Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
laughing thinking about the average hulu watcher finally checking out poor things since it won a few awards last night and wondering how many make it past the half hour of fisheye lens before the movie becomes watchable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Probably going to be me

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Horny Jean Pierre Jeunut presents What If Frankenstein Had a Child's Brain and Wanted to gently caress

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

laughing thinking about the average hulu watcher finally checking out poor things since it won a few awards last night and wondering how many make it past the half hour of fisheye lens before the movie becomes watchable

it’s around then they’ll get to see an old dude nail a woman with the literal mind of a baby and it’s full steam ahead

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Ruffalo and Dafoe def cracked me up in parts but I didn't really like the narrative and its (sometimes creepy, sometimes bland) choices.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Hot take Lisa Frankenstein might almost kinda be better than Poor Things. It's almost as funny, it does also go some batshit places, it doesn't look as good, but I will say no adults having sex scenes with a person who has a child's brain.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Horny Jean Pierre Jeunut presents What If Frankenstein Had a Child's Brain and Wanted to gently caress

Frankenstein is not the monster

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Reminder that The Lobster is still the best Lanthimos movie and should be watched immediately if you haven’t seen it yet.

Dead on Arrival
Nov 4, 2008

Jolo posted:

He's in the Emilio Estevez/Mick Jagger movie Freejack. He's a guy in a suit in a building. Security maybe?

He is Anthony Hopkin's second in command.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It’s never a bad time to watch (or rewatch) Freejack.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ymgve posted:

Frankenstein is not the monster

Frankenstein is very clearly the monster

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Tainen posted:

Reminder that The Lobster is still the best Lanthimos movie and should be watched immediately if you haven’t seen it yet.

Nah, I think Dogtooth and The Killing of a Sacred Deer are better.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Frankenstein is very clearly the monster

Victor Frankenstein is a monster

His son, Adam Frankenstein, is another kind of monster

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tainen posted:

My grossed out weak spot is realistic surgurical body transfiguration. And I gather this movie is rife with that.

I liked Dogtooth tho.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I don't remember any of that but I can't say more without spoilers

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I can understand the appeal and it’s a well-made movie, but I personally couldn’t stand The Lobster. I found it to be mean-spirited enough that it became unenjoyable to watch.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I couldn't stand the Lobster either. it's the only one of his movies I haven't liked. I just found it boring.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The Lobster is also my favorite. I guess you could say it’s mean-spirited but I like that stuff and thought it was really funny. Like when that woman jumps out the window and you just hear her moaning and dying in the background while Colin Farrell tries to flirt with someone.

The “being single is illegal and everyone must be in a relationship even if it’s meaningless or built entirely on lies” premise just appeals to my goony nature, I guess.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 12, 2024

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I liked it the best too but also I just think Colin Farrell is hilarious.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I should give it a rewatch. I might have just been in the wrong headspace when I watched it.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
The Favorite is great too. Killing of a Sacred Deer is the one I have only the vaguest memory of. I can remember some of the imagery from the end of the movie but without context. I guess it is due for a rewatch.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can understand the appeal and it’s a well-made movie, but I personally couldn’t stand The Lobster. I found it to be mean-spirited enough that it became unenjoyable to watch.

Same here. The movie made me feel upset, and while it being a huge downer was probably the point, it's not something I was into.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

wizardofloneliness posted:

The Lobster is also my favorite. I guess you could say it’s mean-spirited but I like that stuff and thought it was really funny. Like when that woman jumps out the window and you just hear her moaning and dying in the background while Colin Farrell tries to flirt with someone.

That bit made me laugh so loving hard, and then I realized I was the only person in the theatre laughing and I immediately felt like a psychopath.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Shageletic posted:

My grossed out weak spot is realistic surgurical body transfiguration. And I gather this movie is rife with that.

I liked Dogtooth tho.

Not much of a spoiler but just in case: they don't show how people are turned into animals and the animals themselves look normal.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

The Lobster is worth it all really for the opening scene to only be really funny after you've watched the movie the first time.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Also the fact that it's not actually confirmed that they actually become animals meaning that she probably just shot a random cow for no reason is extra funny.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I didnt think the lobster was funny enough to justify how annoying it was

On the flipside I thought the favorite was pretty good

Poor things kinda flips between these two extremes depending on the scene

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Victor Frankenstein is a monster

His son, Adam Frankenstein, is another kind of monster

What about Frank N. Stein

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I remember dogtooth popping up on streaming shortly after it came out having no idea wtf it was and thinking it was really weird and rad.

The thing about his movies is I know I have to be in the right mood for them. I was surprised at dogtooth and knew what I was getting into with Sacred Deer, but I think I just watched the Lobster cause it was getting all this buzz and I just was in the wrong zone for a movie like that.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Also the fact that it's not actually confirmed that they actually become animals meaning that she probably just shot a random cow for no reason is extra funny.
It's great that he went from The Lobster where I definitely agree that the animal transformation seems like a big dumb lie, to Poor Things where we see a guy definitely get turned into a goat

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Shogun loving rules
Everyone is smart

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'm 5 minutes into Madame Web and it's preposterously stupid
Exposition Speedrun stupid

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Is Leave the World Behind supposed to be part 1 in a series? Cause that poo poo comes off like a bad TV series like The Event or something

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I usually like Margret Qualey but she's just kind of annoying in Drive Away Dolls.

Simplex posted:

Is Leave the World Behind supposed to be part 1 in a series? Cause that poo poo comes off like a bad TV series like The Event or something

Who wants to watch any more of that?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Drive Away Dolls seemed well meaning but clearly made by a white man who is almost loving 70 and needs to work with his drat brother again. I guess they are, with a horror project next, thank God cuz I didn't like Ikea Macbeth either.
Not to say either of their solo films was like, atrocious. Trying to figure out if either movie is worse than their Ladykillers remake that just feels like a generic obnoxious 2000s comedy, but at least that led me to the loving classic Alec Guinness original (and also I guess it's sorta fun to see Tom Hanks doing his cartoonish Poe-quoting Colonel Sanders or whatever gently caress he's up to in there, and the painting is fun).

Still never seen Intolerable Cruelty tho... 🤔

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 16, 2024

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Upsidads posted:

I'm 5 minutes into Madame Web and it's preposterously stupid
Exposition Speedrun stupid

paying $19.99 to watch madame web is insane when its just gonna be on disney+ or hulu or whatever in like a month

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Wolfsheim posted:

paying $19.99 to watch madame web is insane when its just gonna be on disney+ or hulu or whatever in like a month

My assumption is that anyone watching Madame Web at home right now isn't "paying".

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

this is the streaming thread not the warez thread that is false advertising!!!!!

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I usually like Margret Qualey but she's just kind of annoying in Drive Away Dolls.

Who wants to watch any more of that?

Not me, but that ending is so astonishing that I would like to believe that nobody could write that, and film it, and think "well that wraps up this story."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

What the hell is "Ikea Macbeth"