. they may not be “high end”, but I don’t think that’s a bad thing.
they were clearly Apple G5 tower copies aesthetically, but the design and engineering in them was much higher end than today. antecs dominated the market because they cost 1/3 as much. rounded/rolled edges, captive thumbscrews, removable trays for basically everything, fan brackets, and modularity were not common case features in 2004.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Lian Li PC-61 gang represent!

I spilled so much blood building in that case. It would have lasted another 10 years of not for every single screw thread stripping

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Animal posted:

Lian Li PC-61 gang represent!

I spilled so much blood building in that case. It would have lasted another 10 years of not for every single screw thread stripping
a classic. my brother still uses one. the PC series was a huge jump in case build-ability and longevity. poo poo was expensive, but drat those captive thumbscrews. RIP

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Corb3t posted:

The whole NCase-suing-Lian Li while DanCases is partnering with them is pretty interesting. The original NCase M1 was SFF gold standard for so long, I'm kinda shocked his other cases and partnerships have faltered. I feel like people really love their Lian Li cases, too, so I wonder about the whole story.

because the M1 Evo is by W360, notoriously difficult to work with

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I had no idea small form factor computers were a thing. If I was looking to spend about 400ish in filthy, useless Canadian dollars on a machine that could realistically do the following:

- Run basic music producing software like FL Studios and not have my beautiful music tracks stutter because I have like, a few samples and some VSTs loaded at the same time.

- Run basic image editing software. Nothing too crazy, just something that won't lag when working with a .pdf file that has more than a few layers

- Run basic games that aren't necessarily graphic heavy. I'm not an intense gamer but poo poo like minecraft shouldn't run at at 12 fps

For context I've been using a broken down HP floor model laptop with a busted screen, loose keys. It's a pathetic situation but I've still manage to produce ART. I just want to do it more efficiently at a reasonable price. What should I be on the lookout for?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I had no idea small form factor computers were a thing. If I was looking to spend about 400ish in filthy, useless Canadian dollars on a machine that could realistically do the following:

- Run basic music producing software like FL Studios and not have my beautiful music tracks stutter because I have like, a few samples and some VSTs loaded at the same time.

- Run basic image editing software. Nothing too crazy, just something that won't lag when working with a .pdf file that has more than a few layers

- Run basic games that aren't necessarily graphic heavy. I'm not an intense gamer but poo poo like minecraft shouldn't run at at 12 fps

For context I've been using a broken down HP floor model laptop with a busted screen, loose keys. It's a pathetic situation but I've still manage to produce ART. I just want to do it more efficiently at a reasonable price. What should I be on the lookout for?

Are you near Vancouver or Toronto? At the $400 price point you’re looking at a refurbished office machine and maybe tossing in a low-end GPU for better Minecraft FPS. I mention those two cities since they have computer refurbishment centers for that kind of buying (look up FreeGeek city name). There might be similar in other cities but I’m not aware of them (Montreal should be large enough to have something).

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Building in a small form factor is considerably more expensive. Basically every part will cost more. It probably doesn’t make sense to do at your price point, it’s already going to be very difficult to get what you want out of a $400 machine.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Minecraft is a bad choice here I think, because it’s an unoptimized pig in a bunch of ways that no doubt led to its success but make it painful to run on underspec machines, especially if you want mods.

The Java one anyway, I assume Bedrock/Windows-native is better in some ways but nobody cares because it doesn’t have mods.

pentium166
Oct 15, 2012
A Beelink mini PC from Amazon is also an option. They probably won't handle the fanciest shader packs well, but from experience should otherwise be fine with Minecraft and other games with low graphics requirements. Can't say how it'll work on FL Studio but I suspect it'll be fine if you're already using an older laptop. The list price for my SER5 model with a Ryzen 5600H, 32gb of DDR4 and a 500gb SSD was $577.15 CAD. The Ryzen 5000U models will be cheaper - https://www.amazon.ca/Beelink-SER5-Desktop-Computer-Support/dp/B0C5HVGN7N/ is going for $346 right now. They seem to go on sale somewhat frequently, and there are Intel options as well.

You do have to ask their support to email you an updated BIOS, which is kind of horseshit, especially considering AMD's recent BIOS problems. I run Linux on mine so I can't speak for the Windows driver situation.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Plant MONSTER. posted:

A used Intel NUC is the only way you'll have a decent SFF at under $400

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You can get a used NUC for under $400 in Canada? I am very interested in this (but I’ll let OP buy theirs first)

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

You can get a used NUC for under $400 in Canada? I am very interested in this (but I’ll let OP buy theirs first)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/276347200320?itmmeta=01HQ755A1YPNDSYJNP5D104REQ&hash=item405793a340:g:jFYAAOSwS-Zl1mvE

edit: crap I didn't realize the CAD was so low.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah that’s more than $500 Canadian with shipping/duty.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I think the best hope for OP is to find another more modern laptop with a broken screen and plug it to an external display.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I can't talk about price in Canadian dollars, but I can confirm that my beelink mini pc handles FL Studio and video editing just fine.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Minecraft was a bad example. I was looking into beelinks earlier. It'd probably suit my needs just fine tbh.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Minecraft was a bad example. I was looking into beelinks earlier. It'd probably suit my needs just fine tbh.

get a used/refurb M1 Mac Mini

it’ll be better bang/buck, your art software will be well-optimized, it runs poo poo like Hades good, and it’ll give you an in to Logic/Final Cut if you so desire, which are frankly awesome value for what they are at $200

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 22, 2024

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I mean depending on what your actual budget is you could prolly even get a new M1 or M2 one at such as Costco.

But you can get an M1 in clean shape with upgrades like a 512 gb SSD or 16gb RAM for like $400-500CAD. Base models are like $300 and it’s trivial to add more storage with an external SSD. Way better than a micro PC for running creative apps and day-to-day poo poo IMO.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

get a used/refurb M1 Mac Mini

it’ll be better bang/buck, your art software will be well-optimized, it runs poo poo like Hades good, and it’ll give you an in to Logic/Final Cut if you so desire, which are frankly awesome value for what they are at $200
Definitely this. Or get a steam deck it you want to game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Plant MONSTER. posted:

ETA Prime has a whole slew of videos going over AMD versions of NUC's over the past 2 years. Look for a video of one that interests you and price check it in Canuckistan. Minisforum makes lot of these small form factor machines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGlkWHwMGVg
https://store.minisforum.com/collections/amd-%C2%AE-ryzen-%C2%AE

Serve the home likes the Beelink GTR7 and has a lot of other videos on sff prebuilts, so his videos are worth browsing too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LciJqD74Mc4

Or you got something like the Asrock Deskmeet, a $170 barebones pc.
https://www.newegg.com/asrock-deskmeet-x300w-b-bb-box-us/p/N82E16856158083

Here is a Beelink SER5 for $340
https://www.newegg.com/p/2SW-0012-0...m6S05xflNERdUfU

Basically the last 2 or 3 years have seen a whole bunch of AMD powered NUC sized computers hit the market. Some of them can even do light gaming.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 12, 2024