Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

There was also that one where the kids get pulled over and the officer walking up to the car gets smoked by a speeding drunk person or something. (Or were the kids being pulled over driving under the influence?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The kids were being pulled over for driving while high as balls and then the cop gets smoked by someone speeding past.

Edit: House Hippo supremacy

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I have to wonder how the Concerned Children's Advertisers feel about how the house hippo thing turned out. "Don't believe everything you see on TV! There's more to life than merchandising!" "Okay but the kids REALLY want some merchandise." "It's twenty-five years later!" "They REALLY want some merchandise, and now they don't need to ask their parents to buy it."

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
I can't remember if it was a concerned children's advertisers ad or not but that one where the guy is visiting his brother in addiction recovery while The Hollies play "He ain't Heavy. He's my brother." lives rent free in my head.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/CGriwkowsky/status/1766169763083067698

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Good news, those Chinese 'police stations' are suing the RCMP for almost 5 million dollars. Now I can't remember the details about this police station stuff but I remember thinking it's a bunch of bullshit. Also the RCMP is very much 'we get sued all the time, nbd'

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rcmp-chinese-police-stations-1.7138022

I wonder how that's going to go

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

It'll source back to an email from Five Eyes (Langley), which will never be released for national security reasons. CSIS leaks of American intelligence are how this unruly country is governed, it's what POGG is all about.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Seems like they were trying to go after people absconding with money from China? Idk, there’s a whole Wikipedia about them operating in other countries as well:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_police_overseas_service_stations

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Oxyclean posted:

oh my god both of those things. I don't even need to click to remember them.

MOOOOM AIDEN CUT ME IN HALF AGAIN. and that one guy's T Rex impression.

Has anyone mentioned House Hippos yet?

The House Hippo PSA is the best thing ever made by CCA.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Mad Hamish posted:

Edit: House Hippo supremacy

That's a thread title

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

So it's Andrea Reimer vs Christine Boyle to replace my Zionist MLA George Heyman. They're good candidates, but after what the BCNDP did with Anjali I'm still likely to vote Green. Not that it would matter.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Randalor posted:

Mr Dressup and Fred Penner's Place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4f3wryMU5M

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I switched to Bell because my phone died on me when I tried to factory reset it as it was getting slower on me and not charging consistently. And I notice they had a promotion to waive the 60$ setup fee if I applied online and also a special discount that's 20$ cheaper for the phone I got (albeit I would still need to pay the difference at the end of the 2 years); anyone have any experience with getting Bell to credit back that fee and whether its worth it for a cheaper bill over two years now vs having it all paid off in 2 years?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I don't trust them for poo poo. Bell regularly dicked up my bill in ways that always benefited them and sent me to collections for a debt that wasn't mine. I didn't catch them all right away so I paid more than I should have and spent hours on hold trying to fix their fuckups. gently caress Bell forever, national them and liquidate anyone who has ever been part of their the C suite, I would rather have no phone than be with them again.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Guest2553 posted:

I don't trust them for poo poo. Bell regularly dicked up my bill in ways that always benefited them and sent me to collections for a debt that wasn't mine. I didn't catch them all right away so I paid more than I should have and spent hours on hold trying to fix their fuckups. gently caress Bell forever, national them and liquidate anyone who has ever been part of their the C suite, I would rather have no phone than be with them again.

Yeah every carrier has been bad at some point, I had generally fond opinions of videotron because at my parents place in rural gently caress off Nowheresville near like Hudson they seemed reliable and I've never heard of my parents having any issues with them and any service outage was like once, a year. That seemed pretty good to me.

But downtown Montreal it seems like either service ping pongs in outages and issues and I just switch based on whenever I see a shiny promotional offer and dig out the router for the other guy if it hasn't been replaced yet.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

MNIMWA posted:

The concerned children's advertisers stuff still resurfaces in my brain at random. Mainly this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs4zkcBX-mA

And this acne-awareness commercial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T2olgjnDWY
I was explaining the "Don't You Put It In Your Mouth" PSA to younger co-workers and I think they're worried I have brain damage

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Albino Squirrel posted:

I was explaining the "Don't You Put It In Your Mouth" PSA to younger co-workers and I think they're worried I have brain damage

Just send them the original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AuLkMBAFZg

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I did, I think they assume everyone in the 80s had brain damage. Which, fair.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Guest2553 posted:

Rogers deserves the same honestly. I think I remember a time where they charged 2$ per gig in overage charges.... for home internet. Absolute and total scam bullshit. I will never not be mad about the time where there was basically no option (or no reasonable option) for unlimited data, and so I took a plan with 200 gigs since that was essentially more then enough for me for 11 months of the year where I was regularly 20-80 gigs under cap. December rolled around and I blew through my cap downloading games I got for christmas, and was threatened with the aforementioned 2$ per gig over. I think I managed to bitch my way out of it, but what a loving clown show of consumer rights that it's not just some kind of standard practice to be allowed to carry over unused data caps or be refunded the "excess."

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
All this talk about TVO and Canadian media have me thinking... What happened to all the original puppets? Somebody has to have the original Casey from mr. Dressup, or Camille from Passe-Partout, or even the original uncle Matt from Fraggle Rock.

(Speaking of uncle Matt, here's a clip from Canada's wonderland. Interesting looking at all that empty greenspace as they crest the roller coaster.)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UfshYPU-WIU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Guigui posted:

All this talk about TVO and Canadian media have me thinking... What happened to all the original puppets? Somebody has to have the original Casey from mr. Dressup, or Camille from Passe-Partout, or even the original uncle Matt from Fraggle Rock.

(Speaking of uncle Matt, here's a clip from Canada's wonderland. Interesting looking at all that empty greenspace as they crest the roller coaster.)

Pretty sure I saw them at the Museum of Civilization as a special exhibition last year

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I remember seeing the puppets from Mr Dressup and Under the Umbrella Tree at a museum in the CBC building in Toronto, but that was around 2001 I think.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Guigui posted:

Where are the Freaky Stories puppets!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6C3WwxVkFE

:v:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

run on sentience posted:

I remember seeing the puppets from Mr Dressup and Under the Umbrella Tree at a museum in the CBC building in Toronto, but that was around 2001 I think.

I think they're still there in an area just off the lobby. Casey's treehouse definitely is, and I eat lunch there sometimes.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Guigui posted:

I think the actress for Casey took Casey with her when she was fired because she literally made Casey (and Ernie backed her up on that) and according to the Mr Dress-up documentary, she does shows with Casey now.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think they're still there in an area just off the lobby. Casey's treehouse definitely is, and I eat lunch there sometimes.

I was around 12 and I remember that whole building being cool as hell. We went on a tour of one of the radio studios there, and then seeing the treehouse and those puppets was almost spiritual. I'm have to go back sometime.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Randalor posted:

I think the actress for Casey took Casey with her when she was fired because she literally made Casey (and Ernie backed her up on that) and according to the Mr Dress-up documentary, she does shows with Casey now.

The puppets are on Hornby Island in BC. Judith Lawrence wasn't fired, she retired because she thought children's television was too commercial. She is leaving the puppets to the CBC museum in her will.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Not quite as cool as real puppets but when I went through a Blender/Unity phase during lockdown I re-made Dot's Diner from ReBoot and wound up finding what I think must be the original models for Mike the TV and some of the citizens of Mainframe, given how detailed and articulated they were.

Wonder how they preserve that kind of thing, all the stuff from ReBoot and Beasties and such should be saved (and somebody should make a fully walkable Mainframe)

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
That's a good point - even though the original models are now a bit simple compared to today's standards, its worth having all that data stored someplace.

Speaking of storage - during middleschool I met a kid who could draw an almost perfect pencil replica of Sam the guard from "today's special" on school desks. A few of them were family-friendly... most were not.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Pleads posted:

Not quite as cool as real puppets but when I went through a Blender/Unity phase during lockdown I re-made Dot's Diner from ReBoot and wound up finding what I think must be the original models for Mike the TV and some of the citizens of Mainframe, given how detailed and articulated they were.

Wonder how they preserve that kind of thing, all the stuff from ReBoot and Beasties and such should be saved (and somebody should make a fully walkable Mainframe)

Ah well, this came up before and I saw it again a few months ago when it was revealed that the master tapes from ReBoot had been found.

https://twitter.com/GlitchBob452/status/1025656485299331072

Almost everything from ReBoot is already gone.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Does anyone else remember the version that had lines that accidentally taught kids not to eat thier vegetables?

The sister said "Yuck! I don't even like beets!" and the brother replied "Then don't put them in your mouth!"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Fidelitious posted:

I already believed this but seeing it confirmed still makes my heart sink

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Fidelitious posted:

Ah well, this came up before and I saw it again a few months ago when it was revealed that the master tapes from ReBoot had been found.

https://twitter.com/GlitchBob452/status/1025656485299331072

That fuckin sucks. I went and checked the old models and I have Mike the TV, Cecil the sassy waiter robot, and the Binome citizen model. I will protect them for all-time.

https://i.imgur.com/99Mr7AZ.mp4

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

run on sentience posted:

I was around 12 and I remember that whole building being cool as hell. We went on a tour of one of the radio studios there, and then seeing the treehouse and those puppets was almost spiritual. I'm have to go back sometime.

It is pretty cool! I think they run tours through there fairly often. My kid's Girl Guides troop is doing one next week.

If you ever get a chance to see something in the Glenn Gould Studio it's a gorgeous room. I used to pop into Sounds of the Season every Christmas during work breaks and it's always fun.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Pretty amazing that the Canadian media somehow missed the fact that the big new pharmacare program is more of a pilot project that the Liberals will likely bail on at first opportunity.

quote:

Excited by Justin Trudeau's pharmacare plan? Don't get your hopes up
This is not a pharmacare plan. It’s an experiment. Framed another way, the government might call it a pilot, Althia Raj writes.

The NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh describes it as “historic.” Prime Minister Justin Trudeau talks about “moving forward with national, single-payer pharmacare.”

But for those who view the Liberals’ new legislation as the baby steps toward a plan that covers all — regardless of income or status — with life-saving medicines, the bill should come with a warning label: “Don’t get your hopes up.”

This is not a pharmacare plan. It’s an experiment. Framed another way, the government might call it a pilot. A pilot program whose results are unlikely to be known before the next federal election campaign, and maybe quickly shelved after, if Pierre Poilievre becomes prime minister.

It’s not that Health Minister Mark Holland hasn’t been clear. “Don Davies, the NDP health critic, really got caught on single payer, universal as the only way to go. And I am a little bit — I'm a lot more open,” Holland told me on the Star’s “It’s Political” podcast. Holland wants to see all Canadians covered for the medicine they need, but said he’s also concerned with being “really prudent and careful with taxpayers dollars, and taking the most efficient route to get there.”

If you hear that sound, it's a sigh of relief from those in the pharmaceutical industry, the health insurance industry, and even local pharmacists who fear a single-payer system will significantly impact their bottom lines.

What the Liberals and NDP crafted last week is a political compromise, one that gives Singh some form of cover to support the Grits’ upcoming budget next month.

It does not, in fact, respect the red line NDP delegates expressly stated last fall. They unanimously told Singh in October that continued support for the party’s confidence and supply agreement — a deal forged in 2022 that sees NDP MPs support the government until June 2025 in exchange for the establishment of a new public dental care program and actions on many unfulfilled Liberal promises — should be contingent on a “comprehensive and entirely public pharmacare program.”

What was tabled on Feb. 29 is not a “comprehensive” pharmacare program. It will provide provinces cash in exchange for offering residents free contraception and diabetes medication. Two categories of drugs that could serve as a motivator in the next federal election with, for example, young women heading to the polls fearing their free birth control may be taken away.

But the details of the bill suggest it may be difficult — if not impossible — to move beyond free coverage of those two drugs.

For one thing, the vision of the bill is not about laying the foundation for a universal public system.

For Holland, the bill represents a way out of an impasse. The NDP insists a single-payer system is the way to go, and that it will save governments money and lead to better health outcomes, while Holland appears to believe a fill-in-the-gap model, where the government covers those without private coverage — or perhaps even picks up the tab for those with private coverage but with copays or ceiling caps — would allow more people to be covered for more drugs more quickly.

What Davies and Holland negotiated is a plan to evaluate both models. They’ll compare the cost, the savings, and public health outcomes of delivering free contraception and free diabetes medication vs. the federal government’s fill-in-the-gap model which has been used in Prince Edward Island for the past three years.

“What I said to Don to sort of try to get us through this impasse is, ‘OK, if you're right, then you shouldn't be afraid of the scrutiny, right?' That if this is the best model, if going universal single payer is the right model, then it will bear itself out in evidence when we put that model into the real world,” said Holland. “You should only fear something if his position isn't, in fact, rooted in evidence.”

But will the baby-step universal public system really have much of a chance to be tested in the real world? Beyond debating whether it is actually fair to judge the viability of a universal public system based solely on two categories of medications — most of which are already available in cheaper generic form — political timelines suggest there is practically no chance this can happen before the next election, even if we assume the campaign will occur at the latest possible moment in October 2025.

Why? The legislation tasks an unnamed committee to make recommendations within a year after the Pharmacare Act has obtained royal assent — meaning after it has passed all the legislative hurdles of debate and committee studies in both the House of Commons and the Senate. Could that even happen before the next election? “I don’t know,” is Holland’s answer. Hitting a critical mass of evidence could take a long time, he argued, but he believes it’s important in ensuring the best outcomes for patients and taxpayers.

“For me, you've got to know how much it's going to cost. You've got to know how you're going to pay for it. You've got to be able to see, in real world, how these models are working,” he said. “That data has to be clear, and it can't involve leaps of logic, or it can't involve hopeful or wishful thinking. It's got to really be able to be demonstrated in evidence. I know that's frustrating, because it means that it doesn't move as fast as some would like.”

Or it may mean the Liberals don't move at all … until their election platform is revealed.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Canada's ruling class would sooner hang itself than do something remotely popular with people because it materially improves their lives.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I'm sure both the Cons and Liberals have had the private insurance companies screaming in their ears for 40 years talking about how damaging a single payer healthcare system would be to their existence.

Despite a single payer healthcare system being generally good for a person's day to day existence.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Femtosecond posted:

Pretty amazing that the Canadian media somehow missed the fact that the big new pharmacare program is more of a pilot project that the Liberals will likely bail on at first opportunity.

It was always the NDP negotiating strategy to seek a limited number of medications as long as they were covered on a truly universal basis. Two kinds of pretty important medication, is definitely half a loaf but the Liberals at least aren't going to rip insulin or contraception away from people if the program gets up and running. The Liberal pharma care "pilot" is less than nothing, most people would not notice if it was instituted nationally, which pointedly they have not done, they just need something to run on that doesn't make the lobbyists mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Let's hear it for the half-measures.