Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Tom Tucker posted:

I dunno how much was in Helldivers 1 but the Terminex missions have added some great plot lines to the crew of the ship. Apparently the bugs make element 710 which is literal spaceship fuel and this effort will send the bugs "back to the farms where they belong". So literally just dying for oil which is awesome.

Anyone who cannot see the satire here should not be allowed to make decisions in life.

and the bots are moving towards Cyberstan, because Super Earth still has the cyborgs there, doing slave labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Qubee posted:

Is there a way for me to aim and deploy a strategem without the need to throw it, for far away targets? The really explosive strategems keep on killing me because I can't seem to throw them accurately enough, I would much rather prefer designating the target with aim + keybind.

Nope. Throw it higher.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Qubee posted:

Is there a way for me to aim and deploy a strategem without the need to throw it, for far away targets? The really explosive strategems keep on killing me because I can't seem to throw them accurately enough, I would much rather prefer designating the target with aim + keybind.

The chaos and inherent inaccuracy is part of the charm of the game. Ahh gently caress blew up my team lmao FREEDOM

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Qubee posted:

No but this sounds like it would be really cool utility. There was a fun sounding suggestion on Reddit for a comms back pack + binoculars support call in that let you do a key sequence every few minutes to reduce strategem cooldowns and use the binoculars to mark long range / more accurate call ins.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

it regularly takes me 3 shots at a medium distance to kill regular raiders with the slugger. what am I missing that make people say it’s good against bots? im back to the basic liberator against them.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Ravendas posted:

The chaos and inherent inaccuracy is part of the charm of the game. Ahh gently caress blew up my team lmao FREEDOM

anger at being teamkilled is just democracy leaving the body

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Qubee posted:

afaik they're adding a strategem just for you eventually

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

and the bots are moving towards Cyberstan, because Super Earth still has the cyborgs there, doing slave labor.

Are we the baddies?

*throws a 500kg bomb at a clutch of sentient life forms’ eggs*

Molrok
May 30, 2011

There ain't enough dakka in the world for the new mission if the game decides to throw you a spawn pool of just cheap trash mobs with nothing else.
Me and squadmates are getting +60 multikills with stratagems and it aint enough, they still break through and bite the tower to slag (also friendly fire is on for the fuel silos so don't go danger close on it).

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Qubee posted:

I don't really understand how you're killing yourself regularly with strategems. Teammates I understand. But you have to be doing something really really bad to be consistently nuking yourself.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

anger at being teamkilled is just democracy leaving the body

let me keep my democracy inside me :gibs:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

It just feels good to be charging the Arc Thrower, and kill two teammates when a Stalker suddenly kills you from behind with no warning.

drat this game still kicks rear end. Very excited to fight more little stuff, although I will miss five chargers disrupting everything.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Molrok posted:

There ain't enough dakka in the world for the new mission if the game decides to throw you a spawn pool of just cheap trash mobs with nothing else.
Me and squadmates are getting +60 multikills with stratagems and it aint enough, they still break through and bite the tower to slag (also friendly fire is on for the fuel silos so don't go danger close on it).

NGL that sounds amazing and sounds a lot more like what I expected from fighting bugs.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

HD1 Cyborg Warlord description posted:

These lords of war are the reason why Cyborg society needs our help to return to freedom.
I love how on the nose these games are :allears:

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I mean harness physics with your strategems if you're not?

Like, aim up really high at ~45 degrees to get more distance when you throw it. This usually gets it > 50 m on flat ground which is good enough for most call ins, including most eagle runs that attack perpendicular to the direction of the throw.

But yeah if you're dropping a 380 mm barrage or something you gotta run away from it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

atelier morgan posted:

i think it'll quietly be helpful for new players

i know my (and everybody else in my group's) first reaction to encountering chargers was to shoot an EAT fruitlessly into it's skull

might also make the RR a more viable choice to bring vs bugs if you can reliably expect a quick shot to the front to kill, rather than needing to line up on the leg with follow up

I should give the eat another chance on low difficulty to see if they removed the nasty delay on the time between pressing 3 to equip, and being allowed to fire it (or even have it change to first person if that was default) that the recoilless does not seem to suffer. So playing chicken with a Charger to hit their face instead of "gently caress it, leg shot" feels like it might not be as popular as it should be.

But considering one of my practical justifications for now being captain autocannon is a billion fat spitters trying to murder the guys going "Wow! Flamethrower OP now!" still taking as solid minute to kill a charger unless I come help... Yes, I welcome a hunter mosh pit and flying trash over "oops all spitters". That might make me finally run out of AC ammo during a mission!

GlyphGryph posted:

EATs can one shot bile titans, or at least I'm pretty sure I've done it shooting them in the mouth while they are inhaling for their bile attack a few times now. Maybe they took damage and were weakened when I wasn't paying attention, but I don't think so?

Even my dumb rear end has one-shot a titan by feeding it an EAT specifically as it opened it's mouth when I was using EAT 24/7, but that was at a sub 7 difficulty where they spawn. That was before I essentially abandoned them over cooldown and randomizer debuffs devaluing them. A least randomizer is in time out, but AC works on literally everything in bot missions and is not blocked by ECM soooo....

Molrok
May 30, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

NGL that sounds amazing and sounds a lot more like what I expected from fighting bugs.

It is, just wish the fuel silos weren't made of SUPER PAPER (so many breakdowns at 97-99% charge).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

let me keep my democracy inside me :gibs:

freedom retention

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Molrok posted:

I've had situations where every squad member puts down a Gatling and MG sentry at the same time. That seems to give a bit of breathing room.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
The cadence for updates and balance patches so far has been awesome. I imagine a good amount of this campaign is pretty canned and tied to content release milestones but either way it feels great and I’m happy to see a steady trickle of new guns/gear/enemies. Vehicles are really exciting and so will new factions and biomes (urban please!)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Re: Arc Thrower, anyone want to throw some hot tips my way? I've been running with it for the last few days and some things about it confuse me.

Primarily how sometimes, evern when I have full charge and I let go of the trigger the gun will just spark but wont throw any electricity out. I thought this was maybe because I didn't have a target lined up but this doesn't seem to always be the case.

Also, what is the technique to get rapid fire shots off with it? I saw that if you full charge and then release the next 2-3 can be fired at about 60%-70% charge and they'll come out as if they've been charged to 100%. Is there an exact number?

The gun is fun and has taken up permanent position as my goto secondary weapon I just don't fully understand the ins and outs of it like I want to.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

GlyphGryph posted:

EATs can one shot bile titans, or at least I'm pretty sure I've done it shooting them in the mouth while they are inhaling for their bile attack a few times now. Maybe they took damage and were weakened when I wasn't paying attention, but I don't think so?
It's very likely that you were playing with a Playstation host, much like how you can kill them with a couple railgun shots with one. One of the devs said that this is unintentional though so it's probably going to take more than one EAT once fixed.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ice Fist posted:

I don't really understand how you're killing yourself regularly with strategems. Teammates I understand. But you have to be doing something really really bad to be consistently nuking yourself.

The eagle strafing runs are wonky as all hell. I can't seem to designate the orientation of the strafing run so sometimes the pilot will strafe side to side, sometimes up and down. It's that confusion from me that usually lands me getting shredded.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Qubee posted:

The eagle strafing runs are wonky as all hell. I can't seem to designate the orientation of the strafing run so sometimes the pilot will strafe side to side, sometimes up and down. It's that confusion from me that usually lands me getting shredded.

This is specific to the kind of airstrike. the strafing run is up and down, the cluster bomb is side to side.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Exodee posted:

It's very likely that you were playing with a Playstation host, much like how you can kill them with a couple railgun shots with one. One of the devs said that this is unintentional though so it's probably going to take more than one EAT once fixed.

It might also be another animation bug like with the charger, since it is very much only specifically during that animation where it has worked. Super satisfying when it happens, though, I suspect, and hope, it's intentional.

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

heavenly piercing toke'n smoke'n

Exodee posted:

Bile titans can be 1 hit in the mouth by high explosives. Do it all the time w/ the mech and I only ever play with 3 of my other PC playing friends. Need a direct hit on the mouth though, the crown of its head is not a weak point

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Qubee posted:

I've never seen an eagle strafing or bombing run not end up perpendicular to the direction of the throw. Maybe it gets screwed up because of multiple bounces or something, but it's not something I've ever witnessed.

Owl Inspector posted:

This is specific to the kind of airstrike. the strafing run is up and down, the cluster bomb is side to side.

oh word? I dropped the strafing run basically right after I got clusters so I've barely used it

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

facialimpediment posted:

anger at being teamkilled is just democracy communism leaving the body

:shuckyes:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Some eagle strats are a line away from you, and some are side to side, I forget which is which. I do wonder where that is draw relative to, though. Your position at some point during the call in so it matters if you move? Your position when throwing/releasing? The angle it hits the ground from, meaning bounces might change it?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Owl Inspector posted:

Yep. The first one which is a bunch of bullets goes straight out from you. You can drop it like 10' in front of you and you'll be fine, as it wipes out everything in a line forward.

All of the other ones are tangent (side to side) from your position. (bombs, napalm, forget what else, I don't eagle that much)

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

GlyphGryph posted:

Some eagle strats are a line away from you, and some are side to side, I forget which is which. I do wonder where that is draw relative to, though. Your position at some point during the call in so it matters if you move? Your position when throwing/releasing? The angle it hits the ground from, meaning bounces might change it?

It snapshots the instant the strategem calls in - when it shoots the beam of light.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Piell posted:

The butt takes 10% damage from non-explosive weapons, it is absolutely a trap for new players who think they're doing something useful by shooting it with their liberator

I’m doing my part*.10

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

it regularly takes me 3 shots at a medium distance to kill regular raiders with the slugger. what am I missing that make people say it’s good against bots? im back to the basic liberator against them.

Aim better? A chest shot should kill the small guys, you might be hitting arms. A few headshots also kill devastators and chainsaw guys.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

AndyElusive posted:

Re: Arc Thrower, anyone want to throw some hot tips my way? I've been running with it for the last few days and some things about it confuse me.

Primarily how sometimes, evern when I have full charge and I let go of the trigger the gun will just spark but wont throw any electricity out. I thought this was maybe because I didn't have a target lined up but this doesn't seem to always be the case.

Also, what is the technique to get rapid fire shots off with it? I saw that if you full charge and then release the next 2-3 can be fired at about 60%-70% charge and they'll come out as if they've been charged to 100%. Is there an exact number?

The gun is fun and has taken up permanent position as my goto secondary weapon I just don't fully understand the ins and outs of it like I want to.

The arc will try to seek the center of the target you're pointing at, and if there is anything in the way like a small box or rock or something then the arc won't connect and will just spark like that.

You can still aim at weak points and it will do weak point damage, but it's not as reliable as a straight fire weapon.

It seems like only the first shot is slow, every subsequent shot that is taken charges quickly, which is very nice with its bottomless magazine.

The Arc thrower will do a flat amount of damage to the first target and then has a "bank" of damage that it will use to leap to additional targets, dealing damage up to the amount it takes to kill them, and arcing the overflow to another target until the bank is exhausted. Hitting tiny things like roaches means you can Arc up to five targets like this. The weapon is always capable of bouncing to at least one extra target past whatever you aimed at.

One strong benefit is that as the arc travels through several targets like automatons it will cause the entire group to either stagger or take suppression, causing their accuracy to dip. The weapon seems to deal damage regardless of armor, though killing a hulk or charger will take a long time and many hits.

Some testing: bounced arcs (ie: arcing from #1 to #2) don't seem to reach further than the distance from you to the first target, and will bounce up to 90° left or right. This can cause the arc to go around corners but if any particular jump is interrupted by a line of sight blocker then the attack will stop there.

However if you are quite far from your primary target the arc can on occasion go very, very far to the second. Lastly, the weapon can graphically appear to fire at extremely distant targets even though the connection isn't actually made and no damage is done.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Man this game is buggy as gently caress. All kinds of weird crashes, camera shoots 200m away from your character, really a ton of all kinds of camera issues. Dropships doing weird poo poo when you blow them off the sky. Games never loading to maps from hellpods etc. I can't remember playing such a buggy game for a long time.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Ihmemies posted:

Man this game is buggy as gently caress. All kinds of weird crashes, camera shoots 200m away from your character, really a ton of all kinds of camera issues. Dropships doing weird poo poo when you blow them off the sky. Games never loading to maps from hellpods etc. I can't remember playing such a buggy game for a long time.

A dude was the first to run into the dropship earlier and him and the ship disappeared in a single frame. It was so spooky.

Also in my last game my weapons just defaulted to the beginner ones which made it extremely difficult

:Edit: oh and it’s not currently saving supplies or medals of requisitions or mission completion lol

Aipsh fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 12, 2024

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

They've really done a number on the bugs lol

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

It doesn't mean the game is not fun. I play it too much. Just wish there were a bit les bugs....

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

You know how sometimes those little smoke plants will pop and apply a shitload more physics force to you than usual? Last night I was playing and a devastator rocket popped a bunch of smoke plants I was sitting next to and for some reason it launched me directly upwards into heaven, ragdolling the whole way up. I did not survive the fall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

heavenly piercing toke'n smoke'n

Chillgamesh posted:

You know how sometimes those little smoke plants will pop and apply a shitload more physics force to you than usual? Last night I was playing and a devastator rocket popped a bunch of smoke plants I was sitting next to and for some reason it launched me directly upwards into heaven, ragdolling the whole way up. I did not survive the fall

yeah so they'll stumble you a bit if they just poof their spores, but if you actually shoot them/they take damage that's when you get the big ragdoll moments. i used this a lot early on as like a bootleg eject button when i was swarmed, would jump jet directly over one and shoot it which would ragdoll me a hell of a distance away

now, no guarantees the impact wont kill you, but ive always been happy to gamble lol