Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just came out of a BALLING Hoodwink game with a Safelane NP, we killed him 20 times. He kept trying to hunt me, and I'd scurry out, get him with combo and leave him so low that our BS found him when he TPed out and killed him over and over. I kept all chatting that NP can eat turds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I've noticed that if the enemy core is very very good at denying, you are very very likely to experience some manner of game-losing tantrum from the core that laned against them.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Is there a better feeling than queuing with your Bros and denying 40 creeps in lane? I think not, so the opposite is also true

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I can even with this DOTA2 in herald sometimes. Queued up P5 Wyvern with a Void, and we slapped in lane, but our offlane BB tilted and just kept running at the enemy all game and by 15 min he was 1-15 and he kept all chatting that Void was farming all game. This kills the win streak. How in the world do you escape from Herald?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Super-NintendoUser posted:

I can even with this DOTA2 in herald sometimes. Queued up P5 Wyvern with a Void, and we slapped in lane, but our offlane BB tilted and just kept running at the enemy all game and by 15 min he was 1-15 and he kept all chatting that Void was farming all game. This kills the win streak. How in the world do you escape from Herald?

lol if you think that doesn't happen outside herald. if he's 1-15, he's not really giving that much gold and xp to the enemy compared to if your fed void gets killed. buckle up for 4v5 and just play away from him so you don't feed them any heroes with value and try and take objectives.

esp with void on your team, just takes one bad enemy attempt to take your high ground and you can get a team wipe which is usually game ending if it's past 40 min and they don't have buybacks

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

How in the world do you escape from Herald?

Vision. If you can put some decent wards in jungles/triangles, you can use that knowledge to (hopefully) get your team to gank or take fights knowing you have the numbers advantage.

Even in my Divine ranks, an enemy core will split off from their team to farm some neutral creeps, and we kill their teammates when we know this.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
an important point about vision: pushing out a wave is another source of vision/map info. having a wave shove into enemy tower will show you who (if anyone) is responding to it and generally give you room to place wards farther out than if all the waves are meeting at the river or on your side of the map.

as support, it's kinda your job to shove the risky areas since usually your death isn't as detrimental. if your carry gets mad and wants that farm, then it's your job to hang out nearby and get them out of there if the enemy rotates before they're done shoving

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Slowly recovering from my giant loss streak by spamming leshrac in either support role, have only lost one game with him so far.

Mage slayer might not be as common but it still runs your damage. One of my recent wins i only had 7k hero damage.

However you kinda own in lane if you paired with a core with a stun, or if you can catch the enemy support away from lane with edict. If they are a ranged hero and you get on top of them they just straight up die if they have no way to get away, and melee heroes have to get on top of you so you just trade super efficiently.

Skill build is essentially max edict then stun with a point in ult at 6. Take stats over lightning because as a support you're mana pool blows and can't support 4 spells.

I leave ult at 1 till I have solved my mana issues, and I'll sometimes take up to 5 points in stats before taking chain lightning.

Item build is pretty interchangeable depending on needs and if you're a 4 or 5. If enemy has silence you can rush euls. Force/glimmer/ghost are all great for kiting to keep your self or teammates alive. You can turn your mana boots into greaves eventually if no one else buys it (don't rush mek, you don't have the mana pool). A casual voodoo mask for spell steal gives you heaps of effective hp too. And because your a support you'll likely get your shard for free which is great for pushing and defending hg.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Denying a lot is funny because it can tilt the hell out of them but it can also be a huge waste of time

If you could be killing the wave mega fast, farming the jungle all around you in 30-40 secs, and clearing the next wave, staying to deny every creep is a waste. Likewise if the enemy hero can leave lane and farm jungle efficiently, denying is probably just going to make him leave and farm jungle efficiently

Reminds me of the mid sniper with 50 denies who lost to my very stupid mid AA pick because I just farmed with ice vortex and played out the game calmly

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

People very much do this in my games, and it's usually the offlaner that does it, and it happens real often with people that pick Slardar, Timbersaw, and Sand King. I'm mid-Archon. It happens so often with Slardar I just expect the game to be a stomp in the enemy team's favor because Slardar will have 15 deaths by himself versus our team's 20 kills.

Occasionally having a terrible player ends up being an advantage because sometimes people just won't stop dogpiling the same person and you win because Antimage only took 20k damage the entire game.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Mental damage is the most OP type of damage.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I played my first match in over 2 months just now.

I like to start off every game the same way:

Sometimes people say they will, but they always forget / wimp out and don't, but this Weaver followed through and bought a Rapier.
Be like Weaver.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

god bless this new terrorblade meta, I haven't lost vs one yet

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I just had a really hysterical game where I was safelane Drow. The P5 Warlock was absolutely manic screaming at me what to do. But comically enough it was 100% right the entire time and we won the game.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
it's good to have a shot caller

also multishot + fatal bonds is really funny

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Upheaval + Frost Arrows / Multishot is disgusting if they don't have any real movement abilities, too.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Upheaval + Frost Arrows / Multishot is disgusting if they don't have any real movement abilities, too.

This right here is why boots of bearing is my favorite item

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Bongo Boots are the best, yea

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

emdash posted:

it's good to have a shot caller

also multishot + fatal bonds is really funny

The game was quite frustrating. The Warlock kept saying "STOP RIGHT CLICKING AND PUSHING THE WAVE". I mean he was 100% right, but he kept casting fatal bonds on the wave so it kept pushing. He kept getting last hits, so by ten minutes I was so far behind I just went to the jungle.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Plank Walker posted:

This right here is why boots of bearing is my favorite item

My fav boots. Feels great on mid bh

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I couldn't imagine going back to Crystal Maiden without them. Strength, Int, and Movespeed. The 3 things she needs the most.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sab669 posted:

I couldn't imagine going back to Crystal Maiden without them. Strength, Int, and Movespeed. The 3 things she needs the most.

Bongo boots are also good only in unranked on NP. If you get Manta and early max treants + all the treant talents. You can take towers through backdoor protection.

Hopefully end the game in 30 minutes because if not you will lose.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

The game was quite frustrating. The Warlock kept saying "STOP RIGHT CLICKING AND PUSHING THE WAVE". I mean he was 100% right, but he kept casting fatal bonds on the wave so it kept pushing. He kept getting last hits, so by ten minutes I was so far behind I just went to the jungle.

Def shouldnt be auto attacking unless you have a plan to push the wave under a tower to jungle and wait for it to bounce back. Harass, deny, or manipulate the wave instead. The fatal bonds will push a bit, but it's decent harass if it hits enemy heroes, which it should. You should try to get denies and cs, but it's almost never a good idea in early game to be hitting creeps if you don't kill them. Exceptions are to get an extra hit in to get cs under a tower or if youre mid and your opponent is distracted and you need to secure it.

Do you know about the aggro trick to manipulate the wave? You can attack target the enemy hero while in attack range of the enemy wave to get them to aggro you and then attack action one of your creeps to drop the aggro. Sometimes good to get them closer to you or for securing ranged creeps. It can cause your waves to push if you kill the range creep early, but it can be really good for getting enemy creeps on your side of the wave. As a support you can do the opposite: be out of aggro range of the wave and make an attack action. You'll walk into aggro range, get the attack off, but won't aggro the wave for a second or two so you can cancel/walk away and get the attack off without loving up the wave aggro.

And I'm sure you know the "orb attacks" and skills don't draw aggro, so you can be in aggro range and use the skill/aa-mod to harass without drawing aggro.

E: I've been enjoying your posts btw. Playing dotes vicariously through you.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 12, 2024

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Don't you want the 1700 recipe gold for something else? She not usually starved for slots, is she? The recipe only gets you 1str, 1int, 1hpreg and a small buff to the endurance aura. Seems like the biggest deal is the extra slot and the 1.5s slow immunity.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I mean I'll probably finish like a Force Staff or something first, but I do like to get the Boots once I've run out of Charges on the Drums.

Not losing Move Speed when the Tranquils break is huge, too.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 12, 2024

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ILL Machina posted:

Def shouldnt be auto attacking unless you have a plan to push the wave under a tower to jungle and wait for it to bounce back. Harass, deny, or manipulate the wave instead. The fatal bonds will push a bit, but it's decent harass if it hits enemy heroes, which it should. You should try to get denies and cs, but it's almost never a good idea in early game to be hitting creeps if you don't kill them. Exceptions are to get an extra hit in to get cs under a tower or if youre mid and your opponent is distracted and you need to secure it.

E: I've been enjoying your posts btw. Playing dotes vicariously through you.

Glad to help, comically it was my first ranked game on Drow, and we were laning against an Axe and an NP so it was a hard lane. The Warlock was wild, I was so far behind and told him that I need to go jungle a bit, and he was like "YOU'RE BEHIND BECAUSE YOUR JUNGLING" and I'm like dude, I'm level 8, they have a level 12 huskar, a level 10 NP, I'm not going to go look for pickoffs. I built a Dragon Lance and BKB, and joined a fight, got a few kills, but it was clear that we weren't strong enough, so I said "let me go back to the jungle and try to get a damage item, butterfly or something" and the guy lost his goddamn mind.

Drow farms super fast and I had good support coverage so I could get camps and two lanes, and this guy is just screaming "OH THANKS ONLY 2500 GOLD LEFT UNTIL YOU CAN PLAY DOTA WITH US WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST QUEUE UP A BOT GAME INSTEAD." He tilted to the moon. Finally I came out with the butterfly, and I team wiped them, and then the guy finally shut up.

Well he did absolutely mald when I went high ground with Aegis, and NP sprouted me and as I hurricane piked myself back out of sprout someone force staffed me right back in, that was fun.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

Sab669 posted:

I mean I'll probably finish like a Force Staff or something first, but I do like to get the Boots once I've run out of Charges on the Drums.

You also don't lose the 20hp regen once you have drumboots right?

I just had a cm game. Frostbite into shard with nova to proc it, into frostbite again is 9 seconds of root and its hilarious.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Ooo. Makes sense. Didn't think about the Regen break or the charge refresh for some reason.

Was always a gg boots goer for the armor aura and mana free mek, but I haven't played since the new boots dropped and they nerfed that aura since then.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 13, 2024

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

It's a huge team item vs any slow is very good

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
It feels so good to be cool calm and collected while losing a game very badly and be like "don't worry, we've got late" and in fact, have late

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
man I'm coming out of my slump with a four game win streak where I really feel like I "won" the game for our team.

Drow ranger safe lanes, where I itemized against their heroes well (silver edge against a BB with no other break, and a butterfly against a physical damage line up so no one could kill me)
DK offlane -> soul ring, mage slayer, blink where safe lane clinkz and I hunted them all over the, I went somethign crazy like 10/2/35 that game
2x Hoodwink support, i started going arcanes, gleipnir, to greeves. I found that the greeves heal is really something unexpected in herald, where everyone is just brawling. Plus the dispel helps to split push and stall out games, so if I get found I can escape.

I'm starting to really find a good groove where I'm playing the map and my team, not just trying to control my hero, and it's really getting to be fun. So this means probably I'll get to herald V and then be stuck with a 10 game loss streak because I'll get a safelane that DCs at 10 minutes at 0/10 k/d

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How often are you running into that hellish "Zero concept of what DOTA's lane composition generally looks like" kinds of games that you've posted about in the past ?

I'm glad you've seem to have stuck it out; like ILL Machina said it's fun to see a newcomer learn the game and find heroes they jive with and whatnot :unsmith:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sab669 posted:

How often are you running into that hellish "Zero concept of what DOTA's lane composition generally looks like" kinds of games that you've posted about in the past ?

I'm glad you've seem to have stuck it out; like ILL Machina said it's fun to see a newcomer learn the game and find heroes they jive with and whatnot :unsmith:

I've been playing Dota since maybe November, but watching it for years. I'm only at Herald III, so every game I find that no one knows how the game "works". It's amazing that I see people with 3,000 wins at Herald II. That means they have lost at least 4000 games otherwise they'd be higher up.

Mainly I've just been getting used to all the buttons, for a while I would avoid buying more than one active item, but now I'm ok with being six slotted all active, and I'm starting to understand how to manipulate my team so there's at least some direction. Had a couple fun games last night that we really should have won but the classic everyone trickles into high ground and dies one at a time killed both matches.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Drafts in my games are still a shitshow in mid-Archon where you would think people would have some idea of how to pick. You see a lot of bottom 20 winrate heroes, teams with no front line at all versus Axe and Kunkka and WK, and heroes that are only played as pos 5 as your offlane or mid.

I still remember this guy like 10 years ago picked Pugna solo offlane and was adamant that it was my fault that he was 0/13 or whatever.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just came out of a game with an obvious smurf AM safelane. First off, we had a mid lion that was 0-5 by ten minutes. I was NP, so ok I thought I'll have to just split push so I early levelled treants and just trying to make space. The AM was completely afk jungle, until like 15 minutes, we lost a team fight really badly, AM wasn't around, but he blinks out of the trees at level 20, with a Manta, Abyssal, and Butterly, and team wipes them.

The he all chats a smiley face, so a few of them rage buy back, but he's already blinked to their ancient and kills them all again as they walk out of fountain. He does this while they still have their T2s up.

He all chats "I'm so feeded lets end k"

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Dies for the 13th time in the enemy jungle

"Wtb mid"

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
To be clear the Smurf was on my team.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

To be clear the Smurf was on my team.

Ah. Then that's fine

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

Drafts in my games are still a shitshow in mid-Archon where you would think people would have some idea of how to pick. You see a lot of bottom 20 winrate heroes, teams with no front line at all versus Axe and Kunkka and WK, and heroes that are only played as pos 5 as your offlane or mid.

I still remember this guy like 10 years ago picked Pugna solo offlane and was adamant that it was my fault that he was 0/13 or whatever.

POs 5 mid is the tiltiest poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

flashman posted:

POs 5 mid is the tiltiest poo poo

That actually got me upset a couple of days ago. I was queuing with 2 friends, so it was three of us and a two stack.

The game loads and we put our markers on the map, calling 1, 4, and 5. Then with like 1 second to go, one of the other people asks us to play mid basically after we locked in our heroes.

So we end up with a mid Venge vs Viper and their 3/4 lane combo was Pudge/Centaur. That game was over in like 20 minutes.

Just put your markers on and talk sooner. I guess it's our fault for not queuing ranked but still irritating.